Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This thread has me wanting to read another Culture book. I have Inversions, Excession, State of the Art and The Hydrogen Sonata left. Which is the best one to go with? My gut tells me Excession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

This thread has me wanting to read another Culture book. I have Inversions, Excession, State of the Art and The Hydrogen Sonata left. Which is the best one to go with? My gut tells me Excession.

State of the art is ok, but it has some non-culture stories in it and I never liked the main one that much. I'd go with excession yeah.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Excession is one of my favorites, the ending is fun and it's basically all about the minds and how they work together.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nurge posted:

Maybe it's cribbing on the buddhist idea of a Bodhisattva, where enlightened beings purposefully delay their ascent into nirvana/whatever higher form of existence in order to help others along on the path.

That’s one of the reasons the Culture doesn’t sublime (as well as not trusting it 100 percent), they feel it would be lacking in public spirit to stop trying to uplift species that aren’t Involved/are doing some shady poo poo.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s one of the reasons the Culture doesn’t sublime (as well as not trusting it 100 percent), they feel it would be lacking in public spirit to stop trying to uplift species that aren’t Involved/are doing some shady poo poo.

Yeah and from the perspective of the Minds, those civilizations could eventually make AIs like Minds, but only if someone helps them along.

It's all pretty naive but it makes sense from a certain point of view.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 18, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

While cruising along in hyperspace, you suddenly look down and see a primitive crawling toward space. You reach down and flip it over onto its back. The primitive civ lies there, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over, but it cannot do so without your help. You are not helping. Why?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Prav posted:

While cruising along in hyperspace, you suddenly look down and see a primitive crawling toward space. You reach down and flip it over onto its back. The primitive civ lies there, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over, but it cannot do so without your help. You are not helping. Why?

It's space hitler.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Nail Rat posted:

Excession is great.

Waffle House posted:

Lois McMaster Bujold is supposed to be good but I haven’t picked up any of her stuff yet

She is and you should. I'd start with The Warrior's Apprentice and go in universe chronologically from there.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nail Rat posted:

Excession for sure.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

Gonna go with Excession, Inversions and Hydrogen Sonata in that order.

Keep an eye out for a special guest appearance from Space GBS ;)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nurge posted:

Maybe it's cribbing on the buddhist idea of a Bodhisattva, where enlightened beings purposefully delay their ascent into nirvana/whatever higher form of existence in order to help others along on the path.

that's basically how the Culture view themselves, they could have sublimed ages ago but stick around to put their oar in

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

goddamnit all both copies of the player of games are checked out at my library

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Nail Rat posted:

Hydrogen Sonata is not very good so I would probably pass on that one unless you are really jonesing for more Banks at some point. Banks always has really cool set pieces and at least a handful of fun sci-fi ideas. Sometimes his plots are actually good and sometimes they are just kind of there to move you between set pieces. Hydrogen Sonata is definitely the latter.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Na'at posted:

She is and you should. I'd start with The Warrior's Apprentice and go in universe chronologically from there.

and stop at Diplomatic Immunity, because the three books after that are author-written fanfic.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
It doesn’t make sense that subliming makes a mind or a culture suddenly unwilling or unable to help a lesser species advance. Or to stop caring about a species they previously cared about. If someone is very, very happy they don’t just stop caring about helping anyone. And if someone gets very smart or advanced they don’t stop caring. They only way subliming would make a mind or species stop caring is if subliming fundamentally changed how these entities think or what they’re capable of even perceiving. Seeing the universe at some sort of higher level shouldn’t mean that you can no longer sense or care about suffering at a human level. It don’t make no sense.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Dennis System posted:

It doesn’t make sense that subliming makes a mind or a culture suddenly unwilling or unable to help a lesser species advance. Or to stop caring about a species they previously cared about. If someone is very, very happy they don’t just stop caring about helping anyone. And if someone gets very smart or advanced they don’t stop caring. They only way subliming would make a mind or species stop caring is if subliming fundamentally changed how these entities think or what they’re capable of even perceiving. Seeing the universe at some sort of higher level shouldn’t mean that you can no longer sense or care about suffering at a human level. It don’t make no sense.

