Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Actually, it's Resurroion

That clearly says "Resurrximn"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Calling it, all remaining mutants get terrigenesised into Inhumans to save them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, the shocking answer to what Squirrel Girl is if she's not a mutant! Inhuman

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

We've got a good Scott right now. Let the old one lovely one die.

There is no old lovely Scott, so I dunno what you're talking about.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wait is ResurrXion seriously the confirmed name of the event because that's so terrible it is literally making me poo poo blood from my eyes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The O stands for InhumOns.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Wait is ResurrXion seriously the confirmed name of the event because that's so terrible it is literally making me poo poo blood from my eyes.

Look at this young whippersnapper that never lived through X-Cutioner's Song, X-Tinction Agenda, and X-Termination. Having X stand out like a sore thumb is an X-Men crossover tradtion. I mean on a scale of 1 to 10 (X-Cutioner's Song) I'd only give ResurrXion a 7 at best.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I love Inhumans and all, read both of their comics, but I think Marv have a really poor read of what people want to see ATM.

It feels like they're trying to redirect course after trying and failing to replace mutants with Inhumans. Cancelling the movie makes it seem like corporate probably eased up on the pressure to make it work. Fox is still making money with the X-Men, though, so there's no obvious answer of which direction to go now. It sucks because I also like the Inhuman books, but still couldn't give a poo poo about them as a whole.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Look at this young whippersnapper that never lived through X-Cutioner's Song, X-Tinction Agenda, and X-Termination. Having X stand out like a sore thumb is an X-Men crossover tradtion. I mean on a scale of 1 to 10 (X-Cutioner's Song) I'd only give ResurrXion a 7 at best.
At least those names are actually replacing letters that sound like X! There's no X sound in resurrection! It's just an ECT sound!

:negative:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Practical Demon posted:

It feels like they're trying to redirect course after trying and failing to replace mutants with Inhumans. Cancelling the movie makes it seem like corporate probably eased up on the pressure to make it work. Fox is still making money with the X-Men, though, so there's no obvious answer of which direction to go now. It sucks because I also like the Inhuman books, but still couldn't give a poo poo about them as a whole.

When was the movie cancelled?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

When was the movie cancelled?

A few months ago. The AoS showrunners were told they now have free reign to use any Inhuman characters they want on the show so it's totally dead.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

A few months ago. The AoS showrunners were told they now have free reign to use any Inhuman characters they want on the show so it's totally dead.

Well, that's unfortunate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Well, that's unfortunate.

I know, the prospect of additional seasons of AoS depresses me as well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like this is the dumbest panel from a CW2 tie-in for reasons I can't quite explain very well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I mean generally. They should be feeling the funk that's been collecting since Secret Wars and shaking the tree much harder than this stuff.
Maybe folks have been way into ANAD, Pleasant Hill, etc, but my interest in the world is a blip of what it was for the original NOW! eras. Those were genuinely exciting times and now I barely care.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Roth posted:

I feel like this is the dumbest panel from a CW2 tie-in for reasons I can't quite explain very well.

Editorial might not like it if she said don't worry Miguel nothing occurring in your timeline right now will matter by next year

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

No, I think it works pretty well. "Civil Wars are dumb, don't get involved in them" is sound advice for a time traveler. I mean, the dumbest panel from a CW2 tie-in this week would probably be from Spider-Man where Bombshell straight up says "Hey Miles, you know you don't have to get involved in a superhero conflict that might lead to your serious injury and/or death just because Tony Stark asked you nicely" and Miles goes "Nah I think I'm gonna".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Actually, it's Resurroion

good to see the guy who named those british-only WWF pay-per-views in the early 2000s landed on his feet

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Inhumans vs X-men 3: X harder.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Onmi posted:

It's not like Marvel particularly cares how well their books are doing anymore. They've been keeping books around that would have been cancelled for numbers like that years ago. They already know their bread is buttered with the movies and the comics division is more an experiment for the next movie property or storyline. Like... I just don't think they really give a poo poo if they do bad with the comics anymore.
I keep hearing this repeated and it's just as stupid as the burying the X-Men thing.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-40-of-our-readers-are-female-and-our-sales-are-just-fine-thanks/

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I mean generally. They should be feeling the funk that's been collecting since Secret Wars and shaking the tree much harder than this stuff.
Maybe folks have been way into ANAD, Pleasant Hill, etc, but my interest in the world is a blip of what it was for the original NOW! eras. Those were genuinely exciting times and now I barely care.

