Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which character do you most want to play as?
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
A Toad
Toadette
A Yoshi
Nabbit
Bowsette
View Results

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hatty posted:

the hardest section for me was the vine whip one, everything else was manageable

yeah I barely used the vine whip at all during my playthrough so I’d pretty much forgotten how it works at that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Anyway I'm proud to say I will not be playing that level again

J/k I did it as Nabbit because that little freak cannot feel pain

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Color Printer posted:

My issue with this is sometimes it does not want to emote or blow up the item balloon and I don't know specifically what causes it.

(If anyone wants to try this, I recommending mapping the emote button (or item balloon button) to something like ZL in the switch settings so you don't have to juggle pressing/holding three face buttons. But this may actually be causing my problem somehow, I have no idea)

An easier way to do this is to add a second local player once you get to the invis section. The first player has a crown icon over them that's always visible, so you don't need to mash emote. Have one of the players be a Yoshi and the other player can ride them so you only need to control the Yoshi. Note you need to be offline or the game won't let you change player count mid-level.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

your character leaves behind a white trail whenever they bounce off something or do a midair twirl, just use that to see where you are

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I can't check right now but can you move while holding the emoticon menu open?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nope.
Also you can’t emote if you’re holding the Y button

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I beat Bowser last night. This might change based on the special world and the other levels I skipped but right now I would put this behind World, Yoshi's Island and NSMBU as my favorite 2D Marios. I could see it topping NSMBU because I thought this was the best boss world in a Mario game, it just felt significantly more creative and fun than the rest of the game which I already enjoyed.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

100%ed it today. Short but very fun. I thought the invisibility part in the last challenge wasn't as bad as the spring jump.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Spring jump was by far the most frustrating. I'm definitely bad at games though. I also wound up cheesing the invisibility one by having my hori joy cons turbo spam the emote button because gently caress those blomps at the end. If it was just a small flat platform it would be one thing, but you can hit those things at a bad angle and be hosed. I definitely got to the point where I was cruise controlling the run/spin/vine levels leading up to it though.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

MassRafTer posted:

I beat Bowser last night. This might change based on the special world and the other levels I skipped but right now I would put this behind World, Yoshi's Island and NSMBU as my favorite 2D Marios. I could see it topping NSMBU because I thought this was the best boss world in a Mario game, it just felt significantly more creative and fun than the rest of the game which I already enjoyed.

drat, NSMBU over Wonder? I would agree with your top 2 but I'd reverse NSMBU and Wonder for me. The latter is just too charming, but I'm also biased after years of the 2D mario series looking the same.

(I feel the need to say that I still think NSMBU is a fantastic game!!)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think NSMBU is very clearly a better platformer than Wonder. Wonder, as a game, is very clearly interested in doing something other than serving up interesting Mario levels. It barely even explores the badge mechanics that could each sustain ~a world each, because it's just not what the game is interested in. It's fun and creative and incredibly charming, but I feel like five years from now if I want to replay a Mario, I'll pull out U before I pull out Wonder.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
That is very fair and not much I can argue against, especially considering I just bought a copy of U Deluxe to play on my Switch, because I hate using the Wii U.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think NSMBU is very clearly a better platformer than Wonder. Wonder, as a game, is very clearly interested in doing something other than serving up interesting Mario levels. It barely even explores the badge mechanics that could each sustain ~a world each, because it's just not what the game is interested in. It's fun and creative and incredibly charming, but I feel like five years from now if I want to replay a Mario, I'll pull out U before I pull out Wonder.

Yeah, I would agree with this. NSMBU is super refined Mario platforming and I love Mario platforming. Wonder is really really fun but something about it doesn't cause me to want to play huge chunks of it at once. Maybe I'll get sucked in on a replay, but as it is, I don't know if I'll feel the urge to speed run it like World or U or just fall completely in love with it like Yoshi's Island

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Going back through some levels to satisfy my remaining completionist urges and noticing how often you can absolutely bound through to get to the one remaining purple coin or perfected flag jump. Smooth speedrunning design, I guess?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay I got all royal seeds, just about finished with the game!

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Wonder feels like the #1 question on the design whiteboard was "How do we now make a 2D Mario game that could not possibly be significantly replicated in Mario Maker" which leads to a lot of incredible creativity and fun but the core Mario platforming does get a little bit lost in the chaos of hundreds of new ideas. I'm still loving it (not at the end yet, had a busy few weeks) but I'd agree that something like U or World is what I'm more likely to go back to in future when I'm specifically looking to scratch a Mario platforming itch

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One thing that struck me is the sheer number of enemies and obstacles that only appear for one level. I'd kind of love a Mario game that took alot of these elements and mixed them up more thoroughly through the game, like the birds that shoot temporary platforms out of their beaks or thr little assholes who kick objects at you have potential but aeem to appear precisely once and don't get any elaboration on how they could be used in levels

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Raylax posted:

"How do we now make a 2D Mario game that could not possibly be significantly replicated in Mario Maker"

There's at least one level that is effectively a better version of a Mario Maker I (and many other people) made (in a way that couldn't actually be replicated in Mario Maker). That level concept is "There are a bunch of platforms you have to ride, but uh, oh, enemies keep getting dropped onto them!"

