Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What are the prices of the book and statue?

Book is was $50, the statue is $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a nice book, but I wish this presentation was swapped with the live letter timing. I can't stay up late to watch that.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Koji looooves his Qs

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
this entire talk so far is "haha look at this cool book you can't have"

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's a nice book, but I wish this presentation was swapped with the live letter timing. I can't stay up late to watch that.

The book also comes with a Namingway pet. :shh::

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Gonna laugh if the Scarlet Witch shirt is actually a teaser for Magitek Knights (Celes/Kefka) and not Red Mage. YoshiP's the same guy who wore a Bond shirt to tease MCH after all.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Bayonne quickly moving past the Moenbryda minion, haha.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Klades posted:

That's the thing that made me link it, at any rate.
Doesn't it fly directly in the face of things that are said in-game?

From what I recall, all we ever really get told is 'Uh.. wasn't Nael a guy?' by someone. And Eula expresses confusion, perhaps because a few moments earlier she had loving wings and suddenly doesn't anymore, but can also feel herself starting to fall apart.

Everything else is forum chatter.

So this basically reconciles the issue: Nael was a guy. But the Nael everyone thought we were fighting was dead and had been replaced by his sister years ago. Kind of like how there was a Char Aznable in Gundam, but Char wasn't actually Char Aznable. Except with more breasts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He just confirmed that the Equilibrium singer is the same as the Shiva one.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Official lyrics for Equilibrium? It's not what anyone was transcribing.

The sigh of the shifting sea
The kiss of the salt-sweet breeze
The white of her silken dress stained in red
A memory fading fast
Her mother sits, eyes downcast
A torn uniform in hand, farewells unsaid

That once a certainty, lost in grief
A daughter's desperate cries, unhead pleas
Forsaken, beaten, tried, on her knees
A prayer passes from her lips
Into her soul the Goddess whispers:

"A heartbeat without harmony
is moonlight without dark
The heart seeketh equilibrium
With balance will your worry part.

"So still this broken melody
And therewith shoulder thee
One last step only leaving
An empty hearth down by the sea
An empty hearth down by the sea"

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
Kill your famil

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gonna laugh if the Scarlet Witch shirt is actually a teaser for Magitek Knights (Celes/Kefka) and not Red Mage. YoshiP's the same guy who wore a Bond shirt to tease MCH after all.

drat it, don't make me hype, I'm trying not to be hype until they actually announce new classes.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/787357146098696192
https://twitter.com/NaschaStrig/status/787357159847710720

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the translated japanese names are kinda better

Blue Heaven Ishgard is decidedly worse than Heavensward

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't know, some of them are kind of bad/bland from a composition standpoint, and others are a bit too on the nose as to the events of the patch in question. It is funny that Defenders of Eorzea is the same in both though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Last Roar, Frozen Fantasy and Vortex are ones I think are definitely better.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Gearhead posted:

From what I recall, all we ever really get told is 'Uh.. wasn't Nael a guy?' by someone. And Eula expresses confusion, perhaps because a few moments earlier she had loving wings and suddenly doesn't anymore, but can also feel herself starting to fall apart.

Everything else is forum chatter.

So this basically reconciles the issue: Nael was a guy. But the Nael everyone thought we were fighting was dead and had been replaced by his sister years ago. Kind of like how there was a Char Aznable in Gundam, but Char wasn't actually Char Aznable. Except with more breasts.
Nael is intentionally made gender neutral by the way they present him in the Japanese version of 1.0, but the localization team for 1.0 used "him" "his" etc for the English language one. Her reveal as a female character in T9 is supposed to be a Samus moment, but it was lost in translation for us

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Traditionally in English, male pronouns are used when someone doesn't know the gender of someone or thing anyway, so it's not a mistake on their part but it's definitely a case of careless translation should they have known beforehand that "Nael" would ultimately not be Nael but Eula. If they didn't know that, and I don't suppose many know if it was the case all along, there's no real reason to question choices at all.

