Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

3 entire paragraphs responding to a post he didnt understand

panda clue posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Lol.

Is it so hard to understand that the fast dodgy character should have significantly less health (120 vs 140 in your example, lol)
and do less damage per hit than the slow "tanky" characters?

Have you.. ever played a fighting game?
Zangief has almost double the HP of akuma and guess whos low tier?

The hilarious mechanical advantage all the assassins have over every single class outside of warden is laughable, adding on the fact they actually do MORE damage then the heavies while having almost 90% of their hp pool is a joke.

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Speaking of range, the visible panic when a Nobushi learns you can out range her with Conqueror, the hard way. :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

7c Nickel posted:

This tracks with my experience as a Raider where it's not even worth it to try and block a Peacekeeper when they go into light attack spam mode. Just roll away and try to reengage on better terms.

What the gently caress

This is a pretty big deal that the game doesn't mention at all. Not sure what to do about it either. I don't think its possible to react to move cancels with the Shugoki's frames.

It also doesn't seem to be consistent at all. It looks like the characters with longer weapons have slower frames. But the Kensei has a relatively long weapon with the fastest guard frames???

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Well this ones new, throw guy off ledge, plays the "whoopsie daisy" teetering animation, falls off the edge a bit, then warps back up guy recovers, hear his falling death noise, then he throws me off the edge to my death.

blehhhh

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Trillhouse posted:

A light attack spamming PK is something I don't think I'm physically capable of blocking with the slower characters.

You're not, PK flailing their arms at the slower guarding characters is just flat out faster than they can switch for.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So the slower heavy characters have worse dodging and mobility and worse guarding. That seems fundamentally flawed.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Thanks for that guard switch frame info because I am trying way too hard to switch parry poo poo last minute.

Non fighting game stuff-- man I really wish the warden had a thrusting attack, just visually. I can't think of a single attack wardens do involving a thrust and that's half the point (heh) of the whole woOoooah he's holding the blade with his hand?! thing

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Doesn't Warden thrust when hitting soldiers though? :v:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So the slower heavy characters have worse dodging and mobility and worse guarding. That seems fundamentally flawed.

lol this explains why Lawbringer and Raider suck so bad. Shugoki gets away ok though because of super armor and the backbreaker and generally good attacks, and Nobushi is just quick as poo poo, has bleeds, hidden stance, etc. Raider and Lawbringer don't have dick.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Trillhouse posted:

Yeah. I think it's kind of dumb that assassins get better blocks AND dodges. A light attack spamming PK is something I don't think I'm physically capable of blocking with the slower characters.

They attack from the direction they dodge, and blocking lights gives you enough time to bring the fight to your pace. Also, move the fight to tighter corridors. Cant tell you how many pks ive murdered after they dodge into a wall.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol this explains why Lawbringer and Raider suck so bad. Shugoki gets away ok though because of super armor and the backbreaker and generally good attacks, and Nobushi is just quick as poo poo, has bleeds, hidden stance, etc. Raider and Lawbringer don't have dick.

Raider dodge into light is wicked fast and far better than a block or parry for setups.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

Not gonna lie balance in the game is whack

Like there is absolutely a god tier(warden) and hes god tier +++
and there is absolutely a trash tier(valk) and shes trash tier +++

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

MinibarMatchman posted:

It makes no sense to me that these should be my two favorite classes

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Raider dodge into light is wicked fast and far better than a block or parry for setups.

setup to what? I'd rather just pick orochi, berserker, kensei, and peacekeeper if I loved to used dodge attacks over parry + have other tricks. Raider needs some other cool moves that don't lose in an exchange

signalnoise posted:

It makes no sense to me that these should be my two favorite classes

I love playing as Raider just for his skullmask and gear but in 1v1 or 2v2 I feel it's more work to play as him. Lawbringer though I wish was more like Kensei

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 24, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

1500 posted:

Also as a Valk main I really hope they fix her.

Yeah :( I've almost got her to prestige 3, mostly because I want that fully sick Casey Jones mask that unlocks then, but once I do that I'll probably put her on the backburner and focus on another character.

Kinda bums me out that unlocking cool looking gear via rep levels of per character. Would be neat if your rep level was just account wide, and getting there unlocked dress up bits for everyone. Seems like it'd give the player more incentive to try other characters instead of grinding them one at a time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah :( I've almost got her to prestige 3, mostly because I want that fully sick Casey Jones mask that unlocks then, but once I do that I'll probably put her on the backburner and focus on another character.

Kinda bums me out that unlocking cool looking gear via rep levels of per character. Would be neat if your rep level was just account wide, and getting there unlocked dress up bits for everyone. Seems like it'd give the player more incentive to try other characters instead of grinding them one at a time.

