Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mister Roboto posted:

Well, let's just be honest, art is probably slightly more important. Yes, it shouldn't be that way, but we all know of books that have terrible writing but good art and survive on that alone, whereas there's not as many that do the opposite.

I was just pointing out that it was the 90s and the fact that the artist were treated more important than the writers caused huge problems in the big two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Mister Roboto posted:

Well, let's just be honest, art is probably slightly more important. Yes, it shouldn't be that way, but we all know of books that have terrible writing but good art and survive on that alone, whereas there's not as many that do the opposite.

I'd say it's currently the opposite where writers are treated as the creative lead on a book while artists are interchangeable if they are even referenced in promotion material.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think part of it is is the "Superstar syndrome" where writers seem to facefault as soon as they become big names. Maybe it's that editors stop reigning in their worst successes, maybe it's that they're put on (or get the swagger to choose) big-name projects they aren't suited for, maybe they buy into their own hype, or maybe the assistant editors start poisoning their coffee with hallucinogens. Whatever the case, very few writers seem to make to the top and come out intact.

I picked up Goldfish during a holiday sale, and it helped reminded me of why Bendis was a big deal once. It's really groundbreaking and thoughtfully done, and... well... when was the last time he did something you'd call "groundbreaking?" Ultimate Spider-Man, maybe? It's just kind of a bummer to think of all the promise a writer showed early on and look at their output now, all too often.
Um, if Bendis has collapsed creatively I'd attribute it to being in charge of a bunch of franchise books. Good writing is not the highest priority on a book like X-Men or a crossover book and you aren't going to have the creative freedom that you would with Daredevil or Spider-Man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Um, if Bendis has collapsed creatively I'd attribute it to being in charge of a bunch of franchise books. Good writing is not the highest priority on a book like X-Men or a crossover book and you aren't going to have the creative freedom that you would with Daredevil or Spider-Man.

Also Scarlet and Powers are still really good when they come out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm going to be traveling a little this year. Can anyone recommend good comic shops in Columbus, Ohio and Knoxville, Tennessee? For me, "good" includes large selections of back issues, TPBs (especially discounted ones), and loose action figures, but beggars can't be choosers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Unfortunately the time I lived in Columbus and the time I had money for comics are not two things that intersected.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I picked up Goldfish during a holiday sale, and it helped reminded me of why Bendis was a big deal once. It's really groundbreaking and thoughtfully done, and... well... when was the last time he did something you'd call "groundbreaking?" Ultimate Spider-Man, maybe? It's just kind of a bummer to think of all the promise a writer showed early on and look at their output now, all too often.

New Avengers volume 1 was pretty drat amazing when it came out, even if in retrospect it seems a little fan-servicey (Let's put Spider-Man and Wolverine on the Avengers). I do love him for putting Luke Cage on the Avengers as well, and let's be honest, the only reason most of us know who Luke Cage is (outside of "Give me my money, honey"), is because of Bendis.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Skwirl posted:

let's be honest, the only reason most of us know who Luke Cage is (outside of "Give me my money, honey"), is because of Bendis.

Years ago, my local Wal-Mart was selling boxes of miscellaneous comics. In that pack I got an issue one of Luke Cage when he wore a leather jacket over a red shirt and fought a Jamaican/Caribbean ninja who had diamond-tipped fingernails on one of his hands.

That pack also came with Spider-man 2099 # 1 and I'm so bummed I can't find that anymore because the cover was so shiny.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Skwirl posted:

New Avengers volume 1 was pretty drat amazing when it came out, even if in retrospect it seems a little fan-servicey (Let's put Spider-Man and Wolverine on the Avengers). I do love him for putting Luke Cage on the Avengers as well, and let's be honest, the only reason most of us know who Luke Cage is (outside of "Give me my money, honey"), is because of Bendis.

Yeah, I'd have to reread it to really pass judgement, but that and Ultimates really turned the Avengers into something other than continuity flogging with b-listers.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I'd have to reread it to really pass judgement, but that and Ultimates really turned the Avengers into something other than continuity flogging with b-listers.

