Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Kaal posted:

Name-calling on the Internet is idiotic. Calling Morsi's government a "democracy" is pretty laughable. Painting this as some kind of "good versus evil" dichotomy indicates you've been watching too much Lord of the Rings.

What? The people voted, it was a democratically elected government. Definitely the voting process had flaws, introduced both by Morsi and his opposition, and Morsi did have an uncomfortably heavy hand. But a flawed democracy is still a democracy until Morsi either suspended voting or made voting superfluous, neither of which had happened when he was overthrown. And however laughable his government was, the current military regime is less democratically legitimate in every way.

Saying that Squalid is setting up a dichotomy is funny, considering they never suggested that Morsi was 'good'. It's just that saying you absolutely abhor the methods of the military, but are totally fine and even happy with the results and feel that in the end it was the right thing to have happen is a really dissociative, cowardly position. The only way for military regimes to suppress the will of the majority is going to involve violence and terror so it's best to acknowledge that's what you're advocating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cafel posted:

What? The people voted, it was a democratically elected government. Definitely the voting process had flaws, introduced both by Morsi and his opposition, and Morsi did have an uncomfortably heavy hand. But a flawed democracy is still a democracy until Morsi either suspended voting or made voting superfluous, neither of which had happened when he was overthrown. And however laughable his government was, the current military regime is less democratically legitimate in every way.

Saying that Squalid is setting up a dichotomy is funny, considering they never suggested that Morsi was 'good'. It's just that saying you absolutely abhor the methods of the military, but are totally fine and even happy with the results and feel that in the end it was the right thing to have happen is a really dissociative, cowardly position. The only way for military regimes to suppress the will of the majority is going to involve violence and terror so it's best to acknowledge that's what you're advocating.

That's not really fair. Morsi criminally misrepresented himself. He spoke of human and women's rights, and unity. Tahrir was firmly in his corner until he showed his true colors through policy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rkHUAJrPr8

Yes, it was a democracy, and as I've already said, in hindsight, it would've been better for him to finish out his term. But on a 1 to 10 scale of democratic legitimacy, Morsi and the MB don't edge out Sisi and co by a whole lot. The biggest issue was that at the time of his election, the MB and the military then started making negotiations about the power and influence that the position of Presidency would hold. The democratic process itself was so incomplete that 4 years of Morsi basically instituting MB gerrymandered rules would have likely been fatal to it anyways. I still think the ideal process would have been for the military to remove Morsi without attempting to detain him more than was necessary for his own safety, allowed the constitutional court to rework the democratic process, and then re-held elections with the MB as a party when things were shored up and not so easy to subvert. Sadly, for the military, that option wasn't on the table, evidently.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Chechen jihadists are claiming they've killed a Russian mercenary in Homs, with accompanying letters from a "Slavonic Corps Limited," a Russian, Hong-Kong based (?) military contractor.

Russia has previously acknowledged that as many as 400 of its nationals are fighting as mercenaries in Syria.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 20, 2013

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I found its website.

http://slavcorps.org/en/about

quote:

PMC is a Company performing its statutory tasks in high risk areas, in particular in areas of military actions where actions of the Company itself and of its employees are rather deterrent than attacking so they allow some preventive options. These measures should be necessarily interpreted in favor of primary military forces of the country, according to the general order.

Private Military Company "Slavonic Corps" is founded by professional servicemen, by officers in reserve having rich practical combat and command experience.

The Company's activities are in strict correspondence to Russian law and to the law of those countries where the Company protects Russian companies' interests. Our principle - we never participate in armed conflicts as mercenaries and never consult entities, groups or individuals having even a slightest relation to terrorist organizations. Further we never take part in events related to overthrow of governments, violating human rights of civilian population and in any other actions violating International Law and Conventions.
To carry out specific operations within territory of different countries we have formed an employment pool consisting of Special Task Forces ex-officers from different corps and having tremendous personal and operative experience.

The "Slavonic Corps" will begin its mission only after of official approval from control authorities and receiving all necessary licenses, certificates and allowances for security and other activities in the host country.
We have significant advantages over similar Russian and foreign Companies.

Our team strictly complies with the Law and regulations of the host country.

Only in the "Slavonic Corps" you will find working ex-officers and higher quality professionals possessing unique military professions and having experience of work in Iraq, Afghanistan, Eastern Africa, Tajikistan, Northern Caucasus, Serbia etc.

Yep totally not a merc outfit guys.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mr.48 posted:

Also, can people please stop posting as if I endorse the Egyptian military shooting unarmed protesters? I'm getting a little tired of explaining over and over again that I'm against any violence towards peaceful protesters.

You haven't explicitly endorsed the shooting of peaceful protesters, no, but you've endorsed the Egyptian military dictatorship despite the fact that it's shooting peaceful protesters, referring to the current government which is actively massacring minority political groups as "the lesser evil". You may not specifically be cheering them for their actions, but you sure aren't letting the new dictatorship's bad behavior prevent you from thinking of them as heroes who do whatever it takes to keep those mean old religious people out of power.

Volkerball posted:

That's not really fair. Morsi criminally misrepresented himself. He spoke of human and women's rights, and unity. Tahrir was firmly in his corner until he showed his true colors through policy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rkHUAJrPr8

Yes, it was a democracy, and as I've already said, in hindsight, it would've been better for him to finish out his term. But on a 1 to 10 scale of democratic legitimacy, Morsi and the MB don't edge out Sisi and co by a whole lot. The biggest issue was that at the time of his election, the MB and the military then started making negotiations about the power and influence that the position of Presidency would hold. The democratic process itself was so incomplete that 4 years of Morsi basically instituting MB gerrymandered rules would have likely been fatal to it anyways. I still think the ideal process would have been for the military to remove Morsi without attempting to detain him more than was necessary for his own safety, allowed the constitutional court to rework the democratic process, and then re-held elections with the MB as a party when things were shored up and not so easy to subvert. Sadly, for the military, that option wasn't on the table, evidently.

