Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

GK is my current go-to and I need so many more dudes and GW doesn't have a good box deal for them. :negative:

e; Self-quote for new page:

Bombogenesis posted:

Goons please help me be less indecisive. Before I go off and throw down my money at the wolf alter of wolf wolves I'm weighing my options for an allied faction for my scionskasrkin. Trying to avoid IG as I just don't really dig the tank blob, and a viable infantry blob would require a gross investment. I don't play competitively on any level but I'd like to at least try and get better at this dumb game.

Current options(And my bad opinions) are:

Blood Angels: I can get my hands on some old RT-era stuff and supplement as needed. I don't know much about how they play aside from bein' good at a fist fight?
Grey Knights: Confession time, this is probably my favorite force in 40k if for no reason other than the aesthetic and being able to roll a fuckton of wizard dice. I have some of these guys already, a terminator/paladin squad and two squads of purifiers. Wizard tax makes them pretty "eh".
Space Wolves: Wolf wolf wolf wolf wolf. I don't have any of these guys but with the upcoming premium box I figure it's not a bad idea to look into them. I think they're good at being right proper assholes in melee?
Space Marines: Extremely versatile I guess? I'm not a fan of the generic spacemen and I honestly don't know why.
Dork Angles: Bikes. Fuckin'. Everywhere.
Deathwatch: I've got the Death Masque force. Only played one game with them but these guys seem like assholes, but their cost is pretty absurd.
Ad Mech: Haven't really looked into these guys much. The Skitarii are pretty cool but we've got a lot of them in the local scene so I'm trying to keep my special snowflake away from them.

And also knights I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Kilazar posted:

@Proletariat Beowulf

Still heading to ghq tomorrow? I got the ok from the wife to leave her with the kids. So to maximize my time, I will be there when they open.

Also, do you have pm's?

I'll see about swinging by. When do they open? My buddy's place is right next to it, so I wouldn't mind swapping back and forth.

e: No PMs, but I'm at herpderpspamcatcher AT gmail

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So no chapter tactics in Traitor Legions?

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Bombogenesis posted:

Goons please help me be less indecisive. Before I go off and throw down my money at the wolf alter of wolf wolves I'm weighing my options for an allied faction for my scionskasrkin. Trying to avoid IG as I just don't really dig the tank blob, and a viable infantry blob would require a gross investment. I don't play competitively on any level but I'd like to at least try and get better at this dumb game.

And also knights I guess.

I say go with the Grey Knights, since you already like them. Chasing the 40K meta is a forlorn hope. By the time you assemble your stuff, a change in design philosophy will shake everything up. Matt Ward's Grey Knights were a wound allocation horrorshow with psybolt autocannon dreadnoughts singing backup. The most recent codex sawed them down a lot from that height, but here's the thing.

You're picking an Imperial army, so there's only but so "bad" it can be. You'll never be in the xenos army playpen, where you have to hope the designers don't take away your assault grenades this edition or where you'll labor under "thematic" rules that punish you for existing because the devs think your guys should always be Jobbers to the Stars.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wrong forum :v:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
secret hidden option: wait for Imperial Agents codex and make a Sisters of Battle army.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I'll see about swinging by. When do they open? My buddy's place is right next to it, so I wouldn't mind swapping back and forth.

e: No PMs, but I'm at herpderpspamcatcher AT gmail

Holy crap they open at 10am on saturday! When did that start happening. Not sure If I will go before 11. I can shoot you an email with my sms, and then sms when I head out.

You interested in doing a small game? Or just hanging out for a few mimutes and then heading out to yoir family stuff?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The legion tactics leaked. Night Lords get Night Vision and Fear. :laffo: And stealth, I guess. They even make enemies suffer -2 to their Fear checks. Too bad that'll never loving matter.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Holy poo poo the Alpha Legion rules:

Alpha Legion:
Free VotLW, cannot take marks.

Legion Tactics:
1. Chosen are troops. Chosen, tacticals and cultists can infiltrate.
2. If you lose your Warlord, another character becomes Warlord immediately: your opponent must kill all characters to get Slay the Warlord.

