Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Those words? She sounds like a keeper.

Those words, and yes, very much a keeper. She loved the look of the car but after the first couple months wasn't crazy about the feel, especially side-by-siding it with the slightly-tricked-up z31 I drive in the summer. So now we're trying to make the thing less of a fast blob without making it a pain to DD.

Trying not to lower the car for now, because she's not sure if she wants to have to lay out for wheels and what kind, and the stock wheels look like rear end if you drop the body at all. But for the money we might grab one of those too. Seriously, the difference the sways and tower have made over basically brand new stock (car only has 24K km) blew me away compared to what I am used to from Z-cars where a lot of the aftermarket isn't much better than fresh OEM. I think it's about even between "well-designed aftermarket parts" and "the S197 is a gigantic wallowing fatass and anything helps."

We did a 4500-mile cross-country trip in the Mustang. It was fantastic for the actual driving, the ergonomics were great (though I'm only 5-10 and 170 and she's like 5-4 and 120) but this is the worst car I've ever seen for cargo space or access. I mean, on one hand, it's a Mustang, so what do you want, but *it's gigantic*, there should be more room in there, that loving trunk :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The trunk opening for Mustangs has always been comically lovely. On fastbacks it's especially bad. The actual storage space of the trunk isn't good, but it could be worse too--anybody remember the (2004-2006) GTO? :v:

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

The trunk opening for Mustangs has always been comically lovely. On fastbacks it's especially bad. The actual storage space of the trunk isn't good, but it could be worse too--anybody remember the (2004-2006) GTO? :v:

The tradeoff is that the GTO had very usable backseats (once you managed to climb into them), compared to the Mustang.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How much of a bitch is it to replace forks? But 600 for a rebuild isnt that awful, even with 600 in a rebuild and a new clutch (might as well while I am in there) is not that bad.

Because I would like to get something to drive around for a while, then dump it.

I think its easy but ive been working on cars since I was like 10. Like Devyl said you could try junk yards for a t-45 also they should be pretty common.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Scob posted:

I think its easy but ive been working on cars since I was like 10. Like Devyl said you could try junk yards for a t-45 also they should be pretty common.

I should be able to handle it. I am just in severe lack of garage space right now. Anyways, the interior was pretty trashed and the engine had a pretty nasty tick. I am sure it could all be fixed, but the chances of making a profit is pretty low.

Oh well, no big deal!

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah if its ratted out no reason to spend good money on a 97 gt imo.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

FYI nasty tick in the context of a 4.6 can be really, really, really nasty.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Slow is Fast posted:

I am glad they are making the new car smaller.

The SN197 feels like a landyacht compared to the SN95. I really don't like driving cars where I can't see where the hood ends.

Really? I feel like in the Mustang I can see where the hood ends much better than the average car. Out of curiosity, I sat in a Fusion at the dealership, and I couldn't tell if there was a hood in front of me, much less how long it might be.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Bought this Saturday! My wife and I love it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Krakkles posted:

FYI nasty tick in the context of a 4.6 can be really, really, really nasty.

Wow... it sounded darn near close to that.

I am glad I passed. After just listening to it run and the ratty interior gave me the cold shiver up my spine, I am completely glad I walked away.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012
I am anxiously waiting to hear more on the 2015 model, the one thing that scares me is the fact that as a tall driver, at 6'5", I may not fit. The Mustang has always been a dream car but I don't want to get my hopes up. I know that I want the GT Premium, with the track package and Recaro seats so they may help with me fitting better. I am wondering if there are any other tall people here that can get my hopes back up. I haven't had time to find a 2014 model to sit in but from what I have heard they may be using the same interior on the new model.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Indecision1991 posted:

I am anxiously waiting to hear more on the 2015 model, the one thing that scares me is the fact that as a tall driver, at 6'5", I may not fit. The Mustang has always been a dream car but I don't want to get my hopes up. I know that I want the GT Premium, with the track package and Recaro seats so they may help with me fitting better. I am wondering if there are any other tall people here that can get my hopes back up. I haven't had time to find a 2014 model to sit in but from what I have heard they may be using the same interior on the new model.

