Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

papa horny michael posted:

yeah, virgil non-ironically believes in the possibilities of electioneering. matt just likes to talk..my dude went on goku podcast and was the most low energy I've ever heard. absolutely hated the anime.

In fairness that podcast is terrible and if I was in a room with those two super loud obnoxious hosts I'd probably reply by refusing to match their energy and going as sedate as possible too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's okay to be horny for Virgil.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

What's the deal with Beltway Garage? It seems intentionally succ in a way that the other episodes aren't.
If you asked Matt who was Speaker of the House in 1884, he would know. Matt and Virgil are genuinely geeks for extremely boring poo poo. The work is when they pretend to be at odds

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 24, 2020

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

idk why the beltway garage episodes confuse people its just virgil talking about elections ebcause he likes talking about elections because hes a nerd from a 1980s sex comedy

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

THS posted:

I enjoy the beltway garage but it was also the first time this year I have truly internalized that I do not give a gently caress about the outcome of the election whatsoever. Which actually frees me to enjoy it even more.

THS posted:

Also I wouldn't say their usual episodes are ironic and this one is unironic or whatever. Matt can put on the hat of "let's talk about possible outcomes of electoral politics" and also talk about the demiurge and constantly contradict himself without being wrong at all about any of it - because no one really knows the result or what's going to happen. It's mentally powerful to suspend all these different viewpoints in your head simultaneously, it gets you closer to the truth. Getting overly focused on wonkery or spiritualism or doomerism is a trap. Keep your mind agile like a bird and springy like a cheap mattress.

it feels gross framing it in terms of trauma, but i think it's still an accurate shorthand for describing the processing of the outcome of the 2016 election. it's been 4 years, and either you have taken a long, hard look in the mirror and have come to some sort of closure and better understanding of america and american empire... or you haven't.

it's an weird and intimate topic to spend time mulling over in your head; however, it needs to be done in order to come to an understanding of the world around you. nihilism and irony poisoning/ironic detachment comes up frequently, but it's been 4 years and all of the stalwart liberals are suggesting that all we have to do is turn back the clock to january 2016 and everything will be solved: is that not one of the most nihilistic scenarios imaginable? you want to live in this awful purgatory forever? i'm the "nothing matters" nihilist? really?

next tuesday is gonna be fukken lit

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Gripweed posted:

In fairness that podcast is terrible and if I was in a room with those two super loud obnoxious hosts I'd probably reply by refusing to match their energy and going as sedate as possible too

they are so bad at interacting with and including their guests, some of their worst episodes are when they get someone with zero knowledge of anime on because they have no hope of knowing what is going on in dragon ball.

now if there was a dragonball podcast I would recommend instead, I would suggest either all systems goku or mondo cool.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

I enjoy the beltway garage but it was also the first time this year I have truly internalized that I do not give a gently caress about the outcome of the election whatsoever. Which actually frees me to enjoy it even more.

at this point there's really nothing left to say about it beyond laughing at the spectacle

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Nothus posted:

Tammy Duckworth?
Being a soldier might not have hurt Duckworth, but being a Democrat in Illinois definitely helped her a lot more.

Kirk was the anomaly, Duckworth was the return to normalcy. Her veteran status wasn't really a deciding factor.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I really want Trump to lose because so many people that I love already have cracked brains and I don't want them to full on break.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I might have mentioned it in this thread before, but it came up again in my playlist for some reason, and the episode where they interview Joe Sestak (the admiral) is actually I think probably the best Chapo episode (in terms other than just humor/riffing). There aren't any super funny lines, they don't own him or anything, he actually handles himself and makes his case pretty well. But the substance of the conversation I think is really actually interesting, far better than an interview by what are basically professional shitposters and a no-hope candidate has any right to be.

They ask pretty reasonable questions that mainstream media would never ask ("Why shouldn't developing countries want a chinese naval base? What makes working with the US a better deal for them?"), actually force him to make a case for those things (which he doesn't do a bad job of doing, honestly), and just generally both ask the kind of questions and get the kind of questions that you don't really get from powerful people (For, yes, an admittedly pretty generous definition of "powerful").

