Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Any Spider-Woman by Dennis Hopeless? I read that run on Marvel Unlimited and loved it.

The first volume actually. The one hurt by the Greg Land artwork. I also grabbed the first Squirrel Girl OSHC but it was remainder stock and had a black mark on the bottom of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The first volume actually. The one hurt by the Greg Land artwork. I also grabbed the first Squirrel Girl OSHC but it was remainder stock and had a black mark on the bottom of the book.

I have several remaindered TPBs from TFAW nick and dent sales, Amazon Marketplace, swap groups, and used bookstores. As long as they're in otherwise good shape, I don't mind a small black mark. I've even had creators sign some remaindered books at cons.

But aw nuts, that Spider-Verse crossover volume sucked. To me, Hopeless' run starts in earnest with #5, or the Volume 2 "New Duds" TPB that introduced her modern costume. Thanks for the heads-up, though! I'm still planning to check mine on the way home today or maybe tomorrow.

EDIT (a few hours later): Hey Rhyno, I went to Ollie's, and in the mishmash of tattered TPBs, they had Spider-Woman: New Duds, looking like it was one of the newer releases, for only $3.99. So I was able to cross one book off my want list, and the odds against them having even one were astronomically against me.

I also got Manhunter Volume 5 (the Marc Andreyko series about Kate Spencer) for $2.99. I used to own Volumes 1 and 4, but they are long gone, and I barely remember anything from them, aside from a Blue Beetle doppelganger showing up after his murder. I have that single issue with a Beetle cover by Howard Chaykin, which I got him to sign. But a local used bookstore I have store credit with has Manhunter Volumes 1-4. Would those be worth it? Was the series any good at the time, and how has it aged?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 29, 2020

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I remember a while back there was a buy/sell/trade thread for TPBs and hardcovers. Does that still exist anywhere, or is the best bet just posting in SA Mart?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Leck posted:

I remember a while back there was a buy/sell/trade thread for TPBs and hardcovers. Does that still exist anywhere, or is the best bet just posting in SA Mart?

SAMart and a link here is what I typically see.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm so sad that King Thor isn't included in Thor by Jason Aaron vol. 4. It's too short to get an OHC release on its own, so it's probably never going to be released in that format now. :(

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

obi_ant posted:

SAMart and a link here is what I typically see.
Thanks, didn't want to spam the thread if it wasn't appropriate. I've got a few older collections listed at the top of this thread, if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937548

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Might be difficult to answer but:
The complete Neat Stuff by Peter Bagge is on amazon right now for twenty bucks. The complete HATE is coming out soon. Think there’s any crossover in what’s printed? They’re technically different series. I went ahead and ordered the Neat Stuff collection anyway because it looks like it may be going OOP. Or maybe it’s just in between printings.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 3, 2020

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

JordanKai posted:

I'm so sad that King Thor isn't included in Thor by Jason Aaron vol. 4. It's too short to get an OHC release on its own, so it's probably never going to be released in that format now. :(

My guess is that there will still be one last OSHC for Unworthy Thor, King Thor, the War of the Realms issues and maybe Secret War: Thors? I forget if that last one got collected ever.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Currently finishing up John's 3rd Green Lantern omnibus, on the War of the Lanterns story arc. It's pretty fun, much better compared to Blackest Night. I felt that without reading all of the tie-ins for that arc, I was missing a bunch of stuff.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

^burtle posted:

My guess is that there will still be one last OSHC for Unworthy Thor, King Thor, the War of the Realms issues and maybe Secret War: Thors? I forget if that last one got collected ever.

I like to imagine that Marvel uses a dartboard when they are coming up with the various Thor titles.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey collectors, if you have been on eBay for a long time, check your eBay messages. You might have received a $25 coupon code for any transaction of $25.01 or more.

There is so much stuff I want coming out in the next few months, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what to get in the $25 - $30 range right now, to make it worthwhile to take advantage of the coupon.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I'll consider this my reward for sending all of those money orders out to buy things in 1998.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I took advantage of the $25, but it took me a long time to find anything I wanted on eBay that added up to over $25, but not considerably over. I ended up finding a TPB seller who listed hundreds of books separately with BINs. There were four TPBs I had read before and liked, but either own them in singles I'll never take out of the longboxes, or never owned them. He accepted lower offers on all four and sent me a single invoice for $32 (including shipping), so I was able to use the coupon code and pay $7 total out of pocket!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
From Hell master edition came yesterday, forgot I pre ordered. First time I've had a hc come with no plastic wrap, weird.

