Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
They should move the plot forward but without completely invalidating armies from play. It feels bad to collect and paint all these dudes and then be told they're not legal anymore?

But that said things should happen. Cadia and Fenris should both get rekt, but then Cadians should live on like the Tanith First-and-Only, and Space Wolves should live on as a nomadic space marine chapter with no home world anymore, like the Dark Angels or Black Templars.

Seems like win/win to me. Maybe you could even be really brutal and kill off some major characters, making those models no longer legal. But not an entire faction, that's a dick move.

Also since the primarchs are not really legal in 40k they're prime targets for dramatic deaths. Bring the primarchs back, put them at war with each other, and have them kill each other off one by one in a grand tournament of warfare. Every few months have a new event where some huge battle goes down and one of the loyalists or traitors ends up eating dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Also since the primarchs are not really legal in 40k

Magnus invalidated that. It's open season for primarchs. Mega werewolf Russ, exosuit Dorn, Lion riding a calibanite lion.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'd pay good money for Dreadnought Guilliman

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Aren't Space Wolves supposed to have *Reasons* involving Fenris and the Canis Helix that they have to 'be made' there, otherwise you get rampant mutation like the failed Wolf Brothers chapter.

It's been a while, but isn't that a plot point in Battle of the Fang.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

Magnus invalidated that. It's open season for primarchs. Mega werewolf Russ, exosuit Dorn, Lion riding a calibanite lion.

Thankfully you can kill Magnus off all you want, he'll just return to the warp and continue mustache-twirling. One of the benefits of daemonhood.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

PierreTheMime posted:

Thankfully you can kill Magnus off all you want, he'll just return to the warp and continue mustache-twirling. One of the benefits of daemonhood.

There are ways to destroy a soul.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Uroboros posted:

I mean they can write anything they want, but the Space Marine and Grey Knights codex is filled with instances of the same daemon recurring across millennia. I doubt they'd kill of such a plot device, especially since they are the pinnacle of their god's influence on humanity. Hell, Magnus would probably just get warp-o'd away from the fight before the final blow the same as the battle of Prospero.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

JackMack posted:

Which is a nice segue into 6 days to Goonpocalypse III

I hope everyone is still up for coming, hanging out, talking poo poo and playing. It will be a busy weekend for WHW because GW rudely organised a tournament to coincide with it.

More Relaxed format for those who can't face another big game. The default is Kill team played with the fan built Heralds of Ruin rule set which is available free from their website. You construct a list from their own army specific lists rather than the codices. That means you would only need 10-20 models.

There has been a proposal for 2v2 750pt each zone mortalis as we have booked the table. Lord Twisted, Scowny and myself are interested but again we have the table for the whole day so if more than four are interested everyone will get a chance.

We have one big table and two standard size. It is likely we will be cramming three HoR games onto the big city fight board. There is no compulsion to stick to the plan. I am happy that as long as everyone has a chance to be involved and have fun we can make it up as we go along.

I think we are aiming for the sweet spot of being friendly and competitive. For those who have not come before whatever you are imagining, it is probably going to be more relaxed. Painted models for preference but no one is going to be a dick, the rule of cool stands at all time in both your list and tactical decisions. WYSiWyG is preferable again for ease.

The list of guys who were keen is somewhere in my post history, anyone else who want to come please feel that you can. Galaspar, you came a few years back to Goonpocalypse I and I see you on the painting threads a lot, so did your girlfriend who's username I have forgotten (I would recognise her SoH command squad if I saw it though). Krushgroove where are you? Come and hang if you can. Raphus C, you would be very welcome although I know you have just moved further away from Nottingham.

Sorry to say but I'm afraid I'm probably going to have to let you down. I was looking forward to it, but my health's in the shitter at the moment and I don't think It'll stand up to five hours of travel plus a day of hamming.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Lovely Joe, nooooo.... shame to hear it dude but understand it would be a miserable slog if you are not feeling 100%. Maybe we could do a London Hamslam meet at some point as there are a few of us...

Galaspar posted:

Thanks for the thought, don't think we can make it though. Shame, because I've been getting into HoR kill team lately. The young lady was Namenlos btw, and although she neither posts nor plays 40k much these days, happy to say she is now my wife.

Awww that's good to hear. Are you both still working for the same company?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Shame people are having to drop out of the Goonmeet. Hope you feel better soon Joe!

At this point who's still going? If there's only a few of us maybe revert to regular games or something?

Also, does anyone want to meet up at the train station and share a cab to WHW?

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 29, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Dang guys I know life gets in the way, but it could be worse. I'm pretty sure I'm a minimum of a 8 hour drive from the nearest 40k goon.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I'm trapped in Derplahoma City, but my imprisonment is my hatred of long bouts of driving.

I'm sure as poo poo not traveling to Britain in the middle of the school year.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hamshot posted:

Ya don't move the plot forward and people complain, ya move the plot forward and people complain, waddayagonnado? :shrug:

I'm just hoping this is the new CEOs response to the plethora of wolf crap in the space wolf codex, what with wolfraiders on wolfback with their wolftalons and led by wolfmoon mcbeardwolf. Which would mean blood angels are next, except that there is just so much blood crap in the newer age of sigmar khorne army that it all seems unlikely.
It's a damned if you do/damned if you don't thing, you're always gonna make someone unhappy. I don't see them getting rid of the vast quantities of wolf malarkey though - I imagine they won't invalidate models and they're going to continue giving things silly names for copyrightable purposes.

