Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

have you heard about
code:
harold's

I am but a poor immigrant from CSPAM, so when I see the name Harold I can only think of Trump Doctor Sex Cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

lozzle posted:

It's still weird to me that a significant chunk of Indiana essentially believes "man this Mike Pence guy sure does suck. Better put him one heartbeat away from the Presidency!"

No it pre-dated all that and was more "please stop being our governor you embarrassing sack of poo poo"

That he latched on to the Donald and set himself up for political suicide was beyond our wildest dreams. Especially if the lame candidate the Dems were going to run to lose against Pence can actually pull out a win against Holcomb.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Epic High Five posted:

I am but a poor immigrant from CSPAM, so when I see the name Harold I can only think of Trump Doctor Sex Cake

well yes, but its also a chicken place in CHI

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I lived across from a Harold's for a summer. It was not good for my health at all. Also three people got murdered during a payroll robbery while I lived there.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

I-O!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

No it pre-dated all that and was more "please stop being our governor you embarrassing sack of poo poo"

That he latched on to the Donald and set himself up for political suicide was beyond our wildest dreams. Especially if the lame candidate the Dems were going to run to lose against Pence can actually pull out a win against Holcomb.

Gregg is polling ahead last I saw any data come out, but who knows. It's all internals here and even then mostly around the Bayh - Young race

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Epic High Five posted:

Gregg is polling ahead last I saw any data come out, but who knows. It's all internals here and even then mostly around the Bayh - Young race

Here's hoping, but I will be pessimistic until the votes come in. It would be nice to not have a governor that signs anything that the super majority tea party state legislature passes.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

PT6A posted:

Why does Obama's half brother think the President owes "the Kenyan side of his family" jack poo poo? It'd be one thing if they were actually a significant part of his life at any time (he still wouldn't owe them anything, mind you, nor should he treat them specially as a result) but they evidently were not.

gently caress him, I guess we know who got all the brains in that family.

I would assume the reason is that the Luo, like many of the patrilineal and patriarchal (as opposed to the matrilineal and egalitarian ones, like the Igbo or !Kung San) traditional African societies places a great emphasis on filial and familial duty and loyalty. By not helping his paternal family more, Obama has sort of betrayed that expectation. Also, the eldest son is the main inheritor and thus, as his brother said, becomes family head upon the father's death. Thus Obama not helping the family more is also a bit of an insult to Abon'go Malik himself, as much as to the Obama family as a unit.

In other words it's not stupidity, but cultural values that differ A LOT between those of the mainstream in the United States and the Luo.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
It's double funny since the gop definitely gives gently caress all fucks about other cultures and no one would care if they didn't bring him up.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

galenanorth posted:

I was thinking again about that Scott Adams tweet a few pages back. He's setting it up so that if another terrorist attack happens, he can gloat that Obama's policies (and thus Clinton's) are weak on national security, and if another attack doesn't happen, that his argument has been validated. When he's been talking up Trump's persuasion skills, he often points out Trump tries creating these "heads I win, tails you lose" situations. By saying that NATO allies do not supply enough troops and funding, he can claim it is because of his threats if there is ever an increase in troops and funding.

My interpretation is that in his zeal to try to find another rhetorical pairing like this, and show off his psychological manipulation techniques, he stopped putting as much effort into processing what he was actually saying. All his tweets afterward present himself as being bullied by Clinton supporters accusing him of a psychological break, too lazy to present a decent rebuttal. I'd say that amount of effort is only fair for someone who has made his audience unsure whether he's interested in having an honest conversation with them, or he's interested in stroking his ego while he manipulates them.

Why would he put thought into what he says? He's long since bought into his own hype and considers the world to function like his strip: he's the brilliant manipulator Dogbert and the average voter is one of the many brainless fools who need his eye for success or are trying vainly to bring him down out of jealousy. When you convince yourself you are the greatest mind around, having to actually learn things or simply not being qualified to speak on a matter is inconceivable. So he's basically the Pointy Haired Boss, only with added Men's Rights flavor and even less awareness of his limitations.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

It's double funny since the gop definitely gives gently caress all fucks about other cultures and no one would care if they didn't bring him up.

Of course they don't, but he doesn't care. This is just his way to take revenge on his brother. If he's aware of how he's being used, he doe not seem to care that much. Africans tend not to have much kinship with African Americans, so the GoOP's horrible treatment of anyone with out skin color is less of a warning sign to them. Especially when good old petty family spite/jealousy is the motivation.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 26, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Geostomp posted:

Why would he put thought into what he says? He's long since bought into his own hype and considers the world to function like his strip: he's the brilliant manipulator Dogbert and the average voter is one of the many brainless fools who need his eye for success or are trying vainly to bring him down out of jealousy. When you convince yourself you are the greatest mind around, having to actually learn things or simply not being qualified to speak on a matter is inconceivable. So he's basically the Pointy Haired Boss, only with added Men's Rights flavor and even less awareness of his limitations.