I agree with that, in general. I really liked Secret Wars, and was really excited about a majority of the titles going into ANAD. Now though...I feel like there's a lot of wasted potential, and that the overall continuity is spinning its wheels with the tie ins. Having two or three a year with less impact from each one just seems to hurt most of the individual books.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good stuff to come out of ANAD

Squirrel Girl (oops that was continuing)
Ms Marvel (ditto)
Hellcat
Weirdworld (RIP)
Vision (:ohdear:)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've really enjoyed Vision, Totally Awesome Hulk, Carnage, Spider-Man/Deadpool, Astonishing Ant-Man, Drax, The Ultimates, Squadron Supreme, Black Panther, Moon Knight, and Nighthawk out of the Marvel series that launched with ANAD/in the past few months.

Really, the main downer has been Civil War 2 for Marvel for me this year. I've been largely indifferent to basically everything else.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Threep posted:

I keep hearing this repeated and it's just as stupid as the burying the X-Men thing.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-40-of-our-readers-are-female-and-our-sales-are-just-fine-thanks/

"Marvel has investigated Marvel and has found that Marvel is doing fine."

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-07.html

Don't worry I'm sure the digital sales are all magical and numerous and smashing the charts. It's a pity we can't actually check those numbers ourselves. So going off the figures we can check for ourselves, no, Marvel is doing awfully. And if they weren't doing Awfully I'm sure they'd be boasting more about how many books they're selling and not about how diverse the demographic is.

EDIT: Look, I want Marvel to be doing well, more people reading comics is inherently a good thing. But the only numbers we have do not support that assertion. Which is fine, because Marvel doesn't care anyway, some of these books are far below cancellation numbers and they aren't going to be canned, because Marvel's got Disney money so they're allowed to do stuff like Squirrel Girl and have it not do amazing.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 2, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nobody talks about Black Widow. It's been really good.

And ANAD Marvel gave us Mockingbird. I'm also digging Doctor Strange, and Thor continues to be good. I'm really happy with post Secret Wars Marvel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

The O stands for InhumOns.

The Ferengi are in it too?!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Buy One Get One sale on at Comixology.
https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Buy-One-Get-One-New/page/12003?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I really want a Songbird solo series. I don't exactly know what it would entail but I've almost finished reading through Thunderbolts (and I'm loving Ewing's New Avengers) and I really, really like Melissa. Maybe she'll join another Avengers team if she's not going to be in US Avengers? Or just go solo hero on her own for the first time?
I hope she doesn't end up in the current Thunderbolts run though. It's so boring, shows no sign of there being any interesting relationships continuing/developing and the art is really bad. It looks half finished most of the time and is super bland with drab backgrounds and uninspired action. The colourist is trying to bring that classic late 90s T-Bolts feel, but it can't save the the linework.

EDIT: I'm thinking that Joelle Jones paired with Kelly Thompson or Marjorie Liu would be perfect.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 2, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

"Marvel has investigated Marvel and has found that Marvel is doing fine."

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-07.html

Don't worry I'm sure the digital sales are all magical and numerous and smashing the charts. It's a pity we can't actually check those numbers ourselves. So going off the figures we can check for ourselves, no, Marvel is doing awfully. And if they weren't doing Awfully I'm sure they'd be boasting more about how many books they're selling and not about how diverse the demographic is.
I'm gonna try to put this as delicately as I can: only a total idiot would discount the profit behind digital sales and the changing demographics of Marvel and DC's audience. You don't need to check numbers to know that the market has changed a ton over the past couple years and that store sales are just going to get even less and less important than it has been.

