Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

gotta love that we apparently live in one of those failed states where the leader just ignores laws at their convenience

If so, and Corbyn wins the subsequent election, could he just retroactively declare that it is still legally October?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
The people who Boris is targeting want the country to crash out; they don't like Britain circa 2019 and they want a do-over.

Current Tory orthodoxy is that Boris is more likely to win after NDB than before; completely insane if you zoom out from Westminster even slightly but that's just the new normal.

Going to the country for the 2nd time in 2 years on a platform of 'I'll do Brexit' isn't the most dynamic platform.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah, I thought there'd be a bit of a 'mission accomplished' feeling going on among the brexit gammonry, lowering turnout for the tories and leaving a gap for the people who fucken hate them, but you're right. poo poo.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Twitter isn't loading on my phone but the Guardian live feed has a tweet from Owen Smith, the almost Labour leader, saying we shouldn't hold a GE which is liked by less people than he had to beat off to win his wife

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

From a purely "out of body experience" point of view it's pretty interesting that we're watching what will be a pivotal moment in British history

on the other hand, preparing a collection of weapons for the violent revolution that's to come without getting a visit from the bobbies...

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Also the Tories went to the nation on a platform of 'we'll do Brexit', back when a land of milk and honey deal was still on the cards and with a leader who wasn't completely toxic to half the general population and got absolutely sat down.

Now it's Boris telling us we have to cliff edge Brexit right now and don't fear there will be adequate food for most of you; not exactly the sort of hope and change that wins elections.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Lord Ludikrous posted:

She gave it a go once with me, went down a hill at speed, crashed and took a load of skin off her forearm.
That’s what you’re supposed to do when you’re learning how to ride a bike. :shobon:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Whole day off so I could be around for the plumber to arrive because there's some problem with a leak in the pipe between the oil tank and the central heating system and apparently that's a job for the plumber? I dunno, was just told he'd arrive first thing and now it's 3:30 and I could have gone to slept for 2 hours longer, gone to town and back for some shopping and done all the dishes in the time I've been waiting. It's balls.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"Honey I know you've had bad experience before so let's keep this simple" *pushes partner down a hill* "DON'T FORGET: NEVER BRAKE THE FRONT WHEEL FIRST!"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

Whole day off so I could be around for the plumber to arrive because there's some problem with a leak in the pipe between the oil tank and the central heating system and apparently that's a job for the plumber? I dunno, was just told he'd arrive first thing and now it's 3:30 and I could have gone to slept for 2 hours longer, gone to town and back for some shopping and done all the dishes in the time I've been waiting. It's balls.

You.. You can do the dishes while waiting for the plumber.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

You.. You can do the dishes while waiting for the plumber.

I'm assuming it's more like *ding dong* "awww gently caress gently caress gently caress my hands are covered in suds and gravy" *rinses hands, hurriedly dries hands, runs to the front door in time to see van drive away with angry plumber*

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Election on Nov 1 so we've left the EU but the food hasn't run out yet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

Pikelets aren't crumpets, they're more like drop scones.
I'm going to save for a few years to buy this and then we'll see.

Pikelets are crumpets in North Wales and parts of the Midlands, it's from bara pyglyd, and the Welsh likely invented them. Sometimes they're slightly flatter crumpets baked without the ring, other times they're all crumpets. In Australia a pikelet is a type of pancake which I'm just going to add to the list of other things they're dangerously wrong about. A crempog otoh is a pancake.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I'm assuming it's more like *ding dong* "awww gently caress gently caress gently caress my hands are covered in suds and gravy" *rinses hands, hurriedly dries hands, runs to the front door in time to see van drive away with angry plumber*

You open the door with gravy and soapy hands to assert dominance.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

No, it's definitely more just me finding a half-excuse to procrastinate about doing the dishes and then pretending it's inconvenient to me because having a moan is fun.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Miftan posted:

You open the door with gravy and soapy hands to assert dominance.

I only ever open the door covered in nothing but gravy.

My dominance over plumbers and deliveroo drivers is supreme.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, I thought there'd be a bit of a 'mission accomplished' feeling going on among the brexit gammonry, lowering turnout for the tories and leaving a gap for the people who fucken hate them, but you're right. poo poo.

The thing is that I think what Boris is doing may well fire up a lot of the Brexit lot. The problem is that they aren't so pivital in a lot of places as they would like to be. Once again I do have to point out that it's been 2 years of folks not being able to get on with their lives and/or many tory voters passing away.

The likelyhood is that a fair amount of the "shy" Tories will probably vote Lib-Dem and Boris being yet another slug in a suit isn't as appealing to a lot of folks in the North even if he promises Brexit till his lips bleed.

The idea that we should give up is seductive because it absolves us of failure. The idea of hope is a better one because it pushes us to be more than we are.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hammond making a pretence of opposing alexander de pfeffel https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1168531442411999232

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

CRUMPET MENU:

The Churchill - They say this crumpet is the only thing Churchill ate in the bunker during the war.
Slow cooked veal/calf meat on crunchy sweet potato mash with a wine syrup

The Lord Balfour - The famous crumpet that Balfour ate before signing his famous declaration (editor's note: the declaration was assuring the jews in palestine that they'll be able to live there or something, it's very famous in Israel and is taught in high school history as a pivotal moment). They say he signed it with the leftover sauce.
Cubed goose in sichuan sauce on cabbage-turnip cream with herbs

The Stephen Hawking - His theory of black holes was based on the bubbles in the crumpet's dough.
Chopped liver on mash potatoes spiced with horse radish and onion jam

The Jeremy Corbyn - The Labour Party's flagship crumpet. For vegeterian leftists.
Crispy eggplant on cold salsa and pink tehini.