There's no way your idea would have worked. The instant an unelected body not accountable to the people claims and exercises the right to step in and removes a democratically-elected government by force, the democracy loses its legitimacy because who's going to guarantee that the next government which does something Sisi dislikes won't meet the same fate? The MB, in particular, would absolutely not tolerate any "solution" that involved throwing Morsi out and redoing elections - they won the elections once only to be unceremoniously kicked out, so why should they even bother trying to pursue a second election victory when the same thing might just happen again? The establishment hasn't exactly been kind to the MB in Egypt, historically.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kaal posted:

Name-calling on the Internet is idiotic. Calling Morsi's government a "democracy" is pretty laughable. Painting this as some kind of "good versus evil" dichotomy indicates you've been watching too much Lord of the Rings.

Things that aren't democratic: When a majority of people elect someone I don't like.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no way your idea would have worked. The instant an unelected body not accountable to the people claims and exercises the right to step in and removes a democratically-elected government by force, the democracy loses its legitimacy because who's going to guarantee that the next government which does something Sisi dislikes won't meet the same fate? The MB, in particular, would absolutely not tolerate any "solution" that involved throwing Morsi out and redoing elections - they won the elections once only to be unceremoniously kicked out, so why should they even bother trying to pursue a second election victory when the same thing might just happen again? The establishment hasn't exactly been kind to the MB in Egypt, historically.

The Constitutional Court approved of and worked with the military on the decision to oust Morsi, and they are the ones who were granted the power to impeach under Egypt's constitution. A constitution that people voted on. And you're right about the MB, but there's middle ground between allowing them back into the process and expecting things to just go on like nothing happened, and actively rallying the majority to support firing on protesters while imprisoning all their leaders on flimsy pretense.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 20, 2013

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People keep ignoring that the reason the military is shooting MB is because they were a risk to their power. If the seculars attempted to dismantle the grip the military has over Egypt's economy the same outcome would probably happen.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

cafel posted:

There's a lot more to a democracy than "people voting". In the election: Half the candidates were disqualified, the vote was conducted prior to the new constitution being drawn and ratified, voter turnout struggled to reach 50 percent, the campaigns were marked with widespread fraud and corruption, and the vote-count was conducted in secret. As a result, a figure who had polled in the single digits in the months ahead of the election was declared the president. After the election: Morsi quickly moved against all of his political rivals, including calling for the arrest of his main electoral opponent. He blatantly ignored the popular calls for moderate government, and instead entrenched his power and pushed for radicalization of the Egyptian constitution. He declared himself beyond the reach of judicial law, and oversaw widespread purging of opposition political groups. When the public protested, he initiated a crackdown with the help of Muslim Brotherhood militias. Then, in the midst of these massive protests, he passed the new Islamic constitution with a supposed 60 percent of the vote. In the meantime, Morsi neglects any of the domestic and economic issues that he had campaigned on. The previously-stable country spirals into months of massive protests, police crackdowns and mob violence, eventually culminating in millions of Egyptians protesting on June 30 and the Army delivering an ultimatum that Morsi either solve his political problems through moderation or step down - Morsi balked and was impeached in a coup.

Morsi's government was many things, but one thing it was not was "the people's rule". Characterizing it as such requires deliberate historical revisioning, and is a disservice to the millions and millions of Egyptians who turned out to protest against him and his autocratic policies. He clearly did not have popular legitimacy, and trying to establish that he did in the face of 15-30 million Egyptians taking to the streets seems pretty farcical.

It was not a "flawed democracy", it was a "failed democracy", and that's not something to write home about.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 20, 2013

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Kaal posted:

There's a lot more to a democracy than "people voting". In the election: Half the candidates were disqualified, the vote was conducted prior to the new constitution being drawn and ratified, voter turnout struggled to reach 50 percent, the campaigns were marked with widespread fraud and corruption, and the vote-count was conducted in secret. As a result, a figure who had polled in the single digits in the months ahead of the election was declared the president. After the election: Morsi quickly moved against all of his political rivals, including calling for the arrest of his main electoral opponent. He blatantly ignored the popular calls for moderate government, and instead entrenched his power and pushed for radicalization of the Egyptian constitution. He declared himself beyond the reach of judicial law, and oversaw widespread purging of opposition political groups. When the public protested, he initiated a crackdown with the help of Muslim Brotherhood militias. Then, in the midst of these massive protests, he passed the new Islamic constitution with a supposed 60 percent of the vote. In the meantime, Morsi neglects any of the domestic and economic issues that he had campaigned on. The previously-stable country spirals into months of massive protests, police crackdowns and mob violence, eventually culminating in millions of Egyptians protesting on June 30 and the Army delivering an ultimatum that Morsi either solve his political problems through moderation or step down - Morsi balked and was impeached in a coup.

Morsi's government was many things, but one thing it was not was "the people's rule". Characterizing it as such requires deliberate historical revisioning, and is a disservice to the millions and millions of Egyptians who turned out to protest against him and his autocratic policies. He clearly did not have popular legitimacy, and trying to establish that he did in the face of 15-30 million Egyptians taking to the streets seems pretty farcical.

It was not a "flawed democracy", it was a "failed democracy", and that's not something to write home about.

