Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Instead of wasting time trying to make his wrists thin enough to slip out of his bonds, Bora should have stretched his nose so that it would stay above the level of the water. What an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ok

Cobra Lionfist
Jun 4, 2013
Wasn't the "water" mostly piss and poo poo? Maybe he didn't want to have to keep smelling it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You're thinking of Pinocchio imo

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Don't try and foist good scifi on goons. They don't appreciate it. Just make a star wars thread and collect their applause.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

need to read this one again, thanks for the reminder op. but for the record i have no idea what the gently caress you’re trying to say.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You could say, that goons are a alittle unCultured heh

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I want a "Interesting Times Gang" gang tag.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
wow OP, I'm Ravished By The Sheer Implausibility Of That Last Statement

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Colonel Cancer posted:

You could say, that goons are a alittle unCultured heh

omg i use my laser and my plasma gun on you

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
try what and slip out of his cuffs? theres a word missing from your title

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

try what and slip out of his cuffs? theres a word missing from your title

heroin

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
A former co-worker recommended the Culture novels to me as he was a huge fan and I was looking for new authors to read. I read a few and they were pretty good. Later I found out the guy was an ultra conservative who hated Obama. People are funny.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Laterite posted:

A former co-worker recommended the Culture novels to me as he was a huge fan and I was looking for new authors to read. I read a few and they were pretty good. Later I found out the guy was an ultra conservative who hated Obama. People are funny.

Struth. Gotten plenty of good book recommendations from people who classify themselves as "socially liberal" etc.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The first book has a serious gravitas shortfall. Try reading Player of Games and go from there.

And the guy who wrote the Culture novels is a massive leftie.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
oh word?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I don't remember much from that book. The shape-shifter dude was some sort of intelligence operative from some sort of rebel group and the main villain was a women intelligence agent from the oppressive government. But the shape shifter dude and the evil woman agent used to be lovers or something. But the dude worked for the culture, so who did the woman work for? Maybe some different alien species that the culture was fighting or something? I don't remember. Come to think of it consider plebas might have taken place a thousand years before the other culture books took place, so the culture was weaker then? I've forgotten almost everything about those books even though I only read them like three year ago. I do remember a good bit of the player of game though. That book made a much bigger impression on me than the other books for some reason. I remember everyone on the internet saying The Use of Weapons (can't remember the exact name) was the best book in the series, but I didn't like it at all. I'm probably a retard. I like the player of games a lot more than use of weapons. I also thought the book with the giant gas creatures that lived in the upper atmosphere of a huge planet was good. Also remember one of the books had a music lover dude who replaced his eyes with two more ears. That was pretty hosed up. Anyways, no way in hell do I remember a plot detail as minute as the shape shifter making his wrists smaller to get out of space handcuffs.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Laterite posted:

Wait what? How the hell does this square with writing about how great literal luxury space communism would be?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The one about Earth was the only lovely one in the series.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Gavrilo Princip posted:

Wait what? How the hell does this square with writing about how great literal luxury space communism would be?
Because Iain M. Banks, the author of the Culture novels, was basically a communist. He's about the most opposite of a right-winger you could find.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gavrilo Princip posted:

People who aren't completely retarded can enjoy media that doesn't espouse the exact same views as they have. I don't know why this is such a novel idea these days.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

The Dennis System posted:

I don't remember much from that book.

How do you not remember the obese finger eating cannibal who rules a cult of actual poo poo eaters marooned on an island

^^^ I get that you can enjoy media that isn't totally in line with your political stance but I'm asking how you effectively argue eloquently for an idea that you personally despise, over the course of many, many books

Edit: poo poo I'm retarded, thought you were talking about Banks and not your coworker

Gavrilo Princip fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 14, 2018

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I tried jelqing my nose but it didn't yield the expected results

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

I don't remember much from that book. The shape-shifter dude was some sort of intelligence operative from some sort of rebel group and the main villain was a women intelligence agent from the oppressive government. But the shape shifter dude and the evil woman agent used to be lovers or something. But the dude worked for the culture, so who did the woman work for? Maybe some different alien species that the culture was fighting or something? I don't remember. Come to think of it consider plebas might have taken place a thousand years before the other culture books took place, so the culture was weaker then? I've forgotten almost everything about those books even though I only read them like three year ago. I do remember a good bit of the player of game though. That book made a much bigger impression on me than the other books for some reason. I remember everyone on the internet saying The Use of Weapons (can't remember the exact name) was the best book in the series, but I didn't like it at all. I'm probably a retard. I like the player of games a lot more than use of weapons. I also thought the book with the giant gas creatures that lived in the upper atmosphere of a huge planet was good. Also remember one of the books had a music lover dude who replaced his eyes with two more ears. That was pretty hosed up. Anyways, no way in hell do I remember a plot detail as minute as the shape shifter making his wrists smaller to get out of space handcuffs.