With the exception of Roger Stern's badass "Under Siege" storyline from the mid-'80s, I never gave a poo poo about the Avengers until Bendis' New Avengers. Most of that first series was fun as hell, with lots of street-level superheroics, comic relief, and the team being outmatched, outgunned, and on the run half the time.

Honestly, it reminded me of JLI in all the best ways, and that's why I'll always argue that it was worthwhile (even during the unpopular Secret Invasion and Siege). But after Siege, when Bendis started writing Avengers and New Avengers Vol. 2, it was never the same again.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Alien Rope Burn posted:

As much as I criticise it, what he did with Avengers was pretty amazing. It's not groundbreaking in the sense that it wasn't anything particularly new, but it was really fresh (for a time, at least), and really generated interest in what was an incredibly flagging series for years (I suppose arguably the Busiek/Perez run did the same thing, although to be honest I flipped through the first issue of that a while ago and it didn't really grab me).

e: Sorry, this point has already been made.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm going to be traveling a little this year. Can anyone recommend good comic shops in Columbus, Ohio and Knoxville, Tennessee? For me, "good" includes large selections of back issues, TPBs (especially discounted ones), and loose action figures, but beggars can't be choosers.
Hey, I'm in Knoxville--you have 2 options: Comics Exchange on Chapman Highway (lotsa back issues, large selection of trades, and packaged figures, and the workers are nice) and McKay Books on Papermill, a beloved gigantic used book/movie/music warehouse that has a whole wall of discounted trades and cheap cheap cheap back issues, but it depends of course on what people have brought in to get rid of. When are you going to be in the area?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 28, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I don't know where you are traveling from but if you are coming anywhere near Fort Wayne, IN you should stop by. We have DCBS which has just about every trade that's in print discounted at ~35%, Rhyno's store Clemm's Collectibles, and Books Comics & Things which has a pretty decent back catalog.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

Hey, I'm in Knoxville--you have 2 options: Comics Exchange on Chapman Highway (lotsa back issues, large selection of trades, and packaged figures, and the workers are nice) and McKay Books on Papermill, a beloved gigantic used book/movie/music warehouse that has a whole wall of discounted trades and cheap cheap cheap back issues, but it depends of course on what people have brought in to get rid of. When are you going to be in the area?

Hey! I should be there for a work conference the first weekend in April. E-mail me at saxman2 at hotmail!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

As much as I criticise it, what he did with Avengers was pretty amazing. It's not groundbreaking in the sense that it wasn't anything particularly new, but it was really fresh (for a time, at least), and really generated interest in what was an incredibly flagging series for years (I suppose arguably the Busiek/Perez run did the same thing, although to be honest I flipped through the first issue of that a while ago and it didn't really grab me).

e: Sorry, this point has already been made.

Bendis Avengers was the first time I ever felt like I "needed" to read the book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My Planetary omnibus just arrived today when Amazon had previously told me it wouldn't be here until Thursday. WOOOOO!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I don't know where you are traveling from but if you are coming anywhere near Fort Wayne, IN you should stop by. We have DCBS which has just about every trade that's in print discounted at ~35%, Rhyno's store Clemm's Collectibles, and Books Comics & Things which has a pretty decent back catalog.

As much as I totally would, I'll be flying to both places from Florida on separate trips. Thank you very much, though!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

Woooooooo.

BCTs staff are a bunch of cocks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apparently Thwipster is coming back as...something. Sign up and get in line to have a Thwipster account and do a thing!

http://signup.thwipster.com

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Soonmot posted:

My Planetary omnibus just arrived today when Amazon had previously told me it wouldn't be here until Thursday. WOOOOO!

Dang. I have the whole run that I was gonna get bound but that book looked cooler than anything I could have put together and 50% off at IST makes it a just a tad more than sending it off to H&R. Maybe I can unload the floppies in the Uncollected forums.

Speaking of Amazon, I rarely get my comics there unless it is from a secondary seller. Their packaging is atrocious and they rarely offer a good discount anymore. Also the fact that they get their books a few weeks later is a slight deterent. My comic purchases from them have dropped by at least 70% or more.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

I was just flipping through previews and I thought this was important.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

It is the most important thing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat it, I saw that last night and forgot to post it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Toys are so freakin' awesome these days.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Amazing Spiderman 2 looks like a complete hilarious mess and I'm going to be there first night.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Senor Candle posted:

I need one of these. Very badly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The hat on mine is getting repainted yellow.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's been about a month since I last did a comic book writers quiz. I've recently done another one which is probably a less obvious choice; WildC.A.T.S. writers.