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
then we get Mario Wondermaker, and then they gotta make a new Mario that can't be made in THAT, and then

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Mario Wonder last night. Ready for a new 3D Mario now, please.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

then we get Mario Wondermaker, and then they gotta make a new Mario that can't be made in THAT, and then

Misread that as "Mario Widowmaker" and that would be a very different game. Mario all running an asbestos removal company, not providing adequate PPE for his staff.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

BrokenLink posted:

Those respawn if you game over, alternatively you can just do the jet boots 1 stage, gets you 13-ish coins fairly quickly.
Thanks for this. I need it to buy myself 99 lives because I wasted my money on completing the standee collection before finishing all the levels.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Flint_Paper posted:

Misread that as "Mario Widowmaker" and that would be a very different game. Mario all running an asbestos removal company, not providing adequate PPE for his staff.

That goomba was serene because he was thinking of his wife

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
getting pretty close to finishing all teh courses, won't do all the coins and top of poles since there's a Like A Dragon dropping this very same week. Very nervous about the jumping to the beat one in the special world!! I fluked it once and got to the end but without the wonder seed!! and I know i'll need to get that seed to see the final course!!!

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

MorningMoon posted:

getting pretty close to finishing all teh courses, won't do all the coins and top of poles since there's a Like A Dragon dropping this very same week. Very nervous about the jumping to the beat one in the special world!! I fluked it once and got to the end but without the wonder seed!! and I know i'll need to get that seed to see the final course!!!

I dunno if we’re doing spoilers about this kinda thing but just in case
You need all those coins and poles you said you weren’t getting to see the final-final course

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I said come in! posted:

Finished Mario Wonder last night. Ready for a new 3D Mario now, please.

I'm going through 3D World right now, and I'm not loving it. I've died so many times because of the camera angles.

The first 3D Mario I played was Odyssey, and it's so much better than this.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm going through 3D World right now, and I'm not loving it. I've died so many times because of the camera angles.

3D World is basically a 2D platformer style translated into 3D, instead of the more puzzle/discovery (but still platformer heavy) style of most "3D Marios". I think it's still very fun and it has a phenomenal soundtrack, probably the best one since Galaxy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tender Bender posted:

3D World is basically a 2D platformer style translated into 3D, instead of the more puzzle/discovery (but still platformer heavy) style of most "3D Marios". I think it's still very fun and it has a phenomenal soundtrack, probably the best one since Galaxy.

It's such a fun game and especially so in four player.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

Odyssey is my favorite Mario game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It's such a fun game and especially so in four player.

They should make another game in the 3D Land/World series honestly (I kind of like the standard “get to the goal” Mario games more than the puzzle/collectathon oriented ones personally, though I still had fun with Odyssey in spite of that)

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

BrokenLink posted:

Just 100%ed this, pretty fun, but I ended up having to do the final bonus stage three times (spoilers for one of the bonus levels) because they thought it was cute to have a finicky jump for the flag-pole while you're INVISIBLE.
I can safely say I'm firmly sick of flag-poles as the goal marker.

Do you need the final flagpole to get the final prize?

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

dirby posted:

Do you need the final flagpole to get the final prize?

Yeah you need the flagpole to get the final prize, if you miss it the first time there is no shame in using nabbit to get through most of it easier.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

That's a wrap for me. In the end I needed to look up how to get the special world secret exits for world's 3 and 5, and then felt perfectly justified in that because both those were really dumb.

Great game, felt like playing World again and poking at a world of secrets.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I may have just completed climb to the beat and rested at the top of the climb so that I missed the wonder seed.
I've been doing a lot of screaming today.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

I may have just completed climb to the beat and rested at the top of the climb so that I missed the wonder seed.

LOL thats the level that made me realize "oh, the reviews lied to me, this ain't for kids"

between that and the sudden difficulty/challenge increase with certain levels/secrets that confound me/weird poo poo that I appear to have missed, it's def the most challenging 2D mario i've played.

Stupacabra
Nov 11, 2021

read Merry Hell

Pinterest Mom posted:

This is where I’m at. The NSMB series is, for me, more or less unimpeachable. Wonder is closer to something like Donkey Kong Country, with its gimmick-focused levels. That’s not a bad thing, just different, but it’s a thing I personally don’t enjoy as much.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

DalaranJ posted:

Did the same lol (though I did try and grab it, just ran out of time)

Gritted through eventually, won't do final-final course given the requirements but otherwise excellent game, I loved getting my balls punched and just all the style and whimsy involved.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Larryb posted:

They should make another game in the 3D Land/World series honestly (I kind of like the standard “get to the goal” Mario games more than the puzzle/collectathon oriented ones personally, though I still had fun with Odyssey in spite of that)

I love that we got more with that engine but I do hope they eventually revist that style of 2D inspired 3D gameplay because it's very different and fun.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

BrokenLink posted:

Yeah you need the flagpole to get the final prize, if you miss it the first time there is no shame in using nabbit to get through most of it easier.

Thanks. I had to do two Nabbit runs to get the flagpole, and also cheated on the final segment of even my first run where I used a normal character by hanging a wire over my TV at your horizontal location, but I did it. I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mario Wonder feels like every solution to a secret hidden thing is reached either by looking closely at a stage layout or just telling yourself "the normal rules do not apply." The solution to getting the final coin in that first Search Party level was such a hilarious/lovely thing to pull because it involved something you'd probably never think to try---something that's not even really a "mechanic" in mario games iirc.

Much of the NSMB games feel like they were put together with tilesets by interns--they have some good moments but I remember virtually nothing about them now. In terms of platforming and creativity I'd probably put 3D Land/3D World over those 4 games; 3D World is probably still one of the best because I remember being surprised at how the game just kept going and going. I'd be cool with either another bigger Odyssey game or a spiritual sequel to 3D World next---I like how all of them have exploration and secrets in common.