Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
No Ace Hardwares in Austin as far as I know, but the Lowe's around here at least have a better fastener selection than Home Depot.

Would a Napa, Pep Boys, or some other auto parts store be more likely to carry something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Austin's a bigger place, right? They must have a few actual bolt supply stores. I don't know how AI feels about Fastenal but their site says there's two in Austin. The one up by me shipped in a single weirdo metric bolt from another store in the province, no freight charge, on a cash transaction. But there's a distinct chance I lucked the gently caress out on that one.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

MetaJew posted:

No Ace Hardwares in Austin as far as I know, but the Lowe's around here at least have a better fastener selection than Home Depot.

Would a Napa, Pep Boys, or some other auto parts store be more likely to carry something like this?

Is this place anywhere near you? It's an ace hardware franchise I think.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is this place anywhere near you? It's an ace hardware franchise I think.

Interesting. Two of those aren't too far from my office. The one that's actually branded as Ace Hardware is quite a drive away. Are you familiar with them? I can't tell if they're actually a hardware store, or a Bed Bath and Beyond style place that happens to sell hardware.

Eitherway, hopefully I'll take care of this this weekend and stop derailing the thread with boring fastener chat.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

MetaJew posted:

Interesting. Two of those aren't too far from my office. The one that's actually branded as Ace Hardware is quite a drive away. Are you familiar with them? I can't tell if they're actually a hardware store, or a Bed Bath and Beyond style place that happens to sell hardware.

Eitherway, hopefully I'll take care of this this weekend and stop derailing the thread with boring fastener chat.

No idea, just googled hardware stores in Austin. Every Ace I've been to around here always had a good selection of fasteners though.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Breed & Co might have it, but B&C is a little boutique-ish...? I don't know how to put it; call ahead to see if they have the thing, the staff is very competent.

Fastenal and Crown Bolt are good choices in Austin; I've had great luck getting stuff from Fastenal myself.

Not fastener-specific, but Austin Performance & Specialty off N Lamar is a hot rodder's dream if you need performance-specific odds and ends.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 15, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Made an appointment to have the MS6 buffed and a basic paint correction done. Just want to get it cleaned up and to decide if I want to sell it or not.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Fastener update: Breed &Co is like the old Ace Hardware stores I grew up with-- huge selection of fasteners and other supplies, but it's also like if a William Sonoma also had a garden section.

Anyway, the staff was very helpful but they didn't have a fine thread Allen head bolt. So I'll have to go to a more specific fastener shop.

Thanks for the HW store advice.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Replacing the cabin air filter on a Gen1 Speed3 is loving insanity.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It loving sucks. I like the part where one of the bolts for the access hatch grazes against a refrigerant line for the AC.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I remember I broke something doing it. Pretty sure I zip tied it back in place. I am the PO you share a road with.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's not exactly easy in a Gen2 either.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't have a Mazdaspeed but I have to remove the interior fuse box on mine and I couldn't get the two nuts that hold in the bracket out. I'll need to rent an electric impact. Any idea if I can just put the filter in a model that didn't come with it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I wonder if it’s easier in RHD models? I never did mine myself but my normal mechanic said it was a fairly easy job

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

I wonder if it’s easier in RHD models? I never did mine myself but my normal mechanic said it was a fairly easy job

If it's still accessed from the right side of the car, then yes. The fuse box will be on the opposite side.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It’s still behind the fuse box, was just wondering if access is a bit easier for some reason.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So easy on the '14+ models, took about 5 minutes, dealership wanted $60 to do it for me.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

14+ is the new chassis though, right?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MourningGlory posted:

It's not exactly easy in a Gen2 either.

The filter on my gen 2 Speed took me about 45 minutes the first time I ever did it, and a bunch of that was taking apart a bracket that I didn't actually have to take apart.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Ohrmazd posted:

I don't have a Mazdaspeed but I have to remove the interior fuse box on mine and I couldn't get the two nuts that hold in the bracket out. I'll need to rent an electric impact. Any idea if I can just put the filter in a model that didn't come with it?

That bracket was a bitch, I needed to use an extender handle ratchet to get enough oomf on it.

But yes, in a model that doesn't have air filters it'll have filterless trays in the spot where the filters would be.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Ohrmazd posted:

You shouldn't need an electric impact wrench to do the air filter on the first (or second?) gen 3. I just say this because I don't want you to become the PO that strips/breaks something. Accessing it is a bitch, but everything comes without too much fuss. It's just in such an inconvenient location and you do have to remove the glove box along with the fuse box and maybe some trim?