It's a really surprisingly good and thoughtful interview, made possible by a weird conflux of circumstances (They don't have to really give a poo poo about access to him in the future, and he, as a no hope candidate, can be generous with his time and pretty loose with his words) and I think that it would be pretty cool if more journalism was like that.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
my dude

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Still Dismal posted:

I might have mentioned it in this thread before, but it came up again in my playlist for some reason, and the episode where they interview Joe Sestak (the admiral) is actually I think probably the best Chapo episode (in terms other than just humor/riffing). There aren't any super funny lines, they don't own him or anything, he actually handles himself and makes his case pretty well. But the substance of the conversation I think is really actually interesting, far better than an interview by what are basically professional shitposters and a no-hope candidate has any right to be.

They ask pretty reasonable questions that mainstream media would never ask ("Why shouldn't developing countries want a chinese naval base? What makes working with the US a better deal for them?"), actually force him to make a case for those things (which he doesn't do a bad job of doing, honestly), and just generally both ask the kind of questions and get the kind of questions that you don't really get from powerful people (For, yes, an admittedly pretty generous definition of "powerful").

It's a really surprisingly good and thoughtful interview, made possible by a weird conflux of circumstances (They don't have to really give a poo poo about access to him in the future, and he, as a no hope candidate, can be generous with his time and pretty loose with his words) and I think that it would be pretty cool if more journalism was like that.

I remember that episode. they used the a-military word 13 times i can't believe you guys listen to this respectful poo poo.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/273558930448326657?s=19

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

at this point there's really nothing left to say about it beyond laughing at the spectacle

Im going just so I can vote for Ilhan Omar again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

T. Bombastus posted:

Being a soldier might not have hurt Duckworth, but being a Democrat in Illinois definitely helped her a lot more.

Pretty sure being a soldier hurt Tammy Duckworth a lot.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It's a really bad podcast

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
no wonder this thread has 1200 pages lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Why would Matt go on a podcast with two people he doesn’t like to talk about a show he’s never watched?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1308458539237683206?s=20

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Gripweed posted:

ballin out z has like five hosts, maybe? I only listened to episodes with chapo guests

Clibanarius
Sep 22, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/nerdythor/status/1309113398144249859

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Bust Rodd posted:

Pretty sure being a soldier hurt Tammy Duckworth a lot.

lol

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

they're on another equally lame podcast but they tone down the anime voice actor poo poo on that one since it's not anime related

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

T. Bombastus posted:

Kirk was the anomaly, Duckworth was the return to normalcy. Her veteran status wasn't really a deciding factor.

Kirk wasn't really an anomaly. Illinois is a fairly moderate to conservative state uniformly, especially the time period when Kirk was in office. He always made a big deal about being a centrist and bipartisan. Tammy is pretty representative of our democrats too, moderate centrist with big business backing. Our democrats and republicans aren't hugely different from one other, and we really don't have any progressives in local offices.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I thought kirks stroke and year long absence from the Senate during recovery was more impactful toward his loss

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Scholtz posted:

I really want Trump to lose because so many people that I love already have cracked brains and I don't want them to full on break.

I kinda want Trump to win. We're staring down the barrel of a financial sector collapse again, along with an eviction crisis. If ol' Biden comes in, it will be Obama 2.0 where the Democrats nicely sweep all those evictions under the rug and bail out the banks for trillions. But if Trump wins, all that will finally be on Trump, and the Democrats will hopefully get it through their addled thick skulls that they really need to become more of an FDR-style Democrat party rather than a Third Way-style Democrat party.

In reality however, even if Biden loses, we're probably going to have another corporate Democrat foisted on us in 2024.