I think what most people are saying, is that if Morsi was really that bad, a year or two more should have seen his faction decimated in parliamentary elections, A few years after that he would have been soundly voted out of office, with himself and his political allies a laughing stock, and an example in the history books not to be repeated. This is all in an ideal world though, and it wasn't so simple as that. But had people just waited for elections, if Morsi was that unpopular and corrupt, a change in government could have taken place without the military playing a role and shooting a bunch of people.

Drunken Warlord
Jul 8, 2013

It's a dogs life.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Things that aren't democratic: When a majority of people elect someone I don't like.

I don't think he's questioning whether or not the actual election that brought Morsi to power was democratic, but how the post-election Morsi government undermined the present and future democracy - authorizing himself sweeping powers and such. When you're attacking people who're protesting (as their democratic right), I think serious questions have to be raised about how you're upholding democracy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

dinoputz posted:

I think what most people are saying, is that if Morsi was really that bad, a year or two more should have seen his faction decimated in parliamentary elections, A few years after that he would have been soundly voted out of office, with himself and his political allies a laughing stock, and an example in the history books not to be repeated. This is all in an ideal world though, and it wasn't so simple as that. But had people just waited for elections, if Morsi was that unpopular and corrupt, a change in government could have taken place without the military playing a role and shooting a bunch of people.

Even if we assume that Morsi wouldn't just rig the rules and the votes in the next election (pretty unlikely considering he had done just that in the constitutional ratification), there's no indication that Egypt could survive another few years of Morsi rule. The country was falling apart, and the security state was having serious existential problems in the face of widespread governmental opposition. Morsi was leading lynch-mobs of Salafists while the Egyptian military was being tasked with holding back 15 million protesters outside his palace. That's not a situation that can wait for two years just because no one is allowed to say otherwise. A country can't be allowed to fall apart just to satisfy completely arbitrary rules.

When he withdrew his candidacy in 2012, El Baradei said that it was a travesty to elect a president before a constitution had been drafted, and he was absolutely right. Without agreed-upon rules to operate by, there was no legitimacy to found anything upon. Everything collapsed because everyone treated it like a game of Calvinball, and no one respected any limits placed upon them. It was a mistake from the beginning, and it's time that Egypt turn back the pages and try again.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 20, 2013

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kaal posted:

Even if we assume that Morsi wouldn't just rig the rules and the votes in the next election (pretty unlikely considering he had done just that in the constitutional ratification), there's no indication that Egypt could survive another two years of Morsi rule. The country was falling apart, and the security state was having serious existential problems in the face of widespread governmental opposition. Morsi was leading lynch-mobs of Salafists while the Egyptian military was being tasked with holding back 15 million protesters outside his palace. That's not a situation that can wait for two years just because no one is allowed to say otherwise. A country can't be allowed to fall apart just to satisfy completely arbitrary rules.

When he withdrew his candidacy in 2012, El Baradei said that it was a travesty to elect a president before a constitution had been drafted, and he was absolutely right. Without agreed-upon rules to operate by, there was no legitimacy to found anything upon. Everything collapsed because everyone treated it like a game of Calvinball, and no one respected any limits placed upon them. It was a mistake from the beginning, and it's time that Egypt turn back the pages and try again.

The military sure isn't having any problem holding back the protesters now, though! I agree that Egypt's democracy was hardly stable, but Morsi's government wasn't the only one with large amounts of people protesting against it. Since a lot of people are protesting against the current regime, should the military intervene to dethrone al-Sisi and install another government that they think would be good for Egypt (and while we're at it, should the military intervene to overthrow Obama because the Tea Party is protesting his rule and the government is nonfunctional? I think not)? Morsi's reforms may have been undemocratic, but as long as the military remains the self-proclaimed custodian and arbiter of governmental power, no Egyptian government will truly be of the people. No, Morsi was not a perfect paragon of democracy, nor did he have majority support - but neither does the current government, and at least Morsi had checks on his power and a veneer of legitimacy! Besides, and this is pretty important, I don't recall Morsi declaring open season on anyone and everyone who protested against his government. Morsi's government was most definitely not perfect, but I don't see how the new military rule is somehow better, more legitimate, more democratic, or more moral than Morsi's administration.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

The military sure isn't having any problem holding back the protesters now, though! I agree that Egypt's democracy was hardly stable, but Morsi's government wasn't the only one with large amounts of people protesting against it. Since a lot of people are protesting against the current regime, should the military intervene to dethrone al-Sisi and install another government that they think would be good for Egypt (and while we're at it, should the military intervene to overthrow Obama because the Tea Party is protesting his rule and the government is nonfunctional? I think not)?

If tens of millions of Morsi supporters pour out onto the streets for months at a time and the current regime refuses to change policies or incorporate them into its government, then of course the military should intervene. Egypt has a president not an emperor. I doubt that we'll see that happen though.

quote:

Morsi's reforms may have been undemocratic, but as long as the military remains the self-proclaimed custodian and arbiter of governmental power, no Egyptian government will truly be of the people. No, Morsi was not a perfect paragon of democracy, nor did he have majority support - but neither does the current government, and at least Morsi had checks on his power and a veneer of legitimacy! Besides, and this is pretty important, I don't recall Morsi declaring open season on anyone and everyone who protested against his government. Morsi's government was most definitely not perfect, but I don't see how the new military rule is somehow better, more legitimate, more democratic, or more moral than Morsi's administration.

I don't think that a veneer of democracy is worth a drat. A secure and moderate state that is responsive to the will of its people is absolutely worth something though. Morsi put Egypt on a road toward religious oligarchy, and I'm not crying in my cups because he mumped it up. Egypt has returned to the status quo, and I'm hopeful that their next attempt will be more successful.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Are you 'crying in your cups' over the military going about that by ruling the MB inherently forbidden from being in politics, gunning people down, and making it pretty clear whatever elections come next will be heavily influenced by the military?

