Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kilazar posted:

I did notice that with my phone cam and the same light I got better pictures heh.

Probably because your camera is more geared toward manual lighting adjustments, and not automatic, like most phone cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
DA vs Orks has always been a good matchup for my DA, since the overwatch on BS2 is so helpful and I already have so much twin linked and mobile shooting with my bikes. The Deathwing Knights are pretty much tailor made for killing swathes of lovely Ork boyz.

Star Man posted:

God, that use of value in the new seventh edition makes me bleed out of my eyes. I want to hit the art director in the head.

I hate the new color plates in the books. They're just outlines and gradients filled in in Illustrator with no care put into a series of identical images. The Space Marines codex is full of them and it's a real bummer after how cool the lineart and color plates were in older books and Index Astartes articles.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Scowny posted:

I can just about do 1250 points of Alpha Legion for 30k, and the Catastrophic table is the best part of ZM by far. I've got the PDF rules printed for them, if anyone needs them for reference.

Just checked my train, i'm arriving at Nottingham at 10.21 and will be leaving on an 18.47, if anyone is around at those times for taxi sharing.

Those are around the same times as my trains, see you there!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So should I assemble the Skitarii in the start collecting box as Rangers or Vanguard? Which will I get more use out of long-term?

(Also gently caress sake, GW, I thought you were getting better about including weapon options. One of each special weapon in a squad that can take THREE.)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Rangers imo, though either are good. I prefer Rangers as their Galvanic Rifles are sweet, in the running for the best regular gun in the game tbh.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

SRM posted:

DA vs Orks has always been a good matchup for my DA, since the overwatch on BS2 is so helpful and I already have so much twin linked and mobile shooting with my bikes. The Deathwing Knights are pretty much

If I had brought a lot of bikes and bolters I could have easily won, but I asked him to play orks and so I could play my weaker units in my army.

The Knights lost to a group of three mega nobs. I thought they would be able to smite and insta kill them pretty easy... I got unlucky and only killed one, he was then able to bring in a bunch of Ard Boys and just overwhelm them with hits. The Land Raider did ok, not sure it did 250 points of work though.

Lucky stick seems insanely good, like he got to reroll his armor save (+2 rerollable) attacks and hits... his warlord never missed a hit or wound. Also it gives the unit +1 ws. I know orks suck so I am not saying it's game breaking or anything like that but I hope they buff that codex and nerf that to not be insane.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Some BOLS rumors regarding 8th ed:

quote:

Another Rumormonger is back with more info on the “General’s Handbook” for Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition.

We’ve been hearing snippets of upcoming things for 8th Edition and one of the things that keeps coming back is this info about a 40k “General’s Handbook” – and now we have another source chiming in:

via an oldtime rumormonger

-The 8th Editions “General’s Handbook” will be more a mix of the old 40k and AoS’ Generals Handbook
-There will be more than only 4 pages of core rules
-Book is divided like in AoS in chapters like “the rules”, army list ect.
-Like AoS three methods to play the game
-The chapter about playing the game is a very large and important part of the book
-The chapter will have a section about “historical” gaming
-The game will cover the last 10,000 years of 40k History

Here are the previous rumors on the Primarch’s return:

-8th Edition starter is Astartes vs Chaos Marines.
-Rulebook will be similar to Age of Sigmar’s General’s Handbook.
-Look for Campaign Books similar to the Realmgate Wars series.
-Point costs and rules for Army construction will be in the “General’s Handbook” and future codex-like Books
-Release date for 8th Edition is June
-The new Edition will be set after Abaddons’s 13th Black Crusade
-Initial focus on factions will be on Imperium vs. Chaos
-There are brewing disagreement between the returning Primarchs
-Many are shocked and disagree the 40th Millennia Imperium’s religion and injustice.

Primarchs-detail
And the previous rumors were heavy on what the rule set would be like:

GW is borrowing some rules mechanics form Age of Sigmar to pull over into the new edition.
Look for an emphasis on ease of play, especially for new players.
Look for the variable-stats-based-on-damage rule mechanic seen on some Age of Sigmar monsters to make it’s way into the Grimdark.
Look for Psychics to be greatly simplified.
Army construction will not be constrained.
Some version of AoS Warscrolls will make their way into the game.
The game will retain it’s gameplay and tactical depth, and not come anywhere near AoS’s tiny 4 pages of rules.
GW’s design goal is to maintain 40K’s depth of tactics and play, while speeding up playtime and removing needless detail.
I'm tentatively interested - having been out of 40K gaming for quite some time now, it's really just too big to come into as a beginner at this point. There are way too many rulebooks/codexes to keep track of, and the rules are just a morass. I certainly don't want to see any WFB/AoS style army-invalidation or shoddy treatment of players, but I look at my piles of unpainted miniatures, then I look at what the game has become, and I think "gently caress that."

