Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

theultimo posted:

so steam workshop is going to turn into the Android market.

They'd probably like that, but the workshop is the last place you get mods for Skyrim. You go elsewhere first because the workshop itself is a big obtuse lumbering mess of developed-a-decade-ago software design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
I'd actually entertained the idea of trying Skyrim with mods (and the Workshop) as I haven't played it since shortly after it released. Guess I'll do something else instead!

loving lol

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I am not against paying for mods.

I am against bullshit like free stuff "updated" just for money reasons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

Somebody at Mojang is having one of those cartoon seizures with the dollar signs in his eyes, though.

Mojang didn't start that, it was the modding community itself evolving that way.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

bonds0097 posted:

What exactly is the problem with paid mods aside from "I don't want to pay for things I want to use"? I mean, just don't buy the mods.

It's just kind of a value proposition problem for me. I already get nickel-and-dimed by actual content-owners for software that barely works even before mods (like Skyrim). Now I'm also going to get nickel-and-dimed by people who aren't even theoretically obligated to do any form of QA whatsoever to get a bunch of (previously free) stuff whose functionality, especially when combined with other mods, is even more tenuous.

Basically, the idea of having a weirdo game with like 60 mods installed is a lot less palatable when those mods are each $3.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Well on the upside my item inventory now finally no longer has tabs that say Dota 2 (0), Battleblock Theatre (0), etc. A very minor improvement, but hey I'm trying to find the silver lining here.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Kanfy posted:

Looks like NecroDancer's full version was released, judging from my 1.2 GB download. If you don't own that game soon, your life has gone horribly wrong somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkOnC-dJ1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6paOj0agDI

I've had my eye on this one for a while, but I have never really played Rogue-likes or Rhythm games before. I'm not sure I'd be that good at it.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Haha, of course is the GateGate star Arthmoor participating in this, of course.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Look on the bright side, maybe this means well get modders that will make professional quality mods worth pay-ahahahahah i cant even finish this poo poo

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Hogo Fogo posted:

Haha, of course is the GateGate star Arthmoor participating in this, of course.

They knew!

:tinfoil:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Introducing a paywall into the modding scene on the biggest digital PC platform is going to have a huge impact on the modder mentality and change a scene that some people were really into as consumers, it's not that hard to understand. Like, if you were a guy who played hundreds of hours of Skyrim thanks to a huge selection of mods then of course this is a big deal for you when the next Bethesda game comes along and every sword/gun has a price tag.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

bonds0097 posted:

What exactly is the problem with paid mods aside from "I don't want to pay for things I want to use"? I mean, just don't buy the mods.

1) It's a gigantic legal lightning rod. And also Valve's support is notoriously terrible and understaffed to begin with. Think about how big of a clusterfuck Youtube is in regards to this and then think about how Valve's attempt to handle something like that will be.

2) Modders are almost universally horrible shitbags and anything that encourages them to be bigger shitbags is bound to be terrible/hilarious. (This could be a plus or minus depending on your perspective)

3) Game companies now making profits directly off other people fixing poo poo for them, which is about the scummiest thing I can possibly imagine.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda had a big hand in pushing this idea forward.

They've always seemed the type (remember most of the Oblivion dlc.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

FFIX isn't though :argh:.

And it never will be. We all know what happens when SE tries to develop their own emulators :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

So what's Bethesda's/Valve's cut on every purchase anyway? I haven't seen it mentioned and don't know which EULA to read.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

So what's next? Coupons for mods?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Palpek posted:

So what's Bethesda's/Valve's cut on every purchase anyway? I haven't seen it mentioned and don't know which EULA to read.

Modder gets 25%, I'm not sure what the ratio is between Valve and Bethesda for the other 75%.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Work has value and if someone wants compensation for the work they do it's fine, this is way better than the long slimey con of free spec work Valve has gotten away with for TF2 for years

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

nekoxid posted:

Turn gems from trading cards from playing a game into its mods.

My brain isn't even going to try to process how dumb that is, I just put the words down in the correct order.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Logan 5 posted:

Well on the upside my item inventory now finally no longer has tabs that say Dota 2 (0), Battleblock Theatre (0), etc. A very minor improvement, but hey I'm trying to find the silver lining here.

I got all excited and checked my inventory but I've still got all the tabs :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Game companies now making profits directly off other people fixing poo poo for them, which is about the scummiest thing I can possibly imagine.
If someone makes a mod that fixes something and charges for it, what's to stop someone from making their own free fix? Trying to charge for a fan-patch is a losing battle, even if it's legal.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

deadly_pudding posted:

Modder gets 25%, I'm not sure what the ratio is between Valve and Bethesda for the other 75%.

this is the best part

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Can someone explain what Gategate is, because google says its something about a scandal in the UK or people complaining about the english language and I'm lazy

nekoxid posted:

Yes?