I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam (so, normal torso and long legs). There are many cars I basically don't fit in at all, like the Miata (if I want to be able to shift). In the 2011 Mustang, I don't even have to put my seat all the way back. At 6' 5" I don't imagine you'd have any problem fitting in the current Mustang. If the new one is smaller, who knows?

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

PT6A posted:

I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam (so, normal torso and long legs). There are many cars I basically don't fit in at all, like the Miata (if I want to be able to shift). In the 2011 Mustang, I don't even have to put my seat all the way back. At 6' 5" I don't imagine you'd have any problem fitting in the current Mustang. If the new one is smaller, who knows?

Thats great to know, from what I have read the cabin for the car is going to be carried over so as long as that is the case I should fit fine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm 6'9, 260lbs with a 38" inseam. There aren't many vehicles i would say i couldn't drive because of my height. FD RX-7, miata, and S2000 are out, but even the 370z and BR-Z aren't terribly uncomfortable. comparatively, the mustang is huge, and is still being made primarily for an american audience.

I guarantee you will fit in the new one, and there will more than likely be another 3-4 inches to be gained in the seat pedestal.

This is what i look like(although i was around 360lbs in this picture), in an FD RX-7, and i find the mustang comfortable, moreso than the current camaro.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Powershift posted:

I'm 6'9, 260lbs with a 38" inseam. There aren't many vehicles i would say i couldn't drive because of my height. FD RX-7, miata, and S2000 are out, but even the 370z and BR-Z aren't terribly uncomfortable. comparatively, the mustang is huge, and is still being made primarily for an american audience.

I guarantee you will fit in the new one, and there will more than likely be another 3-4 inches to be gained in the seat pedestal.

This is what i look like(although i was around 360lbs in this picture), in an FD RX-7, and i find the mustang comfortable, moreso than the current camaro.

Awesome, you guys have just renewed my excitement for the car.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Since I have stuff pretty much sorted out and am up to date with service with my '00, I'm thinking about suspension improvements and have a couple questions.

The idea is to maintain a stock-ish ride height because I like how the bumper clears curbs, but stiffen it up a bit and give it less floppy handling characteristics - no track time intended, just improvements for the commute, occasional pleasure cruising, and maybe 1-2 time-only autocrosses a year. I am specifically after a non-adjustable setup because if not I will endlessly fiddle with adjustments and I just want to drive the car.

I'd like to put on some progressive rate springs. Looks like the M-5300-B (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=271) lowering kit from Ford Racing fits the bill for springs - close to stock rate (425-530lb in front vs. 450 linear stock), minimal drop. The other spring I was looking at is the factory Bullitt springs, which are about as low as the Ford Racing set but have a 650lb linear rate for the front and I suspect it may be too harsh for me - are they harsh?

Would Tokico HPs be a good match for stockish-rate springs or even recommended for a Mustang? I was also looking at Bilstein HDs, but am not sure if they're worth the considerably higher cost. Any general suggestions on street/sport dampers? I am told just about anything is better than stock, is that right?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 26, 2013

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I would probably just do springs first and see how that feels because dampers don't affect how far the noise dives down, they just affect at what rate it dives down.

Stiffer front sway bar will help reduce side to side roll too, I personally don't like stiff rear sway bars, but it would also help reduce your floppy ride.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Has anyone been able to guesstimate the size of the 2015 from all the spy shots? If Ford can make a car the size of my WRX instead of a battleship, with 400+ horsepower, I'm sold.

blargle fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 26, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blargle posted:

Has anyone been able to guesstimate the size of the 2015 from all the spy shots? If Ford can make a car the size of my WRX instead of a battleship, with 400+ horsepower, I'm sold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IheaziwE9Fs

In this video, it drives near an accord coupe and a current mustang.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I would probably just do springs first and see how that feels because dampers don't affect how far the noise dives down, they just affect at what rate it dives down.

Stiffer front sway bar will help reduce side to side roll too, I personally don't like stiff rear sway bars, but it would also help reduce your floppy ride.

I was thinking that better dampening could help over washboarded roads that are common around here, I feel like the wheels tend to bounce over the crests rather than stay on the road.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

I was thinking that better dampening could help over washboarded roads that are common around here, I feel like the wheels tend to bounce over the crests rather than stay on the road.

