Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The story is pretty standard for Warcraft in general, and if you think this is a step down then you have some thick rear end rose tinted glasses that hid all the dragon rape.

I quit back in pandatown precisely because the story was the same old same old. More importantly, I didn't go back for exactly that reason: I knew pretty much how the story would go and I wasn't interested in finding out the particulars or the cool stuff in the zones anymore. Or why I should have to relearn my class for the umpteenth time to experience that (some people like relearning their stuff, I find the majority just look for a guide and follow that.)

I suppose my point is that while gameplay changes might get people to jump ship and stay in port for an expansion, the story and lore creates an incentive for people to get back on the boat when a new expansion is released. And while that's a minority that's still a fraction of the playerbase who don't come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Ither posted:

Are there other MMOs with a good story like FF14?
The Elder Scrolls Online has a decent story from what I recall, mostly your standard ES fare. It was a solid game when I played it, and I did all three campaigns.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yapping Eevee posted:

The Elder Scrolls Online has a decent story from what I recall, mostly your standard ES fare.

Which of these two things is it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

morrowind has a neat story :colbert:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
ESO had a better story than Skyrim (not that high bar tbh) and potentially still better than Oblivion, depending how much you liked it. Summerset expansion apparently closes that long-running overall story but I dropped out so can't tell.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i liked bounty hunter in swtor, particularly one scene on alderaan where some dickbag noble wanted you to do a fetch quest before he'd tell you where a mark was and you had the option to just beat the poo poo out of him and murder his bodyguards instead. never finished the storyline though, the game just isn't all that fun to play imo.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Let's climb Kugane! Having the Eternity Ring and an anime husband who's decent at jumping puzzles makes the big tower a lot less painful.

Also, the RNG seems extra-mad at me lately. I've been trying to get the various Whateverscape Bolts for the orchestrion rolls, and in probably 15ish runs of Omega 1/2/5/6/9/10 Normal I've gotten exactly zero. I even volunteered to help a couple of newer players through Sigmascape and Alphascape tonight, hoping the good karma would at least get me a pity drop from somewhere, but nope. At least the latter gave me an excuse to hang out in space for a bit.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 4, 2018

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Decided to switch from being a BLM main to PLD main, because gently caress DPS queues and nothing helps someone get over their fear of tanking than grabbing their in game pocket healer husbando and just smashing their face against the non-savage end game until it's beaten into their skull.

Also because Passage of Arms looks rad as gently caress.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CYBEReris posted:

The Old Republic, maybe, but that while going interesting places sometimes it's never quite on the level of KotOR2 in part because of the simplified dialogue choices can be distracting

The Old Republic has some good stories in the base game, but they're brought down a bit by the knowledge that after you finish the class stories it's all trash from there.

TSW and FF14 are the only genuinely consistently good stories in the genre.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

TheHeadSage posted:

Decided to switch from being a BLM main to PLD main, because gently caress DPS queues and nothing helps someone get over their fear of tanking than grabbing their in game pocket healer husbando and just smashing their face against the non-savage end game until it's beaten into their skull.

Also because Passage of Arms looks rad as gently caress.

Good sword choice.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Paladin is the secret best job because you get tank queues, but you're always off tank so you just dick around as a mediocre dps.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I don't know what loving queues you get but 80% of the time in ADR it's 3 PLD's in Shield Oath spamming emnity combos the entire loving fight causing the boss to spin around until 2 of them loving die.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Saint Freak posted:

just dick around as a mediocre dps.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

:catstare:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That picture causes me pain

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm the monk that didn't die and still barely broke 1000 DPS.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Thanks for sharing the longest 9 minutes of your life with us.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I mean, yes, I realize there are people who play this game despite being super bad at it, and any time you use DF or PF you accept that you may get grouped up with them.

Which dark god did you offend to get grouped up with all of them at once, though?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

It's been a very frustrating part of leveling WHM that I feel like I would top the DPS charts every run if I didn't have to heal anyone, but I guess that's why this class is called Green DPS.

