Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That was a lovely move on Valve's part. I mod Stalker games, and I've never asked for a penny, and probably never will, because I enjoy the games and making cool stuff for them is fun and people's enjoyment is all the payment I need :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This will change the scene because a paid scene is much shallower than a free one, it's not the first scene this happens to.

The only good thing that will come out of this is publishers starting releasing mod tools for their new free employees creating content for them at 75% off. I also can't wait for paid patching/fixing mods.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
And people deserve money for them and it is fine. The problem I see is that some people actually do some professional level poo poo when it comes to mods, it's not always spectacular garbage as others claim. Just 90% of it. :v:
I think people have the right to set their price and customers the right to not pay for it.
Wait for a free mod or make it yourself, I dunno.

I do think it's terrible that Valve/dev takes such a gigantic cut. But technically the devs did make thr game so modding would be impossible without them soooo. We will see how it gets fixed as time goes by. Or not.
I play Dota and I have to pay for everything I like that gets put into the game so it is not new for me. :shobon:

Also thread is moving fast, I wad wrong about Dota whoops.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ddraig posted:

That was a lovely move on Valve's part. I mod Stalker games, and I've never asked for a penny, and probably never will, because I enjoy the games and making cool stuff for them is fun and people's enjoyment is all the payment I need :shobon:
No fishing for steam gifts :colbert:

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Ddraig posted:

It's probably an experiment to determine how they should handle Dota 2's custom games.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Can't wait to buy limited time coupons to play Pudge Wars in 2015.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Ddraig posted:

Is Ddraig your slave name? Maybe stop "working" for free just because it's fun, because you're ruining the modding scene for the entrepreneurs who won't get by without the hundreds of dollars that they'll never see.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also just a reminder that modders only get paid when they sell more than $100 worth of content and that will only transfer after 3 months. So yeah, that guy who worked so hard on his $1 sword is not going to finally make some change out of it, lol.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

April 30: Stealth Inc 2 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/329380/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_2

Also Canabalt apparently?? http://store.steampowered.com/app/358960/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_2

a game where you are a cat - http://store.steampowered.com/app/329860/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_3

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

None of this will actually get money put into the pockets of modders, because let's all be honest: there will be sites with stolen mods coming around in short order.

I would bet that someone is putting together a torrent of Skyrim mods right now.

So yeah, I don't really see how this benefits anyone.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Reminder: people pay for sponsored extreem content like this:

http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/20784?r=258

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Tallgeese posted:

None of this will actually get money put into the pockets of modders, because let's all be honest: there will be sites with stolen mods coming around in short order.

I would bet that someone is putting together a torrent of Skyrim mods right now.

So yeah, I don't really see how this benefits anyone.
I can see some publisher lawyers being really happy about their new influx of $.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Palpek posted:

Also just a reminder that modders only get paid when they sell more than $100 worth of content and that will only transfer after 3 months. So yeah, that guy who worked so hard on his $1 sword is not going to finally make some change out of it, lol.

Yup. Let me quote this from the Skyrim modding thread:

Pakled posted:

So, in addition to Valve/Bethesda taking a 75% cut, there's also this:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Light Gun Man posted:

The good news is Shantae is out and owns and you should buy it

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345820/

Finally, bought this instead of 3 bad looking swords and some lovely companion for Skyrim. It was a tough choice though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Palpek posted:

This will change the scene because a paid scene is much shallower than a free one, it's not the first scene this happens to.

The only good thing that will come out of this is publishers starting releasing mod tools for their new free employees creating content for them at 75% off. I also can't wait for paid patching/fixing mods.

It's better than that! The publisher doesn't pay the modder at all! From their perspective, that content appears out of thin air, and generates a revenue stream.

Assuming a modder makes $0.25-1.00 per download you'd need several thousand downloads per week to match the income from like an actual programming job, which is something that maybe the top 1% of modders can hope for on an irregular basis.

It's not exactly a fair method of outsourcing content creation, excluding some kind of fantastical strawman third-world dirt farmer with a powerful computer, expertise in 3D modeling, and hours and hours of daily free time.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves
I've never used the Steam Workshop, I always just assumed because it's Valve it won't work and use the Nexus sites for whatever minor modding I do. Is the issue for people like me that the third party applications (mod organiser programmes for instance) and the Nexus sites will dry up as modders use the workshop for the dollar dollar?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

theultimo posted:

Reminder: people pay for sponsored extreem content like this:

http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/20784?r=258

To be fair, that's kind of a ticket, partly to make up for the tournaments not getting ad revenue/etc from people watching stuff in game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

My context does affect my opinion I must say. The market, no matter how dumb it is, has allowed me to make $250 which is quite frankly a lot for a uni student in a developing country so I am fine with this kind of stuff, especially since my lovely country doesn't regulate it as hard as hard cash. :shobon:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

frowning posted:

I've never used the Steam Workshop, I always just assumed because it's Valve it won't work and use the Nexus sites for whatever minor modding I do. Is the issue for people like me that the third party applications (mod organiser programmes for instance) and the Nexus sites will dry up as modders use the workshop for the dollar dollar?
Yeah, the next logical thing is modders removing their mods from Nexus because they can't make money there, sad but true.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Palpek posted:

Yeah, the next logical thing is modders removing their mods from Nexus because they can't make money there, sad but true.

