Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I feel really bad for my SAMBO coach. He lived through the fall of the Soviet Union only to come to the US to live through the fall of another country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

LMAO the Russian crew that went to the ISS came in contact with the roni

Roni.

In.

SPAAAAAAAAAACE

how many ventilators do they have on the ISS? can a person whose lungs are at 50% capacity survive reentry and landing? tormp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Phi230 posted:

We're at the point where compromise is impossible, and at least the right is beginning to make the argument that the constitution doesn't matter (remember that Op-ed from that chud law professor?) since they have achieved full power now.

however we're gonna make the 30YW look like sunshine and rainbows

I've been reading the Pennsylvania subreddit because it's got all the middle-state chuds and they're openly talking there about how they want to "give philadelphia to NJ and Pittsburgh to Ohio"

lol great idea

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Charun posted:

oshit, I think I just realized - chud states are just opening up to be able to evict people, aren't they?

chud states never had rent deferral to begin with

but your broader point, that chud states are opening up to screw working and poor people in order to help the wealthy, is sound

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I want my Trump Bux so what's the easiest way to do my taxes online without getting ripped off?

FreeTaxUSA, been using them for 3 years. I have stock sales I have to account for too, and with a discount they were running it cost me $13 to file, another $7 to mail my stock summary to the IRS. That's about how much I pay every year through them. Got my refunds both state and federal the next week.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL America

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I liked that show im sad fox had to kill it for no reason like it does to everything. Making history was good too.

lol the last episode or two of Making History were loving bonkers. it was obvious they all knew they weren't getting renewed and had fun with it.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

I posted this in the Balkanization thread but its highly relevant here

I keep thinking about a passage from Europe's Tragedy about the prevailing attitudes leading up to the 30 Years War, about how the system of the HRE of having a political minority and political majority both being unsatisfied with the current system but holding on because there's faith in future success for either. But when that faith of future gains breaks down, that's all there was to hold the system together.

Let me see if I can find the exact passage

"The modern democratic state assumes responsibility for implementing decisions once they have been taken by majority vote. The dissenting minority now confront the full power of the state, and if they choose to resist, the situation can descend into violence as there is no legal basis for their failure to comply. . . . The minority continued to confront the majority . . . it was as if the process of decision-making was not yet complete and the majority view remained provisional until accepted by the minority. This situation was clearly problematic, as the dissenters could still hope to reverse unwelcome decisions completely, while the majority could grow frustrated if their opinion remained ignored. Constant postponement of controversial issues might render definitive arrangements impossible. . . . the chances of violence were greatly reduced as long as a compromise remained possible. . . while the Empire's inhabitants fought over the interpretation of the imperial constituion, they did not dispute its existence and it provided the framework within which they eventually made their peace"

Sound familiar?

We're at the point where compromise is impossible, and at least the right is beginning to make the argument that the constitution doesn't matter (remember that Op-ed from that chud law professor?) since they have achieved full power now.

lol social media exacerbates this, look at the genocide in myanmar or the stuff that happens against muslims in india, etc, etc.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Sir Tonk posted:

are they the same that earn crosses?

I understand some also burn crosses.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

bhahahahahahahahahahahaha

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

It's clear and blatant terrorism but they aren't gonna even get arrested.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Phi230 posted:

look we all like to have a little fun here now and again but jesus loving christ

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

It's clear and blatant terrorism but they aren't gonna even get arrested.

yeah this, 20 years ago this wouldve led to them getting shot even by the chud cops

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Our curse, the curse of the left, will be sitting on the sidelines and observing hell while understanding and predicting everything thats happening, just being totally powerless about any of it

goon meetup political asylum Havana 2021

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Often Abbreviated posted:

look we all like to have a little fun here now and again but jesus loving christ

Imagine the Syrian Civil War on the scale of a continent and you're beginning to understand what is coming, if things don't change

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Phi230 posted:

Our curse, the curse of the left, will be sitting on the sidelines and observing hell while understanding and predicting everything thats happening, just being totally powerless about any of it

the american "left" is just as controlled as the right, the impotence is intentional

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Often Abbreviated posted:

30 Years War, but with nukes this time

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Imagine the Syrian Civil War on the scale of a continent and you're beginning to understand what is coming, if things don't change

a civil war requires organized opposition, the nazis didnt take over in a "weimar civil war"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

a civil war requires organized opposition, the nazis didnt take over in a "weimar civil war"

