Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

PureRok posted:

1 is still my favorite out of the whole series.

I still remember the reveal of the hidden symbols and messages by Subject 37 (I think that was his designation) being pretty awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Having just played 2+Brotherhood recently I can confirm that the key armor tombs as well as the templar lairs in 2 are worth doing. Side missions for people on the street and non-plot assassinations are mostly skippable; unlike Origins, none of them feature any interesting NPCs or sprawl off into quests, it's just a line of dialogue that amounts to kill that guy/race that guy/beat up that cheating husband.

Brotherhood's side missions are at least a little better about being interesting and you need to do a good chunk of them to hit 75% synch to unlock all the story content. They all unlock items too, which is kinda nice.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

1 is good as a one-time nostalgia trip but jesus if you think it's the best you've forgotten how you get yanked out of the animus every 5 minutes and it isn't even for some interesting modern day stuff, you have to stand in a room, listen to some dialogue and then go to sleep.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I still remember the reveal of the hidden symbols and messages by Subject 37 (I think that was his designation) being pretty awesome

I still REALLY miss all the ARG-type stuff from the earlier games. It felt so GOOD when you were able to snag somebody's pen and sneak a peek at their emails, or solving ciphers and stuff to unlock hidden clues in the Ezio games. Those puzzles were a hoot and I'm sad they got replaced by arbitrary hacking minigames and eventually nothing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

isk posted:

This is a good watch

I didn't know it was possible for me to be more hype for this game

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

I still REALLY miss all the ARG-type stuff from the earlier games. It felt so GOOD when you were able to snag somebody's pen and sneak a peek at their emails, or solving ciphers and stuff to unlock hidden clues in the Ezio games. Those puzzles were a hoot and I'm sad they got replaced by arbitrary hacking minigames and eventually nothing.

The Truth puzzles in 2 and Brotherhood were some of the best content in the series but they unfortunately rushed through history a little too quickly so there wasn't anything left for later games. The lack of payoff from the Brohood "truth" revelation was lame too, but that was probably due to plot changes that were needed to make the series yearly.

Hacking coworkers PC's for emails and in-jokes about working for not-Ubsoft in Black Flag and Rogue were pretty great, too.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/08/10/mercenaries-are-the-mvps-in-assassins-creed-odyssey

Well, this sounds pretty neato.

Endless phylakes was pretty much what I wanted to begin with but now you can recruit them too and even call them for your own backup.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Deakul posted:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/08/10/mercenaries-are-the-mvps-in-assassins-creed-odyssey

Endless phylakes was pretty much what I wanted to begin with but now you can recruit them too and even call them for your own backup.

Yeah the actively grabbing stuff from Shadow of War is getting clearer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What do you fill a latke with anyway.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Deakul posted:

ooh, I need that Brotherhood thing where you just flick your fingers and dudes fly in from everywhere are start shanking people like its a prison riot

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/08/13/five-ways-to-spend-your-time-in-assassins-creed-odyssey

new gameinformer article. i like the war mechanic, where its a endless death struggle and you can swap islands between spartan and athens whenever you want. historically both sides were pretty lovely at least by present standards. sparta was backwards militarist state with a mostly slave population while Athens was expansionist empire that siphoned all it could from its vassal states. weridly enough, sparta treated women better then athens.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 13, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's pretty wild that this appears to be more like Mass Effect 2 than any AC game before.

And :iia:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

This looks like a forevergame on the scale of TW3.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
i started pulling quotes from the game informer articles and was basically quoting the whole damned thing. It really feels like they treated Origins like a proof of concept, and now they go all-in on everything. I'm going to drop so many hours into this game, I can feel it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's a good thing the only thing I really want in 2018 after Odyssey is Soul Calibur 6 because this is gonna take a longass time.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
the only other game on my calendar after Odyssey is Hitman 2 and that's going to suck because it will be the whole game. I was banking on IO releasing the game in chunks so I could at least pace myself. IO had other plans. I pray my wife understands lol.