Deptfordx posted:

Aren't Space Wolves supposed to have *Reasons* involving Fenris and the Canis Helix that they have to 'be made' there, otherwise you get rampant mutation like the failed Wolf Brothers chapter.

It's been a while, but isn't that a plot point in Battle of the Fang.
I seem to recall but it's been a while since I read Wolf fluff. That being said, them being a nomadic dying faction like the Eldar could be compelling, and them trying to find a new place to have puppies would be a good narrative hook for games or BL books. The Space Vikings also being nomadic makes more thematic sense than them having the strongest fortress in the Imperium, second only to Terra.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mango Polo posted:

Lion riding a calibanite lion.

I will buy this

e- who are we kidding it'll be an even more ornate Corvex with a huge lion head on the front

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 29, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Zark the Damned posted:

Shame people are having to drop out of the Goonmeet. Hope you feel better soon Joe!

At this point who's still going? If there's only a few of us maybe revert to regular games or something?

Me and my buddy Adam (ork dude) are definitely coming. I'll be bringing 2500 of sallies with a WB and RG HoR team whatever happens as that's just a carry case so I don't have to faff about packing.

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne

Zark the Damned posted:

I'm still down, if its regular gaming i might small 30k and proper sized 40k. I think I'm getting to Notts for 10am, depends when everyone else is arriving but I'm always up for taxi splitting

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
We could always do a larger 2v2 game as well as HoR and ZM. I'm loose. Then we can spend a couple hours in the museum and bugmans.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
Finished up my truck; didn't have patience for a proper photo lab, and these get the gist well enough.

Next stop is some Neophyte Hybrids--some from the Truck kit, most from a box. I haven't heard back from Discount Games Store about my copy of Deathwatch: Overkill, but I'm not willing to just up and buy another elsewhere (even for less) if I don't have the possibility of a refund.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Finished up my truck; didn't have patience for a proper photo lab, and these get the gist well enough.

Looking good dude. Dig how you've magnetised/pinned it all up. It might be the light obscuring the detail, but I think the headlights could use a recess wash or another highlight. Also, just my taste but some grime and chipping along the underside/around the tires would go a long way to make it pop a little more.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

It's a damned if you do/damned if you don't thing, you're always gonna make someone unhappy. I don't see them getting rid of the vast quantities of wolf malarkey though - I imagine they won't invalidate models and they're going to continue giving things silly names for copyrightable purposes.

I seem to recall but it's been a while since I read Wolf fluff. That being said, them being a nomadic dying faction like the Eldar could be compelling, and them trying to find a new place to have puppies would be a good narrative hook for games or BL books. The Space Vikings also being nomadic makes more thematic sense than them having the strongest fortress in the Imperium, second only to Terra.

Well it makes sense that The Fang is pretty much one step below The Emperors palace, but that doesn't mean the planet or system itself comes anywhere close to having the sort of weaponry that Sol System or Ultramar are sporting. In fact the whole idea behind Fenris makes it a rather poor place for defensive weapons, hard to build missile silos and poo poo on a planet where the earth sinks into the ocean every couple of years. The Space Wolves are pretty much described as having very loose ties to the greater Imperium basically getting most their poo poo as a "thank you" for saving worlds, it makes sense for them to have no where near the resources on call that other chapters might have, and why they would have trouble against the smallest of the traitor legions.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Uroboros posted:

But enough about the Ork codex.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Looking good dude. Dig how you've magnetised/pinned it all up. It might be the light obscuring the detail, but I think the headlights could use a recess wash or another highlight. Also, just my taste but some grime and chipping along the underside/around the tires would go a long way to make it pop a little more.

That's on the docket eventually; I just wanted it TTS for playability. My Ork tanks all had really hosed-up treads and chip damage and filth all over.

Bombogenesis posted:

But enough about the Ork codex.

I'm not crying I'm laughing It's both.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Well it makes sense that The Fang is pretty much one step below The Emperors palace, but that doesn't mean the planet or system itself comes anywhere close to having the sort of weaponry that Sol System or Ultramar are sporting. In fact the whole idea behind Fenris makes it a rather poor place for defensive weapons, hard to build missile silos and poo poo on a planet where the earth sinks into the ocean every couple of years. The Space Wolves are pretty much described as having very loose ties to the greater Imperium basically getting most their poo poo as a "thank you" for saving worlds, it makes sense for them to have no where near the resources on call that other chapters might have, and why they would have trouble against the smallest of the traitor legions.

I seem to recall hearing that they had one of the bigger fleets out of the space marine chapters so I'm not sure it's fair to say that they have markedly fewer resources at hand.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Uroboros posted:

I disagree, the Space Wolves are always depicted as being well equipped with both gear and a Fleet.

