Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

To be fair to AMD though, if they responded to every piece of BS from OC3D and wccftech they'd be commenting daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Measly Twerp posted:

So long story short OC3D spun some bullshit, which got picked up by wccftech, and somehow this bastion of credibility was able to convince everyone that AMD was raising the MSRP of Vega.

The video is gone but there are several retailers in Europe claiming their first (now sold out) batch of Vega 64 at the original MSRP was an introductory offer and that they have to charge 100 bucks more now, despite of AMD denying having raised the MSRP.

Obviously retailers might be trying to profit from the (mining-driven?) demand and jack up prices, but it's 100% AMD's own fault that them lying to customers and trying to secretly raise Vega's price is considered to be plausible in the first place.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/898096150565105664

Surprise, surprise, the video was pulled because they are not sure if AMD is telling them the truth or lying to their face, what did I say about poor public relations and a lack of trust in AMD?

But hey, we can't expect AMD to address this through official channels in a timely manner, that would just be silly!

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Surprise, surprise, the video was pulled because they are not sure if AMD is telling them the truth or lying to their face, what did I say about poor public relations and a lack of trust in AMD?

But hey, we can't expect AMD to address this through official channels in a timely manner, that would just be silly!

God drat it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
AMD: The Polaris launch PCIE power fiasco, 220W RX580s and poor Volta wasn't bad PR enough

Raja: Hold my beer

Palladium fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 17, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

This is a good video.

https://youtu.be/4X5aIyBa0gs

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Fair enough, you're right, reading around AMD do need to address it pronto.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
AMD has announced they are going to make an announcement about vega pricing in the next few days....

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Don Lapre posted:

AMD has announced they are going to make an announcement about vega pricing in the next few days....

Thank you for announcing the announcement of the announcement. It's announcements all the way down.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
not so much "AMD" announcing it as some random guy in their compiler department

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
AMD matt seems to be an official customer outreach type person at AMD as far as I can tell.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
According to two retailers at least, AMD subsidised a small number of Vega 64 units in different territories so that they could sell a GPU only SKU at the equivalent of $499.

Once those units were sold, vendors then had to sell the GPU with 2 game codes at $599.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/ocuks-andrew-gibson-clears-up-rx-vega64-pricing-disaster/

“£449 is not possible, $499 is below what they cost us direct from the board partners by a large chunk of cash, AMD rebated us to hit $499 on a set amount of units. As such $599 is now the minimum”.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Prey going on sale for 2 weeks means the bundle isn't even a good deal anymore. You're paying $100 more for a pair of games that cost $90 on Steam :lol:

edit: AIB Partners to GamersNexus: Gibbo Was Right About AMD Price Changing

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 17, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Riflen posted:

449 is not possible, $499 is below what they cost us direct from the board partners by a large chunk of cash, AMD rebated us to hit $499 on a set amount of units. As such $599 is now the minimum”.
And that is the reason imo why no one but Asus has announced any custom models. They would have to be sold at 650$+

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

repiv posted:

Prey going on sale for 2 weeks means the bundle isn't even a good deal anymore. You're paying $100 more for a pair of games that cost $90 on Steam :lol:

edit: AIB Partners to GamersNexus: Gibbo Was Right About AMD Price Changing

Prey is $20 right now and i think ive seen wolf going for $40 preorder

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Lapre posted:

Prey is $20 right now and i think ive seen wolf going for $40 preorder

Counting bundled games at full price is bullshit, most titles are 25% or more off within a few weeks after launch, especially if you are willing to pre-order through Amazon (they do a pre-order discount) or buy from a grey-market retailer like Green Man Gaming (they buy legit keys from other markets and resell them into the US market).

And of course people just outright resell the things too, which tanks the price. You literally can't give away Rocket League keys at this point.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Paul MaudDib posted:

Counting bundled games at full price is bullshit, most titles are 25% or more off within a few weeks after launch, especially if you are willing to pre-order through Amazon (they do a pre-order discount) or buy from a grey-market retailer like Green Man Gaming (they buy legit keys from other markets and resell them into the US market).

And of course people just outright resell the things too, which tanks the price. You literally can't give away Rocket League keys at this point.

Yes I think the main issue here is bundling games that add to the price of the card at all... especially if thats the only choice you have. Nobody is going to be confused that this isn't just a price hike for one thing, its just plain dirty. If this is true - and I swear to god I'm being honest here I hope it isnt true, and if it is supposed to happen I hope AMD walks it back - AMD loving sucks. I don't know how "the community" put up with two straight rebrands but come on with this one. At least AMD did something that completely overshadows Nvidias stupid FE money grab, which in theory means they beat Nvidia with Vega.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The worst part about this launch is that I'm at least passively interested in imminently purchasing Vega, the Acer XR382CQK is $1000 at Microcenter and there's no GSync equivalent. I have 2 months on a discount code for the Acer X34 so I need to make a decision by that point.