I would love to see the checklist required for 100% in Odyssey. Goddamn. 7 weeks to go.

e: I love when damage and health numbers get ridiculous.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 13, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Scott Forstall posted:

i started pulling quotes from the game informer articles and was basically quoting the whole damned thing. It really feels like they treated Origins like a proof of concept, and now they go all-in on everything. I'm going to drop so many hours into this game, I can feel it.

thats ubisoft's MO. make a proof of concept, then evolve on it if it works and toss it if it doesn't. unity was also a proof of concept and after it crashed they took what worked and tossed the rest. syndicate was 3's systems perfected.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Back to AC2: holy poo poo, it is painful to switch to the parkour and combat of this game having just played Origins. I had to remap the controller buttons because they weren't matching the in game prompts. Is there a way to block?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Node posted:

Back to AC2: holy poo poo, it is painful to switch to the parkour and combat of this game having just played Origins. I had to remap the controller buttons because they weren't matching the in game prompts. Is there a way to block?

sorta. its more of primitive arkham counter system.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta. its more of primitive arkham counter system.

How do I do it? I haven't played the Arkham games.

exquisite tea posted:

In terms of length, or just a game to stand the test of time?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Node posted:

Is there a way to block?

I recall it was all about countering, like if you hit attack just before their blade connects, you do a counter kill?

And then Brohood added the amazing chain kill system where as long as you highlight the next guy and hit attack, you can just kill 8 people in a row.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Node posted:

How do I do it? I haven't played the Arkham games.

In terms of length, or just a game to stand the test of time?

test of time hopefully. probably more the former.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Combat in AC2 (and all the non-Origin ones really) is super easy. Just counter everything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Exactly this. I'm so hype!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWBKD8DDL2k

boats

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is it the first time they said the exact year was 431? That's interesting because it's the start of the Pelopponeeian War, and the end is 30 years from there so it makes it doubtful we see the fall of Athens.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Kuiperdolin posted:

Is it the first time they said the exact year was 431? That's interesting because it's the start of the Pelopponeeian War, and the end is 30 years from there so it makes it doubtful we see the fall of Athens.

My guess we will because they'll make the entire war take place across one or two years. Kind of like how the show Vikings condenses hundreds of years of history into about 20 years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The interviews seemed to me to hint that this game takes place over the course of like 10 or 20 years.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
if this game has forced massive 300 man battles then are you gunna be screwed if you spec stealthy?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I imagine that's when you call out your shipbros and have them shank the entire battlefield like it's a prison riot.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Really trying to resist the urge to get hyped for this game and you guys aren’t making it easy

With ubi’s track record, im pretty sure this won’t fall way short of expectations but boy it’d be a real kick in the teeth if it did

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

just lol if you're gonna spec to be something that doesn't allow you to kick the poo poo out of people

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Really trying to resist the urge to get hyped for this game and you guys aren’t making it easy

With ubi’s track record, im pretty sure this won’t fall way short of expectations but boy it’d be a real kick in the teeth if it did

It's very possible they could come up short in several or all of these categories but the fact that they're taking literally every specialty feature people enjoyed from prior AC games and putting them all here PLUS laying an entire Mass Effect-style choice and consequence system has got me omega hyped.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Carlosologist posted:

just lol if you're gonna spec to be something that doesn't allow you to kick the poo poo out of people

nah im liking that ability where you fling the mini spear and yank it out of their chest.

lol @ anyone who plays alexios, kassandra is way more interesting

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

They give me a kick, I’m gonna use the kick

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Alexios better have a line where he says "I never asked for this."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kuiperdolin posted:

DLC

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
ahh i saw a video on reddit showing off athens in game and man the parthenon looks so loving cool and so much like the real thing, im hype

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

underage at the vape shop posted:

nah im liking that ability where you fling the mini spear and yank it out of their chest.

lol @ anyone who plays alexios, kassandra is way more interesting

whoa that's a thing? I haven't seen any more gameplay video outside of the E3 stuff

also yup, just lol if Kassandra isn't the main character in your head. why did they even bother with Alexios I wonder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

whoa that's a thing? I haven't seen any more gameplay video outside of the E3 stuff

also yup, just lol if Kassandra isn't the main character in your head. why did they even bother with Alexios I wonder

Check the youtube comments on any game where you gotta play a girl.