I looked up the 'coordinated hit' of articles that made him, uh, switch his allegiance to Trump. They just quote his I WILL KILL HITLER blog and add a sentence of 'well, huh, that's a thing.'

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Are Dilbert Man and Bill Mitchell friends, acquaintances, interact at all? Or are they both in weird, slightly different Trump-bubbles? I'd love to see them on camera together at about 7:01pm central election night.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

try the new taco place posted:

Are Dilbert Man and Bill Mitchell friends, acquaintances, interact at all? Or are they both in weird, slightly different Trump-bubbles? I'd love to see them on camera together at about 7:01pm central election night.

I'm pretty sure that if they shake hands the universe explodes

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

try the new taco place posted:

I thought Scott Adams was just Trump putting on a funny voice?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought Scott Adams was just Trump putting on a funny voice?
While Scott Adams is a shithead, he is also clearly fully literate. He even has been mildly clever in terms of shifting plans around, with his attempt to launch the "Dilberito."

I don't think it's confirmed that Trump is fully literate.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trump is an excellent warning to people as to what can happen to you if you never read a book again after you leave school

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

FilthyImp posted:

Where da fug he living. Rent ain't no drat $800 unless you're living in a meth house.

My fiancée and I rent a pretty nice 2 bedroom apartment for about $600/mo. Montana is cool and good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wow.
https://twitter.com/CurtisHouck/status/791090355248762880
"You can take your anger issues and spend some time working on them, Mr. Speaker."
https://twitter.com/nataliewsj/status/791121534622375936
Newt Gingrich tells Megyn Kelly: “You are fascinated with sex and you don’t care about public policy.”
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/791099220702928896
“Why don’t you cover important issues of public policy, like my friend Sean Hannity and his allegations of Hillary’s imaginary lesbianism?"
https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/791134477833699328
The Megyn Kelly eye roll at 6:29 is amazing
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/newt-gingrich-lost-it-and-blew-up-at-megyn-kelly-you-are-fascinated-with-sex/
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/791122571706167296
"You are fascinated with sex!" the thrice-married ogre declared, his jowls jiggling with rage!
https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/791145966548217856
.@MegynKelly made a total fool out of herself tonight- attacking @realDonaldTrump. Watch what happens to her after this election is over.
https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/791095922709200897
Trump campaign director of social media
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/791121053175148545
There are many takes on this, but what I got out of the @megynkelly exchange is that @newtgingrich is haunted by 20 year old ghosts.
https://twitter.com/PollsterPatrick/status/791114178216005632
However, declaring war on @megynkelly -- and by association conservative women -- is another way to go.
https://twitter.com/PollsterPatrick/status/791114536048877568
I’m starting to think this campaign has some issues with women
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/791106049147273216

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 26, 2016

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Still relevant, still my favorite Gingrich-related item of the election:

https://twitter.com/ChipChantry/status/725386496564445184

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't believe that a candidate accusing the other of being a Russian stooge and him basically agreeing two weeks before the election is a thing. What would someone who time traveled here from the Cold War think? Or just an old person?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Can somebody clarify something real quick like for me? I know one of the main features of the elusive Republican Obamacare replacement plan is to allow people to buy across state lines. But can't you already do that? The only thing is that Obamacare has done is that it provided minimum standards for all 50 states. So I thought you could still buy a different state's plan, but that it would just be subjected to Obamacare regulations. What I figured was that Republicans wanted to get rid of those regulations entirely, but you can still currently buy an out of state plan. Is that not the case?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr Interweb posted:

Can somebody clarify something real quick like for me? I know one of the main features of the elusive Republican Obamacare replacement plan is to allow people to buy across state lines. But can't you already do that? The only thing is that Obamacare has done is that it provided minimum standards for all 50 states. So I thought you could still buy a different state's plan, but that it would just be subjected to Obamacare regulations. What I figured was that Republicans wanted to get rid of those regulations entirely, but you can still currently buy an out of state plan. Is that not the case?
They want to make it so all the health insurance companies can incorporate in the state with the laxest laws so they can maximize profits and minimize paying for actual health care. Sort of a standardization thing.

In actual fact their main idea for health care is "pay more for it, plebian"

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
"You're fascinated by sex!" - The guy who devoted his speakership to bringing Bill Clinton down for a blowjob

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Nessus posted:

They want to make it so all the health insurance companies can incorporate in the state with the laxest laws so they can maximize profits and minimize paying for actual health care. Sort of a standardization thing.