None of this stuff is actually all that new, I was under the impression tf2 and dota2 rewarded modders or whatever in some way

its just extending out the glorious monetization bubble.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Hahaha 75% cut for Valve/publisher is amazing, like drat.

KoB
May 1, 2009
People are going to get all huffy about paid mods just like DLC/preorders and in the end will buy it up like hotcakes as usual.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
There's even mod BUNDLES now
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429226887

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, it's just an end of an era, like the death of shareware scene. :gaben:, you made it happen in the end.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Can someone explain what Gategate is, because google says its something about a scandal in the UK or people complaining about the english language and I'm lazy
Yes?

Guy made a mod that was really good and highly recommended, later he added in Oblivion Gates (Gategate) all over the place. People began sharing the old mod without the gates and he threw a hissyfit all over Nexus, Nexus backed him up and bans people who discuss it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Palpek posted:

Introducing a paywall into the modding scene on the biggest digital PC platform is going to have a huge impact on the modder mentality and change a scene that some people were really into as consumers, it's not that hard to understand. Like, if you were a guy who played hundreds of hours of Skyrim thanks to a huge selection of mods then of course this is a big deal for you when the next Bethesda game comes along and every sword/gun has a price tag.

Mods were already on their way out thanks to publishers doing their best to make it as inconvenient as possible to mod games, so this is just another step towards killing off the mod scene. :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Palpek posted:

Hahaha 75% cut for Valve/publisher is amazing, like drat.
That's kind of more slimy I guess, not as slimy as TF2 though

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Quest For Glory II posted:

Work has value and if someone wants compensation for the work they do it's fine, this is way better than the long slimey con of free spec work Valve has gotten away with for TF2 for years

If people want to be compensated for their work maybe they shouldn't be working with other people's intellectual property under an agreement that renders them incapable of actually owning the things they create.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

What's the betting that one of these mods conflicts with another one in the bundle?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

Yes?
The TL;DR version is that someone made a useful city mod for Skyrim, but slapped big ugly Oblivion gates in all the cities and refused to make a version without them. He then pitched a fit when people made mods for his mod that removed them and got them banned from the Nexus.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lmao I don't use mods all that much but this is loving terrible. Cities: Skylines is one of the games that I have mods for but I'll be hosed if I'm giving any of these people another penny. I paid for the game already and this isn't DLC from the developers - it's a map you shat out by using a free website to get topography and imported using the game's own tools. It took you literally 5 minutes to do and you want to charge people for it?

I live in Seattle and I have half a mind to bus over to Bellevue and take a poo poo right on Valve's doorstep and put a little sign that says "Mod - $0.99"

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Here's a longer explanation for Gategate I found on Google, for anyone curious:

http://pastebin.com/LMzCCTcs

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Mods were already on their way out thanks to publishers doing their best to make it as inconvenient as possible to mod games, so this is just another step towards killing off the mod scene. :(

Maybe mod support in games will increase now that publishers can make money by letting their customers make the content for them.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Necrodancer looks cool but I can't pay 0% off $15 for an indie pixel game with rougelike elements. I just can't.

Price of all individual items: $38.11
Discount for buying as bundle: -25%
Here's what you save by buying this bundle: $9.43

wow

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

KoB posted:

Guy made a mod that was really good and highly recommended, later he added in Oblivion Gates (Gategate) all over the place. People began sharing the old mod without the gates and he threw a hissyfit all over Nexus, Nexus backed him up and bans people who discuss it.
It's better than that: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514513&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post409063738

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm looking forward to all the shitstorms related to people 'stealing' paid mods and putting them up for free on the workshop.

Because Steam doesn't even have the staff to support their own games or service, how they hell are they going to manage billions of complaints about 'stolen' content from modders?

Don't worry, every person who wants to sell a mod on steam has to provide banking information that has to be personally approved by a Valve Admin(process can take up to a week....yeah SURE!). Payments are done through a third party, and the sellers also have to do third party tax interviews. It's all fun.

Oh the 75% Valve/Publisher cut is set by the Publisher, that means that every Workshop can have a different cut for the creators.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

yeah, when I think of things that kill scenes, it's the ability for people who couldn't make money to now make money

Sleeveless posted:

If people want to be compensated for their work maybe they shouldn't be working with other people's intellectual property under an agreement that renders them incapable of actually owning the things they create.
I mean this gives them the ability to be compensated even if it is a horrifyingly bad cut, so I dunno what this argument is about

• Locked thread