Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I laughed way too hard at the extremely minor joke they did with Bats' real name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think this is gonna be a thing. Shaun of the Dead didn't inspire a wave of Shauns or Eds, and Hot Fuzz didn't inspire a wave of Nicks or Dannies.

Those were already names. 'Baby' is a new one. Edgar Wright has accidentally expanded the Acceptable Name Threshold. It won't even necessarily be people who loved this movie; it will be people who have vaguely heard of it and thought 'oh, what a good name for a baby, specifically this baby, MY baby!'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really doubt "Baby" would be harder to live with than "Khaleesi"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I read social worker files for a job, and I've come across a couple of kids named Baby. It's not common or anything, but it's not quite non-existent.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

precision posted:

The final act was a total shock, especially Spacey actually showing that the real reason he keeps Baby around is that he loves him like a son

I didn't really understand that. How could he love him like a son and also threaten to break his legs? It's obvious that Doc has some affection for Baby but I never understood the nature of it. I wondered if Doc was gay and had some romantic feelings for him but no intention on acting on them. All of the other main characters' sexualities were made explicitly clear. I think the closest Doc came was saying "I was in love once," which obviously doesn't specify a gender. Did I go to the bathroom and miss a dialog that made his paternal feelings clear?

I'm not saying this is literally true, just that I found his motivations ambiguous and I never really worked them out.

Also, regarding the gloves: Was their only purpose to be discarded in a washing-blood-off-his-hands visual metaphor?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You don’t send someone you love like a son out to risk his neck repeatedly against his will. Doc probably appreciated the fact Baby was a professional and he was consistent. Like how a McDonald’s manager appreciates the fry guy who never calls out.

All the ‘good’ things Doc did at the end were because Doc didn’t think he was in danger. He was in control right up to the end. Also his day job’s a music producer and he was impressed by Baby’s sick beat.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Doc is that one coworker/ manager that thinks that just because you are cordial at work and do projects well together means that you're automatically best friends outside of the office.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So Jon Bernthal was basically just playing The Punisher in this again, huh?

Seriously, it's almost the exact same performance, and I am not at all saying this as a complaint because I am okay with that performance being in literally everything

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think this is gonna be a thing. Shaun of the Dead didn't inspire a wave of Shauns or Eds, and Hot Fuzz didn't inspire a wave of Nicks or Dannies.

Shaun of the Dead - $19m
Hot Fuzz - $30m
Baby Driver - $61m (so far)

You can't really compare them since this is already a much bigger success so should have a much bigger influence. I only say this because I think it would be hilarious to have a decent number of 50+ year olds too embarrassed to give people their first name someday.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
"Grandpa Baby"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Colonel Whitey posted:

"Grandpa Baby"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIA2sGSTABs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Regarding Spacey at the end:

I got the impression that Baby and Debora were being set up as "the next Buddy and Monica" and that Baby realizing this was what made him want to do the time instead of running. This ties into Doc because as I see it, Doc's threat to Baby wasn't entirely genuine; it was a pantomime that allowed Baby to think he had no choice but to do the super awesome crime thing that he had started to like. His aversion to the realities of the violence surrounding his crimes hinted that he'd Break Good in the end, but it wasn't until he realized that he could all too easily "become" Buddy that he realized the only way he'd get out is owning up to everything.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
At the risk of starting up this whole discussion again, here's the entire first scene of the movie (uploaded by Sony so it's legit). The alley 180-180 is cut differently from the trailer, there's a cutaway to Jon Hamm after the first shot, which bridges the time gap between that and the cut to him coming out of the last 180. I think this helps make it even more coherent, but folks might disagree, I dunno, whatever. I'm not interested in discussing this again, just thought people might want to see for themselves. Also the scene is loving cool and now you can watch it on repeat until you die from dehydration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtZ_Zat3Ag8

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

I loving love the way they incorporated Baby's tinnitus into the movie's score, and I love that it's basically the first sound you hear.

I also love Baby's wordless journey from :c00lbert: to :rock: :dance: :parrot: :banjo: and back to :c00lbert: in the span of like a minute.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Colonel Whitey posted:

At the risk of starting up this whole discussion again, here's the entire first scene of the movie (uploaded by Sony so it's legit). The alley 180-180 is cut differently from the trailer, there's a cutaway to Jon Hamm after the first shot, which bridges the time gap between that and the cut to him coming out of the last 180. I think this helps make it even more coherent, but folks might disagree, I dunno, whatever. I'm not interested in discussing this again, just thought people might want to see for themselves. Also the scene is loving cool and now you can watch it on repeat until you die from dehydration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtZ_Zat3Ag8

Thank you. I feel that moment is good, but there are better moments in that sequence, like at 3:08 when Berenthal looks at baby, and you can see the white stripes on baby's glasses. The switcheroo with the 2 other red cars was brilliant, as well as the camera move when it exits the ramp at 3:35 as he does an almost uturn across the frame.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So did the spike strip not knock out one tire or was Baby using runflat tires or something?

And no one seems in the least bit concerned about fingerprints.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

So did the spike strip not knock out one tire or was Baby using runflat tires or something?

And no one seems in the least bit concerned about fingerprints.

Everyone but Baby was wearing gloves, and Baby's fingerprints are meaningless because he's not in any criminal databases because he's never been caught. :ninja:

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Has someone here explained why Baby said "yes" to doing the last job after Kevin Spacey was ready to call it off? He was planning on leaving that night so why not just say he wasn't gonna do it then leave in peace?

Also my brother saw Ansel Elgort a couple years ago in a Games Workshop painting Warhammer figures

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Has someone here explained why Baby said "yes" to doing the last job after Kevin Spacey was ready to call it off? He was planning on leaving that night so why not just say he wasn't gonna do it then leave in peace?

