Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I would say that the trolling is actually lamer than being critical of GW except people keep responding to the trolling even after salient points are blatantly ignored so what do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

I would say that the trolling is actually lamer than being critical of GW except people keep responding to the trolling even after salient points are blatantly ignored so what do I know?

I know, we should really stop being baited by the trolls in this thread.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Moola please post more and save us from this horrible shame.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

People in the UK should go to Mantic open day because

quote:

The Mantic Open Day (May 6th) is fast approaching, so we wanted to give you a run down of exactly what you’ll be able to do during the day… plus we want to announce a very special FREE gift for all those that attend. You better read on to find out more…

FREE ENFORCER INTERCEPTOR
That’s right! Attendees will get a free Warpath Enforcer Interceptor worth £24.99*. Honestly, we’re not kidding! We want to get the Warpath word out there and one of the best ways is showing off the awesome vehicles, which aren’t hitting retail as individual purchases until June.

https://manticblog.com/2017/04/25/whats-happening-mantic-open-day-2/

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

What game is most similar to Necromunda? I'm looking to scratch that itch again.

Comedy option : Necromunda Reboot.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Oodles posted:

What game is most similar to Necromunda? I'm looking to scratch that itch again.

Necormunda? The Community Edition is free online at Yaktribe.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Oodles posted:

A supported game with miniatures and terrain at affordable prices: Deadzone

A game with rules and some miniatures but is officially miniature neutral: Rogue Stars

A game with rules and no official miniatures: Scrappers

All three of these are skirmish level with campaign rules.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I really really like Infinity if you want a sci-fi skirmish game with cool rules and mechanics (it's always your turn!).

Also I like butts.

E: and no, it doesn't have a campaign system per se, but that's fine because they always make one army snowball

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 25, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oodles posted:

Osprey just released Scrappers. They also have the paperback Rogue Stars which I think is supposed to be closer to Necromunda but I didn't like the ruleset as much. But the real answer here is Infinity if you're willing to learn all the dumb little weapons and gear differences.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 25, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
40k is in serious trouble. GW need big money to keep it going - otherwise it dies far sooner than anyone would have thought.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Osprey just released Scrappers. They also have the paperback Rogue Stars which I think is supposed to be closer to Necromunda but I didn't like the ruleset as much. But the real answer here is Infinity if you're willing to learn all the dumb little weapons and gear differences.

I'm wanting something that I can shanghai my wife into playing, so gear difference wouldn't be ideal. Nice stuff to paint is more appealing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

NTRabbit posted:

People in the UK should go to Mantic open day because
That's flat out weird. That's a really nice model to give away. The thing is gently caress huge, not some dinky little infantry you'd expect from a freebie.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spiderdrake posted:

That's flat out weird. That's a really nice model to give away. The thing is gently caress huge, not some dinky little infantry you'd expect from a freebie.

I would normally be cynical and say they weren't intending to until GW dropped the Age of Emperor news last week, but given the production issues they've been having, it's seems like this would be something they would have had to plan for. But then again the Interceptor is the only vehicle that wasn't really affected by their production problems is the only one to get out to backers already, so who knows? Like if this were the Asterian transport I'd be loving pissed.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's probably a desperation move because they are about to be crushed.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah, eighth edition is probably as looming a threat to them as Age of Sigmar was to Kings of War.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Indeed as I recall AoS put them out to pasture yes?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Oodles posted:

I'm wanting something that I can shanghai my wife into playing, so gear difference wouldn't be ideal. Nice stuff to paint is more appealing.

Deadzone at the basic level condenses weapons and equipment into the basic statline of the unit so you don't really need to know what different guns do to get playing right away. The game is played on a grid, so all movement and ranges is done by number of squares. And Deadzone also has a full range of models and modular terrain, though some people don't like the Mantic art design. I think the hard plastic stuff in the core set is fine.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's probably a desperation move because they are about to be crushed.

I honestly don't think Warpath will sell all that well. They're making a huge mistake by dividing the game into two versions when no one wanted the movement tray version. I've been saying in the Mantic thread for months that I expect them to fight the good fight for a year or two before revising the game back into a single entity and making the Firefight rules the core rules with maybe the mass battle rules an optional add-on.

At the same time, Warpath doesn't have to sell amazingly. It just has to sell well enough to make it profitable. Mantic isn't beholden to investors and dividends the way GW is, so as long as the company is happy with the return, it's unlikely to disappear. Remember, the whole point of using Kickstarter is to cover the upfront costs of the tooling they need to make the models and once they have that, they can make models forever for almost nothing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, eighth edition is probably as looming a threat to them as Age of Sigmar was to Kings of War.

I've just remembered the Mantic Elf sprue I got as a promo a while back. I think I still have it around here somewhere for novelty value. I think you're right. GW is probably terrified of a company who's plastic promo models look like this:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ijyt posted:

Hasn't stopped the 40k thread getting in a hissy fit before.