Decurion:
1. All non-vehicles have Shrouded the first turn
2. Cultists are Without Number

Decurion only has Chaos Warband as core(cultists are auxiliary).

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 3, 2016

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Safety Factor posted:

The legion tactics leaked.

Oh man those Death Guard are supremely my poo poo :stare:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Alpha Legion:

Legion Tactics:
2. If you lose your Warlord, another character becomes Warlord immediately: your opponent must kill all characters to get Slay the Warlord.

Decurion:

Aww, I don't like these = (

Death Guard are :staredog: though.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 3, 2016

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

The legion tactics leaked. Night Lords get Night Vision and Fear. :laffo: And stealth, I guess. They even make enemies suffer -2 to their Fear checks. Too bad that'll never loving matter.

What I'm seeing on Dakka says night Vision, Fear, Stealth and opponents get -2 to LD in close combat, which is good for Fear and combat results.

If this is accurate, it's pretty great

e: Apparently Black Legion is slightly off, they have - Endless hatred (units w/VotLW have Hatred; but also can re-roll failed to-hits every round of close combat vs. unit which contains armies of imperium in it)

E: Link to full preview stuff (warning: It's Dakka) http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/2700/705017.page#9054568

E2: Also yeah NM looks like Night Lords only get -2 Ld on Fear checks, which is garbage

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 3, 2016

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I'm the Emporer's Children.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So glad I picked Death Guard for 30k.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Word Bearers can't take cult troops? That poops all over what Aaron Dembski-Bowden wrote about. :(

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hamshot posted:

Word Bearers can't take cult troops? That poops all over what Aaron Dembski-Bowden wrote about. :(

I like that whole post.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
It also shows great reasoning for why Chaos Marines don't have fearless/atsknf/something equivalent, which I think was an earlier topic of the thread a few weeks ago.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Seems like the strongest legions will be Death Guard, Alpha Legion, Emperors Children and maybe Iron Warriors. Night Lords are a laugh.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

Seems like the strongest legions will be Death Guard, Alpha Legion, Emperors Children and maybe Iron Warriors. Night Lords are a laugh.

Night Vision isn't as bad as it seems, given that their detachment can force Night Fighting on Turn 1 and when you get an extra +1 to cover saves. Their detachment also lets them re-roll failed charges, which is pretty solid, and Raptors are one of the few good CSM units, so being able to take the Ratpor Talon as your core is very nice. But comparatively the base rules are not amazing. Still, I like it.

Iron Warriors are... OK? Troop Obliterators is neat, FNP 6+ is solid, the extra building damage is OK but situational. Their detachment lets you re-roll scatter for barrage and ordnance weapons, which would be way better if Chaos actually had Barrage weapons. As-is, it helps on Vindicators, Defilers, and fortifications, though. It's also neat that their Detachment includes fortifications.

Black Legion got a huge boost, with the ability to bring DS reserves in on T1 on a 3+ and the ability to auto arrive the warlord + his unit on T1 if they have Deep Strike. Plus they get the Black legion supplement formations in their Detachment, some of which were pretty solid.

World Eaters just don't seem that good, but as far as I'm concerned Codex: Khorne Daemonkin is actually Codex: World Eaters

There's definitely a few errors/omissions in the notes--he left out The Tormented for Black Legion, and I'm not sure if Word Bearers get to use Malefic without perils-ing on any doubles, since he didn't mention that. It'd be weird if they still did, given that they harness on a 3+ when summoning.

Emperor's Children and Death Guard look really solid though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Alpha Legion:

Legion Tactics:

Decurion:

This is really fun and very Alpha Legion

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
What's the 'Chaos Warband' formation that [almost] all of the decurions reference?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

What's the 'Chaos Warband' formation that [almost] all of the decurions reference?