I've also been trying to do something about the Legion of Super-Heroes one I've had sitting unaltered for months. Hopefully I'll find the time to finish it sooner or later.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I just bumped into an ancient Comics Journal interview with Todd McFarlane. Comics Journal interviews are often amazing because of how aggressive Gary Groth can be, but- McFarlane just comes across as dense.

Todd McFarlane posted:

I don’t know what you want me to read. I mean, if it’s technical stuff, you’re going to have a tough time, because unless it’s got pictures … I can’t read black and white, other than the box scores. I just don’t have that mentality. I’ve got to have pictures in front of me. I don’t read comics! I don’t read nothing really. I read the sports page … and then The Comics Journal — I’m going to give you a plug. Actually, that’s black and white. I do read that and whatever else. It’s not like I don’t have somewhat of a mild vocabulary out there.

I could turn out a better product, Gary. Yes, you’re darn tooting. I could turn out a better product but I don’t see where it would accomplish anything.

:drat:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I just bumped into an ancient Comics Journal interview with Todd McFarlane. Comics Journal interviews are often amazing because of how aggressive Gary Groth can be, but- McFarlane just comes across as dense.

:drat:

It makes sense though when you remember that Macfarlane was coming from "I'm rich as gently caress for turning out garbage, why should I actually try?" Dude was in it for the bucks, period.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As much as Liefeld gets slagged off I get the impression that he genuinely loves comics. I don't get the same impression from McFarlane.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I respect that a lot more than editors stop just short of saying "I'm going to take a dump on your favourite comics for no good reason, and you're still going to buy them because you're a bunch of pathetic marks."

I also think that after spending all those years "picking the cotton" McFarlane doesn't want to be told that he should be beholden to anyone or anything as long as people are buying what he produces. I can understand it.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 30, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Since I know I've seen people mention it around in BSS I've finally started reading through the latest series of TMNT based on seeing some Ross Campbell art for this weeks issue and that is a pretty drat fun book about mutant ninja turtles.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Seeing as all I really know is Marvel and DC and the people who/write draw for them, I am looking to expand my horizons a little bit. I have been reading some Image titles Saga, Sex Criminals, Lazarous, Prophet) but that is mostly because I know of the people writing/drawing those comics. I fear though that there might be a whole range of good stuff out there that I don't know about so can some people throw me some recommendations from other authors/artists/titles outside the big 2 please?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Seeing as all I really know is Marvel and DC and the people who/write draw for them, I am looking to expand my horizons a little bit. I have been reading some Image titles Saga, Sex Criminals, Lazarous, Prophet) but that is mostly because I know of the people writing/drawing those comics. I fear though that there might be a whole range of good stuff out there that I don't know about so can some people throw me some recommendations from other authors/artists/titles outside the big 2 please?

Madman, The Atomics, Hellboy, BPRD

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

Since I know I've seen people mention it around in BSS I've finally started reading through the latest series of TMNT based on seeing some Ross Campbell art for this weeks issue and that is a pretty drat fun book about mutant ninja turtles.
Wait, what, they actually hired him based on the TMNT fanart that's been on his DeviantArt page?

I've been a fan of Ross Campbell since I discovered Wet Moon.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Madkal posted:

Orc Stain.

Read Orc Stain.

No, seriously. Do it. Read Orc Stain.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

Orc Stain.

Read Orc Stain.

No, seriously. Do it. Read Orc Stain.

Everybody do this. EVERYBODY :doom:

Halloween Jack posted:

Wait, what, they actually hired him based on the TMNT fanart that's been on his DeviantArt page?

I've been a fan of Ross Campbell since I discovered Wet Moon.

I think so? He's done some one shots and contributed to various issues and he's really good at drawing turtles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a TMNT mega thread half put together but I don't know if there's enough people actually reading the book to warrant a whole thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I think there was one ages ago.

Plus there's a new TMNT film coming out. People need to know there's a fun book to read!

• Locked thread