I mean if you're allowed to do a military coup on what you assume people will do that's a pretty hosed up system.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Are you 'crying in your cups' over the military going about that by ruling the MB inherently forbidden from being in politics, gunning people down, and making it pretty clear whatever elections come next will be heavily influenced by the military? I mean if you're allowed to do a military coup on what you assume people will do that's a pretty hosed up system.

A country in the Middle East that is heavily influenced by the military? Well I never :blush:

I vote that the next 1300 page thread be entitled The Middle East: Military Influence

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 20, 2013

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kaal posted:

If tens of millions of Morsi supporters pour out onto the streets for months at a time and the current regime refuses to change policies or incorporate them into its government, then of course the military should intervene. Egypt has a president not an emperor. I doubt that we'll see that happen though.

I don't think that a veneer of democracy is worth a drat. A secure and moderate state that is responsive to the will of its people is absolutely worth something though. Morsi put Egypt on a road toward religious oligarchy, and I'm not crying in my cups because he mumped it up. Egypt has returned to the status quo, and I'm hopeful that their next attempt will be more successful.

The next attempt can't be successful, because now the cards are on the table. The next Egyptian government won't give two shits about the will of the people, they'll be more focused on appealing to the government and appeasing the corrupt officials, because two successive government changes followed by several massacres of protesters as well as mass arrests of a political party have demonstrated who's really in control.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So, although there are certainly moderate, non-authoritarian political elements within Egypt, none of those factions have been able to demonstrate the organizational cohesion or popular support necessary to break into political power. The two factions that have dominated Egypt during the crisis going back to the Arab Spring are coalitions revolving around either the Egyption military or the Muslim Brotherhood. Although the original protests in Tahrir Square set events into motion that caused a change in how the state would be governed on its face, in reality none of the major parties participating in the subsequent reforms were interested in finding a moderate path between their two fundamentally opposed ideologies, let alone instituting democracy. I think the posters that are arguing right now would agree with this assessment, as simplified as it is. So, given that, what is it about the ousted MB faction that makes them preferable to those currently in power?

Was there something about Egypt's prospects that was brighter during the days of tension leading up to the coup against Morsi, that was lost after his ouster?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Kaal posted:

This post is kinda full of bull. Egypt prior to the elections wasn't at all stable, the military disbanded parliament as a parting gift, and the MB never purged opposition parties. The MB were faced by opposition from a corrupt judiciary, secular parties looking for relevance through siding with said judiciary, and most of all the old NDP cadre of businessmen and the police force, both left out to dry by the military after they "handed" power to Morsi. The constitution was a joke though and the MB were fairly inexperienced.
I mean, if there's a moral good or evil in this story just look at the political arrests and massacres committed by both military governments and compare it to Morsi. Come on.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ham posted:

and most of all the old NDP cadre of businessmen and the police force, both left out to dry by the military after they "handed" power to Morsi.

For handing power to Morsi? At the time, it seemed to me like, while the candidates going through rounds of elections was a bit off, Morsi did seem like the popular candidate. That's nice that they are basically condemning democratic elections. :sigh:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

So, although there are certainly moderate, non-authoritarian political elements within Egypt, none of those factions have been able to demonstrate the organizational cohesion or popular support necessary to break into political power. The two factions that have dominated Egypt during the crisis going back to the Arab Spring are coalitions revolving around either the Egyption military or the Muslim Brotherhood. Although the original protests in Tahrir Square set events into motion that caused a change in how the state would be governed on its face, in reality none of the major parties participating in the subsequent reforms were interested in finding a moderate path between their two fundamentally opposed ideologies, let alone instituting democracy. I think the posters that are arguing right now would agree with this assessment, as simplified as it is. So, given that, what is it about the ousted MB faction that makes them preferable to those currently in power?

Was there something about Egypt's prospects that was brighter during the days of tension leading up to the coup against Morsi, that was lost after his ouster?

Religious fundamentalism and military dictatorship aren't fundamentally opposed, and any "moderate path" combining the two of them would have been absolutely horrific. The reason the two didn't get along wasn't because of ideological differences, it's because the military faction was full of Mubarak loyalists and the Muslim Brotherhood had been illegal for the entirety of Mubarak's tenure.

Why was the MB preferable to the current leadership? Well, for one thing, the MB wasn't actively massacring protesters, arresting opposition politicians, and suppressing media organizations that don't toe the party line. For another thing, Morsi was elected; even if he wasn't actually the most popular candidate, it still beats appointing himself Morsi's government was flawed in many ways and he went pretty far to consolidate power in his own hands, but the current crackdowns are on a whole different level.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chadderbox posted:

Ethiopia decided to construct a power generating dam on their section of the Nile and Morsi threatened them saying Egypt would not tolerate any disruption to the amount of water Egypt gets from it, and then one of his ministers was caught talking on a hot mic about sending special forces in to sabotage it.

You know I originally wrote Ethiopia, but changed my mind after glancing at a map. Oops.

Here is a story about the resource/energy crisis.

Some musical accompaniment in the theme of little green men declaring humans to be in default if we use our superweapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zryz-kpG5A

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Democratically elected officials do not need to provide universal suffrage or rights. Likewise, non-democratically elected can, but do not need to, provide universal suffrage or rights. Egypt shat this up twice with Morsi loving around too much and the coup going full slaughter on anyone who opposed them.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Religious fundamentalism and military dictatorship aren't fundamentally opposed, and any "moderate path" combining the two of them would have been absolutely horrific. The reason the two didn't get along wasn't because of ideological differences, it's because the military faction was full of Mubarak loyalists and the Muslim Brotherhood had been illegal for the entirety of Mubarak's tenure.

