Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If it helps:

Stupid and angry for no good reason: Yzak Joule.
Stupid and and angry for actually good reasons: Shinn Asuka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ImpAtom posted:

If it helps:

Stupid and angry for no good reason: Yzak Joule.
Stupid and and angry for actually good reasons: Shinn Asuka.

I didn't like Yzak either, so maybe I just don't like the angry characters in SEED. But at least Yzak was supposed to be an antagonist and rear end in a top hat. Like 90% of Shinn's scenes so far are just him berating everyone else and complaining about literally everything. But unlike Kamille, even when he's being a petulant little poo poo every conversation is every character in the room telling him how awesome and special and cool he is, but sternly.

A cooler dragon gundam than the dragon gundam.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm trying to think of someone Shinn actually straight up gets into a verbal fight with besides Cagalli at the beginning and Athrun a couple of times. The only other characters he actually talks with outside the confines of an active battlefield are either his friends(Luna/Rey/Meyrin) or his superior officers(and the one time he argues with Talia she immediately shuts him down and tells him "Shut up, someone take him to the brig").

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Athrun, Cagalli and his friends are the only characters he interacts with in the first half of the series and he's a complete poo poo to all of them except Rey.

EDIT: he had like one conversation with Kira as well I guess.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

He and Luna bicker a lot but it's basically friendly banter. Rey is his ride or die best buddy. He doesn't really get much one on one interaction with Meyrin but she's part of the circle.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Happy end of the One Year War day, everyone!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Did tomino actually watch gwitch or did he just hear that gwitch doesn't feature a traditional war and said "oh, that sounds cool"

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I don’t know, but IIRC the only Gundam show he didn’t make that he liked used to be G Gundam, so maybe he just likes them varying the formula.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
He was happy with Wing being something he wouldn't have made. Not that he loves Wing per se at all, but he does like when Gundam isn't just imitation of his shows.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tomino has passed compliments on a lot of Gundam shows to be honest. I recall him saying something positive about SEED at one point too, though it was more along the lines of it being something for a younger generation and not anything more than that.

I think for all his grumbling he tends to be pretty kind to the people who work on Gundam.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hogama posted:

He was happy with Wing being something he wouldn't have made. Not that he loves Wing per se at all, but he does like when Gundam isn't just imitation of his shows.

He's pretty consistent about this. He wants to see originality and creativity, not just reheated leftovers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hogama posted:

...The show that literally went through Char's entire arc copied wholesale?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

iirc he watched the first episode and thought the main character declaring "i'll kill you" to the heroine was a fresh and exciting approach to drama

he was right

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It is easy to miss out on exactly how much Zechs is a Char speedrun without seeing the whole series, after all.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Tomino has passed compliments on a lot of Gundam shows to be honest. I recall him saying something positive about SEED at one point too, though it was more along the lines of it being something for a younger generation and not anything more than that.

I think for all his grumbling he tends to be pretty kind to the people who work on Gundam.

Even he misses sometimes.

Also didn't he withhold his opinion on the Hathaway film

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I mean, Wing also does a lot of stuff differently from the original Gundam. Like the whole mobile doll thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Shinn's really angry but I can't think of anything he does in Destiny that I'd call outright stupid.

Try to kick a mobile suit with laser shins?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Who the hell is going to assume someone would design a mobile suit with laser shins?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kanos posted:

Who the hell is going to assume someone would design a mobile suit with laser shins?

Finally, a mobile suit based on the finest Star Wars book material:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Finally, a mobile suit based on the finest Star Wars book material:

they did that almost 20 years ago

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

He may have those silver feet, but Shinn has that SHINING FINGER!

Edit:

God drat the SEED remaster loving sucks.

Both uglier AND hornier.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 2, 2024

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Everytime I see standard Seed I go "wow, that show looked pretty bad, but it was early digipaint so whatever" and then I remember that they actually wanted to make it look worse and have done so in every subsequent installment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chrome line posted:

Everytime I see standard Seed I go "wow, that show looked pretty bad, but it was early digipaint so whatever" and then I remember that they actually wanted to make it look worse and have done so in every subsequent installment.

SEED is unironically a show that looked way better when everything was off model.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

He may have those silver feet, but Shinn has that SHINING FINGER!

Edit:

God drat the SEED remaster loving sucks.