That kind of thing is falling out of use nowadays with social changes and such, but languages grow slowly in some ways and people who learned in days long past aren't necessarily going to know that it's generally more accepted to use them/they in those situations.

e:

this is an erp'er isn't it?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 15, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

e:

this is an erp'er isn't it?

Definitely

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Incidentally, the answers in order were:
Not likely
Yes (I think, I'm not 100% sure)
They grow to a certain point and regrow to that point slowly if damaged
Good, but not as good as Lalafell who supposedly have the best hearing
Hollow.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/787363514063081472

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Koji kinda sorta answered the question I asked about Niellefresne so I am happy! At the very least, he hyped me up more for Stormblood.

Eopia posted:

They actually do mention that Dark Knights originated in Ishgard, with a Knight who valued justice over his own honor or something like that starting the tradition.

Ahhh, thanks for the correction.

they played us like a goddamn fiddle!

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Reiterpallasch posted:

this entire talk so far is "haha look at this cool book you can't have"
please look forward to it (via online orders come monday)

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dukka posted:

please look forward to it (via online orders come monday)

spoiler warning: will sell out instantly

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Unfortunately, I don't think that includes the EU so I guess I'm still poo poo out of luck for a some time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Those all sound incredibly unnatural or bland. The localization team made the right call.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The most bland one there is Revenge of the Horde. I'd be shocked if Warcraft hasn't used it 90 times already.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Incidentally, the answers in order were:
Not likely
Yes (I think, I'm not 100% sure)
They grow to a certain point and regrow to that point slowly if damaged
Good, but not as good as Lalafell who supposedly have the best hearing
Hollow.

It is unsurprising that the potatoes have the best hearing, given how many different things want to eat them.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They keep their ears close to the ground.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They all know that I'm poo poo talking them above their heads.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Au Ra horns would have to be hollow to function as outer ears anyway, if those things were solid keratin or bone all the way through they'd be deaf (also their necks would have to be much thicker to support the weight). Now I could see the horns being filled with fluid instead of solid, but that would really only make sense if they were used as radiators for temperature control (like in sheep) instead of ears.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the entire point of the question was being too timid to just say "are the horns an erogenous zone for erp"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Office Surprise Store posted:

the entire point of the question was being too timid to just say "are the horns an erogenous zone for erp"

Well the answer was pretty clearly no, the horns are hollow and clearly don't have nerve endings.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The most bland one there is Revenge of the Horde. I'd be shocked if Warcraft hasn't used it 90 times already.

https://twitter.com/ff_xiv_en/status/725943612538650624

https://twitter.com/Warcraft/status/726025418864791552

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/726088291162820608

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

The only good thing that has ever happened on Twitter. (Until the Kelly edits ended up there, of course.)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's an insanely literal translation, its more Blue Skies of Ishgard

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

homeless snail posted:

That's an insanely literal translation, its more Blue Skies of Ishgard

A shame they went with Stormblood instead of :The fair springs of Ala Mhigo

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Man, are the Q&A session and concert from Day 1 not available in archives? That sucks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kwyndig posted:

I don't know, some of them are kind of bad/bland from a composition standpoint, and others are a bit too on the nose as to the events of the patch in question. It is funny that Defenders of Eorzea is the same in both though.

I concur with this though in a different way. Mostly it's an 'Active vs. Passive' way most of the titles are presented: the english titles mostly imply a course of action, while the originals (translated on the slide) describe a thing.
This is true even with The Gears of Change, because Change vs. Destiny is an implication of action vs. predetermination.

Something of an exception to this would be the 2.5 titles, however the translated title fits better for a different reason: it's patch 2.5. "Before the Fall" is a way more accurate, and thematic, description of what happens in that patch than "The Light of Hope" :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

Man, are the Q&A session and concert from Day 1 not available in archives? That sucks.

they are, but cleeng is absolutely stupid. scroll to the end of the first video and it will go to the next clip once you play through the remaining bits of the first clip.

• Locked thread