Fixed that for you.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I've just remembered the Mantic Elf sprue I got as a promo a while back. I think I still have it around here somewhere for novelty value. I think you're right. GW is probably terrified of a company who's plastic promo models look like this:
Why would you keep those? You have bad taste.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

They're not great, but I can get 20 of them for $24.99. They don't have to be great though. They are entirely adequate for what they are. When you're playing on a 6x4 table with terrain and dozens of multi-based units, they look fine.

No, they are not pretty display models. But they're not trying to be. They're intended to be affordable models for a mass battle game. They're also on their way out. Mantic is planning on phasing out the old plastic and getting new hard plastic kits for their armies over the next couple of years. It's a slow, expensive process so there are going to be some ugly kits still in production for the time being.

In any case, those aren't promo models anymore. This is:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't care how cheap those elves are, they are shite and I would be ashamed to put them on a table. I certainly wouldn't waste even the tiniest fraction of my life painting them.

And that flyer is bland as gently caress. It has all the same design issues as the elves.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think it was in this thread where people were mentioning Rune Wars a couple days ago. I split the starter with a friend and got the cool skeleton faction. Gotta say I love the sculpts and they're much better than GW's crap, especially the part about gluing bones together. The sculpts are fantastic aside from the goofy antlers the hero has. I still have a pile of TK minis from a long time ago and I'll combine them with knights and samurai for some sort of fantasy army.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I don't care how cheap those elves are, they are shite and I would be ashamed to put them on a table. I certainly wouldn't waste even the tiniest fraction of my life painting them.

And that flyer is bland as gently caress. It has all the same design issues as the elves.

It's always funny when somebody posts the *~*Games Workshop Killer*~* and it looks like poo poo.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

panascope posted:

It's always funny when somebody posts the *~*Games Workshop Killer*~* and it looks like poo poo.

Different strokes I guess. I compare it to the Space Marine flying boxing and think it looks pretty rad. I also don't consider it a GW killer and never claimed it to be. See my above post on Mantic and Warpath. What that kit is is an affordable vehicle and a pretty decent free promo.

Okay.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No but really, they want £25 for an up scaled Kinder Egg toy? No loving wonder they are giving them away.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

They're not great, but I can get 20 of them for $24.99. They don't have to be great though. They are entirely adequate for what they are. When you're playing on a 6x4 table with terrain and dozens of multi-based units, they look fine.

No, they are not pretty display models. But they're not trying to be. They're intended to be affordable models for a mass battle game. They're also on their way out. Mantic is planning on phasing out the old plastic and getting new hard plastic kits for their armies over the next couple of years. It's a slow, expensive process so there are going to be some ugly kits still in production for the time being.

The only type of person that would want hundreds of those elves on the field for cheap are the guys who will never ever paint their army, constantly pursue the flavour of the week and demand a refund on their models if a new release weakens them.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I wish I could ban people in my own thread.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

The only thing you can do is close it, friend. :)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TKIY posted:

*Shrug* I'm trying to be fair and critical of Mantic as well as GW but they're clearly not interested in having an actual conversation. So I'm just going to take my own advice and stop replying to them at all.

I mean it's the Death Thread. It can be the Death of all games Thread. I'm cool with that. I just want reasonable discussion is all.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Moola for TG mod

Not the hero we deserve but the hero we need

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

No but really, they want £25 for an up scaled Kinder Egg toy? No loving wonder they are giving them away.
Wait what GW is giving away the Stormtalons? :lol:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hamshot posted:

The only type of person that would want hundreds of those elves on the field for cheap are the guys who will never ever paint their army, constantly pursue the flavour of the week and demand a refund on their models if a new release weakens them.

Sounds like the guys I knew who had thousands invested in forgeworld.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TKIY posted:

I think they're just venting their insecurities over their hobby and it's nothing to get offended by. Atlas Hugged's earnest conversation is sadly wasted though.

I mean, the biggest ~GW killer~ that looks like poo poo is, in fact, GW's poo poo. Dunking on Mantic (which gets done lots in the Mantic thread) hardly carries any meaning when their success is almost entirely predicated on GW slamming itself repeatedly in the face.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
You guys misunderstand, I want to ban myself for starting it.

:shepicide:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Chill la Chill posted:

Wait what GW is giving away the Stormtalons? :lol:

Say what you want, like it or not, but the Stormtalon at least is a product of design.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Soulfucker posted:

Moola for TG mod

Not the hero we deserve but the hero we need

Just slap a Commissar hat on that skull and make him mod the GW threads.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TKIY posted:

You guys misunderstand, I want to ban myself for starting it.

:shepicide:

You're pulling a LP on us too? Hell I'll start the next iteration of it then. I just need some time to collect all the fabulous Jojo Custodes and marines pics for a good OP.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Say what you want, like it or not, but the Stormtalon at least is a product of design.

I guess making something out of legos then improvising when you run out before finishing is a design of sorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

Jojo Custodes

explain

• Locked thread