Is this true? Would there be/is there no major point of ideological dispute between the Military and the MB? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't, but I somehow got the impression from a Frontline documentary that there was a big difference. That may all be down to perception of the media, though. Can you, Main Paineframe, or anyone, elaborate?

Of course it's kind of a given that the Sisi government will continue the practice of maintaining the military's substantial hold over the economy via it's patronage networks and property holdings, and that's a difference, but besides that? Are the Military-aligned factions just as socially regressive as the MB?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Is this true? Would there be/is there no major point of ideological dispute between the Military and the MB? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't, but I somehow got the impression from a Frontline documentary that there was a big difference. That may all be down to perception of the media, though. Can you, Main Paineframe, or anyone, elaborate?

Of course it's kind of a given that the Sisi government will continue the practice of maintaining the military's substantial hold over the economy via it's patronage networks and property holdings, and that's a difference, but besides that? Are the Military-aligned factions just as socially regressive as the MB?

I think he's saying that the concept of a religious fundamentalist government and one dominated by the military aren't mutually exclusive. But honestly I think the NDP's primary ideology is 'we're in charge, we'll stay in charge, gently caress you'. My bet is that the military simply doesn't trust the MB not to pull something, given their longstanding animosity, nor does it trust the MB to be able keep the country from falling apart to the extent were the army stops getting payed.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

Why was the MB preferable to the current leadership? Well, for one thing, the MB wasn't actively massacring protesters, arresting opposition politicians, and suppressing media organizations that don't toe the party line.

This is either complete revisionism or a remarkably short memory. Plenty of anti-Morsi protesters were killed by police and Salafist militias, and Morsi actively protected those responsible and in fact led some of the lynch mobs. And when the courts tried to arrest those who were responsible, Morsi closed the investigations and pardoned them all. He arrested as many of the opposition as would stay in the country, and issued warrants for everyone who left, most notably his electoral rival Ahmed Shafik. He purged the existing bureaucracy of anyone who disagreed with him, and banned anyone with ties to the Mubarak government from being elected. And he brutally suppressed the media - filing sedition charges against opposition journalists and pulling issues from shelves.

http://rt.com/news/press-crackdown-egypt-mursi-996/
http://rt.com/news/military-deployed-cairo-protest-402/

Here's some choice bits from his "constitutional reforms":

quote:

All investigations into the killing of protesters or the use of violence against them will be re-conducted; trials of those accused will be re-held. With the declaration a new "protection of the revolution" judicial body was also created to swiftly carry out the prosecutions, but the decree would not lead to retrials of the dozens of lower-level police officers who have been acquitted or received suspended sentences in trials for killing protesters — verdicts that have outraged many Egyptians. That exclusion will guarantee Morsi the loyalty of the powerful but hated police force.[66]
All constitutional declarations, laws and decrees made since Mr Morsi assumed power cannot be appealed or cancelled by any individual, or political or governmental body
The public prosecutor will be appointed by the president for a fixed term of four years, and must be aged at least 40
The constituent assembly's timeline for drafting the new constitution has been extended by two months.
No judicial authority can dissolve the constituent assembly or the upper house of parliament (Shura Council)
The president is authorised to take any measures he sees fit in order to preserve the revolution, to preserve national unity or to safeguard national security

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 21, 2013

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Kaal posted:

This is either complete revisionism or a remarkably short memory. Plenty of anti-Morsi protesters were killed by police and Salafist militias, and Morsi actively protected those responsible and in fact led some of the lynch mobs. And when the courts tried to arrest those who were responsible, Morsi closed the investigations and pardoned them all. He arrested as many of the opposition as would stay in the country, and issued warrants for everyone who left, most notably his electoral rival Ahmed Shafik. He purged the existing bureaucracy of anyone who disagreed with him, and banned anyone with ties to the Mubarak government from being elected. And he brutally suppressed the media - filing sedition charges against opposition journalists and pulling issues from shelves.

http://rt.com/news/press-crackdown-egypt-mursi-996/
http://rt.com/news/military-deployed-cairo-protest-402/

Here's some choice bits from his "constitutional reforms":

Morsi-led lynch mobs? Brutal suppression of media? Arrested opposition people? Asidd from the constitutional changes, you're talking out of your rear end. The "journalists" tried and convicted by the MB-appointed DA were 3 islamic TV hosts. 2 for burning a bible on air, 1 for falsifying libelous images of a liberal actress. They all got jail sentences. This also comes nowhere close to the military's media crackdown which since day one has been "arrest any MB-leaning media personell, confiscate their assets, and tightly control the anti-MB media to the extent of setting a universal media policy and arbitrating broadcast content. That's your "brutal" suppression of the media.

Also, Ahmed Shafik ran off to the UAE once he lost because he knew the charges filed against him as a Mubarak era high official would eventually catch upto him. His only hope was winning the election.

Ham fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 21, 2013

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Ham posted:

Morsi-led lynch mobs?

I don't think that you can call thousands of Muslim Brotherhood Salifists pulling five Shia Muslims from their house, killing them and dragging them through the streets anything else than a lynch mob.

:nws: http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/06/24/310617/prominent-shia-sheikh-killed-in-egypt/ :nws:

I'm not going to address the rest of your points because "those people deserved it" doesn't really seem like adequate equivocation, nor is it a particularly compelling point in Morsi's favor.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 21, 2013

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Kaal posted:

I don't think that you can call thousands of Muslim Brotherhood Salifists pulling five Shia Muslims from their house, killing them and dragging them through the streets anything else than a lynch mob.