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 2, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Lucky stick basically means never use non Ap 2 against a warboss in MegaArmor, a shining jewel in the turd Ork Codex.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

This seems...good? Like, retaining depth while speeding up gameplay seems both perfect and kinda unachievable. Surely depth and speed are mutually exclusive.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Whoever said Dreadnaught Guilliman has my vote, but honestly I don't think the loyalists are coming back. Still unsure if I want them to. I'm one of the few people that really doesn't want the prime narrative undergo drastic changes, but maybe I'm scared they will gently caress it up.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 2, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm tentatively interested - having been out of 40K gaming for quite some time now, it's really just too big to come into as a beginner at this point. There are way too many rulebooks/codexes to keep track of, and the rules are just a morass. I certainly don't want to see any WFB/AoS style army-invalidation or shoddy treatment of players, but I look at my piles of unpainted miniatures, then I look at what the game has become, and I think "gently caress that."

This sounds good but we'll see how they pull it off.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

This seems...good? Like, retaining depth while speeding up gameplay seems both perfect and kinda unachievable. Surely depth and speed are mutually exclusive.

They're not remotely mutually exclusive, but they are generally opposed. But really clever game design allows you to have your cake and eat it too. We've had many many discussions in this thread about ways to speed up the game without significantly simplifying the strategy.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

This sounds good but we'll see how they pull it off.

They're not remotely mutually exclusive, but they are generally opposed. But really clever game design allows you to have your cake and eat it too. We've had many many discussions in this thread about ways to speed up the game without significantly simplifying the strategy.

That's partly because "strategy" in 40k isn't very deep to begin with. Most meaningful decisions are made in army selection and list building, while in-game the bulk of your meaningful choices typically amount to "which unit should I shoot at/with first?" or "should I attempt to destroy this unit at all?" Units rarely have real synergy with each other outside of formation bonuses, which are determined during list selection.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Uroboros posted:

Whoever said Dreadnaught Guilliman has my vote, but honestly I don't think the loyalists are coming back. Still unsure if I want them to. I'm one of the few people that really doesn't want the prime narrative undergo drastic changes, but maybe I'm scared they will gently caress it up.
Kinda this, but I also want them to try and do something interesting with the setting, provided that they keep the overall balance between all the various factions in that they are all loving each other up so much that no one is able to get a lasting upper hand.
I'd like them to tick over to 41k, everything is even more poo poo (TM), preferably whilst remembering that 40k is supposed to be a parody/satire, without just nuking the setting. To that end, it would make sense to get one or a few loyalist primarchs back to counter the now-appearing daemon primarchs.
Hell, bringing back just the Lion who's supposed to be a strategic mastermind to help organise the various military arms of the Imperium to be less of a clusterfuck would help loads.
And unlike all the other loyalist primarchs he isn't dead/meat popsicle/lost in the warp/webway. He's just snoozing away because the Watchers in the Dark turned off his alarm clock.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
only two of the loyalist primarchs are explicitly dead; khan, russ, corax, and less likely vulkan all have pretty convenient 'the warp did it' ways to re-appear.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 2, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

This is in line with things I've heard so far, and I think it'll be a good thing if it pans out. I doubt we'll see WHFB to AOS levels of invalidation, I think the various ranges of 40k have been healthier in their support, save for Sisters. The Time of Ending isn't gonna go as far as The End Times though, thankfully.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

This is in line with things I've heard so far, and I think it'll be a good thing if it pans out. I doubt we'll see WHFB to AOS levels of invalidation, I think the various ranges of 40k have been healthier in their support, save for Sisters. The Time of Ending isn't gonna go as far as The End Times though, thankfully.

I don't think so either - the CEO seems to have a somewhat decent head on his shoulders, and doesn't appear to be a "burn all the bridges" type.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
What I like most of those rumors is condensing basic rules and point costs into one simple book, so as to cut down on what feels like hindreds of dollars worth of codexes and supplements to thumb through when building even a slightly unique army.

