Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

coathat posted:

He should be free to post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm glad the Beltway Garage went after Bloodbath McGrath.

Why do the Party grandees keep running spooks and troops? Does it actually matter to anybody outside of NoVA? Are there any examples of them winning over Republicans with this bullshit?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm glad the Beltway Garage went after Bloodbath McGrath.

Why do the Party grandees keep running spooks and troops? Does it actually matter to anybody outside of NoVA? Are there any examples of them winning over Republicans with this bullshit?

Stupidity mostly. They thought triangulation was the way forward after Clinton won with only 43 percent of the vote, lost Congress for the first time in half a century, and was re-elected in the lowest turnout presidential election in 70 years in which he still failed to get a majority of the votes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

And the Third Way bullshit was concocted in the wake of the Dems getting destroyed by Reagan in the 80s

What they took away from Reagan was not that they needed better candidates or whatever, it was ‘let’s just do what the GOP does’

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Might not be as much about electability as it is about loyalty.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Third Way bullshit is a bigger and more comprehensive problem; the Party specifically wants veterans. It's one of the criteria to be a Rahm Emanual approved DCCC candidate.

Are there any examples of liberal GI Joe defeating a popular incumbent Republican? Like, Jim Webb beat George Allen by a third of 1% because Allen used an obscure racial slur in public, that's not exactly a proof of concept.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a form of triangulation - the military is generally Republican so if you run a troop you can win over Republicans.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 23, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Halloween Jack posted:

The Third Way bullshit is a bigger and more comprehensive problem; the Party specifically wants veterans. It's one of the criteria to be a Rahm Emanual approved DCCC candidate.

Are there any examples of liberal GI Joe defeating a popular incumbent Republican? Like, Jim Webb beat George Allen by a third of 1% because Allen used an obscure racial slur in public, that's not exactly a proof of concept.
I can’t think of any

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Halloween Jack posted:

Mitch McConnell isn't popular. McGrath is just a big loving nothing.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FlamingLiberal posted:

And the Third Way bullshit was concocted in the wake of the Dems getting destroyed by Reagan in the 80s

What they took away from Reagan was not that they needed better candidates or whatever, it was ‘let’s just do what the GOP does’

A big part of it is that the destruction of the American labor movement seriously hurt the party's finances, and they felt they had no choice but to go corporate to survive. Especially following the disintegration of the left during the 70s.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

Tammy Duckworth?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nothus posted:

Tammy Duckworth?

didn't she mainly win because the guy she was against was such a sociopath freak he straight up mocked her for being disabled or something, or am I thinking of another race.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah Mark Kirk was extremely not popular

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I seem to remember her being the only instance of pulling the troop card actually working because her opponent stupidly tried to call her an illegal immigrant.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm actually pretty confused about McConnell's standing among Republican voters. I mean, they have every reason to hate him; he's an extremely effective legislator but not in ways that benefit them. But these are Republican voters we're talking about; they're not class-conscious unless they're rich enough to actually benefit from McConnell's policies. Liberals call him Trump's enabler, Republicans seem to hate him for...not supporting Trump enough? I really don't know.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah the popular Republicans don't lose and probably wouldn't even if you had an amazing candidate with whatever messages you think would actually work (might build receptivity for the future though, to push a message etc. even if you lose). To me it's more frustrating when the party pushes a neoliberal empty suit in a place that elects democrats, or that Pelosi reps California's 12th district, etc. Once fundraising becomes the end-all ostensibly "political" outfits are indistinguishable from corporations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
People can sense that he's a repellant worm just from the way he talks and acts, even if they can't articulate why exactly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People hate Mitch but he’s probably the most effective legislator of the last 10-15 years and everyone sees him playing ball on a different level, is my read

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm actually pretty confused about McConnell's standing among Republican voters. I mean, they have every reason to hate him; he's an extremely effective legislator but not in ways that benefit them. But these are Republican voters we're talking about; they're not class-conscious unless they're rich enough to actually benefit from McConnell's policies. Liberals call him Trump's enabler, Republicans seem to hate him for...not supporting Trump enough? I really don't know.

he brings home a ton of earmarks and slaps his name on every project and kentucky would basically get nothing if he were out of office

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
he also makes libs mad which is the only thing that matters

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's a form of triangulation - the military is generally Republican so if you run a troop you can win over Republicans.

Republicans want a strong man to lick the boots of and Democratic veteran candidates just babble on about duty, service, and honor.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You cannot run on a platform of “I’m a conservative that isn’t nightmarishly, ghoulishly evil” because that’s not what conservatives want or care about.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

McConnell is the least popular senator in the country.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Groovelord Neato posted:

McConnell is the least popular senator in the country.

OK but how to people from Kentucky feel about it?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nothus posted:

A big part of it is that the destruction of the American labor movement seriously hurt the party's finances, and they felt they had no choice but to go corporate to survive. Especially following the disintegration of the left during the 70s.

taft-hartley hosed the dems more than anything as far as labor contributions goes, but it wasn't the decline in union membership so much as it was the afl-cio under george meany splitting with other unions over vietnam and to a lesser extent the civil rights movement and refusing to endorse mcgovern in 68, plus the collective freakout among dems over losing to nixon twice

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Dick Durbin is the second highest Democrat in the Senate, and has polled similarly to McConnell for longer.

In September 2020, Durbin voted to confirm pro-life judges Stephen McGlynn and David Dugan to lifetime appointments to the federal judiciary in Illinois.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Phone posted:

OK but how to people from Kentucky feel about it?

I have never met a person from Kentucky who likes him. A few old people I know have changed to liking how much he pisses off the libs, but nobody likes him. In the 00’s their rationale was that without him we wouldn’t have any power in national politics. I don’t really know what it was like in the early-mid 90’s because I was 8 in ‘99.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1308908929070575616?s=21

I...uh...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1308912956281942016

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Now the name iPod Touch makes so much more sense.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
What's the deal with Beltway Garage? It seems intentionally succ in a way that the other episodes aren't. The analysis seems more earnest and non-abrasive as if they are playing characters?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

It seems intentionally succ

What does this mean?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

What's the deal with Beltway Garage? It seems intentionally succ in a way that the other episodes aren't. The analysis seems more earnest and non-abrasive as if they are playing characters?

Cosmik Slop posted:

Who caa-ares, we're all gonna die

It's the Beltway Garage

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Beltway Garage is their honest, unironic political analysis.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah It’s the one time they aren’t doing a bit

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

It's not a bit. They're genuine politics nerds.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
yeah, virgil non-ironically believes in the possibilities of electioneering. matt just likes to talk..my dude went on goku podcast and was the most low energy I've ever heard. absolutely hated the anime.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gave up on the beltway garage after like 15 minutes, earnest wonkery is just loving exhausting

THS
Sep 15, 2017

I enjoy the beltway garage but it was also the first time this year I have truly internalized that I do not give a gently caress about the outcome of the election whatsoever. Which actually frees me to enjoy it even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Also I wouldn't say their usual episodes are ironic and this one is unironic or whatever. Matt can put on the hat of "let's talk about possible outcomes of electoral politics" and also talk about the demiurge and constantly contradict himself without being wrong at all about any of it - because no one really knows the result or what's going to happen. It's mentally powerful to suspend all these different viewpoints in your head simultaneously, it gets you closer to the truth. Getting overly focused on wonkery or spiritualism or doomerism is a trap. Keep your mind agile like a bird and springy like a cheap mattress.