Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Warrior steel cyclones through the conversation five times, direct critting and overhealing enough health to make three more warriors.

Yeah I guess Paladin is hard to kill or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Warrior steel cyclones through the conversation five times, direct critting and overhealing enough health to make three more warriors.

Yeah I guess Paladin is hard to kill or whatever.

Warrior then gets hit with a tankbuster while in defiance with no mitigation and dies horribly. The other two warriors faff around trying to do their job and getting into aggro wars and die piecemeal because they can't decide who has the boss and confuse the healer's who try to heal both of them.

Me not on my Paladin: I should have been on my Paladin, this would never have happened.

Captain Cappy posted:

I don't do real content so I have no idea how it is in Savage. In scrub content like normal raids it feels fine as off-tank because you have a lot of things you can use to help mitigate having bad healers/dps but main tanking feels like garbo. Gear isn't really a problem, I was at 15k HP walking into a tank buster, but the moment I saw it coming and looked at all my cooldowns and went "yep, I have shelltron up and nothing else" felt bad.

Even with optimally spaced CD's that's going to happen on the more intense fights in normal. That's where Healer's gotta do their job description. Also some fights you'll want to stay in Shield Oath longer/swap Oath's more because otherwise you'll die to something you really shouldn't (O12N's Optimized Blade Dance has chunked many tanks who thought 'i'm out of cd's i'll just take it on the chin.')

Also 24 mans it can be preferential to stick in tank stance if you're mting the entire time because sometimes they do enough damage to warrant it/your healers aren't quite up to snuff.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I don't understand how Paladin is supposed to be tankier than WAR. Seems like WAR just does more damage, has more/better cooldowns except for Hallowed Ground, and have a better (?) Divine Veil on a shorter cooldown. Like I said I don't play it so maybe all these cooldowns at their disposal are huge DPS-losses so they're verboten or something. In conclusion, where can I apply to join the Paladin cabal so I can throw the shitfit like WARs did at the start of Stormblood for free buffs?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Captain Cappy posted:

I don't understand how Paladin is supposed to be tankier than WAR. Seems like WAR just does more damage, has more/better cooldowns except for Hallowed Ground, and have a better (?) Divine Veil on a shorter cooldown. Like I said I don't play it so maybe all these cooldowns at their disposal are huge DPS-losses so they're verboten or something. In conclusion, where can I apply to join the Paladin cabal so I can throw the shitfit like WARs did at the start of Stormblood for free buffs?

To my knowledge, being able to block damage due to having a shield is a big part of why PLD is more durable--this extends to Sheltron too, since that's an on-demand block.

It helps make up for having to waste a GCD to swap Oaths, at any rate...

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Warrior then gets hit with a tankbuster while in defiance with no mitigation and dies horribly. The other two warriors faff around trying to do their job and getting into aggro wars and die piecemeal because they can't decide who has the boss and confuse the healer's who try to heal both of them.

Me not on my Paladin: I should have been on my Paladin, this would never have happened.

Even with optimally spaced CD's that's going to happen on the more intense fights in normal. That's where Healer's gotta do their job description. Also some fights you'll want to stay in Shield Oath longer/swap Oath's more because otherwise you'll die to something you really shouldn't (O12N's Optimized Blade Dance has chunked many tanks who thought 'i'm out of cd's i'll just take it on the chin.')

Also 24 mans it can be preferential to stick in tank stance if you're mting the entire time because sometimes they do enough damage to warrant it/your healers aren't quite up to snuff.

Lol at a 24 man ever doing enough damage.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Hey, I was in LotA that skipped the second Ancient Flare somehow.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
They should really just make all tank stances ogcd. I'm bored with warrior and I'd be more willing to be a swords' man if I didn't have to burn a gcd every time I wanted to cut loose.

Maybe this is why nobody tanks.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

They should really just make all tank stances ogcd. I'm bored with warrior and I'd be more willing to be a swords' man if I didn't have to burn a gcd every time I wanted to cut loose.

Maybe this is why nobody tanks.

I thought nobody tanks because people quickly get tired of honest healers holding the whole party hostage to their desire to only use 1/2 of their buttons?

And party members that are DPS in theory but not in practice so the run takes three times as long as it needs to no matter what you do.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

To my knowledge, being able to block damage due to having a shield is a big part of why PLD is more durable--this extends to Sheltron too, since that's an on-demand block.

It helps make up for having to waste a GCD to swap Oaths, at any rate...
This is pretty much it.

Also War's give up a lot of their tankyness when they drop tank stance, since they don't get access to one of their main mitigation tools and have to rely on their CD's more. A PLD in sword oath still has their shield and access to Sheltron/Intervention (and in fact, has more access to it thanks to how sword oath fills your gauge.) Also while Shake it Off can be better than Divine Veil, War's have to blow other important CD's in order to actually make it better.
While Divine Veil you just pop it and then either clemency yourself or get healed and bam, it's good to go. You can even let it sit for a bit since the trigger buff lasts 30 seconds.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I will never forget the Dun Scaith run that timed out because the other tank (warrior) kept being one shot by Scathach's flurry of stabs tank buster during the second add drop. Every single time. (There was a third tank but he never wanted to tank and when he tried was even worse at it.)
'hey maybe you should use a cd or something'
'uh, if you're using cd's that's not working, maybe go tank stance for that? just until we kill the add?'
'are you even paying attention to chat?'
'stop dying to the exact same thing every time please'

This was after figuring out that I was the only one capable of actually handling the add's before they killed everyone with their melee :v:

Also I have never seen a 100% clean Construct 8 run. Someone always dies to the laser beams.

