Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I know I said colonial brutality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

zoux posted:

What's the racist term for a Belgian?

Depending on who you ask being flemish or wallon is the worst.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Also, I like TAS Batman. It's very clear in a lot of quiet ways that Bruce Wayne does quite a lot to clean up Gotham the hard way, from social services to giving felons a second chance to college scholarships to encouraging public works from other rich people to environmental sanctuaries to taking over and cleaning up more toxic companies.

I love Batman TAS. If anyone loves Batman and Justice League and other DC Animated Series, you should definitely check out Young Justice on Netlfix. I just found this show a week ago and it's awesome.

By the way, Australia has a major city named Batman, with its own representative in their Parliament. Imagine having like Bob Johnson (D-Batman) on CSPAN.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

XyloJW posted:

I love Batman TAS. If anyone loves Batman and Justice League and other DC Animated Series, you should definitely check out Young Justice on Netlfix. I just found this show a week ago and it's awesome.

By the way, Australia has a major city named Batman, with its own representative in their Parliament. Imagine having like Bob Johnson (D-Batman) on CSPAN.

Is there a story behind the name?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's named after a guy. Also batman used to be not a cool word it used to me "British officer's basically slave".

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I am going to root for the US today, but, win or lose, I am going to drink Belgian beer and have waffles for dinner. Those things are good. How can I make my waffles belgian though?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

XyloJW posted:

He looks the right age to have played Jesse Pinkman. Hm.

Pages back but I'm amazed no one posted this but Aaron Paul auditioned for the role of Francis, one of Halsenberg's children and didn't get it.

My familiarty with Belgium ends at In Bruges (one of my favorite movies) and the vast number of flemish lawyers that took financial regulation classes with me in law school. Any idea why belgian lawyers would take american financial regulation classes at a vastly higher rate than americans? They seriously made up a majority of the students in each class. Was it to buy our beer companies?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Is there a story behind the name?

Yeah the (white) guy who explored it was named John Batman, and he declared it Batmania. But then later they changed the name to Melbourne, after the then-Prime Minister of Britain, depriving the world of a great name for the second largest city in Australia. Still they named a suburb Batman so that's something.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Batman TAS was great until they changed the art style to make it look more like the stupid Superman cartoon they were bringing out. One of the prettier shows on TV suddenly looked like a half-assed mess.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

XyloJW posted:

I thought about it and I don't think there's much appeal in watching that. Sorry. I did like the Justice League when I was in middle school though and I would struggle to stay up to 10 to watch it haha tbp

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

XyloJW posted:

Imagine having like Bob Johnson (D-Batman) on CSPAN.

There is Mike Rogers (R-Hell)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
NYT review of Belgian men, 1882.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

zoux posted:

Quick name one thing about Belgium.

quote:

"The Most Gratuitous Use of the Word "Belgium" in a Serious Screenplay. It's very prestigious."

"The most gratuitous use of which word?" asked Arthur, with a determined attempt to keep his brain in neutral.

"Belgium," said the girl, "I hardly like to say it."

"Belgium?" exclaimed Arthur.

A drunken seven-toed sloth staggered past, gawked at the word and threw itself backward at a blurry-eyed pterodactyl, roaring with displeasure.

"Are we talking," said Arthur, "about the very flat country, with all the EEC and the fog?"

"What?" said the girl.

"Belgium," said Arthur.

"Raaaaaarrrchchchchch!" screeched the pterodactyl.

"Grrruuuuuurrrghhhh," agreed the seven-toed sloth.

"They must be thinking of Ostend Hoverport," muttered Arthur. He turned back to the girl.

"Have you ever been to Belgium in fact?" he asked brightly and she nearly hit him.

"I think," she said, restraining herself, "that you should restrict that sort of remark to something artistic."

"You sound as if I just said something unspeakable rude."

"You did."

In today's modern Galaxy there is of course very little still held to be unspeakable. Many words and expressions which only a matter of decades ago were considered so distastefully explicit that, were they merely to be breathed in public, the perpetrator would be shunned, barred from polite society, and in extreme cases shot through the lungs, are now thought to be very healthy and proper, and their use in everyday speech and writing is seen as evidence of a well-adjusted, relaxed and totally un****ed-up personality.

So, for instance, when in a recent national speech the Financial Minister of the Royal World Estate of Quarlvista actually dared to say that due to one thing and another and the fact that no one had made any food for a while and the king seemed to have died and most of the population had been on holiday now for over three years, the economy was now in what he called "one whole joojooflop situation," everyone was so pleased that he felt able to come out and say it that they quite failed to note that their entire five-thousand-year-old civilization had just collapsed overnight.
But even though words like "joojooflop," "swut," and "turlingdrome" are now perfectly acceptable in common usage there is one word that is still beyond the pale. The concept it embodies is so revolting that the publication or broadcast of the word is utterly forbidden in all parts of the Galaxy except for use in Serious Screenplays. There is also, or was, one planet where they didn't know what it meant, the stupid turlingdromes.