It's also smaller then I thought it'd be. Strange. Color looks good though!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Any word or speculation on what Marvel's next box set will be and/or when it'll be announced?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Heads up for those who can stomach ordering something off Amazon: amazon.com (and certain EU regional version of Amazon as well) currently has the Dan Slott She-Hulk omnibus listed at 60% off. It's a pretty good catch, and I believe Amazon usually honours price errors like these, so get it while it's still hot!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

JordanKai posted:

Heads up for those who can stomach ordering something off Amazon: amazon.com (and certain EU regional version of Amazon as well) currently has the Dan Slott She-Hulk omnibus listed at 60% off. It's a pretty good catch, and I believe Amazon usually honours price errors like these, so get it while it's still hot!

That's a great price. I own the first two volumes and love them. The third volume is also solid, but I think it lost something when Starfox showed up in Volume 4 and never quite recovered.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Marvel has decided to get into the crowdfunding game and launched a new site called "Marvel Made" with a new line of OSHCs called "The Paragon Collect."

It works a lot like HasLab from Hasbro where it seems like they need a preorder limit before they go to production.

quote:

The first offering from this prestigious series honors none other than the critically acclaimed CHRIS CLAREMONT and this collection features:

Faux-Leather-bound 448-page Hand-Numbered Hardcover at 7.28” x 10.83”
Signed by Chris Claremont with 1 of 4 handwritten classic X-Men quotes
Foreword by Louise Simonson
Collects the following Stories:
Uncanny X-Men #94 | Chris’ First X-Men Issue
Uncanny X-Men #129 - 137 | The Dark Phoenix Saga
Uncanny X-Men #141 – 142 | Days of Future Past
Wolverine #1 – 4 | Illustrated by Frank Miller
Uncanny X-Men #268 | Illustrated by Jim Lee
X-Men #1 | Best-selling comic book of all-time
Exclusive new 20-Page Days of Future Past prequel by Chris Claremont & Salvador Larroca
Bonus Content Including –
Chris Claremont’s Original Days of Future Past Handwritten Notes
Chris Claremont’s Original Days of Future Past Script
Exclusive new interviews with Chris about his most iconic X-Men Stories

https://marvelmade.net/

Price tag on the book is $199

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that's an easy pass.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I don’t think I’ll be crowdfunding a book from Disney

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s the market for those things? Just do special orders for the omnibuses and epic collections that are out of print and run them when they reach a specific threshold or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They need to get a print on demand service rolling. That's all that's missing from physical media comics.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Sounds like an insanely expensive take on DC's Absolute editions.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is that a large book inside of an even larger book? I can’t think of a less convenient way of storing something like that.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I like the big ugly Marvel Made logo on the lithographs.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What’s the market for those things? Just do special orders for the omnibuses and epic collections that are out of print and run them when they reach a specific threshold or whatever.

Rhyno posted:

They need to get a print on demand service rolling. That's all that's missing from physical media comics.

This was my immediate thought when I heard about this. I don't understand why they don't put up an on-demand service that reprints certain OHCs and omnibuses once enough people order the new run. This seems like a much worse take on the same basic framework.

Also, the notion that a fancy Chris Claremont X-Men collection is a big enough risk that they need to crowdfund it is completely absurd.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

No thanks, I already own like all of that content (except for the exclusive 20 or whatever number page story) and $199 is loving ridiculous and also Disney can fund this poo poo themselves, thanks

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I've been on a spree lately...I'm doing that thing where you order without thinking about actual shelf space first so thats going to be fun

also done with amazon, they tried to horseshoe a 600 page omni into my mailbox..if it was something i cared about beyond reading i'd have done the returns dance. this was your last straw bezos!!! (except that price error absolute on amazon uk i found that hasnt been canceled yet..dear god i hope the absolute clamshell holds up for imported amazon abuse on top of domestic)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
After months and months of my stuff being packed up, I started putting my office space/library together last night. It's just such a wonderful feeling to be surrounded by the stuff that brings me joy again. I'm only halfway done so no pictures yet but I promise this is going to look so bonkers when I'm finished.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Yeah, it's so good having a space for you stuff.