Even then, we can factually see that Marvel is factually doubling down on their diverse line-up and comics catered to people other than thirty year-old white guys. Your argument is that they're only doing that because clearly they're just aching to toss Disney's bottomless stash of money into the dumpster fire because that's totally how you run a business, but why is it not at least equally likely that those books just do really well digitally?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BrianWilly posted:

I'm gonna try to put this as delicately as I can: only a total idiot would discount the profit behind digital sales and the changing demographics of Marvel and DC's audience. You don't need to check numbers to know that the market has changed a ton over the past couple years and that store sales are just going to get even less and less important than it has been.

Even then, we can factually see that Marvel is factually doubling down on their diverse line-up and comics catered to people other than thirty year-old white guys. Your argument is that they're only doing that because clearly they're just aching to toss Disney's bottomless stash of money into the dumpster fire because that's totally how you run a business, but why is it not at least equally likely that those books just do really well digitally?

Because there's no proof of it beyond the fact that they're doubling down. But people double down on decisions all the time, Games Workshop is doubling down on Age of Sigmar and it's still a mess. The fact of the matter is there's no numbers when it comes to digital, anyone can speculate that a book is doing amazingly or it's doing terribly and there's no where for a consumer to confirm or deny that. Even look at the articles I'm responding to "Oh the demographics are up." That's great a percentage of different people is purchasing the book now, but you just said it yourself that they're phasing out an old audience, so why wouldn't the demo's shift. To make it very basic, if I say that "The demographic is 40%" and there number I'm talking about is 10, that's still only 4. Giving a demographic percentage is no proof of actual profit margin.

I don't put stock in blind faith and I don't put stock in a company reporting on itself. It's like DC's "We shipped 12 million copies!" Well bully for you how many did you sell, because I sure as poo poo don't believe it's 12 million. Anyway, there's no point in arguing this, because there is no data on digital sales, so it's entirely based on what you want to believe. If you want to believe it's doing well, then hats off to you, I'm not going to tell you that you aren't allowed to believe it. But I don't, and I'll have my mind changed when the data comes out to support that it's doing well, rather than all the data pointing to it doing terribly and Marvel going "Actually it's going really well! We have to keep asking for more printings."

I mean if we're talking empirically, The Star Wars comics are doing well, Civil War II is doing well (even though it's hot garbage, then again there's always that factor to increase sales) and a few of there titles are still doing good. But we have no proof that Squirrel Girl is secretly a massive success, and they've cancelled better selling books. You know this, I know this. But there's no point in arguing this, because there's nothing to argue over than belief and faith.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

X-O posted:

Apparently the whole X-Men/Inhumans event is a trilogy of stories.

Part 1: Death of X
Part 2: Inhumans vs X-Men
Part 3: Inhumans/X-Men: ResurrXion

Part 4: Inhumans/X-Men: Deus X: Inhuman Revolution.
Part 5: Inhumans/X-Men: Deus X: Supermankind Divided.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Metalshark posted:

I really want a Songbird solo series. I don't exactly know what it would entail but I've almost finished reading through Thunderbolts (and I'm loving Ewing's New Avengers) and I really, really like Melissa. Maybe she'll join another Avengers team if she's not going to be in US Avengers? Or just go solo hero on her own for the first time?
I hope she doesn't end up in the current Thunderbolts run though. It's so boring, shows no sign of there being any interesting relationships continuing/developing and the art is really bad. It looks half finished most of the time and is super bland with drab backgrounds and uninspired action. The colourist is trying to bring that classic late 90s T-Bolts feel, but it can't save the the linework.

EDIT: I'm thinking that Joelle Jones paired with Kelly Thompson or Marjorie Liu would be perfect.

