Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

sullat posted:

Is that a war widow? Because I think he only goes after them.

t.boone:west texas::trump:nyc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It uh, was against a widow.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

then gently caress you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
But seriously congrats!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It uh, was against a widow.

Congrats! Widows can get up to pretty shady stuff.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Our last three commissioners' courts have literally split the figures down the middle. You wouldn't think they'd need to deliberate for three hours to do some simple arithmetic.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Free cupcakes and pizza today at the agency :hellyeah:
I can totally see why people I'm on this project with having been doing doc review for 8 straight years and counting (no, I actually can't, it's insane and a bunch of them are intentionally not getting health insurance next year due to the cost of it + 29/hr not cutting it wagewise)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Our last three commissioners' courts have literally split the figures down the middle. You wouldn't think they'd need to deliberate for three hours to do some simple arithmetic.

Yeah those frustrate me since someone is just going to object there. But this is a final judgment so I'm pretty pleased.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I got a really lovely congrats email from my journal editor because I used her as a reference for a temp doc review job. Come to the UK, at 29/hr you'll be like Daddy Warbucks.

Think junior crime pay is somewhere around 3/hr here.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Finally won a jury trial. (Collin county no less, scraps and Roger).

Took 5 years to get a win.

Congrats man/woman! Btw, who the hell are you? Scraps claims not to know you as well.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Congrats man/woman! Btw, who the hell are you? Scraps claims not to know you as well.

Hot Dog Day #91 is a debonair 15 year old prodigy who drops sick negs on widows to get them back to his tastefully appointed condo to bake cookies for him, and I'll sue the genitalia off of anyone who says otherwise.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

joat mon posted:

Hot Dog Day #91 is a debonair 15 year old prodigy who drops sick negs on widows to get them back to his tastefully appointed condo to bake cookies for him, and I'll sue the genitalia off of anyone who says otherwise.

I think Scraps does know him/her and they have parties and wear silly hats and make fun of me.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I think Scraps does know him/her and they have parties and wear silly hats and make fun of me.

You make fun of yourself young lady.

We should do a Dallas luncheon.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I can totally see why people I'm on this project with having been doing doc review for 8 straight years and counting (no, I actually can't, it's insane and a bunch of them are intentionally not getting health insurance next year due to the cost of it + 29/hr not cutting it wagewise)

Is it not 40 hrs/week? 40 hours and 50 weeks (assuming 2 weeks unpaid vacation) at that rate is 58k a year. Or is this a "health care is hella expensive" problem?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

CaptainScraps posted:

You make fun of yourself young lady.

We should do a Dallas luncheon.

mastershakeman posted:

Hey - gently caress these guys, we should do a Chicago luncheon. I've got a kid a few months older than yours so we can reminisce on what sleep used to feel like.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Today I had the following conversation with a supervisor:

"Anyway in conclusion, after reviewing the file I believe that he committed the elements of the offense, and the police can prove it."

Supervisor: "I disagree"

"Okay, well you realise that you have a photocopy of a signed 'admission of guilt' form and correspondence with the prosecution to that effect in the file, right?"

Supervisor: "...

gently caress."

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Millennial posted:

Hey, I'm an Australian lawyer who has worked in politics and remains politically connected.

I'm going to say don't get admitted. If you don't want to practise law ever, get admitted if you really want AFTER the election. But know that it's not going to matter. And if you DO want to practise law at some point, get admitted THEN. Getting admitted and then not practising for years on end means you are basically closing that door prematurely. It's hard enough getting your first job as a solicitor and if you get admitted now and then end up wanting to practise law in 5-10 years you will be a lot less employable.

I've known people who have done the law degree, had various careers then ended up doing PLT 10 years later. I reckon that's the way to go. Your law degree doesn't go stale.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

They do now. I don't know how the cut off works applying to Whitlam, but she'll at best have extra hoops to jump through and at worst have to redo the ruddy thing.

Thanks guys, especially Millennial. My understanding is that PLT has a three year limit - if you don't do it within three years of graduating, you have to retake some subjects (I'd assume it's the Priestly but I don't know for sure). Choices, choices.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Here's the thing, without a practicing certificate (depending on the state) all you get to do "as a lawyer" is have a stamp and witness documents. :thumbsup:

If you don't intend on actually being a lawyer, who cares?

I'm really strongly certain that you can do PLT after you've done a degree, like five years previously. It may have to be through like College of Law or something but you can do it.