"I see," said Arthur, who didn't, "so what do you get for using the name of a perfectly innocent if slightly dull European country gratuitously in a Serious Screenplay?"

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

My familiarty with Belgium ends at In Bruges (one of my favorite movies) and the vast number of flemish lawyers that took financial regulation classes with me in law school. Any idea why belgian lawyers would take american financial regulation classes at a vastly higher rate than americans? They seriously made up a majority of the students in each class. Was it to buy our beer companies?
I guess it's bon ton for professions like financial lawyers to have a degree in America, land of capitalism and greed.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So the solution for jobless law grads is to move to Belgium?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
We are also forgetting Hercule Poirot and http://www.tubechop.com/watch/3207754

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Here's what Charles Baudelaire (a french cool guy) had to say about Belgians:

Baudelaire posted:

"The Belgians are fools, liars, and thieves... Here deceit is the rule and brings no dishonor... Don't ever believe what people say about the good nature of the Belgians. Ruse, defiance, false affability, crudeness, treachery - now all of that you can believe."

Some more abuse: "the stupidest race on earth (at least I presume there's none stupider)" (13 Oct 1864). "You know there's no Belgian cuisine and that these people don't know how to cook eggs or grill meat... The sight of a Belgian woman gives me a vague desire to faint." (3 Feb 1865)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Joementum posted:

NYT review of Belgian men, 1882.

*looks down at his small but fat body covered in gold and jewellery and cries*

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Freedom waffles are still okay, right?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Did the NYT review all nationalities of men during the 1880s or did they just single out the Belgians?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

midnightclimax posted:

Here's what Charles Baudelaire (a french cool guy) had to say about Belgians:
i guess that's the impression you get if you only go to a country to smoke opium and drink heavily

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Wait, I think people are glossing over the fact that before it was called Melbourne it was BATMANIA.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

R. Mute posted:

i guess that's the impression you get if you only go to a country to smoke opium and drink heavily

So, Belgium was the destination for that kind of thing, then.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

if you replace opium with coke, we still are, i guess

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Cheekio posted:

Wait, I think people are glossing over the fact that before it was called Melbourne it was BATMANIA.

There's still a major suburb called Batman. Here's the best part: the current rep for Batman is the SHADOW MINISTER OF JUSTICE.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Feeney

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

zoux posted:

Quick name one thing about Belgium.

My grandpa served in a hospital there during WWII.

He recently passed, and my family decided to give me the job of going through his war photos and seeing what I can do with them.

First pass I discovered a lot of VE-era photos of Liege and Tongres, a near mint collection of wallet sized pictures of the liberation of Paris, some pictures of Tongres right after the Americans recaptured the city, and a postcard signed by a 'Swiss Godmother' my Grandfather met on leave in Switzerland.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

XyloJW posted:

There's still a major suburb called Batman. Here's the best part: the current rep for Batman is the SHADOW MINISTER OF JUSTICE.

OK seriously, now I'm hearing the Batman: TAS opening theme.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Chantilly Say posted:

Did the NYT review all nationalities of men during the 1880s or did they just single out the Belgians?

i would love for this to happen in 2014

Thomas Friedman on: Iranians

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Jean Claude Van Damme is from Belgium. Not really a feather in its cap, though. Neutral at best.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

So what is the general opinion on Stefan Molineux. I think he is a smart guy but is logic is lazy and he seems to be full of himself. I have a friend who idolize him and I found it frustrating.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

sounds like a loving idiot, op

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

OK seriously, now I'm hearing the Batman: TAS opening theme.

You don't always hear it?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

It's well established that Batman is insane and he is partially responsible of all the trouble in Gotham.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
I'm pretty sure there are three batman cities in the world

I know there's a Batman in south eastern turkey, it's fill of Kurds and has a reputation for gangsters and gun crime

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Herge is from Belgium. That's a thing, right? (Tintin. In this forum, most known for the Gingrich/In The Congo mashup.)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

kelvron posted:

You don't always hear it?

Surprisingly, no!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Speaking of Batman, Ann, which superhero would Mitt most like to be?

Ooooh, nice try but no.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Obligatory answer: Red Tornado

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

XyloJW posted:

Obligatory answer: Red Tornado

I would also have accepted Vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I will always respect Romney for hyphenating Spider-Man.

• Locked thread