I recently moved to a new house which meant I can finally have a room for all my geek stuff, and I love spending time in there.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Pitwar posted:

Yeah, it's so good having a space for you stuff.

I recently moved to a new house which meant I can finally have a room for all my geek stuff, and I love spending time in there.

Same. I claimed a whole room as my “library”

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Unmature posted:

Same. I claimed a whole room as my “library”

Master bedroom?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I have a short list of oop absolutes that I'm pretty sure will never see another print. One of those whales popped up via fb, dude was cool with taking 50 less then listed but turns out would only do pickup, a state away. What a Rollercoaster. So close.

Speaking of oop annoyances I was always interested in transmet but it seemed like they made 6 copies of vol 3 and then shut down vertigo the next day making that a fools errand.

They are reprinting vol 1 (and in theory 2 and the elusive 3 eventually after that). Do you think it's worth spending more for the vertigo first edition of volume one or wait for the blacklabel reprint in a few months? It's likely a 50 dollar difference between printings. I was always under the impression that no one gives a poo poo if it's first or second print when it comes to oversized hcs like omnis and absolutes.. Advice? As far as I know the only change between prints is the vertigo logo now dcbl

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 1, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I made an online trade with a guy on Facebook, and one of the books he's sending me is Legends, the first post-Crisis DC miniseries that set up the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI as well as Ostrander's Suicide Squad. It's great, and very prescient, with an angry demagogue on TV turning people against the heroes and dismissing all the good they had done.

Well, I know it was reprinted twice over the decades in trade paperbacks, so I was expecting one of those. Instead, yesterday I received a really pretty hardcover edition of Legends by Eaglemoss, the UK company that made all those DC and Marvel hand-painted lead figurines and chess sets. Apparently they had a subscription service where subscribers got different landmark DC storylines reprinted as nice matching hardcovers, and when you shelve them together in release order, the spines all form an Alex Ross group shot of heroes and villains. (As a librarian, it would really bug me that I couldn't shelve them in alphabetical order or intersperse them with other books on a shelf, but I realize I'm a weirdo.)

I'm not much of a hardcover collector because they tend to cost so much more than trade paperbacks, and I do get obsessive about matching sets, but that doesn't matter to me for a stand-alone story like this. I always loved Legends as a kid, and now that I'm selling my complete Suicide Squad single issue collection, including the Legends miniseries, I'm thrilled to own this hardcover edition.

Added some pics! Note that very squared-off spine and TINY title font:

Note that this is Volume 91 of the Eaglemoss series:

Nice glossy pages. I'm sure the original TPBs were on newsprint:

And oh hey, Firestorm #1, why not? I don't know if every volume from this series came with a bonus issue, but it would have made more sense from a marketing standpoint to include Justice League #1 and Suicide Squad #1, but since I have all of those and have never read Firestorm's solo series, it's an interesting little bonus.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 2, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's see it!!!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Let's see it!!!

Done! (See directly above.)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
That looks similar to the Marvel hardbacks that are released outside of the US where it's a bunch of unrelated collections, numbered with a spine image that completes when you line them up.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Should I be concerned that the gallery edition of love and war/elektra assassin is out of stock everywhere now but came out in April? 8 months seems really quick to shoot up on the secondary market for a pretty mainstream marvel character (daredevil) no?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

The UK publisher Hachette puts out of a ton of graphic novel collections like that DC one. They've done it for Marvel, Judge Dredd, and I believe they're currently doing a Rogue Troopers series. They come out once every month and you can subscribe to the collection like it's a magazine. I own a handfull of the Judge Dredd books, and while I would like to collect them all, some of them have become quite rare since the original run ended. :retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Re: transmet and amazon. My fiance went hard last year and got me all 3 absolute volumes for my birthday, and i think it ran 75 a pop? It was from Amazon and they actually all came pristine, but i really havent had amazon issues. Being 2 hrs from the Indianapolis shipping point may help i dont know.

Now im chasing hickmans avengers omni volume 2 and yikes