Of course, an even better idea would be to just make a paid app that they can update to overwrite and edit rules, provide a way to insert purchased supplements into your app codex, and provide easy stat searching, but baby steps.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

only two of the loyalist primarchs are explicitly dead; khan, russ, corax, and less likely vulkan all have pretty convenient 'the warp did it' ways to re-appear.

The only dead ones are Iron Man and Blood Lad, yeah? Did everyone else just piss off into the warp to hunt bad guys?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That list sounds more like an educated guess than someone who actually has an idea of what's going on. I'd expect it to end up something like how that's described, but I expected lots of things to go differently in 2016.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It's BOLS and no one is laughing?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

The only dead ones are Iron Man and Blood Lad, yeah? Did everyone else just piss off into the warp to hunt bad guys?

Lion's in the Rock put in stasis by the Watchers after fighting Luther.
Russ is in the Warp wolfing it up with his wolves
Dorn disappeared in a boarding action against a Chaos vessel, his fist was recovered
Gulliman was wounded by someone calling themselves Alpharius, is in stasis on display in Macragge
Khan drove his bike into the Webway following some Dark Eldar
Vulkan's in a box waiting for the Salamanders to find the last 3 artifacts
Corax flew into the Eye of Terror after saying "Nevermore."

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 2, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Watch the Blood Angels create a new psychic gestalt entity called the Sanguinor Perfect who looks like a Magnus-sized angel with golden nipples.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Correct. The rest all faffed off into the warp in anger, disappeared in battle, and like two or three in Odinsleep.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 2, 2016

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hey, me and the guys at my local game store were discussing how dead Ferrus Manus is.

He got his head cut off but i feel like some guys survived worse.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mango Polo posted:

It's BOLS and no one is laughing?

Hence the "rumors" statement.

Also, it's not out of the realm of possibility that GW streamlines their two major game systems to reflect each other in an effort to encourage gamers to cross over to the other system. It can only help their bottom line.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Hey, me and the guys at my local game store were discussing how dead Ferrus Manus is.

He got his head cut off but i feel like some guys survived worse.

Servitorus Manus head piloting an imperial knight.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Khan drove his bike into the Webway following some Dark Eldar

Khan is Doomrider.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
With how cheeky GW is nowadays, I really want to see a 40k Abbadon with an upgrade that makes his arms separate units.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Watch the Blood Angels create a new psychic gestalt entity called the Sanguinor Perfect who looks like a Magnus-sized angel with golden nipples.

I definitely expect some sort of Ascended Sanguinor model to come out. Probably not Magnus sized, but more like a Contemptorish.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Zark the Damned posted:

Those are around the same times as my trains, see you there!

I'm a bit earlier with my buddy so we'll go independently. Packed all my man's, decided not to bring demons as it was too much of a faff with packing.

Pumped as fuuuuuck

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Neurolimal posted:

With how cheeky GW is nowadays, I really want to see a 40k Abbadon with an upgrade that makes his arms separate units.

Where does this meme come from? I don't remember it except after the Abaddon vs. Kharne book. Did he rip off Abby's arms? That's metal as gently caress :black101:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Isnt it just that Abbadons model had really heavy and fiddly arms that made playing him without arms a common occurrence?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The metal Abbadon's arms fit on terribly, they won't stay in place if you don't aggressively pin them or get super lucky with the super glue.

They rank up there with the old LotR Cave Troll for "Why Metal Models are Bad and Should be Abandoned".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, they were joined to his body with like, two discs inside his shoulders, except the holes those discs sat inside of were ALWAYS slightly too large, so you had to PACK them with green stuff if you wanted his arms to stay upright/attached.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Goons please help me be less indecisive. Before I go off and throw down my money at the wolf alter of wolf wolves I'm weighing my options for an allied faction for my scionskasrkin. Trying to avoid IG as I just don't really dig the tank blob, and a viable infantry blob would require a gross investment. I don't play competitively on any level but I'd like to at least try and get better at this dumb game.