It's in Traitor's Hate, but it'll be reprinted. Basically it's:

1 Chaos Lord
0-1 Sorcerer
1-3 units from: Chosen, Terminators, or Possessed
2-6 units of CSMs
1-3 units from: Raptors, Warp Talons, or Bikers
1-3 units from: Helbruts, Havocs

Bonuses:
Objective Secured
Favoured Scions - When you roll on the boons table, roll two dice and you can take one or both of the results

It's the core formation of most chaos detachments (excluding Black Legion, which gets the Black Legion Warband), and it's pretty good in the Black Crusade Detachment, which gives you a free boon roll every turn.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Snollygoster posted:

I say go with the Grey Knights, since you already like them. Chasing the 40K meta is a forlorn hope. By the time you assemble your stuff, a change in design philosophy will shake everything up. Matt Ward's Grey Knights were a wound allocation horrorshow with psybolt autocannon dreadnoughts singing backup. The most recent codex sawed them down a lot from that height, but here's the thing.

You're picking an Imperial army, so there's only but so "bad" it can be. You'll never be in the xenos army playpen, where you have to hope the designers don't take away your assault grenades this edition or where you'll labor under "thematic" rules that punish you for existing because the devs think your guys should always be Jobbers to the Stars.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I kinda forget the whole "Loyalist armies tend to just be better," issue the game has. Likely heading up to the GW store tomorrow, so I'll probably grab another box of terminators to have a proper troop core and either a purgation squad or dreadknight to act as a big ol' "shoot here" sign.

Anybody have any input on if paladins are actually worth it? They're extremely costly(165pts for three and 55pts each after.) but do have two wounds, but I can't help but feel it'd be better to just use more purifiers for soul blaze shenanigans.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How much does Deathwatch stuff look like Grey Knight stuff and how much unit overlap is there?

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

mango sentinel posted:

How much does Deathwatch stuff look like Grey Knight stuff and how much unit overlap is there?

They have rather distinct looks, mostly due to the Grey Knights having storm bolters and force weapons standard. Basic DW troops compared to basic GK troops. Also, Grey Knights have this wonderfully stupid monstrosity.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's in Traitor's Hate, but it'll be reprinted. Basically it's:

1 Chaos Lord
0-1 Sorcerer
1-3 units from: Chosen, Terminators, or Possessed
2-6 units of CSMs
1-3 units from: Raptors, Warp Talons, or Bikers
1-3 units from: Helbruts, Havocs

Bonuses:
Objective Secured
Favoured Scions - When you roll on the boons table, roll two dice and you can take one or both of the results

It's the core formation of most chaos detachments (excluding Black Legion, which gets the Black Legion Warband), and it's pretty good in the Black Crusade Detachment, which gives you a free boon roll every turn.

I'm hoping the obvious substitutions from 30k will work, like Contemptors for Hellbrutes, Support Squads for Havocs, etc...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bombogenesis posted:

They have rather distinct looks, mostly due to the Grey Knights having storm bolters and force weapons standard. Basic DW troops compared to basic GK troops. Also, Grey Knights have this wonderfully stupid monstrosity.
Ah, yeah pretty different. I wasn't familiar with Grey Knights beyond glancing at them and thought the inscription of the shoulder might make them a plausible swap if you could use stuff out of that Battleforce box. Those helms are especially distinct even if the rest weren't.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

I'm hoping the obvious substitutions from 30k will work, like Contemptors for Hellbrutes, Support Squads for Havocs, etc...

Contemptors won't, but mans with the relevant weapons purchased from the CSM codex will. Havocs are just mans with 0-4 heavy/special weapons, though options are limited compared to 30k.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mango sentinel posted:

Grey Knights have their own special power armor, I forget the name, paladin armor stuff, so they tend to look rather distinct. They also use fancy force weapons since they're all psykers.

That said, there's a new deathwatch chapter master dude who totally uses this fancy force weapon glaive boltgun THING and IDK to me he looks very Grey Knights.

This guy

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

TKIY posted:

Yeah I'm kinda disappointed that WB didn't get anything too crazy, if this rumor is anything to go buy. Kinda disappointed having possessed as Troops since there laughably bad. It'd be interesting to see if maybe they get some cool artefacts/ wargear /Warlord Traits though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

E2: Also yeah NM looks like Night Lords only get -2 Ld on Fear checks, which is garbage
See, if it had been -2 to all enemies' leadership in close combat it would've been fantastic. But nah, it was just to Fear checks which most armies don't give a poo poo about. Oh well, it's not like I needed yet another distraction from my 30k Dark Angels. :v:

Oh well. :smith:

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Warhamner world guys our table is literally at the entrance once you come in through the shop. WHW is open early because of the tournament.

