Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phi230 posted:

Wait how small? Do I know you?

Oh if you went to FSU in 2013, from creeping on your forum posts, you probably know my girlfriend's sister. Whoa.

Also to think we were in the same town at the same time, spooky

Hopefully transferring to FSU law if I didn't gently caress my grades, their graduation was real cool, they gave free champagne and cheese afterwards

If you go to bullwinkles you've eaten my tacos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you go to bullwinkles you've eaten my tacos.

Tbh I don't go to bulls to eat the tacos

if I'm going anywhere near Tennessee St. to go out its to get sloppy at the strip

When I was a Freshman, I went to Ken's and saw a girl throw up in her hand and put it in her pocket

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phi230 posted:

Tbh I don't go to bulls to eat the tacos

if I'm going anywhere near Tennessee St. to go out its to get sloppy at the strip

When I was a Freshman, I went to Ken's and saw a girl throw up in her hand and put it in her pocket

white trash wednesday is a thing of wonder.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

white trash wednesday is a thing of wonder.

I only own one pair of cut off jorts and flannel and you know why

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Excuse me this thread is only for lawyers inTexas, adjacent States, and anyone living on terrible islands in the Pacific or Atlantic oceans.

Sorry all you svalbard posters.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Excuse me this thread is only for lawyers inTexas, adjacent States, and anyone living on terrible islands in the Pacific or Atlantic oceans.

Finally someone accepts me!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm from Texas. Does that count?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
No one cares about texas.
The island posters are cool though.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

nm posted:

The island posters are cool though.

Let me show you an island golf course. I got to play a round here for free this week because we had some visiting journalists from Japan and the Visitors Authority wanted a local resident to play golf with their beginner group.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

First chairing my first jury trial in two years on Monday. Been a while.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

echopapa posted:

Let me show you an island golf course. I got to play a round here for free this week because we had some visiting journalists from Japan and the Visitors Authority wanted a local resident to play golf with their beginner group.

I've never played a game of golf in my life. I've never swung a golfclub outside of a putter at minigolf.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

No one cares about texas.

Two fish swim by an older fish.
"How's the water boys?" asks the older fish.
After the older fish swims away, one turns to the other and says "What the hell is water?"

Texas is the water of the story.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Roger_Mudd posted:

Two fish swim by an older fish.
"How's the water boys?" asks the older fish.
After the older fish swims away, one turns to the other and says "What the hell is water?"

Texas is the water of the story.

Unlikely.
If water was texas, all the fish in it wouldn't shut up about being from water.
Texans and new yorkers are basically the same except one has edible bagels and othe edible tacos.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I love those New York tacos.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've never played a game of golf in my life. I've never swung a golfclub outside of a putter at minigolf.

Neither did I until I moved here, but lessons were so cheap ($15) that I figured it was worth learning.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
i, too, play mini golf at $15 a game

but it's still loving boring as piss

/golfhate

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

nm posted:

Unlikely.
If water was texas, all the fish in it wouldn't shut up about being from water.
Texans and new yorkers are basically the same except one has edible bagels and othe edible tacos.

As a Texan living in New York, I just wanted to say that I'm a Texan living in New York.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sorry gaminghyena, sucks that we got matched against each other despite being significantly better than all the other teams :argh:

I believe I will be flattening Cooley Crusaders next week unless Dallas does terribly tonight.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

evilweasel posted:

sorry gaminghyena, sucks that we got matched against each other despite being significantly better than all the other teams :argh:

I believe I will be flattening Cooley Crusaders next week unless Dallas does terribly tonight.

Well, Dallas did pretty terribly.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I need some advice, lawgoons. Next year will be my final year of law school. The short simplified version of the system here is that you do the law degree, then do either a clerkship (super competitive) or this course called PLT which takes about six months, after which you can apply to be admitted as a solicitor (for various reasons I'd do the PLT option rather than clerkship).

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth me doing the PLT and bothering getting recognised/licensed to practice as a solicitor or not. I currently have a job in politics, essentially running communications for the politician I work for, and I love the route I'm on with that.

Pros: keeping options open for the future in case I ever decide to practice law (not something I intend on doing at this point); it'd be nice to be able to say I'm a lawyer, even just as recognition that I made it through the course, which it didn't always look like I would; my parents have offered to pay, so money isn't a factor.

Cons: nobody in my current line of employment is going to care if I'm qualified to practice (they'll care that I have the degree, not if I can practice); if I did PLT, it'd be during an election year, so I'm not going to be swimming in spare time; I don't have any desire/intent to practice, so it feels a bit pointless and like I'd be doing it mainly for the sake of it.

I know that only I can decide for myself and whatever, but does anyone have any advice/input? Thanks goons.

tl;dr: will have a law degree, can't decide whether it's worth getting qualified as a lawyer when I don't want to practice.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Only you know what's best for you, as I'm sure you recognize. But I have to imagine being a licensed attorney is better for those working in politics. You may not want to run communications for this politician forever. In the US, a politically connected attorney can serve as counsel to legislative committees, agencies, political parties, etc.

You can run a comms shop with no credentials, but you can't advise people about law with out a license.