If I went down that road I'd want a FreeSync-compatible GPU to drive it. But so far FreeSync has constantly been hamstrung by the lack of GPUs and this launch is turning out to be a dumpster fire. I'd be interested in maybe a Vega 56 or 64 air at MSRP but there's no way I'm paying 1080 Ti money for it. I would sooner buy a pair of Vega 56s than a single 64 bundle (CrossFire: for when regular AMD drivers aren't flaky enough). But AMD is just nonstop shenanigans and disappointment, at this point I would rather be shackled to NVIDIA than put up with AMD's antics.

At this point I'm praying for a miracle within that month and a half, like NVIDIA deciding to support FreeSync or Acer releasing a GSync version. I'm probably just gonna say gently caress it and buy the X34, and if they ever release the 38" version then I'll sell and upgrade.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 17, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd be interested in maybe a Vega 56 or 64 air at MSRP but there's no way I'm paying 1080 Ti money for it. I would sooner buy a pair of Vega 56s than a single 64 bundle (CrossFire: for when regular AMD drivers aren't flaky enough).

Do we know for sure that AMD will ever even enable Vega crossfire? Right now it doesnt work. Ohhhh AMD.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

Do we know for sure that AMD will ever even enable Vega crossfire? Right now it doesnt work. Ohhhh AMD.

AMD showed it at one of their events, and it worked on the Frontier Edition, so probably. The launch drivers for RX were just so rushed that Crossfire shipped broken.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

Amd charges $100 for the two games and you can't unbundle them.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

My first thought was "you've got to be making GBS threads me" but then I realized that none of the reviews I read had CrossFire results so yup, probably not working yet :ughh:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 17, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I hate to say it but the only way this resolves well is if AMD walks this back, because at this point I have almost no doubt it is true, we have confirmation from both multiple retailers from different regions and from AIB partners that the whole thing is true. If AMD says it is untrue I will just assume they are lying just like they lied to the Hardware Unboxed dude, the only thing I would believe from them at this point is a statement admitting that the MSRP was only possible via a rebate to retailers and the only way they can redeem themselves is a very public apology for deceiving both the public and the press and a reinstatement of the rebate allowing cards to be sold at MSRP.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If AMD has to rebate all of the cards, aren't they hosed financially?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

My first thought was "you've got to be making GBS threads me" but then I realized that none of the reviews I read had CrossFire results so yup, probably not working yet :ughh:

The lack of working Crossfire didn't stop this /r/amd user from buying two Vega64s though! :suicide:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

AMD matt seems to be an official customer outreach type person at AMD as far as I can tell.

His post has apparently been edited/erased, I would assume he stepped over a line and was told to STFU. :ughh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
This just gets worse and worse. At this point the only way Vega could become more of a clusterfuck was with a new alt-right edition.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

If AMD has to rebate all of the cards, aren't they hosed financially?

Probably, but that's the price they should pay for widespread deception.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

This just gets worse and worse. At this point the only way Vega could become more of a clusterfuck was with a new alt-right edition.
Who needs Tiki torches now that we have Vega.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The next step in this is for AMD to make a Vega 48 or something that beats the 1060 6GB for $325, and get slammed by the press because "Only $75 less than a Vega 56 [at short-lived advertised prices that will never be seen again] so don't waste your money."

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
There is no way they will bin down to the 580 range with HBM2, there is no margin for them

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I hate to say it but the only way this resolves well is if AMD walks this back, because at this point I have almost no doubt it is true, we have confirmation from both multiple retailers from different regions and from AIB partners that the whole thing is true. If AMD says it is untrue I will just assume they are lying just like they lied to the Hardware Unboxed dude, the only thing I would believe from them at this point is a statement admitting that the MSRP was only possible via a rebate to retailers and the only way they can redeem themselves is a very public apology for deceiving both the public and the press and a reinstatement of the rebate allowing cards to be sold at MSRP.

What are the exact details on this? I assumed they were just not going to make any bare cards after the initial launch batch, i.e. they aren't technically changing MSRP but you won't be able to buy it without the bundle anymore. But with people talking about the retailer getting rebates, it sounds like maybe AMD only produces one SKU with the coupons being part of a separate "bundle item", and AMD is just rebating the retailer for X units of coupon bundles?

The thing about smaller retailers getting smaller rebates is kinda bullshit too but to a certain degree that's just how wholesaling works.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Risky Bisquick posted:

There is no way they will bin down to the 580 range with HBM2, there is no margin for them

Is the 580 going to be back down to $250 in any reasonable timeframe?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Overminty posted:

I had a price alert from pcpartpicker which led to this

https://www.cclonline.com/product/238813/GV-RXVEGA56-8GD-B/Graphics-Cards/Gigabyte-Radeon-RX-Vega-56-8GB-Graphics-Card/VGA3950/

I'm still gonna wait out for AIBs but if they can stay around that price.....

I know but let me hope a little ok??

£400 for the Vega 56 sounds fair right now, but if they're going to repeat the pricing shenanigans that they're rumoured to be doing with the Vega 64 then you'll probably be best jumping on this quick.

Alternatively, PC Part Picker says that eBuyer is taking pre-orders for this Zotac Mini 1070 for £340. Sure, it's a mini GPU and won't cool as well as a full fat GPU, but it's also a good £40 cheaper than any other 1070.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 17, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Twerk from Home posted:

Is the 580 going to be back down to $250 in any reasonable timeframe?

