Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

leper khan posted:

why not just rename it c++/-- at this point?

Because there already is a C--.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

seiken posted:

OOP is dog poo poo garbage.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Don't you mean OOP extends DogShitGarbage

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

niice

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i'm thinking it's time for a thread title change y'all

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

oh now I get it :classiclol:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Symbolic Butt posted:

oh now I get it :classiclol:

i dont get it :(

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium_difficile_infection

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:wow:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
biology jokes, in the PL thread, in the PoS

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

dont let these forums die

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

quote:

Complications may include ... toxic megacolon...

mods please

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I took up python again and remind me why it sucks? I like it so far. it has list comprehensions and generators and what more could I ask

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
idiot failtards will say BUT PYTHON IS NOT FOR BIG PROJECTS BLUH BLUH BLUH

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

hackbunny posted:

I took up python again and remind me why it sucks? I like it so far. it has list comprehensions and generators and what more could I ask

it does, python is fine. not my choice for projects, but i can see why it would be for people. i like my types too much tbh

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
one legit grievance is that python is super bad at concurrency. thanks gil

if you really care about object oriented programming.... imo that's also not very good in python (but better than like C++, but lol what a low bar to compare)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

hackbunny posted:

Depends. Are you on Python 3.x using MyPy? If the answer is yes, then it is perfectly good language. If you are on 2.7 and using unit tests instead of types, there are some things that hurt a lot (some of which needlessly, like comprehensions leaking scope)

Python code:
x = 0
butts = [x for x in xrange(10)]
print x
prints 9, which is just dumb.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hackbunny posted:

in order from most important to least:
  • it's dynamically typed
  • it has poor support for chaining higher order functions together
  • you can't declare variables
  • no multi-line lambdas
  • python uses UCS-4 fixed-width encoding by default for bad reasons (http://utf8everywhere.org/)

imo list comprehensions are a very inferior form of being able to chain higher order functions together to transform data

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

not having explicit support for OOP koolaid in your language is a pro, but you are right that OOP aficionados would care

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Python is great for banging out cross-platform command line tools, small-ish websites in Django that have an admin page, prototyping stuff, and scripting tasks. Outside of that it has no real advantages over other languages, especially on the server. I'd use erlang, elixir, go, or scala for anything major I have to do on the server, and I'd use C++, Go, maybe Scala for major desktop apps.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

comedyblissoption posted:

• it's dynamically typed
  • it has poor support for chaining higher order functions together
  • you can't declare variables
  • no multi-line lambdas
  • python uses UCS-4 fixed-width encoding by default for bad reasons (http://utf8everywhere.org/)

imo list comprehensions are a very inferior form of being able to chain higher order functions together to transform data

:jerkbag:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
a legit complaint with the unicode though is that it really gets in the way if you're doing low level coding

I forgot about that because tbh python was never my first choice for this kind of stuff.

making everything unicode hosed this use case but I feel like that was a sensible tradeoff on python3, it simplified a lot of other poo poo.

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 27, 2016

Communist Pie
Mar 11, 2007

...Robot!

comedyblissoption posted:

[list]
[*]you can't declare variables

3.6 lets you declare variable types (though not enforced at runtime)

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

these are all correct complaints though. also, chaining operations on multiple lines sucks because you have to stick a "\" at the end of every one or wrap the whole thing in parens, it's real weird

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

list comprehensions are bad because:
  • they are special baked in syntax that you have to learn special rules for
  • they are non-extensible. you only have the limited set of operators that the language authors blessed. this greatly limits their expessibility and you will have to fall back on functions or for loops anyways for anything outside the realm of blessed operators
  • their existence makes it more likely that the language authors will punt on prioritizing the usability of the superior alternative of higher order functions
  • users of list comprehensions may invent absurd shenanigans to keep their code inside a list comprehension to get around their lack of expressibility and subsequently reduce the readability of the code

higher order functions are better because:
  • they use the universal and consistent interface and rules of a function
  • functions are intuitively extensible by the user
  • higher order functions enable very useful abstractions to increase readability and writability of code while reducing errors

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
python is good

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Asymmetrikon posted:

these are all correct complaints though. also, chaining operations on multiple lines sucks because you have to stick a "\" at the end of every one or wrap the whole thing in parens, it's real weird

I don't like chaining too many functions/methods, they get hard to understand fast. even C# linq people try not to get too crazy and break chains into smaller steps and give names to them.

comedyblissoption wants a functional programming language to satisfy his functional programming lust and I respect that. I'm just saying those are not relevant to judge python as a BAD LANGUAGE because python has very little pretense of following this paradigm.

like I agree, python is a lousy funclang. python's lambda is kind of bad and broken outside of the most straightforward usage. is it relevant though? not really because python promotes using stuff like functools/operator modules instead of lambda.

someone make a car analogy here

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
python lacks the building blocks to make a really good functional language. lack of pattern matching in function heads means you need control flow constructs, so you have to write imperatively one way or the other. mutability compromises the value of higher order functions by requiring copying (or at least being extra careful) to avoid unintended side effects, where immutability allows for maximal sharing. not that python's functional offerings are bad, but it's fundamentally an imperative language, and when in rome you gotta do as the romans do

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

yeah you'd be dumb to try and do functional stuff in python. use the right tool for the job

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
when i was learning python i was told expressly by the IRC to stop trying to program haskell in it lol

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

gonadic io posted:

when i was learning python i was told expressly by the IRC to stop trying to program haskell in it lol

I had similar problem in reverse, when I was coding C in Scheme. (Actually I stopped soon enough, but I admit that I definitely started out that way)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Symbolic Butt posted:

someone make a car analogy here

loving civic can't haul plywood very good

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Xarn posted:

I had similar problem in reverse, when I was coding C in Scheme. (Actually I stopped soon enough, but I admit that I definitely started out that way)

this is something that people who say that learning a new language only takes a few days sometimes forget

you sometimes have to learn a new paradigm or at least the foibles and best practices and thats not as easy as learning the syntax. At least for me, but i'm not good so...

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Thermopyle posted:

this is something that people who say that learning a new language only takes a few days sometimes forget

you sometimes have to learn a new paradigm or at least the foibles and best practices and thats not as easy as learning the syntax. At least for me, but i'm not good so...

you're right. sure it's easy when you're programming the same language with slightly different syntax but i've taught lots of beginner to haskell to undergrad students who only had been taught c up until this point so i've seen this first hand

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

when interviewing people I look out for wholesale baby-with-the-bathwater type negative statements about languages e.g. 'javascript sucks' (which is sort of a catch phrase around here)
it means
- they are inexperienced and probably only know one programming paradigm, but they are unaware of this inexperience which compunds the danger or
- they are experienced but inflexible which probably means their skills are outdated and wont improve or
- they are an rear end in a top hat who doesn't even like this job so they are probably going to be poo poo at it and a terror to work with

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
- they are a fan of hyperbole

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
on the other hand

- javascript sucks

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

if someone applied for a backend position and told me "well i dont do javascript because it sucsk" i would probably hire them on the spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
python 3 is the tallest dwarf in the hilarious and adorable oompa loompa village that is the dynamically typed programming community