Good, Nexus is terrible

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

It's better than that! The publisher doesn't pay the modder at all! From their perspective, that content appears out of thin air, and generates a revenue stream.

Assuming a modder makes $0.25-1.00 per download you'd need several thousand downloads per week to match the income from like an actual programming job, which is something that maybe the top 1% of modders can hope for on an irregular basis.

It's not exactly a fair method of outsourcing content creation, excluding some kind of fantastical strawman third-world dirt farmer with a powerful computer, expertise in 3D modeling, and hours and hours of daily free time.
I wonder what'll happen if it turns out for the 99% of modders that they'd make more money by asking for donations and giving their mod away than waiting to cross the $100 threshold.

Not a good analogy but Youtube lets partners lock their videos away behind a subscription paywall but I've never seen anyone actually do it because there's more money made by just linking to a patreon or w/e.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 23, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I guess this was the next logical step seeing as how Minecraft was apparently rife with modders using hosting that gave them ad revenue per download or something and insisted that people use that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Palpek posted:

Logic and modders are rare bedmates. A look into the Awful/Awesome Mods thread can tell you that much.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wonder what'll happen if it turns out for the 99% of modders that they'd make more money by asking for donations and giving their mod away than waiting to cross the $100 threshold.

Based on minecraft's whole ad.fly fiasco, they will clutch desperately for those mandatory Steam pennies anyway.

e: beaten

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Good, Nexus is terrible

And it's still much better than the workshop if you actually mod a lot.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Because the cut is so small, modders who intend to make money are most definitely going to have to pull every mirror of their mods and crank up the prices, and if any of the modding tool developers like SKSE insist on getting a cut, suddenly mods are going to be getting into indie game territory on what they'll want.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Azran posted:

My context does affect my opinion I must say. The market, no matter how dumb it is, has allowed me to make $250 which is quite frankly a lot for a uni student in a developing country so I am fine with this kind of stuff, especially since my lovely country doesn't regulate it as hard as hard cash. :shobon:

Here's the thing I'm not understanding. You say this will be good for modders in developing countries. Okay, fine.

How will this be for "players" in developing countries? If they have so little money that modding to get by is a good revenue stream, won't it just mean that mods made by people in poorer countries won't actually be able to be played by people in their own country, by and large? That seems messed up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

Based on minecraft's whole ad.fly fiasco, they will clutch desperately for those mandatory Steam pennies anyway.

e: beaten
It seems like in that situation that misery will be enjoying some company then

Maybe we'll get a few funny articles about it, from people who are incensed that they can't get anyone to buy their mods

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andrast posted:

And it's still much better than the workshop if you actually mod a lot.

The only time I've gone back to Nexus after Workshop came out was to grab some Fallout 3 mods since it's not on Steam Workshop.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
In my opinion as someone who has modded before, if anyone ever paid me to mod they would have to be as crazy as Arthmoor because I made mods specifically because I wanted to play them first and foremost, it wasn't work it was getting poo poo how I wanted it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
work is where you do something you probably don't like but get paid for it
modding is a hobby you do because you want to and not because you need to eat

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Palpek posted:

I don't think that's something to worry about. They probably can't make money on the Steam Workshop either.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

amotea posted:

How is this even going to work for Skyrim? IIRC you need 1-3 third party programs to manage/compile/patch mods so that the load order is exactly right and script files don't override each other.

Who will be blamed when mods don't work together or at all.

This got buried but the idea with Steam workshop for skyrim is you click subscribe and that's it. The mod downloads and installs and it should work fine with the other 20 mods you installed. No load order stuff unless you have mods from Nexus or something.

Light Gun Man posted:

The good news is Shantae is out and owns and you should buy it

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345820/
I know people really like this series of indie pixel platformers but for $20 it is so not happening.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Can't wait for the inevitable lawsuit when some modder starts selling an IP they don't own!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Also Counter-Strike et al are terrible examples since even they were largely labours of love for the original creators who put them out for free. They were pretty high quality and as such got picked up by Valve etc, but I don't think they ever intended to make money off them. Even in the WON days when you could buy Counter-Strike at an actual store, it was a special commercial version and you could play the mod for free anyway, and in that case you were just buying the mod to save time downloading it over a lovely 56k modem.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Shima Honnou posted:

modding is a hobby you do because you want to and not because you need to eat
times are changing gramps. nowadays you can make a living playing games on camera and also fixing the broken launch of those games so the streamers can actually make money playing them on camera

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Heran Bago posted:

I know people really like this series of indie pixel platformers but for $20 it is so not happening.

I have it on 3ds. Great game not worth 20 yeah. I got it for 10 on sale.

they should have just made it a mod to skyrim .

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tardcore posted:

Can't wait for the inevitable lawsuit when some modder starts selling an IP they don't own!

I'm sure nothing bad will happen to my Left 4 Dead 2 "Star Wars Lightsaber" mod, only $0.99 USD!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Awesome! posted:

times are changing gramps. nowadays you can make a living playing games on camera and also fixing the broken launch of those games so the streamers can actually make money playing them on camera

gently caress...................... your right, i need to put my games mods on workshop so i can afford a camera and a copy of amnesia..........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tardcore posted:

There's like 3 Dota items on the workshop front page right now, so maybe Valve doesn't care. I'm curious to see if anybody has the balls to charge $0.99 for the Master Sword or something.

• Locked thread