Still Dismal posted:

You're insane. I actually mentioned that Sestak interview a few pages back. Sestak straight up says in that interview 'We won the cold war without firing a shot' (????) and the Chapo boys let him get away with it. Best Chapo episode is, in my opinion, the Adam Curtiss interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZypbVJ16Jk&t=2989s

For riffing/humor (and also substantive issues), 'The Cool Zone' ep is my 2nd place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_fjr60qiQ&t=5270s

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gfarrell80 posted:

But if Trump wins, all that will finally be on Trump, and the Democrats will hopefully get it through their addled thick skulls that they really need to become more of an FDR-style Democrat party rather than a Third Way-style Democrat party.

lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yes your lol is quite true. But gfarrell80 does have a point, although I'd flip it around and phrase it differently. If there is any hope left of pulling the Democratic part left, it dies with the Biden administration. A Biden victory means that Pete Buttigeig and a bunch of millennial quislings like him get into the White House. A whole new generation of horrible Dems are given positions of power and influence. A Biden victory also proves that Democrats can win on a coalition of upper class MSNBC watchers, suburban Republicans, and scared older black people. So good luck trying to run an Obama/Bernie style campaign aimed at young people and non-voters, that'll be dead on arrival.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I can't wrap my head around the name. The money goes towards voting?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

snoremac posted:

I can't wrap my head around the name. The money goes towards voting?

I think 'when we all vote' is a non-profit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I want Trump to lose because he's one of the most vile and empty people to ever live and I want him to melt down for the rest of his days.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i like both candidates. why cant they both win, and be co-presidents together?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

As long as a single Dem is in any position, nothing is a Republican's fault. If there were only Republicans, then it would be the nebulous "RINO"s' fault.

I mean, we're seeing it right now. When has Trump NOT deflected a criticism? There is literally nothing to be done to make him own up, take responsibility, or feel remorse. Better to just get him out of there now, and figure out a way to hold Democrats accountable without sacrificing the entire country to do so.

THS posted:

i like both candidates. why cant they both win, and be co-presidents together?

this is also a good option

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

gfarrell80 posted:

For riffing/humor (and also substantive issues), 'The Cool Zone' ep is my 2nd place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_fjr60qiQ&t=5270s

The Cool Zone is great: “Back when gangs sang songs, Biden was like Tookie [Williams]’

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Scholtz posted:

As long as a single Dem is in any position, nothing is a Republican's fault. If there were only Republicans, then it would be the nebulous "RINO"s' fault.

I mean, we're seeing it right now. When has Trump NOT deflected a criticism? There is literally nothing to be done to make him own up, take responsibility, or feel remorse. Better to just get him out of there now, and figure out a way to hold Democrats accountable without sacrificing the entire country to do so.

this is also a good option

There’s literally no way to hold the dems accountable though. They’ll do what they always do and just ignore it while telling you how progressive they are for allowing poc to be on the military force that’s currently occupying your hometown with tanks.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

If there is any hope left of pulling the Democratic part left, it dies with the Biden administration. A Biden victory means that Pete Buttigeig and a bunch of millennial quislings like him get into the White House. A whole new generation of horrible Dems are given positions of power and influence

they already are the future of the party no matter what. biden losing means they fight even more viciously to hold on to their increasingly meaningless position. that's how democratic party politics works at every level in places they're in the permanent minority

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1309297116498604033?s=19

Christ

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
We're pretty much locked into a future of politics that's Pete Buttigieg on one side and Lara Loomer on the other.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nothus posted:

We're pretty much locked into a future of politics that's Pete Buttigieg on one side and Lara Loomer on the other.

Only until mass ecological collapse

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they already are the future of the party no matter what. biden losing means they fight even more viciously to hold on to their increasingly meaningless position. that's how democratic party politics works at every level in places they're in the permanent minority

Which is why I had the caveat that they'll foist another corporate Dem on us in 2024 rather than go FDR style.

At this point anybody who votes for either of the two major parties is voting against their interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

At this point I'd rather Trump lose because I have friends who aren't online poisoned and they really seriously can't take much more of him. They've long since lost any interest in discussing politics, it's like a bullet that needs to be extracted from their body.