But then you wouldn't buy boosters. In your full price AAA game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's no reason to buy boosters for cosmetics at low levels though. You can't get all of the gear until you hit prestige 3.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

My condolences.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

setup to what? I'd rather just pick orochi, berserker, kensei, and peacekeeper if I loved to used dodge attacks over parry + have other tricks. Raider needs some other cool moves that don't lose in an exchange

I love playing as Raider just for his skullmask and gear but in 1v1 or 2v2 I feel it's more work to play as him. Lawbringer though I wish was more like Kensei

Anything besides the unblockable really. Blocking/parrying a side heavy with fuzzy vision aint easy. Let alone light attacks or a guard break.

The difference here is that raider needs one dodge to reset the fight and change it to her pace, while those other classes need to keep dodging ad nauseum.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

*tryhard post*
I'll toss this in here, my personal tier list of the classes(and of course my opinion only). Mainly pertains to duels but I guess a lot of it carries over to other modes, but I don't know much about the class feats and how it plays into it. Based off an ungodly amount of duels and me setting up private matches with people who are quite good at their chosen class and playing sets.

God tier:
Warden - stands alone at the top of the mountain. Like even forgetting the vortex for a moment his top light is fast, and when you get crushing counterstrike its better than any parry damage you could get. Zone attack is lightning fast and effectively unreactable, and the vortex is the vortex. Best you can hope for is you are a class with a dashing attack then it just becomes a different kind of guessing game as he can feint the shoulder and then parry your side dash attack. God forbid you are cornered cause then you just have to eat it until warden runs out of stamina.

A tier:
Peacekeeper - Pure speed is basically it. Tied for fastest light attack starters, the light followups are effectively unreactable. Zone attack is unreactable. Basically Wolverine.
Orochi - 2 move offense, zone and top light. Top light guarantees more damage than anyone else while being in that fast category, zone is effectively unreactable. Mix and match the two while having fun stuff like evasion stance into hit/guardbreak mixup.
Warlord - Headbutt.

One note for the rest

B tier:
Berserker - Only here by virtue of not being as good as the other two assassins.
Kensei - Too reliant on top light to get anything real started, everything else slow.
Lawbringer - One trick pony(decent trick though)
Shugoki - slow and not much offense*
Nobushi: - Range is fun, but zero tracking on anything and easily dodged.

C tier:
Raider - side heavy into pommel cancel all raider has going for it.
Conqueror - Best thing about the class is unlike everyone else, their shield bash stuff in combo's will cause wall bounce, that's about it.

Valkyrie tier:
Valkyrie - lol

*Some people wildly disagree with me on the Shugoki and would put it only below Warden due to the fact you can just trade-react with people.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 24, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fadam posted:

I dont think its a coincidence the classes that have the most options (Warlord, Orochi, PK, Warlord) are good and the one dimensional ones (Raider, Conqueror, LB) are bad.

Except Warden is super simple and possibly the most OP class in the game? :v: Not that simple.

Internet Kraken posted:

So what am I supposed to do as one of those characters versus something like the Raider's side-into-top fakeout? It feels like you can't switch guards fast enough to block the switch so you have to gamble on if they are going to stay on the side or go top.

Yep, that's called a mixup.

The top light doesn't hit too hard, but then it dazes you which is fun.

Internet Kraken posted:

Heavy characters also get more health to begin with, but overall the slower characters do feel more noob-friendly and less effective at high level play.

Still though, IDK. There's more stuff going on. I still get killed by good Shugoki players.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 24, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Double Monocle posted:

Lol.

Is it so hard to understand that the fast dodgy character should have significantly less health (120 vs 140 in your example, lol)
and do less damage per hit than the slow "tanky" characters?

Have you.. ever played a fighting game?
Zangief has almost double the HP of akuma and guess whos low tier?

The hilarious mechanical advantage all the assassins have over every single class outside of warden is laughable, adding on the fact they actually do MORE damage then the heavies while having almost 90% of their hp pool is a joke.

Other people have explained why you're wrong. You're welcome to just completely ignore them and make yourself look a wiseass doofus, but the facts stand.

Balance is built around a hell of a lot more than "big guy move slow hit hard have big health, small guy move fast hit light have small health". Is that so hard to understand? No one is saying balance in the game is perfect, but your argument is incredibly stupid.

Also, looking at this post from you in this very thread

Double Monocle posted:

I wanted to make a large effortpost on why lawbringer is actually pretty drat good but then I realized I want people to think he's bad so the poo poo he can actually do continues to shock people.

