Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which character do you most want to play as?
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
A Toad
Toadette
A Yoshi
Nabbit
Bowsette
View Results

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

What is Super Mario Bros. Wonder?
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the first Nintendo designed* 2D side scrolling Mario platformer in a decade!

When is Super Mario Bros. Wonder?
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is releasing worldwide on October 20th, 2023.

Where is Super Mario Bros. Wonder?
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is only on the Nontendo Swartch Nintendo Switch.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder takes place in the Flower Kingdom, which contains six different worlds connected by a hub world, the Petal Isles.

Who is Super Mario Bros. Wonder?
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is produced by long time Mario series producer Takashi Tezuka, and directed by Shiro Mouri who also directed the most recent New Super Mario Bros. game.

In Super Mario Bros. Wonder you can play as Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, a Yellow Toad, a Blue Toad**, or Toadette. All of these characters play the same. In addition, you can play as a character that can't be hurt by enemies but doesn't get to use powerups. These characters are Yoshis which also have access to flutter jump, and Nabbit who turns powerups into flower coins.

Why is Super Mario Bros. Wonder?
Takashi Tezuka stated in an interview that the goal of Super Mario Bros. Wonder is to bring back the exciting surprise of playing a Mario game and seeing things you had never experienced before.

How is Super Mario Bros. Wonder?
Everyone who played the preview seemed to like it, although it seems like there's probably some bias to an invitation only event for journalists.

Journalist tested

Space Fish posted:

I played the demo at Nintendo Live and loved it, though I have the bias of being the sort of person who can put their life on hold to attend Nintendo Live based on the results of an online raffle.
Space Fish approved

(*Super Mario Maker and Super Mario Maker 2 released in the last decade.)
(** Toads have no names. They've lost name privileges. They know what they did.)

About the game
Prince Florian has invited his friends from the Mushroom Kingdom to visit him in the Flower Kingdom, but just when they get there the evil Bowser Koopa arrives to steal the power of the Wonder Flower, transforming the princes castle into his evil fortress. Mario and his friends will have to collect all the Wonder Seeds spread around the kingdom in order to restore the Flower Kingdom to it's former state. (Why do they have to collect Wonder Seeds to do this? It's unclear!)

When you find a Wonder Flower in a level, it will active a Wonder Effect. These are bizarre changes that can affect the players, the enemies or even the entire level. Pipes come to life, you transform into a goomba, there's an enemy stampede, each level is different! Usually Wonder Effects will lead to finding a unique Wonder Seed.

Powerups
In addition to the classic Super Mushroom, Super Star and Fire Flower, Super Mario Bros. Wonder features (at least) three new powerups.

Elephant Fruit
The elephant fruit will turn you into an elephant with the power to smash right through blocks like some sort of Wario. You'll also be able to swat enemies with your trunk or spray things down with a trunk full of water.

Bubble Flower
The bubble flower will give you the power to shoot bubbles which can be used to bounce off of, or to capture enemies inside turning them into coins.

Drill Mushroom
The drill mushroom will give you the power to submerge into the floor or ceiling and to smash through certain crystal blocks. In addition, you can block some falling objects with the drill part of the hat.

Badges
Your group can also take a single 'badge' into a stage. There are 24 badges of three different types. Action badges give you access to an additional type of action like a vertical wall jump or a vine grappling hook, boost badges grant a passive ability such as a magnet that pulls in coins around you, and expert badges add a challenge condition to the game such as the characters always running.

Coop Gaming
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a strand game.
There are several modes to play Super Mario Bros. Wonder with other people.
You can play local 'couch' coop with up to four people. You won't collide with other players in your coop session, but you can hitch a ride on a Yoshi character to be carried across a dangerous section of the level. If you die, you'll turn into a ghost and can be brought back to life without losing a life if another player reaches you fast enough.
You can play online without being in a lobby. In this mode you will see other players as transparent outlines playing the level with you. They can also save your ghost if you die. In addition, people can leave 'standees' to serve as checkpoints.
A third way to play is to form an online lobby with up to twelve players. In this mode up to four people can join a level to play coop (but only two per console), or you can race against other players to see who can reach the goal first.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

seems pretty good looking. certainly more soul than the NSMB series presentation. mite nab

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
https://twitter.com/Everdraed/status/1697386556691186045

Game looks good

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I'm thinking about, why would the online lobbies by 12 people?
The sane answer to that question is they based it off their knowledge of their own networking capabilities and the performance demands of the game.
But this is Nintendo.

Did you know that Super Mario Bros. Wonder features 12 unique playable characters?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Wowie (and bear with me here) Zowie

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
I just noticed that the new guy is basically a little Wiggler.
I guess flower kingdom is Wiggler hometown.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
https://twitter.com/rihanna/status/488434293996552192?lang=en

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Idk why people are so hot for Daisy. Gimme Rosalina any day of the week.

Anyway game looks good

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyway game looks good

Uhhh, because, hi, she's Daisy?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sort of a pity that from what I hear, aside from Yoshi and Nabbit being invincible nobody except Yoshi will have any sort of natural extra ability in this game (meaning no hovering for Peach, no extra speed for Toad, no floaty jump with Luigi, etc). Though there is a badge that gives you Luigi physics at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 21, 2023

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyway game looks good

Rosalina is my favorite of the 3. But giving me Daisy with the goofy Luigi physics badge is a big selling point for me.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Larryb posted:

Sort of a pity that from what I hear, aside from Yoshi and Nabbit being invincible nobody except Yoshi will have any sort of natural extra ability in this game (meaning no hovering for Peach, no extra speed for Toad, no floaty jump with Luigi, etc)

I believe the idea is that those abilities all still in the game, but are medals. So if you want the Peach hover, it's there, but you can assign it to anyone.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pigma_Micron posted:

I believe the idea is that those abilities all still in the game, but are medals. So if you want the Peach hover, it's there, but you can assign it to anyone.