For those who are entering the "How long until lord twisted buys something from FW" sweepstake this is a game changer for those with longer times.....

JackMack fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 3, 2016

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

See, if it had been -2 to all enemies' leadership in close combat it would've been fantastic. But nah, it was just to Fear checks which most armies don't give a poo poo about. Oh well, it's not like I needed yet another distraction from my 30k Dark Angels. :v:

Oh well. :smith:

yeah. My hope is that the report is wrong, but we'll see

On the upside, being able to take a Raptor Talon as core is really good

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I'm quite hype for full Death Guard. I'm pleased that GW has seen it fit to continue the "Papa Nurgle is the best" trend. Hopefully the spells aren't hot garbage (well, honestly a S5 AP3 template of molten garbage would be Nurgle as hell).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The prospect of having proper Death Guard rules again has got me more excited for the game than I have been for a very long time. I've been dusting off my Plague Marine army (first and only army I fully painted 2,000+ points of) and am planning to expand it for the first time since 5th edition. I'm currently clipping out Nurgle Daemon allies and am about to pull the trigger on ordering a Chaos Knight (of Nurgle) and a replacement FW Great Unclean One.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

That said, there's a new deathwatch chapter master dude who totally uses this fancy force weapon glaive boltgun THING and IDK to me he looks very Grey Knights.

This guy

That's a Custodes guardian spear he's holding.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
If all your Chaos Marines get FnP doesn't that kill the incentive take plague marines?

About to drive a couple hours to an 1850 tourney, taking a drop pod CAD, nothing broken but no a pushover list headed by Tiggy. Wish me luck, will share pics.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tried my hand at some simple weathering for the tank as suggsted. Turns out my Karak Stone had partly separated into a thin sheet of coloured water on top so I threw on some Balor Brown and an extra stab of Steel Legion drab over that.

I wanted to try my hand at stippling by following the Citadel IG painting guide but realized I didn't have a brush I could sacrifice for that so I skipped it for now.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Uroboros posted:

If all your Chaos Marines get FnP doesn't that kill the incentive take plague marines?

About to drive a couple hours to an 1850 tourney, taking a drop pod CAD, nothing broken but no a pushover list headed by Tiggy. Wish me luck, will share pics.

It's not really killing the incentive so much as all of all your models become them by default and the Elite choice isn't required any longer. You can keep the models for default troops, etc., as Plague Marines in a standard CSM are basically rogue/borrowed Death Guard in the same way Thousand Sons are rogue/borrowed TS. It'll be interesting to see if MoN is required, though I assume it would have to be.

Considering MoN is required for Obliterators and Chaos Lords almost by default, it won't be too much of a change in terms of points, you'll just be getting a ton more stuff for it. MoN Havocs are even better since they can easily reposition or even charge while firing their Autocannons.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Alpha Legion:

Legion Tactics:

Decurion:

These are so loving fun. The Iron Warriors rules, while more dependable, seem really dull by comparison. I hope this leads into some kind of plastic Obliterator kit though, taking Oblits as troops is great except for the sucky models, and I can only buy the same third party Russian ones so many times. I'm curious what their detachment will entail and if that means my Vindicators will be able to finally hit something.

Cooked Auto posted:

Tried my hand at some simple weathering for the tank as suggsted. Turns out my Karak Stone had partly separated into a thin sheet of coloured water on top so I threw on some Balor Brown and an extra stab of Steel Legion drab over that.

I wanted to try my hand at stippling by following the Citadel IG painting guide but realized I didn't have a brush I could sacrifice for that so I skipped it for now.
This is looking good! If you want to go dirtier, go dirtier, but so far this is a definite improvement. It wouldn't hurt to weather the tracks a little more too, since those would see a lot of dirt and mud.

• Locked thread