Pro tip- if you exhaust an enemy with your parry, the follow up unblockable heavy is also unavoidable and does like 50% of an assassins HP.

it looks like you just got beat by a few Orochi's who are better than you and just came here to cry about it rather than Getting Good.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 24, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'd say Conqueror is definitively not the bottom of the heap. After all, the runner up in the last 1v1 tourney was a Conq main.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
balance be damned I :love: my warden/warlord and I don't even win with them

Aesis posted:

Doesn't Warden thrust when hitting soldiers though? :v:

Ah there it is, I knew I remember some animation with it. Man now I'm dreaming of sweet rear end executions where warden jams it into guy's throat, then switches both hands to the pommel and drives straight upward and pops the head clean off :unsmigghh:

Need more executions.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

Except Warden is super simple and possibly the most OP class in the game? :v: Not that simple.

Warden is straightforward to play but he still has a lot of things to work with. The fact that the shoulder bash can be canceled adds a lot more options to his arsenal.

7c Nickel posted:

I'd say Conqueror is definitively not the bottom of the heap. After all, the runner up in the last 1v1 tourney was a Conq main.

I loving hate Conqueror's because I play Shugoki and all they do is wait to parry me :qq:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

7c Nickel posted:

A) tournament results necessarily not indicative of the characters being used, but rather of the players using them.
B) If that's the one I watched everyone was pretty ehhhhhh anyway.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So what does the asterisk next to a gear item mean?

Does it have better stats, or is it just a unique look?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Revenge spam is even ridiculous in bot matches :cripes:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Warden is straightforward to play but he still has a lot of things to work with. The fact that the shoulder bash can be canceled adds a lot more options to his arsenal.

I loving hate Conqueror's because I play Shugoki and all they do is wait to parry me :qq:

Warden is stupid easy to beat though after maybe one round of losing to it. Everyone has a preferred attack direction you can parry or block and the cancel into guardbreak is stupid easy to tech as someone who can never loving gb cancel anything else.

Funnily as a Conq player I hate Shugoki because you can eat a charged heavy while doing your back breaker and get an instant kill.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Why can t I just play elimination? Why do I have to be forced to pay skirmish?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nasgate posted:

Funnily as a Conq player I hate Shugoki because you can eat a charged heavy while doing your back breaker and get an instant kill.

What's stopping you from just dodging away instead of attacking when he tries to embrace you?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Two Feet From Bread posted:

You can set your "favourite" to be elimination before you go into matchmaking, but it isn't a guarantee sadly.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Two Feet From Bread posted:

When you vote for the next map, gametypes are included in the map description. Vote for an Elimination map, and you shouldn't have to worry about being forced to play Skirmish anymore.

For some reason, unless I'm just missing it somehow, voting is only post-game. So the first time you jump into the Deathmatch thing you don't have a choice, but after that you can vote to not play Skirmish anymore.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So do different characters have different recovery frames for grabs too? Something I've noticed is that if I whiff a grab as Shugoki because I was an inch too far, the enemy will get a free guardbreak on me in response. When this happens to other players though it seems like they can always counter my guardbreak when I try.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

7c Nickel posted:

This tracks with my experience as a Raider where it's not even worth it to try and block a Peacekeeper when they go into light attack spam mode. Just roll away and try to reengage on better terms.

Poor Raider.

Thanks for posting this though, I thought I was just poo poo at blocking quick attacks. But it turns out I'm just a retard who mains Raider and god drat you have to work for every single hit vs a good opponent.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The switch frame rate being high for assassins isn't that huge because assassin's can't hold their stance for blocks. They have to time blocks. There's been plenty of times where I switch in time for my opponent's attack but still get hit because I didn't time the block properly.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

What's stopping you from just dodging away instead of attacking when he tries to embrace you?

Not constantly thinking about the armor. My reaction to every other class using an unblockable is to punish them with a charged flail attack. Fighting a Shugoki is a larger change of style than between fighting any other hero as a Conq.

Doltos posted:

The switch frame rate being high for assassins isn't that huge because assassin's can't hold their stance for blocks. They have to time blocks. There's been plenty of times where I switch in time for my opponent's attack but still get hit because I didn't time the block properly.

Looking closer, now it makes sense why omni block seems to cost more stamina for Warlord than Conq, he doesn't need it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So you can guardbreak the Shugoki guaranteed after he hits you with his charged heavy even if you were on the ground.

How the gently caress is that fair.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Once you realize that Conqueror's secret hero power is A loving Wall you can go totally super saiyan with him.

You can also side dodge into shield bash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
On the ps4 I've switched my l1 and sqaure and put guard mode on r3 from the console menu and toggle lock. other then unlocking your target sometimes which could be corrected I'm having a better time reacting to attacks and guard breaks.