Welp, washboarded roads are alien to me, tell the Subaru guys you wanna get your Mustang into rallycross and want some setup tips.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Apollo posted:

Bought this Saturday! My wife and I love it.

Grats!

That is a beautiful car

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Tide posted:

Grats!

That is a beautiful car

Thank you! Got a hell of a deal on it.

First thing I want to do is add some dark blue lemans stripes to give it 'variety.' :D

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Is there a site where you can just buy the bolts and nuts for parts instead of the entire parts with the nuts and bolts, like when you need to discard the used items?

edit: Nevermind, jesus I found a dealer on the other side of the country with bolts in their online inventory.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 27, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you know the specs, http://www.mcmaster.com/

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Is there anything to discourage bees from taking up residence in the honeycomb grill on my fake hood scoop? They haven't built a nest yet but it seems every time I fire it up at least one buzzes away.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

thebigcow posted:

Is there anything to discourage bees from taking up residence in the honeycomb grill on my fake hood scoop? They haven't built a nest yet but it seems every time I fire it up at least one buzzes away.

Drive it daily?

dont use glue on fake body mods

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A.o.D. posted:

dont use glue on fake body mods

Don't the SN95/New Edge models have fake scoops from the factory?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Don't the SN95/New Edge models have fake scoops from the factory?

They do, but I don't think they're compulsory. Also, don't take everything I say seriously.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Also if you have a local Fastenal they have or can get most things. Unfortunately, for anything slightly atypical (something automotive specific) they will give you dumb looks.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Well for any of those folks still following along at home, Ford finally decided they would repurchase my 2012 CS Mustang GT. It only took being in the shop for 7 weeks... The hosed up part is I really want to get a Boss 302(because I cant think of anything better to spend 45 k on) and supercharge it. Someone please talk me out of this and tell me to buy a loving Prius or some poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

45k can buy you a shitload of Fox body. :getin:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mattwhoo posted:

Well for any of those folks still following along at home, Ford finally decided they would repurchase my 2012 CS Mustang GT. It only took being in the shop for 7 weeks... The hosed up part is I really want to get a Boss 302(because I cant think of anything better to spend 45 k on) and supercharge it. Someone please talk me out of this and tell me to buy a loving Prius or some poo poo.

Do you want to drive green or just be a smug poo poo?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Fucknag posted:

45k can buy you a shitload of Fox body. :getin:

And thats exactly what you have when you buy it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mattwhoo posted:

Don't supercharge a Boss302 :colbert: That's totally defeating the point of getting that motor! If I were going to spend supercharger money on mine, I'd go for a set of the Boss302-R wheels, aaaaand.. I dunno. If you got a 2012, maybe swap to the 2013 grill for better cooling, and 2013 HID headlamps (Or just retrofit your stock ones with some nice projectors). Maaaaybe the rear spoiler from a Laguna Seca (I like the slight pedestal style the LS has, vs the stock non-LS version). It's hard to really improve things on this car, since it is set up so damned well from the get-go.

Only thing that's been at all balky is the transmission reallllly not wanting to shift gears smoothly while cold (Mostly 1->2 and 2->3). On hot days of if I've been driving for a while (Longer than it takes the engine to come up to temperature, usually more like an hour), it's perfect.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 30, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

CarForumPoster posted:

And thats exactly what you have when you buy it.

Not sure if that's worse than an SN197.

Gwaihir posted:

On hot days of if I've been driving for a while (Longer than it takes the engine to come up to temperature, usually more like an hour), it's perfect.

This is far from perfect.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

clutchpuck posted:

Not sure if that's worse than an SN197.

This is far from perfect.

Do you mean SN95 or S197? Agreed the SN95 is also a piece of poo poo. A 1996 5 speed 3.8L Mustang is one of the worst cars I have ever driven. Cant compare a fox body to the current generation of Mustang though.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

:colbert:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

New update for Project Ugly Horse. The dude moved from Autoblog to Road and Track so updates are hosted there now. He got the engine pulled.

I must say that the pop-down header on the R&T website is really loving annoying with no way to hide it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I thought this link was pretty neato. Shows failed Mustang designs through the years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/08/30/ford-mustangs-bombed/2735827/