Have you read Avengers Forever? A lot of people dislike it because it's really, really continuity-heavy, but Songbird is a main character in it; probably her most important appearance outside of Thunderbolts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Solicits seem to imply she is going to be in the current T-Bolts in a few issues time. I actually think the penciller is the biggest problem with that book. Zub's writing isn't bad, and he's taking time to set up conflicts, like MACH wanting out before he's trapped as a fugitive and Bucky's conflict over using Kobik and people like Moonstone to do this job, Karla's attempts to undermine Bucky... If the book was drawn by Mark Bagley or Stuart Immonen instead of a bad Liefeld imitator, I think it'd be a lot differently received.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Onmi posted:

I mean if we're talking empirically, The Star Wars comics are doing well, Civil War II is doing well (even though it's hot garbage, then again there's always that factor to increase sales) and a few of there titles are still doing good. But we have no proof that Squirrel Girl is secretly a massive success, and they've cancelled better selling books. You know this, I know this. But there's no point in arguing this, because there's nothing to argue over than belief and faith.

What are you actually arguing, though? That they're keeping Squirrel Girl going for shits and giggles? They haven't cancelled it and the print numbers say they probably should, so why haven't they? There has to be A reason, companies don't do poo poo for no reason. The reasons can be BAD, but there's a reason. And the most logical reasons would be that other sources of revenue from the book (digital/tpbs) make it worthwhile or that the critical or demographic upside outweighs the loss.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Have you read Avengers Forever? A lot of people dislike it because it's really, really continuity-heavy, but Songbird is a main character in it; probably her most important appearance outside of Thunderbolts.

I've heard of it and knew she was in it, but Thunderbolts is basically the earliest series I've read so I might struggle if it's based on 90s Avengers happenings since the earliest series I've read off the top of my head are Daredevil from Smith/Quesada onward, Ultimate Spider-Man (which doesn't even apply to 616!) and Runaways. I basically started with Marvel from around Civil War since I'm not so into older superhero comics generally.
I've picked up a lot of comics history reading CSBG articles on CBR and other forms of osmosis but 90s Avengers is probably my weakest area of Marvel history, thinking about it.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 2, 2016

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There are a lot of different factors at play in terms of canceling a book.

1) How is it selling in single issues?

To use two books in this thread, as of July 2016 Nighthawk was selling around 13,500 copies and Squirrel Girl was selling 14,600 copies to retailers in the direct market.

SO THEY'RE BASICALLY SELLING THE SAME AMOUNT, WHY WOULD THEY BE CANCELING ONE AND NOT THE OTHER?

Well, Nighthawk is a freshly launched series that after three issues is only getting orders around 13,500. Squirrel Girl is the 10th, effectively the 18th issue of the North/Henderson Squirrel Girl series.

Two months previous, the first issue of NIghthawk (pre)sold 34,000 copies, and then in three months dropped like 2/3 of those orders. That's not a good long term sign, and for all we know the fourth and fifth issues (which would have been pre-ordered by the time they made a firm cancelation decision) dipped even lower.

Meanwhile, two months ago Squirrel Girl got about 15,000 orders in May, which sank to 14,600 in July. USG may not be selling much better than Nighthawk in a snapshot of July 2016, but single issues have more or less found their equilibrium point, where sales stay at roughly the same point for a good long while. Marvel has definitely had low-performing books like this before that lasted seemingly forever (Punisher MAX and the 2005 reboot of X-Factor) and while I don't think either got quite as far below 20,000 they still kept chugging when their 20th or 40th or 60th issue was selling less than a book whose third issue was selling slightly more which isn't even the case here.

2) How is it selling in trades?

This is a bit more of a black box. Squirrel Girl sells (to the direct market) about what you'd expect for a book that performs as it does (in the direct market). Maybe a little better, and the first volume keeps popping up selling 500 or so additional copies a month. This is a good sign, but not really anything to suggest GANGBUSTERS non-traditional sales. Reading into other tea leaves, you can try to look at Amazon rankings, which are pretty vague but as of this morning all three volumes of USG are in the top 100 Marvel books on Amazon. The Squirrel Girl OGN, which isn't even out until October, is currently #30 on Amazon. That suggests an actual fanbase buying Squirrel GIrl through Amazon. Of course, we have no idea how many books Marvel sells through Amazon so for all we know it's selling ten copies or whatever, right?