:nws: http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/06/24/310617/prominent-shia-sheikh-killed-in-egypt/ :nws:

I'm not going to address the rest of your points because "those people deserved it" doesn't really seem like adequate justification, nor is it a particularly compelling point in Morsi's favor.

I think the rest of his points had more to do with the vast difference in scale between Morsi's offenses and the militaries offenses then whether anyone deserved anything they got. Morsi persecuted certain media figures that crossed him, the military dismantled entire broadcast outlets. Morsi moved to consolidate political power for his party and edge out and marginalize rivals, the military banned an entire opposing political party and arrested most of the party leaders and organizers. Cases of sectarian violence being met with tacit condonement versus direct orders to machine gun hundreds of peaceful protesters in the streets. There's a difference in the proportionality that's disingenuous to ignore.

I find Republican efforts to suppress minority voters immoral and a threat to the fabric of American democracy, but arresting their party leaders and killing their supporters in the streets would be more immoral and a much bigger blow to the democratic process.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kaal posted:

Lynch mobs, yes. I'm not seeing anything that indicates they were Morsi-led however. These look more like al-Nour Salafis. 15 people were charged, and at least 5 were arrested within a week of the attack. Ahram didn't have much to say on it.

quote:

The murders have been denounced from across the political and religious spectrum.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/74890/Egypt/Politics-/Five-arrested-over-Shia-murders-in-Egypt.aspx

The only condemnation of Morsi I can find is from a group called the Shia Rights Watch (through a news site I've never heard of named Ahlul Bayt), who said

quote:

SRW had previously warned the Egyptian authorities about violations towards Shia Muslims in Egypt. Shia rights violation escalated especially after president Mursi took office in 2012. President Mursi has supported hatred languages and activities against Shia minority and his support lead to harassment, human rights violations, oppression and now assassination of Sheikh Hassan Shehata and three more.

Because of the increasing violation towards Shia Muslims, SRW calls on Egyptian Judicial Council to trial the Egyptian president in charge of inciting sectarian conflict in country. Mursi must be held responsible for the crimes against Shia Muslims since there are many evidences available that his leadership is leading to crimes against human rights.

SRW believes president Mursi should be questioned by the Egyptian court for violating human rights and increasing violence between sects of Islam.

http://abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&Id=433434

However, on SRW's website, they have a counter of all the Shia's who have been murdered this year (with questionable methodology. I can think of 300+ shias killed in 2 massacres alone just in Latakia, not to mention how many have been killed in Syria by other means).

Which implies that was literally the only attack on Shia's during the most turbulent time of Morsi's presidency. So with all that being said, I think "Morsi led lynch mobs" seems a bit unfair. Also, I found this story on BBC, Ahram, and a couple other sites. You should do some more cross-referencing next time, because if I didn't know you, I would have completely disregarded all your posts once I saw PressTV and RT links.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 21, 2013

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Volkerball posted:

So with all that being said, I think "Morsi led lynch mobs" seems a bit unfair. Also, I found this story on BBC, Ahram, and a couple other sites. You should do some more cross-referencing next time, because if I didn't know you, I would have completely disregarded all your posts once I saw PressTV and RT links.

It probably is rather unfair, but certainly Morsi aligned himself with the al-Nour Salifists, headlined rallies where clerics promoted violence against Shias, and said nothing to pacify the crowds. If a GOP President invited the KKK to speak at his anniversary rally, and then they killed four black Baptists a week later, I don't think that it'd be a stretch to say that he'd have a responsibility in that. Nor indeed was this the only event where anti-Morsi citizens were killed - the protests were massive and so it was a fairly common event.

Similarly, I'm sure that the other sites have much better coverage, but they also don't have graphic footage. Maybe that's not fair to lead with it, but I'm really not liking to see this kind of whitewashing. The military crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood was brutal, but that doesn't void the months of protests and unrest that led up to it. This portrayal of a peaceful Morsi regime that only operated inside the rules seems a complete invention to me and puts a lie to widespread Egyptian opinion.

On the other hand, I don't think that comparing tragedies and abuses is really taking this thread anywhere, so I'll rest my case.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 21, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kaal posted:

It probably is rather unfair, but certainly Morsi aligned himself with the al-Nour Salifists, headlined rallies where clerics promoted violence against Shias, and said nothing to pacify the crowds. If a GOP President invited the KKK to speak at his anniversary rally, and then they killed four black Baptists a week later, I don't think that it'd be a stretch to say that they'd have a responsibility in that.

I agree with that.

quote:

Similarly, I'm sure that the other sites have much better coverage, but they also don't have graphic footage. Maybe that's not fair to lead with it, but I'm really not liking to see this kind of whitewashing. The military crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood was brutal, but that doesn't void the months of protests and unrest that led up to it.

I don't think anyone is really whitewashing anything or claiming the bolded section. Ham I know was anti-Morsi, but rightly didn't think the military taking over was the proper course of action to end his Presidency. I think we're all in the same boat (aside from Mr. 48) in believing that the MB was about as bad a political group in power you can possibly have that isn't actively drawing support from their base to dismantle protests with brutal force. The military took that a step further though, and they deserve more condemnation for that. It seems we're all arguing about the ratio of condemnation that should be spread between the MB and the military, not whether or not one group didn't deserve any condemnation at all. Which is kind of a silly thing to be discussed now that I see it typed out. :blush:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Prime Minister of Egypt gave an interesting interview to a satellite network.

quote:

Interim Prime Minister Hazem El-Beblawi says there are indications that Egypt is "on the right track," asserting that improvements are evident in terms of security, politics, and economy.

In an interview televised on the private satellite television channel CBC, El-Beblawi said that the Egyptian state is built on these three arenas, and as such these improvements will lead to stability.