That is exactly what subliming does, though. IIRC, after a bunch of attempts, a Mind sublimed and came back, and kind of went nuts because it couldn’t even begin to parse its memories of the experience.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It's...just how they're programmed? :v:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Waffle House posted:

It's...just how they're programmed? :v:

True, but a being as advanced as a mind should be able to overcome it’ programming.

That is exactly what subliming does, though. IIRC, after a bunch of attempts, a Mind sublimed and came back, and kind of went nuts because it couldn’t even begin to parse its memories of the experience.

If subliming changes your thinking process that drastically and makes you incapable of empathy or sympathy, then I think subliming is probably a bad thing. There’s definitely something sinister about it imho.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

True, but a being as advanced as a mind should be able to overcome it’ programming.

I think that's just called ascension in the books. Subliming is also a macguffin it turns out

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Do you go out of your way to improve the lives of bacteria? To the Sublimed, even the most horrendous suffering is less than trivial. It’s not that they don’t notice or are incapable of help, it’s that from their new perspective everything we think matters is meaningless.

Think about how you as an adult feel about the things that made you cry as a child. A broken toy, a scraped knee, some playground injustice. Even with maximum empathy most people cannot muster more than a condescending tolerance of things that, to a child, shake the very foundations of their world.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Do you go out of your way to improve the lives of bacteria? To the Sublimed, even the most horrendous suffering is less than trivial. It’s not that they don’t notice or are incapable of help, it’s that from their new perspective everything we think matters is meaningless.

Think about how you as an adult feel about the things that made you cry as a child. A broken toy, a scraped knee, some playground injustice. Even with maximum empathy most people cannot muster more than a condescending tolerance of things that, to a child, shake the very foundations of their world.

I don’t try to help bacteria because they don’t suffer. If I found out they were sentient and do suffer then I would try to help them if I could. If I’m walking down the street and I see a cat being hurt I’ll absolutely try to help it. I don’t think you think you should try to stop suffering based on whether it’s “meaningful”. If I had godlike powers, I’d stop scraped knees and school yard injustices as well.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also there are several examples in the books of Sublimed entities that still take an interest in material affairs. The Dra’Azon in Consider Phlebas and the Chelgarian-Puen from Look to Windward being the most notable.

I don’t try to help bacteria because they don’t suffer. If I found out they were sentient and do suffer then I would try to help them if I could. If I’m walking down the street and I see a cat being hurt I’ll absolutely try to help it. I don’t think you think you should try to stop suffering based on whether it’s “meaningful”. If I had godlike powers, I’d stop scraped knees and school yard injustices as well.

You’d probably make a terrible god. Check out The Worthing Saga for a pretty good (IMO) dissertation on why an all-powerful, all knowing being wouldn’t and, it is argued, shouldn’t, intercede in the case of every minor scrape and boo boo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Interceding against events like the Holocaust brook more discussion, but I’m against you on the scraped knee thing.

Perhaps, to a being whose perception of time extends across geological eras as if they were mere moments, even events as catastrophic as mass murder are, proportionately, the scraped knees of an infant civilization.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Also there are several examples in the books of Sublimed entities that still take an interest in material affairs. The Dra’Azon in Consider Phlebas and the Chelgarian-Puen from Look to Windward being the most notable.

The Dra’Azon maintain the dead worlds of species that killed themselves off as a way to show how much poo poo sucks in the regular material universe, though. They pretty much just splat any ships that aren’t from the races they’ve let act as stewards and that’s the extent of their interaction with non-sublimed.

E:

If subliming changes your thinking process that drastically and makes you incapable of empathy or sympathy, then I think subliming is probably a bad thing. There’s definitely something sinister about it imho.

That’s also a significant part of The Culture’s take on it.
Hydrogen Sonata spoiler

The reason all sublimed typically vanish at once is because if it’s not an entire civilization going at once as a kind of network, or a Mind/Mind equivalent, they lose all their individuality and kind of evaporate.