Lol I'm arguing the us is gonna shatter into generalized violence until some organizations form to pick up the pieces in the ensuing vacuum, ala Syria, not that some American Hitler is coming and will be invited in as dictator by congress

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Phi230 posted:

goon meetup political asylum Havana 2021

the militia movement's been preparing for this sort of confrontation for 30-40 years (although a lot of that was ineffectual, or just a fig leaf for organized crime), but what are they actually going to accomplish with this show of force?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Phi230 posted:

Lol I'm arguing the us is gonna shatter into generalized violence until some organizations form to pick up the pieces in the ensuing vacuum, ala Syria, not that some American Hitler is coming and will be invited in as dictator by congress

haha no way that would ever happen

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

but we have a ton of really strong far-right organizations waiting to sweep in and be welcomed by the chuds left in govt after one of these guys opens fire in a legislature

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
here's my take on the whole "schooling kids under COVID-19" thing in america

instead of giving away hundreds of billions of dollars to grifters hawking nonexistent medical supplies

we spend hundreds of billions on designing a properly-distanced school system. small classes, universal testing, proper online learning software, whatever it takes

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

chud states never had rent deferral to begin with

but your broader point, that chud states are opening up to screw working and poor people in order to help the wealthy, is sound

correct me if I'm wrong, no rent deferral, but also no (legal) evictions either, even in the chud states. right?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

explain to me why we cant have universal healthcare again? :thunk:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

but we have a ton of really strong far-right organizations waiting to sweep in and be welcomed by the chuds left in govt after one of these guys opens fire in a legislature

I guess we'll have to wait and see

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

the militia movement's been preparing for this sort of confrontation for 30-40 years (although a lot of that was ineffectual, or just a fig leaf for organized crime), but what are they actually going to accomplish with this show of force?

modern violent ideology is inchoate by design. they don't need a clear goal, you just need to get the temperature high enough for bubbles to start rising.

Notorious R.I.M. has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Apr 30, 2020

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

The Empress Corona no longer earthbound. No mere bauble of a water planet is enough for her ambitions. She boldly sets forth eyes to the stars. First step taken in an eventual conquest of a universe.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

killing people and doing actual terrorism i guess

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Egg Moron posted:

yeah, really school, especially early childhood education is about incentivizing kids into adopting appropriate and healthy social skills. that is very doable at home. Pay attention to your kids, ask them open ended questions, provoke them into thinking about things, teach them how to have conversations

if you're just handing your kid your phone or distracting them with boxes of light and sound to dazzle their senses, you are teaching them that no one gives a gently caress and you are going to end up with maladjusted monsters

cool; well, i have to work and my boss tracks my mouse movement as well as actions over time and can see if i bunch it up instead of steadily working so wha'ts your suggestion for how to make my 4 year old a creative person when im trying to pay the mortgage

and frankly i bet a ton of people have it much worse than i do

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

how many ventilators do they have on the ISS? can a person whose lungs are at 50% capacity survive reentry and landing? tormp

drat, if only this had happened after spacex was operating ISS flights, they would have had all the ventilators cpaps they could handle

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

shovelbum posted:

they have the only republican governor who isnt a total drooling moron death cultist i think so shes probably gonna be waiting lmao

MA has a republican governor that has shut the state down too

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mad Wack posted:

MA has a republican governor that has shut the state down too

oh yeah, why do they have those anyway i dont think of MA as right wing but i also dk about it i guess

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
New Jersey numbers on worldometer just came in at +458 today god drat

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bernie Panders posted:

have we considered that some people that want the country reopened might be doing so because they need money to live and no more money is coming from the government

yes but that’s not why the USA is reopening

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

modern violent ideology is inchoate by design. they don't need a clear goal, you just need to get the temperature high enough for bubbles to start riding.

Yeah the far-right thesis since Turner Diaries and Siege is to just do acts of terror to invite a government response that will radicalize moderates to fascism

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

New Jersey numbers on worldometer just came in at +458 today god drat

cases or deaths

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

everyone is ignoring stay at home, masks etc and the police arent doing poo poo. Pretty loving bad.

:peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

euphronius posted:

cases or deaths

deaths