Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Are we talking legal or actual? There is a lot he can do if he puts the right people in the right places, but that would be above the pale of a dictatorship.

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/884877832043757568

Happening.its

Dat 5:00 drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

cr0y posted:

This is a really stupid question that I have to ask, can the President just "have someone arrested"?

e:

No, Bills of Attainder are explicitly banned in the constitution

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

That could've been a headline every day of this administration about every story that was written about this administration.

yes but it might turn into actual shooting at this rate

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Are we talking legal or actual? There is a lot he can do if he puts the right people in the right places, but that would be above the pale of a dictatorship.

Happening.its

Trump Thread II: "something just happened"

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

CREAMING AVERTED

*powering down sound*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

these fuckers need to stop with the tease tweets cuz it never amounts to poo poo.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Not so fast, friend

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/884880325670825984

E: gently caress too slow

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

A bill of attainder is a legislative thing. Congress couldn't declare Obama guilty and/or have him arrested, but the executive certainly could arrest anyone they want if there were probable cause supporting it

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The next big development will be that the FBI executes a ton of search warrants looking for these records.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Happening.its

Kremlin spokesman: we didn't offer Trump Jr. any dirt on Hillary but we did show him this video of Russian hookers urinating on the bed Obama stayed in while Trump Sr. rubs his tiny hands together and breathlessly moans dirty talk.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

mod sassinator posted:

Yea, technically this law hasn't been repealed yet if I read it correctly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_for_Use_of_Military_Force_Against_Terrorists "On June 29, 2017, the House Appropriations Committee approved Rep. Barbara Lee’s amendment to repeal the 2001 authorization for the use of military force that was the foundation of the U.S.’s post-September 11 military actions. The amendment requires that the 2001 authorization for the use of military force be scrapped within 240 days."

So Don Sr. has about 240 days to manufacture whatever reason he wants to 'go after ISIS / al Qaeda / etc.' and send the military anywhere, at home or abroad.

the amendment was adopted but it has not become law yet, and might never become law (and iirc there was something about how it wasn't even binding regardless?). the 2001 AUMF is still in full force and there is (as of now) no sunset provision on it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cr0y posted:

This is a really stupid question that I have to ask, can the President just "have someone arrested"?

e:

No. I mean, arguably under the unitary executive theory (that all executive power is vested in the president and anything that tries to seperate parts of it from his control is unconstitutional) he has that right. But if he tells people to arrest obama just because he said so that order isn't getting carried out, and a court will immediately order their release.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

What a god drat tease

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Simplex posted:

Have you ever seen the movie The Informant? My guess is that Trump's entire inner circle is basically Mark Whitacre.

If we get a movie that good out of this mess it will almost all have been worth it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

a bill of attainder makes someone guilty by decree (it's also legislative)

ordering someone arrested, theoretically, is just having them ready to stand trial

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/884876701926383616

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

evilweasel posted:

No. I mean, arguably under the unitary executive theory (that all executive power is vested in the president and anything that tries to seperate parts of it from his control is unconstitutional) he has that right. But if he tells people to arrest obama just because he said so that order isn't getting carried out, and a court will immediately order their release.

But what if Putin says to have Obama arrested?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
the only possible way trump could be more hosed is if he decided to start arresting people

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

So he's for impeachment then?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/markberman/status/884861613198774277

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/884843566949945344

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

That hashtag makes me... unexpectedly angry.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol why in the gently caress is the science committee tweeting this lmao. gently caress this country holy poo poo.

Because the GOP controls all levers of power in the Federal government?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

No Safe Word posted:

So he's for impeachment then?

this is about mcconnell extending the senate into august, not trump

but for background massie is too freedomy for the house freedom caucus

i do not actually know where that lands him on the likely to vote for impeachment-o-meter, but he recently tweeted something about realizing that maybe the people who voted for him, a crazy libertarian, and trump, crazy as gently caress but definitely not libertarian, were just voting for the craziest motherfucker they could find

so maybe massie 2020 idk

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

massie lives on a farm that's literally off the grid lmao

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
https://twitter.com/ethan_booker/status/884795063372587008

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BlueberryCanary posted:

CREAMING AVERTED

*powering down sound*

Eric Geller clearly has a strong ruined orgasm fetish

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pellisworth posted:

Kremlin spokesman: we didn't offer Trump Jr. any dirt on Hillary but we did show him this video of Russian hookers urinating on the bed Obama stayed in while Trump Sr. rubs his tiny hands together and breathlessly moans dirty talk.
Hannity: The fact that Russia admitted this proves that there's nothing wrong. I love pee and take showers in it all the time, why are liberals against something from the human body? Do we have proof that no one ever peed on Hillary, hmm?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I'm not sure if I can handle any more happenings this week.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Ahaha, what a dipshit thing to say:

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/884882840692957184

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Goddamnit every time I see a headline with Trump Jr. saying "I Love It" i get loving Randy Newman playing in my head again :saddowns:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because the GOP controls all levers of power in the Federal government?

That's the one you're goona pull? I see, the everything and the kitchen sink approach!
I bet some of these reps tell their children the noises they think they hear in the closet at night are Hillary, stirring her cauldron of e-mails Collusion.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 11, 2017

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Lord Hydronium posted:

Hannity: The fact that Russia admitted this proves that there's nothing wrong. I love pee and take showers in it all the time, why are liberals against something from the human body? Do we have proof that no one ever peed on Hillary, hmm?

How do we know Donald wasn't stung by a jellyfish and those hookers were doing the only thing they could to ease his pain?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Beastie posted:

My guess is that Trump Jr doesn't know a whole lot.

While the narrative was still being solidified Limbaugh actually floated something along those lines. "He wasn't important in the campaign and had been pushed to the back of the bus and saw an opportunity to make himself relevant and actually bring something to the campaign and got suckered (by a Dem honeypot of course)", something along those lines. You see, Jr was just dumb and didn't know anything.

But also in general yeah he probably knows astoundingly little. About just like, anything. Aside from what his sister's panties smell like cus I could totally see him being some weird creep like that

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

swimgus posted:

You're thinking of Litvininenko, who got poisoned with Polonium in Britain for talking poo poo about Putin. Magnitsky uncovered a theft committed by Putin's friends of 230 million dollars from the Russian government. He was arrested in Moscow, then thrown into a terrible prison for a year and didn't receive any medical treatment for several acute illnesses, then was beaten to death 7 days before the government had to charge him or release him. Then he was charged and convicted of the crimes relating to the theft he uncovered. After he was dead.

He worked for some rich American dude that got really pissed off about it and lobbied for the Magnitsky Act to specifically punish all the people connected to his employee's death.

`Red Notice` by Bill Browder is about the events surrounding the Magnitsky thing. It's terribly written (it's an autobiography) but it's a pretty good look into how corrupt Russia is

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/olc/opinions/1974/08/31/op-olc-supp-v001-p0370_0.pdf

According to the OLC in 1974 FWIW, the President cannot pardon himself, but Congress may be able to:

quote:

Presidential or Legislative Pardon of the President

Under the fundamental rule that no one may be a judge in his own case, the President cannot pardon himself.

If under the Twenty-Fifth Amendment the President declared that he was temporarily unable to perform the duties of the office, the Vice President would become Acting President and as such could pardon the President. Thereafter the President could either resign or resume the duties of his office.

Although as a general matter Congress cannot enact amnesty or pardoning legislation, because to do so would interfere with the pardoning power vested expressly in the President by the Constitution, it could be argued that a congressional pardon granted to the President would not interfere with the President’s pardoning power because that power does not extend to the President himself.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

In all seriousness if the pee tape exists (it does), I bet it has nothing to do with Trump having a piss fetish. Instead, it's his grudge against Obama coupled with his phobia of germs and womens' bodily fluids. Having Russian hookers pee on Obama's bed is basically just pissing on Obama in effigy, the only thing that would have made him happier is if the hookers could bleed out of who knows where onto Obama.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/884884645581553664

omglol

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
it was trump jrs responsability as an american patriot to investigate hillery`s corruption as best as he could.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
this morning, a russian lawyer and known operative gave an interview to an american news organization outlining a meetig she attended with donald trump jr, paul manafort and jared kushner where she described them as hungry for dirt on hillary clinton.

she spoke through a translator because lol, she's loving russian. like, babushka and vodka russian. cyrillic stamp on her forehead russian.

a loving russian spy.

on united states television.

outlining a meeting she had with the son of a sitting president on ways she may be able to help sabotage a political enemy.

and that somehow was not the biggest news story of the day.

• Locked thread