In actual fact their main idea for health care is "pay more for it, plebian"

Right, that I get. But can you currently buy plans across state lines?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mr Interweb posted:

This is a pretty good analysis.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/upshot/the-problem-with-gop-plans-to-sell-health-insurance-across-state-lines.html

Edit: the short version is that currently it's up to the states whether they allow this or not, and it's not effective where it's allowed. The major sticking point is differences in medical regulations between states. The GOP proposal is to let insurance companies choose which state's regulations they want to follow. So yeah it's a big old distraction considering that the GOP controlled states could have implemented this at any point.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 26, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

JosefStalinator posted:

"You're fascinated by sex!" - The guy who devoted his speakership to bringing Bill Clinton down for a blowjob

And is on his third wife. Including one who got cancer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

In the wake of the 2012 election, I remember reading an article about undecided voters which came to the conclusion that true undecideds are by and large a myth and that most people in said category either don't vote at all or already decided on a candiate, but are reluctant to admit it. I wanted to link that article to a friend, but I sadly can't find it now. Does anyone in here know which one I'm talking about?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Instant Sunrise posted:

i mean, like it wasn't already obvious from the no fear and fox racing stickers on the bike, he had to go for the poo poo trifecta.

Okay, this is very, very late, but I just noticed I had this quote open in another tab and remembered I was going to ask, what's the deal with No Fear and Fox Racing? I've seen the stickers before but didn't know that they were as much a signifier of being a jackass as a Trump/Pence sticker.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, this is very, very late, but I just noticed I had this quote open in another tab and remembered I was going to ask, what's the deal with No Fear and Fox Racing? I've seen the stickers before but didn't know that they were as much a signifier of being a jackass as a Trump/Pence sticker.

They're like tap out but for hicks who tear up trails with dirt bikes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mr Interweb posted:

Right, that I get. But can you currently buy plans across state lines?

It might seem like it because you can get insurance from "Blue Cross Blue Shield" or "Aetna" but not really. Anyone selling the insurance to a resident of the state is subject to that state's regulatory body, and each state has different requirements for things like agent registration or dispute procedures. So similar to the car insurance market what happens is that the major providers just establish local subsidiaries - BCBS of Texas, Aetna of Virginia, etc - and have agreements between all the subsidiaries to make it appear seamless.

If you were to call the subsidiary in a different state asking to buy coverage they wouldn't sell it to you. Instead they would just transfer you to your current state's subsidiary.

I have a "nationwide" plan, but have to update my address and get new cards whenever I move to a different state. The only thing that changes is the mailing address on the back.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
:newt: - "We have two alternate universes right now"

you said it man

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

They're like tap out but for hicks who tear up trails with dirt bikes.

Not sure what the deal with Tap Out would be either, but judging from context here it's not so much that the brands themselves are comparable to Trump and co., they just attract assholes like that and are stereotypically associated with them, basically?

Edit: Was just asking because the comparison to Trump made it sound like the brands themselves might be doing terrible things or something I wasn't aware of. Soudns like that's not the case, though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 26, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Good news: there is talk about primary-ing Ted Cruz.

Bad News: McCaul would be much less entertaining.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

It helps that Duluth is such a big college town + incredibly beautiful naturally. I think if Hibbing for example had a big population and industry boom that it wouldn't have been able to play off anything instead of just putting detroit to shame.

Yo, Hibbing uesd to be rich as gently caress from mining revenue back in the 1920-50s. Check out their High School. This is their PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL'S auditorium:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Roland Jones posted:

Not sure what the deal with Tap Out would be either, but judging from context here it's not so much that the brands themselves are comparable to Trump and co., they just attract assholes like that and are stereotypically associated with them, basically?

Edit: Was just asking because the comparison to Trump made it sound like the brands themselves might be doing terrible things or something I wasn't aware of. Soudns like that's not the case, though.

Yeah the closest I can think of is the brands cater to the RWAR I ALPHA MALE type.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Shifty Pony posted:

It might seem like it because you can get insurance from "Blue Cross Blue Shield" or "Aetna" but not really.

For the record Aetna is trash. :colbert:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

earlier tonight her twitter account (and i assume also her show then) was flogging the OBAMA KNEW!!! ABOUT EMAILS!!! story so yeah, she's just yet another one of the mainstream GOP intellectual lights that push the dumb fever swamp blog stories as news and then wonder why their candidates for elected office keep coming out of the comment sections

Yeah, a friend just replied to an old comment from a few weeks ago in which she had linked a clip of wikileaked emails that are curious at best, now she linked "maybe this is what you're looking for: [OBAMA HAD EMAILS FROM HRC'S NON DOT-GOV ADDRESS]"

Yeah, uh, no. It was, again curious at best.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yeah, a friend just replied to an old comment from a few weeks ago in which she had linked a clip of wikileaked emails that are curious at best, now she linked "maybe this is what you're looking for: [OBAMA HAD EMAILS FROM HRC'S NON DOT-GOV ADDRESS]"

Yeah, uh, no. It was, again curious at best.

Are you saying you don't religiously read email headers and note their domains? And remember them forever? If not you are a goddamn commy bastard. :argh:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

And is on his third wife. Including one who got cancer.

He cheated on the one who had cancer while she was on her deathbed, that has to be a special type of slimy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Full-on pinko.

It's like, yeah, the phrase "we need to clean this up" is suspect, but unless you read that and immediately attribute it to a conspiracy, it's only curious.

• Locked thread