Edit: Hopefully I'm getting banned for telling a SAM he's trash at his job, but goddammit he was.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Captain Cappy posted:

It's been a very frustrating part of leveling WHM that I feel like I would top the DPS charts every run if I didn't have to heal anyone, but I guess that's why this class is called Green DPS.

Edit: Hopefully I'm getting banned for telling a SAM he's trash at his job, but goddammit he was.

Some things are worth dying for.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Captain Cappy posted:

It's okay. Anyone who chooses to play Samurai deserves to be bullied. :v:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Old Republic has some good stories in the base game, but they're brought down a bit by the knowledge that after you finish the class stories it's all trash from there.

is that still true of the TSW revamp because I adore the gently caress out of that game but I don't want to try it again if the new version is garbo

tho it takes a lot to pull me away from this catgirl simulator in general

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

UHD posted:

is that still true of the TSW revamp because I adore the gently caress out of that game but I don't want to try it again if the new version is garbo

tho it takes a lot to pull me away from this catgirl simulator in general

It's still more or less the same gameplay, they've just streamlined and simplified the old way of gaining skills to make it less of a trap for people who aren't following guides.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Captain Oblivious posted:

That's sad to hear. :(

I loved my "Huge-rear end in a top hat-But-With-A-Good-Heart" Smuggler from Old Republic, and I've always considered picking it back up to further the story, but I guess not.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Argas posted:

It's still more or less the same gameplay, they've just streamlined and simplified the old way of gaining skills to make it less of a trap for people who aren't following guides.

cool that makes me happy

I got other questions about story and poo poo but I’ll take them to the tsw thread, thanks

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I just installed ACT and did normal Kefka. Some RDM who was casting Jolt 2 seven times as much as me, and somehow managed to cast Scatter twice, beat me on DPS by ~300, and now I'm wondering how much he must have outgeared me for that to be a thing.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Saint Freak posted:

Thanks for sharing the longest 9 minutes of your life with us.

Are those last 2 people without jobs still playing as pugilist or lancer and poo poo? Theres a dude in my guild who is a lvl 60 pugilist, nothing else, no GC.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Cabbit posted:

I just installed ACT and did normal Kefka. Some RDM who was casting Jolt 2 seven times as much as me, and somehow managed to cast Scatter, beat me on DPS by ~300, and now I'm wondering how much he must have outgeared me for that to be a thing.

Are you wasting a lot of time between GCDs? That's something to be on the lookout for and much more important than a lot of other factors.

Speaking of ACT do the HPS numbers include shielding or is that still not possible? I've assumed that if a SCH or AST is anywhere near my HPS I'm being worthless in a trial.

KoB
May 1, 2009

:smithicide:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Are those last 2 people without jobs still playing as pugilist or lancer and poo poo? Theres a dude in my guild who is a lvl 60 pugilist, nothing else, no GC.

It's the Limit Break and something from the boss. The clouds? It's been a while.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

How do you even manage your gear when you have all 70's? I have 2 70's and trying to level gatherers and i still need to prune the gear storage all the time.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It actually gets easier once everything is at max level. Most classes in the game share gear, so you don't need to carry around a separate set for every class.

Cabbit posted:

I just installed ACT and did normal Kefka. Some RDM who was casting Jolt 2 seven times as much as me, and somehow managed to cast Scatter twice, beat me on DPS by ~300, and now I'm wondering how much he must have outgeared me for that to be a thing.

Captain Cappy posted:

Are you wasting a lot of time between GCDs? That's something to be on the lookout for and much more important than a lot of other factors.

As a slight addition to what Cappy said, macros can cause a lot of delay between GCDs, because they don't let you queue up your skills. If you are using macros with a skill/spell attached to them, expect that skill to always go off somewhere between 0.2 to 1 second later than you pressing your macro button, depending on your personal ping. Some people are fine with that for occasional spells like Raise or goad or whatever, but if you are going to use that skill more than twice in a fight, you don't want to have to deal with or plan around that kind of delay.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 4, 2018

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
How the heck do you get more than ten wyrmwaves? Do I have to break ABC? How do I even keep track of wyrmwave's cooldown? The only two guides that exist assume you already know what you're doing.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

How the heck do you get more than ten wyrmwaves? Do I have to break ABC? How do I even keep track of wyrmwave's cooldown? The only two guides that exist assume you already know what you're doing.