Also, now exact estimates are all over the place but the Space Wolves have always given no fucks about Guillimans rules and the Great Companies have more Marines than Chapter Companies as well as there being more Companies. They are about as twice as strong, i.e. 2000+ of them, as a normal chapter and again all over the place, some estimates are substantially higher.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Any goons in the Seattle area down to meet up for some 40k goodness? I'm free to travel after five on the weekdays to most game stores in the North East side, especially the Bellevue Mox or Games and Gizmos in Kirkland. On the weekends I can get to the Seattle locations, traffic willing. I've only been involved in Kill Team stuff so far but I'm willing to play in a larger game.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i can't recall much recent reference to the space wolves being substantially larger than they *should* be. i know it used to be a thing but unless it's mentioned in curse of the wulfen or something it seems like it's something they're trying to pull back from.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've just been bouncing around and painting characters lately, and I got around to painting one of my favorite old Daemonhunters sculpts:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

I disagree, the Space Wolves are always depicted as being well equipped with both gear and a Fleet.

Also, now exact estimates are all over the place but the Space Wolves have always given no fucks about Guillimans rules and the Great Companies have more Marines than Chapter Companies as well as there being more Companies. They are about as twice as strong, i.e. 2000+ of them, as a normal chapter and again all over the place, some estimates are substantially higher.

I'm sure they have an overall larger force but once again this is all gifted to them. Fenris isn't known for ship building or logistics, in fact there isn't any real industrial capability to speak of outside of The Fang, so basically you are making deals with local worlds. Additionally they have no successors nor are they known for having Imperial Guard regiments to use as Reserves.

Also the Emperor's Gift pretty much puts to rest the notion that Space Wolves run at Legion strength. They are still a Chapter with a chapters resources, but with no successors to call on for help.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 29, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Posigniat posted:

Any goons in the Seattle area down to meet up for some 40k goodness? I'm free to travel after five on the weekdays to most game stores in the North East side, especially the Bellevue Mox or Games and Gizmos in Kirkland. On the weekends I can get to the Seattle locations, traffic willing. I've only been involved in Kill Team stuff so far but I'm willing to play in a larger game.

We have four 30k hams slamming at Bellevue Mox at least once each Sunday. We haven't really seen any 40k players though.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm down for playing at Mox this Sunday. Have wife clearance papers in order.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

GreenMarine posted:

Also down to 30k slam!

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I'm trapped in Derplahoma City, but my imprisonment is my hatred of long bouts of driving.

I'm sure as poo poo not traveling to Britain in the middle of the school year.

Oklahoma city? If so, northside or southside? I mostly play with a friend who runs smurfs, and his son who runs a chaos army. Be interested in a mini meet at the gw store if you are indeed in OKC.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

GreenMarine posted:

I'd like to sit in a session once I get back in January l.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Deptfordx posted:

Looking forward to them retconning that like they did with the Black Templars.

E:

Uroboros posted:

Also the Emperor's Gift pretty much puts to rest the notion that Space Wolves run at Legion strength. They are still a Chapter with a chapters resources, but with no successors to call on for help.

There we go.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I just assume it has more to do with being so active in war zones and Crusading than respect for the codex that keeps their numbers in line. With the Black Templars if their numbers swell they can just poop out another successor that is essentially identical other than name, problem solved. Either way the idea of Marines not being at Legion strength is pretty much the whole point. They are scattered and dispersed and only come together in large numbers when the time calls for it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I don't have anything against the chapter, but I think it's kind of silly that they're the Bad Boys who dont care about good guy gulliman's dumb book, but are still The Other Actually Good Guy Marines

it's like a rebel without the rebellion

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
you act like you've never heard of the Rebel With a Heart of Gold trope

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

you act like you've never heard of the Rebel With a Heart of Gold trope

yeah, but that trope the rebel is usually rebelling against a bad system, a nefarious other, here it seems like they rebel against the few decent marines because they need to rebel to fit their character

basically less them being good while also rebels, and more them being rebels without actually rebelling against anything

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The Imperium is a bad system, though

One of the big conflicts is Grimnar vs. The Inquisition over the Virus Bombing of Armageddon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Played a pair of Kill Team games tonight, my Orks vs. my buddy's IG. The scenario was one where the attacker had to get off the defender's table edge, and the defender got points for killing attacker models. We decided we'd do it twice, once with me on the attack, and then once with him attacking. The cool thing was he had one of those crazy card systems for his terrain:

It felt like those Starcraft dungeon maps where you had a bunch of Marines going through a facility, it was super cool. The first game had me trying real hard to get across the board, shooting along the way and getting shredded by his Guard. It was a pretty sound defeat but playing on that map was super interesting, and it really made it a different game. Round two he fared even worse than I did, getting utterly shredded at every turn until he got tabled on turn 4. Right as he was about to score a few points with his two men near the table edge, they turned tail and fled off the table. After tallying up the scores from both games, I came out way ahead. While neither game was a nail-biter, it was fun to do an asymmetrical scenario and see who could do better with it. That table was also a lot of fun, since so much line of sight is blocked, and the verticality of it was interesting too. You could only go up and down levels at staircases, which meant the attackers had to move around a lot to get to where they needed to go. Neither player got a single model off table, unfortunately!

• Locked thread