The Duchess Meghan Markle - The say that when she married Prince Harry they had Nutella crumpets instead of a wedding cake
Bananas tempura'd in salty chococlate crunch, whipped cream and nutella.

The John Cleese - The song 'always look on the bright side of life' was written about Cleese's favourite cheesecake crumpet
Cream cheese with hot fruit salad and balsamic vinegar

Elizabeth the 2nd - Th classic crumpet. Just like the queen has on saturday morning.
Butter, honey, and jam.

Corbyn the second most expensive thing on the menu (lol)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

The Lord Balfour - The famous crumpet that Balfour ate before signing his famous declaration (editor's note: the declaration was assuring the jews in palestine that they'll be able to live there or something, it's very famous in Israel and is taught in high school history as a pivotal moment).
Provided that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country.

Narrator: This did not happen.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Miftan posted:

CRUMPET MENU:

The Churchill - They say this crumpet is the only thing Churchill ate in the bunker during the war.
Slow cooked veal/calf meat on crunchy sweet potato mash with a wine syrup

The Lord Balfour - The famous crumpet that Balfour ate before signing his famous declaration (editor's note: the declaration was assuring the jews in palestine that they'll be able to live there or something, it's very famous in Israel and is taught in high school history as a pivotal moment). They say he signed it with the leftover sauce.
Cubed goose in sichuan sauce on cabbage-turnip cream with herbs

The Stephen Hawking - His theory of black holes was based on the bubbles in the crumpet's dough.
Chopped liver on mash potatoes spiced with horse radish and onion jam

The Jeremy Corbyn - The Labour Party's flagship crumpet. For vegeterian leftists.
Crispy eggplant on cold salsa and pink tehini.

The Duchess Meghan Markle - The say that when she married Prince Harry they had Nutella crumpets instead of a wedding cake
Bananas tempura'd in salty chococlate crunch, whipped cream and nutella.

The John Cleese - The song 'always look on the bright side of life' was written about Cleese's favourite cheesecake crumpet
Cream cheese with hot fruit salad and balsamic vinegar

Elizabeth the 2nd - Th classic crumpet. Just like the queen has on saturday morning.
Butter, honey, and jam.

Corbyn the second most expensive thing on the menu (lol)

This is a hate crime

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That just makes The Churchill fittingly named.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Continuity RCP posted:

This is a hate crime

I mean the translations are kinda wack because I'm not an expert on culinary stuff, but either way, yes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Beginning to think Israel might be bad

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Beginning to think Israel might be bad

tbh Israel is bad for other reasons, this is just fancy pants trained chefs trying to do a classic 'better' (read: more expensive). I still think Corbyn sounds delicious.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It’s not something she was allowed as a child, and her ex abused her frequently when trying to teach her as an adult.

She gave it a go once with me, went down a hill at speed, crashed and took a load of skin off her forearm.

It’s not a topic I’ve brought up again.

Now I'm getting flashbacks to the time when I tried learning roller skating. (I fell so bad I managed to knock myself out. After I woke up I decided to never try again.)

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
How the gently caress does 'crunchy mash' work? That's like saying fried soup or boiled sorbet damnit.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Continuity RCP posted:

This is a hate crime

Gotta be honest, would eat both Churchill and Lord Balfour

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

StarkingBarfish posted:

How the gently caress does 'crunchy mash' work? That's like saying fried soup or boiled sorbet damnit.

Eh, it's a bit of a weird translation since the word in hebrew is actually 'crunch' in English. I'd assume it's some sort of 'creamy' sweet potato (so mash) with crunchy bits in it, like teeny tiny fried sweet potatoes/skins maybe?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StarkingBarfish posted:

You can make crispy mash, that's mash where you take the foil off in the oven a few minutes towards the end so that the top gets browned. Helps if you run a fork across it first to make ridges. That's the top of a proper shepherd's pie.

I'm not sure if that's what they mean.

Also there's a Hawaiian Lahaina Fried Soup. And of course some madman from Lancashire has tried deep frying soup.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Shocked at the naked anti-Semitism of the left, those are some quality crumpets and I'd eat them all.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1168536686227316736

Lmao these people are dumb as gently caress. This whole thread is worth a read.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1168543706472943616

quote:

A source says draft legal text is just the existing protocol with the relevant articles on the backstop crossed out

:lol::lol:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

gotta love that we apparently live in one of those failed states where the leader just ignores laws at their convenience

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1168506187303784460

Calling an election for a reasonable date and then sneaking a new date in afterwards would be so insanely undemocratic it would be astonishing. I have a hard time believing that even Johnson would do that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Qwertycoatl posted:

Election on Nov 1 so we've left the EU but the food hasn't run out yet

But not until the disaster capitalists double or triple their worth from the inevitable bounce back on the stock exchange due to the country not going on fire the moment Brexit happens.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Gotta be honest, would eat both Churchill and Lord Balfour

Solid thread title material here

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

I have a hard time believing that even Johnson would do that.

I feel like this is going to be the motto for the next few months.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

We had an NI specific poll

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1168489976805429248?s=19

Puts alliance 13% ahead of the DUP in Belfast South (unsurprising as them holding this relies on heavy vote splitting between the non-DUP vote share) but also sees them run second to the DUP in Belfast East with a gap of only 2% (they won this seat once before) and lagging only 1% behind them in South Antrim, where they barely scrapped 8% at the last election but seem to be profiting from the wholesale collapse of the UUP.

Might be trick for SF to hold Foyle on those numbers also

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Miftan posted:

UKMT September 2019 - I still think Corbyn sounds delicious.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1168546988205518850

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

If Johnson wants an election does he need an act of parliament due to the FTPA?

If so it it amendable? As in add that we have to extend art 50 and revocation of the progroative power to move the date?