If you can complete it and keep your communications job, I'd do it. If you cannot do it well enough to complete it while working your current job, then you really need to access your abilities and pick one. Good luck.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Thanks for the advice, it's completely the sort of thing I was after. I guess it really strikes at the heart of it as well - I'm not going to be disadvantaged by having it, and the main advantage is that if you have it, you have more options. Well, unless they take it away from you, like they did my ethics lecturer who disappeared halfway through the semester when it transpired she'd been borrowing from clients' trusts and was disbarred.

Since this is the law school megathread as well - grades were released a few days ago and I've officially passed Constitutional and I'm so relieved. For someone who works in government I should probably care more about our Constitution but I just hate it and want it to go away forever. Although working in government, I'm sure my job would be easier if it just went away forever, so actually I'm not seeing a downside at this point, other than I already passed. Anyway mainly I just wanted to share my relief with people who'd get it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Can you wait till the election season is over to start this program? Would that keep you from spinning too many plates and give you time to consider your future career track?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

It sounds like you aren't in the US, so it's hard for us here to give you much advice. But I'd agree with other posters that if you can get licensed while working your current gig you should suck it up and do it. Also study harder than you did during law school so you actually pass. (I assume that's why clerkships aren't an option)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Is there a problem with doing the course after the election is over?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

evilweasel posted:

I think you play Capital City next. This is easily my worst fantasy team in recent memory but I Just Win Baby

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Scraps looks handsome in Court today. 😍

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
So does Mr. Mudd, who is making angry eyes at his ex-partner.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Arcturas posted:

It sounds like you aren't in the US, so it's hard for us here to give you much advice. But I'd agree with other posters that if you can get licensed while working your current gig you should suck it up and do it. Also study harder than you did during law school so you actually pass. (I assume that's why clerkships aren't an option)

I get why you'd assume that, but the main reasons I've ruled out a clerkship are that here, only 20% of people get them, so they're super competitive, and while I haven't failed any classes (credit/distinction average) I'm not top 20% of the state good (high distinction average). The main reason I've ruled it out is that clerkships are full time and go for about a year, so I'd definitely have to quit my job, which I like. Many (but not all) are also about who you know, and since I come from a family of teachers, the answer is "nobody". PLT is a lot faster and I could do it while keeping my job, and since 80% of lawyers do it, it isn't really seen as lesser or inferior.

To those asking why not delay until after the election: I could, and if I started and realised I really couldn't do both I would, but I work better keeping the momentum up. If I take a year off, it's way more likely that I just wouldn't bother and wouldn't come back to it. There is a time limit for PLT where if you don't do it within three years you have to repeat some subjects before they'll let you do it, so I'd be fine delaying for a year. Thanks again for the advice everyone, I do really appreciate it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is PLT like the bar, where you basically spend all your time studying? Or is it like a job, where you have to show up and someone holds you accountable? Basically I'm wondering if you can do both and drop out of PLT if you get overwhelmed at work and there's a risk of burning bridges and you need to focus on only one or the other.

Either way I do recommend doing both.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
If I were looking at a resume for someone who completed training and then didn't get whatever certification, it would be a red flag and maybe a decent discussion at the interview. You might as well do it.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

The form PLT takes depends to an extent on which of the three providers you do it with, but it's basically a combination of coursework and placement in a firm. It'd be a pain to do the placement but possible if I used my leave.

Here it isn't uncommon for people to do a law degree and not do the extra step to get qualified as a lawyer. Obviously most people get qualified, but I know a lot of people who work in government as advisors, HR, managerial roles etc. who have law degrees but aren't lawyers.

Millennial
Feb 5, 2006

Hey, I'm an Australian lawyer who has worked in politics and remains politically connected.

I'm going to say don't get admitted. If you don't want to practise law ever, get admitted if you really want AFTER the election. But know that it's not going to matter. And if you DO want to practise law at some point, get admitted THEN. Getting admitted and then not practising for years on end means you are basically closing that door prematurely. It's hard enough getting your first job as a solicitor and if you get admitted now and then end up wanting to practise law in 5-10 years you will be a lot less employable.

I've known people who have done the law degree, had various careers then ended up doing PLT 10 years later. I reckon that's the way to go. Your law degree doesn't go stale.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Millennial posted:

I've known people who have done the law degree, had various careers then ended up doing PLT 10 years later. I reckon that's the way to go. Your law degree doesn't go stale.

They do now. I don't know how the cut off works applying to Whitlam, but he'll at best have extra hoops to jump through and at worst have to redo the ruddy thing.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Finally won a jury trial. (Collin county no less, scraps and Roger).

Took 5 years to get a win.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Finally won a jury trial. (Collin county no less, scraps and Roger).

Took 5 years to get a win.

Congratulations! Unless it was for the government, then gently caress you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

blarzgh posted:

Congratulations! Unless it was for the government, then gently caress you.

If he's for the government and wins, that means the idiots who lost were very plainly in the wrong so it's a win for our nation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean the government wins sometimes in good ways like when they tell T. Boone Pickins to gently caress off.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It was for the government, but I'm saving your taxpayer dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean the government wins sometimes in good ways like when they tell T. Boone Pickins to gently caress off.

Is that a war widow? Because I think he only goes after them.