Yeah that's a good compromise at least. Do we know if you can equip multiple badges or just one at a time?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
From what I've heard, one at a time but you can swap them out very fast and easy between levels

I'm hoping "one at a time" is upgradeable or just for demo purposes or something

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

From what I've heard, one at a time but you can swap them out very fast and easy between levels

I'm hoping "one at a time" is upgradeable or just for demo purposes or something

Yeah, if you can use more than one then Luigi Physics + Peach Hover seems like it'd be a useful combination

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Larryb posted:

Yeah that's a good compromise at least. Do we know if you can equip multiple badges or just one at a time?

The group chooses one badge at a time and it applies to everyone in the level. You choose your badge at the start of each level.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
if you could combine crouching high jump + peach or luigi jumps, it'd be like playing in Mario Bros 2 mode

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DalaranJ posted:

How is Super Mario Bros. Wonder?
Everyone who played the preview seemed to like it, although it seems like there's probably some bias to an invitation only event for journalists.

I played the demo at Nintendo Live and loved it, though I have the bias of being the sort of person who can put their life on hold to attend Nintendo Live based on the results of an online raffle.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Space Fish posted:

Great, I put you in the op!

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyway game looks good

It's the flower kingdom, Daisy has a home field advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljx3QQ4uApg

Here's a nice compilation video of some of the gameplay we've been seeing recently.
I don't think anything is strictly new here.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’ll be in Amsterdam on release day, looking forward to hunting down a physical copy to become my first game bought overseas (and to playing it on the flight home, of course) :toot:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'd like to be able to play as a yoshi who isn't immune to damage. maybe it could have been boshi, for marketing synergy.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Great, I put you in the op!

It's the flower kingdom, Daisy has a home field advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljx3QQ4uApg

Here's a nice compilation video of some of the gameplay we've been seeing recently.
I don't think anything is strictly new here.

Happy for the trend of Nintendo VOs sing-songing Daisy's name.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Cavauro posted:

i'd like to be able to play as a yoshi who isn't immune to damage. maybe it could have been boshi, for marketing synergy.

if yoshi is immune to damage, boshi would have to be like, double immune to damage

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Here are some TV trailers from the the Nintendo SEA channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rHNaGWrq1k
POWER OF ELEPHANT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqXquFkJps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmVmwqDsrr4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj8X8RY0Ics

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I only have two complaints so far

1.) The bubble flower is just a recolored fire flower, come on. It looks like some poo poo you would see on one of those weird fan wikis that just make up games

2.) That Yoshi face. Why

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lunatic Sledge posted:

2.) That Yoshi face. Why

Yoshi discovers a bee allergy after eating one. Or they're going back to their roots, and this is his Popeye impression.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

1.) The bubble flower is just a recolored fire flower, come on. It looks like some poo poo you would see on one of those weird fan wikis that just make up games

Wait til you see the ice flower

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I've been thinking about the fact that none of the revealed powerups are flight powerups. In SMB3 and SMW, there was such a powerup to demonstrate the ability to screen scroll in multiple dimensions at the same time. I suppose that was impressive at the time, but I'm wondering if they've moved away from doing that for gameplay reasons?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

elephants can fly

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I would bet that there's a wonder gimmick that's flight-based but they generally want you to play the levels they've made. In the New series, flight usually stuck with the propeller suit, which was more limited than the tail or cape.

also barely related but speedruns for old mario games that just abuse flight are so boring. i wanna see you interact with the stage!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Hwurmp posted:

elephants can fly

I've seen a horse fly, I've seen a dragonfly, I've seen a house fly-- I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band, and seen a needle wink its eye. ...But I be done seen about everything if I see an elephant fly

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

News is going round that you can play SMB Wonder at game kiosks in retail stores now.
I also heard that there’s going to be big event the night before release at Nintendo New York.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I hit up a couple GameStops this weekend (tracking down a gift) and can confirm. No giant lines for them, but people were exploring every last inch of the levels from what I could notice.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1710867874531905817

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

(From the Rolling Stone article)
On the introduction of Daisy as a playable character in the mainline series, producer Shiro Mouri says, “I have two daughters and whenever it comes time to select characters, there was always a fight between who gets to control Peach. They really got into a fight. And so with the introduction of Daisy, I’m hoping that this will allow for a more peaceful household.”

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I have this pet hypothesis that the new-character-freeze for Mario was for the benefit of the movie. So, hopefully, now that the movie has come and gone, Mario gets to be weird and fun again.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/1711916074701312475
Nintendo said, "yeah, Bowser is down bad for this."

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Hogama posted:

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/1711916074701312475
Nintendo said, "yeah, Bowser is down bad for this."

Lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they knew what they were doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Orange Piccolo is still even cooler than Elephant Mario, but I do like seeing new power ups and higher power levels. This could be quite the game.

The strand thing is interesting, I'd like more Kojima in all my games thank you. I wonder if you can switch back and forth from a regular single player mode and the mode with the online ghosts and extra checkpoints etc.