But I'm mainly puzzled why you'd want to do it if you don't want to be a lawyer. Like, doing a law degree as a "I'm smart" card is great and I get that, that's why I went to lawschool. But PLT is the entry to actually being a working lawyer and if that's not what you want to do, don't do it.

FWIW placement was the best 6 weeks of my entire degree because I did it at a cool place but some people found it hell (Welcome to biglaw, suckers!)

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
In many ways I don't want to do it, but I'm also aware that there are pros and cons on either side, which is why I was looking for advice in case there was anything I'd overlooked or not considered. I figured people in here would know more than me since none of my relatives are lawyers so I don't really have anyone in real life to ask, and uni and PLT providers aren't going to give unbiased advice because they both want to push everyone into doing PLT (PLT providers for obvious reasons, my uni because of graduation rates and stats. I'm in the first year of intake and they want everyone to join biglaw so that their course looks good).

At this point I'm mostly leaning towards "it probably isn't worth it", but I wanted to get some more informed opinions, even if only to make sure my reasons for not doing it were valid, and not just weak justifications and rationalisations for being lazy. I mean I've still got like a year to decide, so it isnt a huge urgent decision to make, but the main reason for doing it would be a "keeping options open just in case" kind of thing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Dagda posted:

Is it not 40 hrs/week? 40 hours and 50 weeks (assuming 2 weeks unpaid vacation) at that rate is 58k a year. Or is this a "health care is hella expensive" problem?

It's more of a health care expensive problem. Heck, if I'm optimistic about making money this year health care will be $1k/mo premium to go along with that 14k deductible for a family of 3. Fun times.

And yeah, chicago goons should do a luncheon, there's a bunch of us here. Too bad we all froze to death today

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

It's more of a health care expensive problem. Heck, if I'm optimistic about making money this year health care will be $1k/mo premium to go along with that 14k deductible for a family of 3. Fun times.

And yeah, chicago goons should do a luncheon, there's a bunch of us here. Too bad we all froze to death today

Your wife doesn't get coverage through her job?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vox Nihili posted:

Your wife doesn't get coverage through her job?

well yes but she got fired and cobra is about as expensive per month before possible subsidies, and I think it expires after six months anyways which screws with deductibles. So we're hanging on until she gets in a mindset to job-hunt again. So right now im underestimating income significantly to get good subsidies - if we make a bunch of monet we pay it back, if not we don't, but everyone's afloat for the time being

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

well yes but she got fired and cobra is about as expensive per month before possible subsidies, and I think it expires after six months anyways which screws with deductibles. So we're hanging on until she gets in a mindset to job-hunt again. So right now im underestimating income significantly to get good subsidies - if we make a bunch of monet we pay it back, if not we don't, but everyone's afloat for the time being

Good news, though. At least you won't be required to buy decent health insurance in 2018.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sullat posted:

Good news, though. At least you won't be required to buy decent health insurance in 2018.

everyone has to die someday, might as well be as soon as possible

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just reiterating that MSM had the worst job in this thread, and now it seems the worst life.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Sucks, man. Yeah, COBRA is a six-month deal, and often a poor one at that. Hope she's at least pulling in some unemployment $ to help cover all that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just reiterating that MSM had the worst job in this thread, and now it seems the worst life.

the fun part is I was too embarrassed to post in this thread for the four years after law school when I couldn't even find a salaried job.

times aren't all bad though, I have a cute baby that chews on my bloodborne disc (which worked after soap and water got all the slobber off)

it's kind of sad though that I see people doing doc review that I recognise from five years ago. there's 150+ people in Chicago on this project and another 500 elsewhere. that's a lot of lawyers who are just scraping by

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

the fun part is I was too embarrassed to post in this thread for the four years after law school when I couldn't even find a salaried job.

times aren't all bad though, I have a cute baby that chews on my bloodborne disc (which worked after soap and water got all the slobber off)

it's kind of sad though that I see people doing doc review that I recognise from five years ago. there's 150+ people in Chicago on this project and another 500 elsewhere. that's a lot of lawyers who are just scraping by

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be happy to even have that. I know one guy from law school who failed the bar at least twice, probably three times. He works in admissions at the school now (which admittedly might be a relatively good job, but it's definitely not what he hoped to do). Blind leading the blind, etc.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

mastershakeman posted:

I mowed lawns and shoveled snow after law school to pay the rent. Had to move literally halfway around the world to find a job.