R2 ->Summon Bahamut ->Fester
R2 ->Akh morn
R2
R2 ->Fester
R2 ->Addle
R2 ->Fester
R2 ->Tri-disaster
R2 ->Fester
R2 ->Akh Morn
R2

The basic rules are:

1. Never ever ever hardcast anything
2. Never weave anything that could proc a wave after Akh Morn
3. Don't weave the very second you hit R2, ideally you want to hit your OGCD about a second or so after your R2 to avoid clipping.
4. Don't move.

Since there's no way to keep track of wyrmwaves cooldown on your bar, you have to look at bahamut himself. Each pelvic thrust is a wyrmwave and it's on cooldown for 1.5s after that. Just use your best estimates, or be like me and don't think about it too hard.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Captain Cappy posted:

Speaking of ACT do the HPS numbers include shielding or is that still not possible? I've assumed that if a SCH or AST is anywhere near my HPS I'm being worthless in a trial.

Tenik posted:

As a slight addition to what Cappy said, macros can cause a lot of delay between GCDs, because they don't let you queue up your skills. If you are using macros with a skill/spell attached to them, expect that skill to always go off somewhere between 0.2 to 1 second later than you pressing your macro button, depending on your personal ping. Some people are fine with that for occasional spells like Raise or goad or whatever, but if you are going to use that skill more than twice in a fight, you don't want to have to deal with or plan around that kind of delay.

Let me rephrase: Jolt 2 was this dude's biggest damage source, and he cast it 71 times. I think he had in excess of 42k HP. I have around 38k HP and cast Jolt 2 like eleven times, and not because I was sitting on my hands or otherwise not casting.

I did like 4.1k, he did 4.4k.

I believe this dude to have been bad.

Edit:

Him:

Me:

This chart's supposed to look more like mine than his, right?

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 4, 2018

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

R2 ->Summon Bahamut ->Fester
R2 ->Akh morn
R2
R2 ->Fester
R2 ->Addle
R2 ->Fester
R2 ->Tri-disaster
R2 ->Fester
R2 ->Akh Morn
R2

The basic rules are:

1. Never ever ever hardcast anything
2. Never weave anything that could proc a wave after Akh Morn
3. Don't weave the very second you hit R2, ideally you want to hit your OGCD about a second or so after your R2 to avoid clipping.
4. Don't move.

Since there's no way to keep track of wyrmwaves cooldown on your bar, you have to look at bahamut himself. Each pelvic thrust is a wyrmwave and it's on cooldown for 1.5s after that. Just use your best estimates, or be like me and don't think about it too hard.

Note that Bahamut is actually smart enough to queue up a Wyrmwave if you proc one while it's on cooldown so as long as you follow the first two rules and don't move too egregiously you should be fine.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Your chart looks like most damage charts for RDM I've seen recently so it's probably correct. If you really want to see what difference gear made then compare some individual skill damages. If it isn't enough to make up the difference then you know you have something you can improve on.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
It looks like he was doing the same thing as the rdm a few pages back, using nothing but Jolt II to proc swiftcasts. He manages to have more damage from Jolt II than Veraero/Verthunder combined, so he must have been wasting some of those swiftcasts on Impact/Verstone/Verfire because otherwise that wouldn't be possible. Plus he somehow does 3 times more damage from Jolt II than Impact, despite getting a free Impact from every Jolt II and Impact having higher potency.

Your distribution looks normal, with Verstone/Verfire > Impact > Jolt II, because that's the general order I pick them when I need something to proc a swiftcast.

To see how much gear matters, I compare the average damage from a spell like Verthunder that got used often enough to average out lucky crits.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

His Verthunder and Veraero each average 11.3k, mine average 9.1k. Seems like a considerable gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Shouldn't we have the preliminary patch 4.45 notes by now? I thought it came out in two days.