Also they all have to do it within an hour of each other or the ones to go first will be so far beyond those that went after they can’t relate to each other anymore.

Subliming is some crazy stuff.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 19, 2018

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Dra’Azon maintain the dead worlds of species that killed themselves off as a way to show how much poo poo sucks in the regular material universe, though. They pretty much just splat any ships that aren’t from the races they’ve let act as stewards and that’s the extent of their interaction with non-sublimed.

Apparently that’s an unusually high level of interaction.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Interceding against events like the Holocaust brook more discussion, but I’m against you on the scraped knee thing.

Perhaps, to a being whose perception of time extends across geological eras as if they were mere moments, even events as catastrophic as mass murder are, proportionately, the scraped knees of an infant civilization.

I probably wouldn’t intercede in a scraped knee-like event, because children need experiences like that to make them become mature adults capable of functioning in this nightmare world we live in. But if I was god, I’d change the fundamental nature of reality and such that suffering in any form wouldn’t and wouldn’t need to exist.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I probably wouldn’t intercede in a scraped knee-like event, because children need experiences like that to make them become mature adults capable of functioning in this nightmare world we live in. But if I was god, I’d change the fundamental nature of reality and such that suffering in any form wouldn’t and wouldn’t need to exist.

At that point wouldn’t the entire universe just be static and pointless?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

They’re not gods, though, they’ve just moved beyond standard time and space.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

They’re not gods, though, they’ve just moved beyond standard time and space.

For all intents and purposes to beings living in the material universe, they are gods.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

E:

That’s also a significant part of The Culture’s take on it.
Hydrogen Sonata spoiler

The reason all sublimed typically vanish at once is because if it’s not an entire civilization going at once as a kind of network, or a Mind/Mind equivalent, they lose all their individuality and kind of evaporate.

Also they all have to do it within an hour of each other or the ones to go first will be so far beyond those that went after they can’t relate to each other anymore.

Subliming is some crazy stuff.

Yeah, a lot of that stuff reminds me of the human instrumentality project from Neon Genesis Evangelion. (I don’t usually watch anime.)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What I think of as super cool about Subliming is the description of how, in the higher dimensions of the Sublimed, the univese is "full." Our universe is, by comparison, mostly empty space even on an atomic level. The dimensions occupied by the Sublime are apparently more solid than empty and that allows for a closer and faster relationship between particles as well as an infinite and continuous expansion of consciousness.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Iirc there are also a lot of minds that have hosed off and "gone dark" without having sublimed, doing anything from suicide to forever in a "matrix" world of their own making to making dioramas

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I think, in the books at least, the point was that if you were a god you wouldn't give a poo poo about that anymore

No more than you now care about what happens to a protobacteria in Malaysia anyway

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

This quote is probably the best argument against doing a goddamn thing at all if you're a god. That's simply horrifying.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Thing is the races aren't individual children falling down, and the metaphor isn't that useful to the reality of barbaric civs.
If you see 1 person killing another and you tell yourself it's ok because it's a learning experience, it doesn't mean much to the one that got killed. That person learned gently caress all. I'm guessing this is more like the culture mind thinking behind intervention. The whole culture series is about the morality of intervening and the cost.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
So do guyes agree with the Culture that it is not only ok but a goddamn duty to mess with civilizations less advanced than them? It's the complete opposite of the Prime Directive. As it should be.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

it's the white man's burden

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

doverhog posted:

So do guyes agree with the Culture that it is not only ok but a goddamn duty to mess with civilizations less advanced than them? It's the complete opposite of the Prime Directive. As it should be.

Yeah, Star Trek was like “well, they’re going to have a genocide or race war, but, we’ll just let them handle it”.

The Culture is like “Welp, this place is a totalitarian hellscape. Let’s gently caress with it.”

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

RFC2324 posted:

it's the white man's burden

Framed like this it doesn't sound so nice anymore, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

doverhog posted:

Framed like this it doesn't sound so nice anymore, yeah.

i mean that is literally one of the major things used to justify colonialism

• Locked thread