Also my brother saw Ansel Elgort a couple years ago in a Games Workshop painting Warhammer figures

When Spacey was saying he was going to take Baby home, Bats jumps in and offers to drive him instead. If Baby fucks up the job, there's about a 99.9% chance Bats is going to murder him for loving up his robbery. Same reason why Buddy goes along with his story regarding the gun deal, they both know that pissing off Bats has only one outcome.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

When Spacey was saying he was going to take Baby home, Bats jumps in and offers to drive him instead. If Baby fucks up the job, there's about a 99.9% chance Bats is going to murder him for loving up his robbery. Same reason why Buddy goes along with his story regarding the gun deal, they both know that pissing off Bats has only one outcome.

Thats what I figured, but I felt it was a pretty weak explanation. Kevin Spacey wouldn't want Bats to kill his #1 driver, so I feel like Baby could have just brought that up to Kevin Spacey either right then or in private later. Baby is planning on ditching anyway and its unlikely that Bats would murder him right then and there with 4 people against him. Baby could decline the job then say he isn't going to go with Bats because he doesn't trust him. Baby's motivation sort of makes sense, but you could come up with several ways to potentially get out of that situation without dying nor agreeing to the job

I guess I just wasn't too fond of the last half of the movie. The antagonist changes 3 times, and the final scene in the parking garage is a letdown considering how good the prior car chases had been.

SpiritOfSanDimas fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 14, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Even if he got out of that situation alive, he'd have still pissed off Bats. The man who murders a lot for no particular reason.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I get that, but he was planning on pissing off Kevin Spacey by just hitting the open road that very night. Also he was trying to sneak out that night which would have pissed off Bats anyway! His plan had always been to just run away from it all, regardless of who he pissed off

Also, if Baby let Kevin Spacey know that Bats had killed his crooked cops, presumably Kevin Spacey could have Bats killed

Anyway I liked the movie alot, but I think it might have been better served not doing the 3 villain switch and keeping it a little more straightforward

SpiritOfSanDimas fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 14, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I think he kinda wants to do the crime & not let down his crime dads. He has too many outs that he doesn't take.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 14, 2017

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

That makes me like him a lot more for some reason

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

That makes me like him a lot more for some reason

He apparently won multiple Golden Demon awards for his miniatures back when he was a teenager.

Other celebrities I just learned were into Warhammer; Ed Sheeran and Robin Williams.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Spergatory posted:

He apparently won multiple Golden Demon awards for his miniatures back when he was a teenager.

Other celebrities I just learned were into Warhammer; Ed Sheeran and Robin Williams.

Neither of those surprise me. Robin Williams named his daughter after the Legend of Zelda.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like a loving idiot. I thought Buddy was Jon Bernthal and kept doing a double take when people were talking about Jon Hamm in here. Turns out Bernthal played someone completely different. :ughh:

Also I really have no idea how to feel about Ansel Elgort. His physicality and mannerisms are great in this (his drumming along and lipsyncing to Bellbottoms was adorable) but whenever he opens his mouth he nearly sinks the movie outright.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like a loving idiot. I thought Buddy was Jon Bernthal and kept doing a double take when people were talking about Jon Hamm in here. Turns out Bernthal played someone completely different. :ughh:

Also I really have no idea how to feel about Ansel Elgort. His physicality and mannerisms are great in this (his drumming along and lipsyncing to Bellbottoms was adorable) but whenever he opens his mouth he nearly sinks the movie outright.

Berenthal and Hamm are literally the first non-Baby faces you see and they have very similar haircuts. I get it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That actually makes my earlier statement really hilarious, because Jon Bernthal basically reusing his Daredevil performance would be one thing, but Jon Hamm giving an incredibly similar performance in a movie where the actor he's seemingly riffing on appears is some next-level poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Not that I have any beef with this, Buddy owned.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That actually makes my earlier statement really hilarious, because Jon Bernthal basically reusing his Daredevil performance would be one thing, but Jon Hamm giving an incredibly similar performance in a movie where the actor he's seemingly riffing on appears is some next-level poo poo.

I haven't watched the show so I was so confused when you said that, like I thought they made Daredevil a violent lech.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I guess I just wasn't too fond of the last half of the movie. The antagonist changes 3 times, and the final scene in the parking garage is a letdown considering how good the prior car chases had been.

Same, this movie seemed like it was better than the antagonist-becomes-the-terminator cliche it turns into. Based on some lines changing from the trailer I wonder if they had a different end sequence lined up originally?

Also I was super pumped when Radar Love started playing, but then they didn't use it for a sweet chase! Come on!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So it's comfortably overtaken Hot Fuzz as Wright's most successful movie and will cross the $100m fairly soon. Although interestingly in the UK box office it's not even in the same league as Hot Fuzz ($40m), has a way to to go to Shaun ($12m) or World's End ($13m), but has matched Pilgrim ($8m). Sterling isn't what is was, post brexit...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's by far his least British film. I mean sure Scott Pilgrim is set in Canada but Canada has the same queen as Britain so it's basically the same country.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
All the British people I know are super down on this movie for, yep, being "too American".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Neither of those surprise me. Robin Williams named his daughter after the Legend of Zelda.

Billy Crystal too. He and Williams used to play when they were shooting together and weren't needed in set.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

precision posted:

All the British people I know are super down on this movie for, yep, being "too American".

Do those people only go to see British films or something?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Do those people only go to see British films or something?

No, I think it's kind of like they think he's sold out a little bit.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

precision posted:

No, I think it's kind of like they think he's sold out a little bit.

THEY'RE NOT EVEN FROM ROUND HERE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

I've not heard a single person say that.

• Locked thread