I've replaced mine twice now and all I recall needing is an extension or two on my socket wrench and a ... limber back.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Wibla posted:

14+ is the new chassis though, right?

Yea it is, good to see they made it easier to replace the filter.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Ergh, the Bluetooth in my 2013 CX-5's stereo has terrible latency. Its like a 2-3 second delay and slow to respond to track skip etc. Can't help but feel like the sound quality is probably suffering too if it's an old Bluetooth protocol.

Does anyone have experience with adding aftermarket double-din stereos? Wondering how much of a pain in the rear end it will be in this car

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It's one of the last pre-Mazda Connect cars, should be a piece of cake.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Heyyyy this guy is finally shipping the engine loom to me that rats ate on my Speed6. Hopefully after two years of laying fallow it doesn't Zoom-Zoom-Boom on me the first time I try to crank it over.

I'm expecting anything touching oil, especially the turbo seals, to have soured over the sitting time. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Maybe try cranking it over for a bit on the starter, just to build some oil pressure first?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Well, it turns out the m10x1.25 bolts I needed were only available by mail order from places like Belmetric and Fastenal. No one carried them locally. So, $1.60 in hardware, and $10 shipping later I finally did a thing.

This should be safer than the loose extinguisher i kept on the floor in the back seat of the car.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Welp, the girlfriend hates it. Apparently it sticks out far enough to touch her legs. I guess I'll see if I can make or modify the bracket to mount on the seat rail behind the driver seat, but the seats in the 3 only bolt to the floor on one side, on the inner rail, they bolt to the exhaust tunnel.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MetaJew posted:

Welp, the girlfriend hates it. Apparently it sticks out far enough to touch her legs. I guess I'll see if I can make or modify the bracket to mount on the seat rail behind the driver seat, but the seats in the 3 only bolt to the floor on one side, on the inner rail, they bolt to the exhaust tunnel.

Fabricate a legrest extension.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I would love to have the thigh/leg rest extensions like in my friend's E46 M3.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Can you not shorten the arms that come back to the seatrail? Seems like it does sit pretty far forward there.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Better question is why you're putting it in there in the first place? Afraid of the Mazda curse? :v:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
It's a habit from having previous cars that were, shall we say, less reliable.

I've just kept a fire extinguisher in the car ever since, but it was loose on the floor in the back seat which isn't terribly safe.

I think I can shorten the mount a little bit but that risks interfering with the seat position lever. So just repositioning it is probably a better move.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I've got this 2013 CX-5, new to me.

I'm planning to replace the infotainment system with an Android Auto/Apple Carplay system from Sony.

I'm wondering if there are any other audio upgrades that would be worth making. The car has the premium bose system so maybe it wouldn't be worth it to change anything right now but I was thinking maybe there are minor upgrades worth making like adding an amp or swapping out a few of the speakers. It already sounds pretty alright so if the solution is spending $X,XXX then I'll probably just say eh, good enough and be done with it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I just pulled the cabin air filter out of my ‘14 3 for the first time and it’s stuffed with shredded black foam.

I don’t smell a dead rodent and the AC still works. Do I need to further investigate?

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 17, 2017

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

eddiewalker posted:

I just pulled the cabin air filter out of my ‘14 3 for the first time and it’s stuffed with shredded black foam.

I don’t smell a dead rodent and the AC still works. Do I need to further investigate?

That looks like shredded weather stripping. I take it you haven't driven through any foam blizzards recently?

I might check the intake/filter box's seals to see if they got chewed on and then sucked up against the filter itself. It *does* look mighty rodent-y.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Waffle House posted:

That looks like shredded weather stripping. I take it you haven't driven through any foam blizzards recently?

I might check the intake/filter box's seals to see if they got chewed on and then sucked up against the filter itself. It *does* look mighty rodent-y.

As far as I can tell, environmental air is drawn from the vents in front of the windshield. I can’t see anywhere I could even inspect without pulling the dash.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

eddiewalker posted:

As far as I can tell, environmental air is drawn from the vents in front of the windshield. I can’t see anywhere I could even inspect without pulling the dash.

Oh, CABIN air filter. Sorry, I misread your original post.
I do not know where the ducts run on a late Mazda 3, but the source of that foam can't be too far upstream from the site of discovery in your cabin filter.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

That absolutely looks like the kind of foam used to seal the ducts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

It's drawn from the vents in front of the windshield, under the hood, on the passenger side.