On security, he said: "The state regains its status day by day, and the relationship between the police and people has warmed after a period of struggle lasting decades."

Under interior minister Habib El-Adly, who led the ministry from 1997 until 2011, police abuses had grown common, marking one of the major reasons behind the 2011 revolution's eruption and the subsequent overthrow of the Mubarak regime.

Following severe clashes the between civilians and police during the 2011 uprising, the public's hostility with the police was further blemished. The ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi repaired the relationship, with law enforcement and the majority of Egyptians standing together against the former elected president.

There are still occasional clashes, however, between Morsi supporters, security forces and other Morsi opponents.

"The interior ministry exerted a huge effort while dispersing the sit-ins at Rabaa Al-Adawiya and Nahda," El-Beblawi stated, referring to the sites of two pro-Morsi sit-ins that were violently dispersed by police on 14 August.

"The health ministry has issued a detailed statement of the casualties, according to which the overall death toll, including that of the Muslim Brotherhood, does not exceed 1414 persons."

The Muslim Brotherhood – the group from which Morsi hails – and its supporters have repeatedly claimed that thousands, not just hundreds, were killed during the sit-ins' dispersal.
They continue to insist on reinstating the unpopular leader amidst a political stalemate.

"As for political stability," El-Beblawi went on, "It is being achieved through the road map."

The roadmap, which was agreed upon by a number of political forces as well as Egypt's leading Sunni authority Al-Azhar and the Coptic Church, was enforced by the armed forces on 3 July following mass protests against Morsi's rule.

The roadmap included Morsi's ouster, the freezing of the Islamist-backed 2012 constitution pending amendments, and the dissolution of the Islamist-dominated parliamentary lower house, the Shura Council. It also entails presidential and parliamentary elections.

"The constitution-amending committee is about to finalise the amendments and put up the final draft for a public referendum [as per the roadmap]," El-Beblawi added.

Speaking on the deteriorated economy, he commented: "There are strong indicators that there is economic improvement, starting with the stock market gains in addition to some foreign investments, even if they are still weak."

The Egyptian economy was severely hit after the 2011 revolution, and has further deteriorated over the past three years due to continuing political upheaval.

On Sunday, Egypt's stocks hit a two-year high during trading as investors resumed their optimistic outlook on the country's political situation.

Protest Law can be amended

El-Beblawi also spoke about the controversial protest law that has been criticised across the political spectrum.

He said that he is ready to make amendments to the bill if necessary, although he is "proud of what the government has achieved in that law."

The most controversial articles of the law are articles 6, 10 and 14.

Article 6 states that a written appeal should be handed to the local police station 24 hours before any scheduled protest. The appeal must include the protest's location and purpose, the names and contact information of its organisers, as well as its demands and the proposed start and end time.

Article 10 gives the interior minister or senior police officials the authority to cancel, postpone or change the location of a protest, although protesters can seek emergency judicial intervention against such decisions.

During Morsi's year in power, neither the interior minister nor senior police officials were able to issue a direct order to cancel a protest. Such a demand had to be issued by the judiciary.

Article 14 states that governors have the power to designate "protest-free" areas of 50 to 100 metres around state and governmental premises, including presidential palaces, headquarters of legislative authorities and the cabinet.

Well I wasn't doubting that the military exerted a huge effort. :psyduck: They've already missed some deadlines that were in the initial roadmap IIRC, but at least it seems they intend to follow through with it. So it seems this is basically going to be Mubarak's regime with a new President and "elections" every 4 years, with the military receiving unilateral veto power. People are investing though, so maybe this thing has bottomed out?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

John Kerry in Paris right now taking questions from the press and one question asked about Assad seeking re election. Kerry stated plainly that peace will not come to Syria if Assad remains in any official capacity in the Syrian government. This is part of a meeting with Kerry and the Qatari Foreign Minister taking place in Paris.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just spent my first full day at Google Idea's Conflict in a Connected World summit. During the events they launched a few new products, including the DDoS visulisation site Digital Attack Map, and the DDoS mitigation project, Project Shield. My favourite though was uProxy, a simple, browser to browser proxy. It effectively means that users in Iran (for example) can bypass web censorship using a secure proxy linked directly to another persons browser (based outside Iran) with a couple of mouseclicks. As you can imagine, that's a pretty big deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ6BuHL0EiQ

quote:

Google Sends a Lifeline to Internet Users in Iran and China

For years, Google has been developing ways to help people living under oppressive regimes that thwart online suppression. Today, the company unveils three new tools to help advance the fight.

Starting Monday, Google users in places like Iran, Syria, China, and Russia will be able to mask their online identity with the help of a friend in a censor-free country. Human-rights groups will have a new tool to stop their governments from shutting down their websites. And the world will have a new way to watch where the most cyber attacks are coming from.

The first tool, a browser extension called uProxy establishes an encrypted link between two users who know and trust each other—one who is trying to evade detection and one who is allowing that first user to assume his or her online identity. A Syrian activist, for example, can now experience the internet through the browser of a friend in the United States. It’s like a social networking tool for dissidents.

“You would use uProxy to exit a country that you are in that is practicing oppressive practices to a country that you consider to be free and open. You’re using the internet of a trusted connection,” said Yasmin Green, the principal responsible for strategy and operations at Google Ideas, the company’s “think/do tank” based out of New York. “This is an example of a product that is needed in places like Iran, where there is no safe way to access the internet without knowing that you are safe from being monitored and intercepted."