If you look at the New York Times Best Seller list for graphic novels, which is a survey of a much wider swath of physical book sales, you'll see a chart that is dominated by Raina Telgemeier and other (mostly) female creators putting out books with (mostly) female led books. Other frequent charters are things like the Walking Dead, Maus, and March, but very little in the realm of Big Two books.

The only Marvel books to crack the NYT Best Seller list in the past year have been several Star Wars books (tying into Star Wars existing), Civil War (around the time of Captain America Civil War), some Deadpool books (around the time of the Deadpool movie), Alias (around the time of Jessica Jones launching), and then without any big media tie-ins, Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl.

Now again, WE DON'T HAVE NUMBERS, MAYBE THE NYT SURVEYED ALL THESE STORES AND ONE OF THEM SOLD TWO COPIES OF SQUIRREL GIRL OR SOME BULLSHIT LIKE THAT. But whatever the scale of sales are, Ms. Marvel and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl are outselling all of the Avengers and Spider-Man and X-Men and whatever else books in the stores the Times looks at.

3) How is it selling digitally?

We'll never know and even if people find out they probably won't believe it and they certainly don't care about estimates or predictions.

4) How much does the book cost to make?

This is also a black box and we may never know but there are human beings who have to create books and also exist in the world. There have been books canceled before (Nextwave springs to mind) that ended in no small part due to the fact that the creators involved wanted to be paid a certain amount (either contractually as an exclusive talent, or as a freelancer weighing options) and while it may make financial sense to pay Stuart Immonen $X,000 for an issue of Star Wars or Avengers or Spider-Man that will sell 60-100,000 copies, it makes less sense to pay him an equal amount for a book selling 20,000 copies. I don't know how this plays into things here, but it's another X-Factor no one ever bothers to talk about when looking at Diamond charts as some sort of objective rock of truth.

Finally, if you search Amazon or anywhere else like I did just now to look up figures, you'll see that Marvel has been rolling out officially licensed Squirrel Girl toys, shirts, mugs, etc. One assumes they wouldn't be doing this as part of a longer "let's waste Disney's money" con if no one was buying this poo poo, and the fact that they're doing it for Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel (and not other books that sell around those levels in the direct market) suggest that yes, perhaps there are people outside of the monthly comics crowd who are purchasing these books and also purchasing Ms. Marvel/Squirrel Girl shirts and toys and phone cases and etc.

Then again, it's possible that Marvel, who were and are currently under the purview of Isaac Perlmutter, a man who if he were not a recluse who refuses to be photographed or interviewed would seemingly be the poster child for penny-pinching miserly old rich men, a man who cut back on the number of bathrooms in Marvel offices to keep people efficient, who threatened to fire someone for throwing out a wad of tangled rubber bands because THAT'S THROWING AWAY MONEY, someone who prides themselves on cutting costs at every opportunity, would somehow decide "ehhh it's just a company I have stock in's money, why not lose it all on a squirrel girl?"

Stranger things have happened, I guess?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I just want to see the X-Men bursting out of hell to thrash some inhumans. Which will actually happen, because the X-Men are currently residing in a hell dimension. They have to live there, because that plane of existence is more hospitable than Earth right now thanks to the inhumans waging genocide against mutants.

Have I mentioned lately that the inhumans are waging genocide against the mutants?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The narrative that Unbeatable Squirrel Girl exists as a money sink has been around almost as long as the book. The whole thing is in some weird gray area between pathetic and hilarious.

it sucks when good books get canceled, but there's such a wealth of good comics out there, there's really no reason to get bent out of shape about how they're selling. Unless you're in the industry, I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maxwell Adams posted:

Have I mentioned lately that the inhumans are waging genocide against the mutants?

Mentioning it doesn't make it true though, because it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't read the inhumans stuff, but I do read some of the billions of x-men books and from what I've notice the terrigan gasses are killing mutants but the inhumans themselves didn't release that and aren't actively trying to kill anyone

unless you're saying that they're killing mutants through inaction or something?

• Locked thread