Both uglier AND hornier.

the horny standout for SEED to me is still the opening where Murre slowly scrolls across the screen and her boobs just rotate in opposing directions in the least organic way possible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nuebot posted:

the horny standout for SEED to me is still the opening where Murre slowly scrolls across the screen and her boobs just rotate in opposing directions in the least organic way possible.

That does happen in the show too

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the hisashi hirai hater has logged the gently caress on

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

chrome line posted:

Yeah the first one just looks like a normal anime from the early '00s, the second is just weird. Why are her eyes so far apart?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look 2000s digipaint is often very ugly but Hirai did the original and the HD remaster designs and I can at least get behind the SD edition.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gripweed posted:

That does happen in the show too

I must have missed it, or it just kind of vanished in the blur of countless reaction shots where the camera focused on her chest in the middle of conflict. :shepface:

Begemot posted:

Yeah the first one just looks like a normal anime from the early '00s, the second is just weird. Why are her eyes so far apart?

Her right eye is escaping.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

muike posted:

the hisashi hirai hater has logged the gently caress on

It's me, I'm the Hirai hater. Somehow Freedom's designs are even worse than the og ones

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's funny to me that the remaster resembles Murrue more in my mind's eye than the actual character

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Seed really came out at a worst possible time production wise because it had that combination of early digipaint animation (natively SD only at that), dvd encoding at the time often wasn't very well done, and revising animation for home releases wasn't even all that common yet so if something was poorly drawn or unfinished in the original it stayed that way, so it was cursed to basically look worse than everything before and after it for all time. So honestly I think the HD remaster is like a 95/5 situation when it comes to straight upgrade versus things they did that were a negative. Just annoying that the 5% exists, which they did seem to learn from as I'm pretty sure Destiny sticks to animation upgrades only other than giving Strike Rouge some new packs.

The revised Nicol death might be the most well known thing people ding the remaster on but I personally recoil every time I get to the stealing the Eternal scene because while they upgraded the obviously not done animation in the original they also completely changed the music - Seed's soundtrack was one thing that was unimpeachable, why do that? It was great before and the new version stinks!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Destiny HD also adds a bunch of lame fanservice like several Luna panty shots and an extension of Meer in lingerie trying to seduce Athrun.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chrome line posted:

It's me, I'm the Hirai hater. Somehow Freedom's designs are even worse than the og ones

I continue to believe Hirai is phoning it in for Freedom. I don't think he's amazing, but prior to this point he was at least COMPETENT. He's got a problem with sameface, not with basic proportions.

Of course the animation and production of SEED (and Freedom based on those trailers...) afforded him no favors.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Omnicrom posted:

I continue to believe Hirai is phoning it in for Freedom. I don't think he's amazing, but prior to this point he was at least COMPETENT. He's got a problem with sameface, not with basic proportions.

Of course the animation and production of SEED (and Freedom based on those trailers...) afforded him no favors.

It's also been like a decade since he's made anything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kanos posted:

Destiny HD also adds a bunch of lame fanservice like several Luna panty shots and an extension of Meer in lingerie trying to seduce Athrun.

I'm glad to know those probably aren't in the original then, because earlier on there's a scene where she joins Athrun in the cockpit of his fancy new gundam and then for literally no reason at all the camera just flips around and scopes out her rear end for like a whole second and it's beyond unnecessary :psyduck:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Supremezero posted:

It's also been like a decade since he's made anything.

Hasn't he been cranking out Fafner shows?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
There's multiple trailers out now and none of them have had oddly proportioned characters like the promo art they posted on twitter, they look the same as how his CE character designs always did. So I more assume it's the art intern that got tasked to do profile art wasn't very good

Nuebot posted:

I'm glad to know those probably aren't in the original then, because earlier on there's a scene where she joins Athrun in the cockpit of his fancy new gundam and then for literally no reason at all the camera just flips around and scopes out her rear end for like a whole second and it's beyond unnecessary :psyduck:

The same basic scenes are there in the original, just nowhere near as egregious. Like that Lunamaria scene was in the original but it's just a shot from behind her not, you know, peering up her flipped up skirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Also I like how in the Destiny opening it flashes through a bunch of the romantic couples like Athrun and Cagalli, Kira and Lacus, Shinn and Stella? And also Yzak and Dearka. So I'm just going to take that as canonical proof those two are an item.