Given they are sold at at the current price there is no incentive to lower prices whatsoever. This also applies to certain Nvidia cards that are great values at crypto mining.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

What are the exact details on this? I assumed they were just not going to make any bare cards after the initial launch batch, i.e. they aren't technically changing MSRP but you won't be able to buy it without the bundle anymore. But with people talking about the retailer getting rebates, it sounds like maybe AMD only produces one SKU with the coupons being part of a separate "bundle item", and AMD is just rebating the retailer for X units of coupon bundles?

The thing about smaller retailers getting smaller rebates is kinda bullshit too but to a certain degree that's just how wholesaling works.

AMD does not make any cards, only Vega GPU chips and a design for the reference board. AMD then sells the Vega GPUs and rights to use their reference design to AIBs. AIBs then manufacture and sell AMD branded reference cards or their own self branded design to retailers at whatever price is workable. The problem here is that the AIBs have to sell at over MSRP to retailers to make any money, I would assume this is because of what AMD is charging for Vega GPUs plus the high cost of the reference board design. This is where the rebate comes in, AMD offers a $100 rebate per card contingent on the retailer selling those cards at MSRP, when the retailers sold through their stock of rebate cards they asked AMD when they could expect another rebate deal, AMDs answer was "lol, never" and thus cards will be sold at whatever price they have to be to make a profit on them. Essentially AMD has given up their enforcement mechanism for MSRP pricing and also priced the GPUs themselves high enough that the MSRP pricing was never feasible for anyone in the AIB to retailer chain in the first place.

But hey, it got them some favorable day one reviews! :thumbsup:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have 2 months on a discount code for the Acer X34 so I need to make a decision by that point.

Hold up, elaborate on this. How much, how'd you get it, and can it be photocopied :cheeky:

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
Whatever AMD say, I really doubt that they will permanently reinstate a rebate to allow retailers to sell at MSRP. That was clearly a very limited gesture (only the most popular retailers and only 250 units in some European countries) designed to get sales moving.

The MSRP is a recommendation and no retailer is obliged to sell at it. It just so happens that this time, for this product, for some loving reason, AMD decided to set an MSRP that retailers cannot sell at even if they wanted to because they would make a loss doing so.

This is all only important for the reference cards, because as soon as the AIBs get their Vega 64 products up, you'll be looking at $600+ anyway. Really, it's a lovely move and I think some reviews of these reference cards should be revisited to take actual pricing into account. Just another chapter in the long line of bollocks that is the handling of this product marketing and release. Vega is RX Vega!

Regarding Crossfire/SLI; AMD and Nvidia still support mGPU, but they are not going to be pushing it in marketing this cycle because support from developers is so poor at the moment.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
B&H dicked me out of my Destiny 2 code :ughh: , thats what I get for not following up immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

Hold up, elaborate on this. How much, how'd you get it, and can it be photocopied :cheeky:

Microcenter carries the X34 for $1000+tax, and if you have a .edu email address they'll knock another $100 off, so I'm at $960 out the door. My old university email is still active. Single-use code unfortunately, and you can't use an email address multiple times.

(Although one possible trick is that you can create "tagged" email addresses, eg "paulmd+microcenter@bigschool.edu", which standards-compliant email servers will route to your usual address. Also, some email systems also ignore the placement of dots, eg "paul.md@bigschool.edu" and "paulmd@bigschool.edu" get routed to the same place in some implementations as well. So it might be possible to get issued multiple codes.)

I thought my Acer XB270HU was dying, but it seems like it might actually be the cable after all. I loving hate video cables, they go bad at like 10x the rate of any other cable, seriously, they are always the first thing I recommend you check when you have video problems. And I did check it, but it looks like the second cable also happened to be bad as well :ughh: Started using my backup monitor and after a day or two it started flickering as well using that same cable from the XB270HU, at that point I was pretty sure it wasn't the GPU (it flickered on another GPU) and sure enough I tried a third cable and it's been fine ever since. loving video cables, I hate them so much.

But anyway now my heart is set on ultrawide and the XR382CQK is like 4" wider at basically the same price ($1000 + tax, but no student discount). I could even tolerate a 75 Hz maximum refresh rate but there's no Gsync version so now I'm having a think about whether I really want that extra 4" badly enough to be involved with this whole shitshow. And no way am I willing to do Crossfire 580s especially at current prices.

Currently I'm thinking the X34 is just too good to pass up, even if it's a little smaller. I could play the game of trying to catch AcerRecertified during the 30 seconds they're in stock but for basically an extra $200 gently caress it, I'll buy new and get the warranty and if it ends up having issues hitting 100 Hz or backlight bleed then I have someplace I can exchange it. Microcenter is the best. Then my GF gets her choice of my Dell P2715Q or my XB270HU for her photo editing/gaming machine, and I sell whatever she doesn't want.

If Acer ends up coming out with a GSync version of the 34" then I guess oh well, I curse angrily and then see how quickly I can haul rear end back down to Microcenter and upgrade.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 17, 2017