The shape shifter was an intelligence agent for the oppressive government that was at war with the Culture. The woman was a Culture agent sent to the same planet.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Gavrilo Princip posted:

How do you not remember the obese finger eating cannibal who rules a cult of actual poo poo eaters marooned on an island

Oh, poo poo. Now that you bring it up, I do remember that part. That part was too gross for my tastes, although I'm easily grossed out.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
it's really weird that the bad guy from Surface Detail is going to profit from a TV series of the Culture

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nurge posted:

The shape shifter was an intelligence agent for the oppressive government that was at war with the Culture. The woman was a Culture agent sent to the same planet.

Oh, right. I'm thinking the first book wasn't from the point of view of people in the culture, but that most of the other books were.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Book sucked. The only impressive thing about it was how loving boring he managed to make a shapeshifting space assassin.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Oh, right. I'm thinking the first book wasn't from the point of view of people in the culture, but that most of the other books were.

I think there's at least one more that's from the POV of someone from a low tech planet that the culture has contact with now and then for some reason. Inversions I think.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

It was a pretty weird book. It struck me as odd that the first book in the culture series is from the perspective of someone deeply critical of the culture, without really exploring the society in any real depth. I got the impression that consider phlebas had a lot of little sci fi set pieces that Banks had become individually excited about and tried to mash them together into his first SF novel. I recommended a friend start at player of games last week.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Nurge posted:

I think there's at least one more that's from the POV of someone from a low tech planet that the culture has contact with now and then for some reason. Inversions I think.

Matter was barely from the Culture's perspective at all, it was basically a slightly fantastical Medieval fantasy book. It's probably why I liked it the least.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Also when bora copies people what does he do about the size of thir dick?? Does he just guess, or is he walking around with a totally wild hog 24/7?

naked umlaut
Aug 3, 2005
never heard of this movie

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

bitmap posted:

Also when bora copies people what does he do about the size of thir dick?? Does he just guess, or is he walking around with a totally wild hog 24/7?

He keeps a monster dong at all times.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

The gas creatures one was Matter I think (not Culture)

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
Someone post the bit about Gurgeh(?) playing space chess and it being really hard but him being really good at it anyway.

That was a funny summary of not my favourite book

Which was the one where a guy gets chucked out into space and dies then 50000 years later aliens pick him up and defrost him and reanimate his corpse? I think it had the giant aliens that other aliens lived on, also the squid guys who played squash with live balls. Entertaining.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mugsbaloney posted:

The gas creatures one was Matter I think (not Culture)

The gas giant (dirigible behemothor) was in Look to Windward, and Matter was a Culture book.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Plumps posted:

Which was the one where a guy gets chucked out into space and dies then 50000 years later aliens pick him up and defrost him and reanimate his corpse? I think it had the giant aliens that other aliens lived on, also the squid guys who played squash with live balls. Entertaining.

It was more like 250 million years. One galactic rotation iirc. The Culture was long gone by that point. Interesting question though because I tried to look for it and I can't remember either. I definitely read it a couple of times though. It might be an epilogue to one of the mainline books.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The part where Horza is stuck with the wierd cannibal cult and he kills the fat cannibal leader by letting him eat his fingers (cuz horzas blood is acid or poison or something?) was prob my favorite scene. That whole bit on the ringworld was awesome, really this book has so many amazing set pieces it’s shocking no one has tried to make a movie about it yet considering how popular SF is these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

free hubcaps posted:

The part where Horza is stuck with the wierd cannibal cult and he kills the fat cannibal leader by letting him eat his fingers (cuz horzas blood is acid or poison or something?) was prob my favorite scene. That whole bit on the ringworld was awesome, really this book has so many amazing set pieces it’s shocking no one has tried to make a movie about it yet considering how popular SF is these days

It's gonna be a series on Amazon now

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/consider-phlebas-iain-m-banks-amazon-novel-dennis-kelly-1202706327/

• Locked thread