My parents tell me about their good friend who is an attorney who can't sell his practice and is going bankrupt. Then ask me why we won't move back stateside. To a state that has obliterated state government jobs and the benefits of any remaining jobs, which is all I'd be good for initially with no network. I fight the urge to tell them that it's their fault for supporting and electing a governor who is more crooked than his eyes, which are p drat lopsided like Sloth and Shannen Doherty had a kid and that kid had surgery that went bad.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I don't remember if I shared this story here.

I have a cousin who just graduated from a T20 school. I'm the only lawyer in the family, and actually the only other person to graduate college even. I warned her against law school, but hey, we all went. She did well in her regional state school undergrad, so super special snow flake who will do great in law school of course.

The predictable happened. Middling to poor grades, no extra curriculars, no journals, no jobs. Been licensed about 3 months now, finally got her first interview and job offer.

30k working for a solo who has 5 support staff running his bankruptcy mill. She called me to ask if she should take it because she doesn't want to sell herself short.

I literally shared stories with her from this thread to tell her yes she must take it.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I did divorce work at Legal Aid, initially for nothing, then for $35,500 a year. I am the worst possible lawyer to have for emotionally charged litigation. The agency ran out of money and started saving money by getting rid of the guy who was the most miserable (me). Thanks to Abugadu, I’m now working a job that isn’t so bad, but it’s in a place I don’t want to be any more. I missed two family funerals this year and I have a niece I’ve never met. It’s getting to be time to move back.

On the other hand, one of my coworkers is getting married tomorrow. His wife-to-be is a former runway model who used to host a lifestyle show in the Philippines. Go to law school, get a job in the tropics, marry a minor celebrity. (results not typical)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yea prior to getting doc review jobs (which were hard to get back in 08-09) I worked some weird temp agency jobs and then a bunch for the us census recruiting people in my neighborhood at the time - Cabrini green. sure was interesting at least

It's sad to realize the 30-35k jobs are typical at this point. I can't imagine a t20 person ending up with that but then again my buddy who went to Penn has been doing doc review for 7 years now (got laid off from big law in 09). Maybe someday we will get a devry style settlement against all the schools (haha no we won't not ever)

Its also tough to predict trump too - he gave speeches about a pretty forgiving loan forgiveness plan. then appointed someone who thinks everyone can work their way through college with no debt. the future is a mystery (to be fair that's true of all trump things except like two issues)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I like state government work a lot. But I'm 5 years out now. If PSLF goes away, about 1/3 of the lawyers in my office would run to the private sector. Probably me too. I need that carrot to keep me here 5 more years.

My only hope is that they'll keep the 10 year pslf for anyone already in it and making payments. Otherwise, i couldn't afford to keep working for the state.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I like state government work a lot. But I'm 5 years out now. If PSLF goes away, about 1/3 of the lawyers in my office would run to the private sector. Probably me too. I need that carrot to keep me here 5 more years.

My only hope is that they'll keep the 10 year pslf for anyone already in it and making payments. Otherwise, i couldn't afford to keep working for the state.

I get the feeling it's very state dependent. Other than the t14 (t3?) guys not many people even have a choice between govt work and better paying big law.

Without getting into personal situations., the whole pslf stuff is going to be bananas. Isn't someone in this very thread convinced that the govt won't even process the papers correctly, like with HAMP? And that doesn't even get into people who never consolidated their fixed rate Staffords into the ffel program to make them eligible for forgiveness. Next fall should be the first wave of this i believe and is going to be a wild ride.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My grandfather paid for my law school but now that I'm approaching ten years for the government, I'm really regretting not maxing out my loans

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

My grandfather paid for my law school but now that I'm approaching ten years for the government, I'm really regretting not maxing out my loans

I maxed my loans and made law school a fun time and I'll never regret that even though I regret going because I could have gotten my current admin law position without it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Is SlyFrog still alive?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nevvy Z posted:

I maxed my loans and made law school a fun time and I'll never regret that even though I regret going because I could have gotten my current admin law position without it.

I could have gotten my current job without it too :laugh:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Nevvy Z posted:

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

30k working for a solo who has 5 support staff running his bankruptcy mill. She called me to ask if she should take it because she doesn't want to sell herself short.

I think I know who you are talking about. Tell her to run!