That sounds like 'enough damage' to me.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I am always tempted to roll an alt on Excal and just see how bad it really is first hand, but the latency would drive me insane.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also I have never seen a 100% clean Construct 8 run. Someone always dies to math.

TheHeadSage posted:

I am always tempted to roll an alt on Excal and just see how bad it really is first hand, but the latency would drive me insane.

it's not bad on average, but when it's bad... it's bad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i thought the ferdinand was going to be the gun for me but i think i found something that better suits my style

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kaubocks posted:

i thought the ferdinand was going to be the gun for me but i think i found something that better suits my style

Yes. Yes it does.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Kaubocks posted:

What is that thing? How giant is it when a Roe equips it? How hilarious does it look on a Lala? Why do they insist on ruining the look of guns with gauss barrel?

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Is there any gun in gauss barrel style?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

jigokuman posted:

What is that thing? How giant is it when a Roe equips it? How hilarious does it look on a Lala? Why do they insist on ruining the look of guns with gauss barrel?

1) revolver of the wanderer

2) i can't find a picture, sorry. coulda sworn i saw one

3)

4) :emptyquote:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I want to make a cowboy Machinist, but that would make my Bard a cowboy, too. :(

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I want to make a cowboy Machinist, but that would make my Bard a cowboy, too. :(

Macro a cowboy glamour plate to your machinist gear set. My crafting gear has a different outfit based on the sweet yellow scrip gear for each job despite using the same gear.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

jigokuman posted:

How giant is it when a Roe equips it? Why do they insist on ruining the look of guns with gauss barrel?

Big, with lalafel for scale. And yeah, but at least /gbarrel exists to hide it for you.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Is there any gun in gauss barrel style?

Nothing's really made for it, but the ironworks repeater is the closest thing I can think of.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You can tie glamour plates to gear sets. Though the problem of only ten plates rears its head again.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Saint Freak posted:

when I play WAR i feel like every time one of you assholes does anything that isn't giving me TP you, personally, are slowing the whole group down you goddamn fuckers for the gently caress of poo poo whenever you don't use spire or goad or tactician i pray for your demise, in real life, right now.

That's why I prefer DRK. Decent AoE and basically never have to worry about running dry.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Brainamp posted:

You can tie glamour plates to gear sets. Though the problem of only ten plates rears its head again.

God I hope that's fixed in the next patch.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

vanity shots incoming

https://twitter.com/kaubocks/status/1062230194713313280?s=21

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Captain Cappy posted:

Tell that to the warrior tank in O10S when he gets stuck with dragon dad for the entire last part and just runs out of cooldowns, including the paladin covering a hit for them.

Paladins are good and cool, and it's good they're not flashy so we don't get a bunch of people who should just be DPS playing them.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Thanks for all the pics! That thing is even dyeable...

Why does MCH have to be so aesthetically cool and mechanically awful? Guess I might have to practice rotations while listening to podcasts or something.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
MCH is a good and fun class for cool people.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MCH are cute as hell and we spit hot fire.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I can only assume that the only reason MCH is horrible to play is because everyone would be playing MCH if not.

I sure would be.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Asimo posted:

I can only assume that the only reason MCH is horrible to play is because everyone would be playing MCH if not.

I sure would be.

It's not horrible, but it does need a certain mindset to enjoy the clockwork rotation, and it could use a couple of QoL improvements. It's not a horrific trash fire like some people would tell you.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Tell that to the warrior tank in O10S when he gets stuck with dragon dad for the entire last part and just runs out of cooldowns, including the paladin covering a hit for them.

Paladins are good and cool, and it's good they're not flashy so we don't get a bunch of people who should just be DPS playing them.

Every tank runs really short on cooldowns if they have to tank all 4 of the last phase tankbusters. PLD is the worst at that since you only get 1 usage of Sentinel vs 2 uses of Vengeance/Shadowall.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I had a healer last night who refused to use Cure II, because "Cure is more efficient, you need to stay in tank stance". After I pointed out that the efficiency is the exact same, they told me to stop telling them how to play their class.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I had a healer last night who refused to use Cure II, because "Cure is more efficient, you need to stay in tank stance". After I pointed out that the efficiency is the exact same, they told me to stop telling them how to play their class.

and i'm freeeeee

freee cuuuuuring

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Cure 2 is more efficient because it lets me cast stone sooner and more often

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Also if you rotate Thin Air and Refresh you won't have mana issues. I'm no pro WHM, but I have one at 70.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Unless people are dying too much there is 0 excuse to ever run out of MP as a healer.

And when people do die too much, then at some point you're better off just leaving their dumb rear end dead because they're not worth the MP.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Vargatron posted:

Also if you rotate Thin Air and Refresh you won't have mana issues. I'm no pro WHM, but I have one at 70.

Don't forget Assize. Never forget Assize. ASSIZE.

Also, there's a point for WHM in the levels between getting Cure II and not yet having Thin Air or ASSIZE where you have to manage your MP a bit, use Cure sometimes, hopefully roll a Freecure here and there, but if you're at 70 you have so many off-cooldowns that you really shouldn't have MP issues unless you just got rezzed. Not that I would know anything about that last part.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Renegret posted:

Unless people are dying too much there is 0 excuse to ever run out of MP as a healer.

And when people do die too much, then at some point you're better off just leaving their dumb rear end dead because they're not worth the MP.

Unless you're an AST :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"I'm out of MP and could really use Ewer just now"

Balance
Balance
Balance
Balance

:suicide:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

orcane posted:

"I'm out of MP and could really use Ewer just now"

Balance
Balance
Balance
Balance

:suicide:

Ewer gently caress I royal roaded it by accident out of habit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Renegret posted:

Ewer gently caress I royal roaded it by accident out of habit

That's your fault for burning ewers instead of giving them to the DRK or BLM