Green and Google Ideas director Jared Cohen, a former official in Hillary Clinton’s State Department, will be unveiling uProxy on Monday at a conference called Conflict on a Connected World, hosted in conjunction with the Council on Foreign Relations, a nonpartisan think tank based in Washington, and the Gen Next Foundation, a venture philanthropy group. In an interview with The Daily Beast, the Google leaders talked about the new tools and shared their vision for their company’s role in giving cyber dissidents the means to fight their governments.

The company is constantly evaluating how to balance their desire to lead the fight for online freedom while staying out of the business of creating the content to be protected. For now, the plan is to focus on the most vulnerable victims and the most egregious violators.

Unlike Internet proxy services already available, uProxy does not make its users completely anonymous; instead, the user in a free country simply allows the oppressed user to experience the internet using his or her online identity and IP address. Conversely, Western users could see the “halal internet” through the browser of their Iranian friends if they want to see what the Web is like from behind the censorship firewall.

UProxy was developed by the University of Washington and the nonprofit Brave New Software with the help of seed money from Google Ideas.

Alongside the uProxy rollout, Google is also expanding a program to protect websites of free-speech groups from being taken down by distributed denial of service or DDOS attacks, which is when one server or website is inundated with attacks until it can no longer function. Called Project Shield, the program brings websites under the umbrella of Google’s protection so that they can withstand even the most severe DDOS attacks without being forced to shut down.

Over the last year, Project Shield has been successfully used by a number of trusted testers, including Balatarin, a Persian-language social and political blog, and Aymta, a website providing early-warning of scud missiles to people in Syria. Shield was also used to protect the election monitoring service in Kenya, allowing the group to keep its site active through an entire election cycle for the first time. Now, Google is inviting all websites focused on independent news, human rights, and elections-related content to apply to join.

“Project Shield is really extending our investment in infrastructure and protecting ourselves against DDOS attacks to the websites that protect free speech,” said Green.

Finally, to show where cyber attacks are coming from, Google is also unveiling what it calls the Digital Attack Map, which shows real time graphical data about where large-scale attacks are occurring and allows users to compare that data to what they are seeing happening in the world outside of the Internet.

“We’re saying here’s where the attacks are coming from, here’s where they are targeting, and here’s what’s going on in the news today,” said Cohen.

The conference and the new product announcements are all part of the evolution of Google and its internal “think/do tank” toward a more active role in protecting both users’ rights and abilities on the internet. Past Google Ideas ventures have included a program to warn Gmail users who are targets of state-sponsored cyber attacks and a tool to track the defections of Syrian officials.
“We focus on a particular category of user that is having the most difficult time,” said Cohen. “These are the users in places like Iran, Syria, North Korea, and Cuba. If free expression is an important value to us as a company, we need to put our products where our mouth is.”

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

A brigade of former rebels in the Libyan city of Benghazi has detained several people they say carried out recent car bombings in the city.

Most of those held are foreigners, including several from Chad.

But a military source told the BBC that the brigade had no official authority, and had made the arrests in an effort to show that it could provide security.

Benghazi has seen frequent bombings and assassinations since Muammar Gaddafi was toppled in an uprising in 2011.

Libya is due to mark the second anniversary of the former leader's fall on Wednesday.

'Propaganda'
The arrests were made on Monday by the Martyrs' brigade of Libya, said Abdullah al-Zaidi of the Benghazi Joint Operations Room - a security force set up jointly by the ministries of defence and interior.

The brigade is essentially a militia made up of former rebels against Gaddafi's rule, the BBC's Rana Jawad reports from the capital, Tripoli.

Mr Zaidi said those held were part of a network and that they had confessed to at least 15 car bombings in the eastern city.

A local TV station showed three people reported to be from neighbouring Chad standing against a wall following their detention. They were said to be mercenaries recruited by Gaddafi supporters.

Mr Zaidi has given conflicting accounts on the number of people arrested and their nationalities in the past 24 hours.

The Libyan military source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, called the arrests a "theatrical act".

"These armed groups are trying to show that... they can replace the army," he said. "They sacrificed migrant workers for their propaganda.

"Most of the perpetrators of these attacks are known to us and by the people, but the officials don't want to say... There is a fear of announcing who is behind all this."

No-one has yet said they carried out the recent attacks in Benghazi. On average, there has been one attack every week.

On social media, some Libyans suggested that the arrests might be a cover up for local groups, including hardline Islamists who are widely suspected of being responsible for much of the violence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24628192

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
So a few days after one of the SAA's top generals was killed, Jameh Jameh, the rebels lost one of the first generals to defect to their side during the war, Yaser Abboud.

As of today, the rebels also rejected the Geneva II conference talks based on the precondition of Assad leaving office before then. Based on Assad's stated desire to cling onto the presidency, doesn't seem like any negotiations will happen for years now.

It's sad to think that this all started a little over two and half years ago, we're still no closer to even the barest ceasefire on the table.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Saudi Arabia is making noises about moving away from the US politically. They are apparently unhappy that we didn't bomb Syria, are engaging Iran, and are ignoring the Palestinians. I don't know if this will end up meaning anything, but this seems a continuation of their rejection of the UN Security Council seat last week.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You know if we piss off the Saudies and the Israeies with the same not-bombing-people action I think that literally means it objectively a good action.

Edit: My grammar and spelling is atrochous today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Saudi Arabia is making noises about moving away from the US politically. They are apparently unhappy that we didn't bomb Syria, are engaging Iran, and are ignoring the Palestinians. I don't know if this will end up meaning anything, but this seems a continuation of their rejection of the UN Security Council seat last week.

I doubt the US would be bothered, they keep pretending that they don't know Saudi Arabia is Al Qaeda: The Country. The vast majority of the funding that Jihadis are receiving comes from Saudi Arabia.

• Locked thread