Current options(And my bad opinions) are:

Blood Angels: I can get my hands on some old RT-era stuff and supplement as needed. I don't know much about how they play aside from bein' good at a fist fight?
Grey Knights: Confession time, this is probably my favorite force in 40k if for no reason other than the aesthetic and being able to roll a fuckton of wizard dice. I have some of these guys already, a terminator/paladin squad and two squads of purifiers. Wizard tax makes them pretty "eh".
Space Wolves: Wolf wolf wolf wolf wolf. I don't have any of these guys but with the upcoming premium box I figure it's not a bad idea to look into them. I think they're good at being right proper assholes in melee?
Space Marines: Extremely versatile I guess? I'm not a fan of the generic spacemen and I honestly don't know why.
Dork Angles: Bikes. Fuckin'. Everywhere.
Deathwatch: I've got the Death Masque force. Only played one game with them but these guys seem like assholes, but their cost is pretty absurd.
Ad Mech: Haven't really looked into these guys much. The Skitarii are pretty cool but we've got a lot of them in the local scene so I'm trying to keep my special snowflake away from them.

And also knights I guess.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bombogenesis posted:

Grey Knights: Confession time, this is probably my favorite force in 40k if for no reason other than the aesthetic and being able to roll a fuckton of wizard dice. I have some of these guys already, a terminator/paladin squad and two squads of purifiers. Wizard tax makes them pretty "eh".

Go go go.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Traitor Legions Book up for preorder on british GW site:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Codex-Supplement-Traitor-Legions-Softback-ENG

Of note:

Games Workshop posted:

Codex Supplement: Traitor Legions is a 136-page, full-colour softback supplement to Codex: Chaos Space Marines. It contains a wealth of additional content and rules that any Chaos Space Marines army can use, with a huge array of rules for all nine of the Traitor Legions.

In The Book

- Datasheets for the following models:
- Kharn the Betrayer
- Ahriman
- Exalted Sorcerer
- Tzaangors
- Rubric Marines
- Scarab Occult Terminators
- Khorne Lord of Skulls
- Magnus the Red

- 26 Formations for Chaos Space Marines
- Chaos Warband
- Maelstrom of Gore
- The Lost and the Damned
- Helforged Warpack
- Heldrake Terror Pack
- Cult of Destruction
- Fist of the Gods
- Raptor Talon
- Terminator Annihilation Force
- Favoured of Chaos
- Trinity of Blood
- The Chosen of Abaddon
- The Bringers of Despair
- The Hounds of Abaddon
- Daemon Engine Pack
- Cyclopia Cabal
- The Tormented
- Black Legion Warband
- War Cabal
- War Coven
- Tzaangor Warherd
- Sekhmet Conclave
- Ahriman’s Exiles
- Rehati War Sect
- Plague Colony
- Kakophoni

- Chaos Artefacts, Warlord Traits, Tactical Objectives and an exclusive Detachment for each of the 9 Traitor Legions;

- Updated Disciplines of Tzeentch, Nurgle and Slaanesh, as well as the Sinistrum, Heretech, Ectomancy and Geomortis Psychic Disciplines;

- Armoury of the Chaos Space Marines.

Of these, the new formations I can spot are the Kakophoni (Noise Marines) and the Plague Colony (Plague Marines), with reprints of the Black Legion supplement formations, the Wrath of Magnus formations, and the Traitor's Hate formations, though they may also make adjustments to the BL supplement formations if this book invalidates that one. One of the things I am most excited about is finally getting a custom Detachment for the Black Legion, which the previous supplement reprint was sorely missing. The biggest win here is 9 distinct detachments and custom wargear for each legion, plus updated Slaanesh and Nurgle powers.

If it's anything like the Angels of Death supplement, it'll re-use existing formations in multiple Detachments to create custom lists for different legions.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Where does this meme come from? I don't remember it except after the Abaddon vs. Kharne book. Did he rip off Abby's arms? That's metal as gently caress :black101:

acc. to the /tg/ wiki it comes from an artist forgetting to draw his arms, and his model being so poorly weighted that the arms would fall off all the time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neurolimal posted:

Servitorus Manus head piloting an imperial knight.

It's possible, his head was removed and his body torn to shreds but his head was recovered and is currently held by the mechanicum on Mars. His hand was also necrontyr metal that was made into knives by the Word Bearers. There could always be a storybeat about recovering the weapons and uploading some ghost of his personality into a dreadnaught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
@Proletariat Beowulf

Still heading to ghq tomorrow? I got the ok from the wife to leave her with the kids. So to maximize my time, I will be there when they open.

Also, do you have pm's?

• Locked thread