Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm a bit confused, why are people all over the net saying that it'll hit 70 before shadowbringers launches when the reveal explicitly says "with every shadowbringers patch" not "every patch leading up to shadowbringers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Only thing that kinda runs against the "don't want to design BLU around 4.0's endgame" for me was the comment about the level cap going up with 5.x patches. It sounds like it's going to be an incremental thing.

DizzyBum posted:

I gotta say, I was really happy to watch this live and feel it wash away the awful taint of the Blizzcon keynote. Yoshi-P and crew really know how to get fans hyped.

Yeah holy poo poo, they really know how to have some fun. I love the self-awareness at the shirt stuff and really teasing out some "one more thing." announcements.

I do wish I knew what the region was: I know they said we're going up against Garalameld but neither of the maps they showed made me think of Garalameld territory?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo

That outfit

That cane

actually learning spells from monsters???

I'm in awe

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm a bit confused, why are people all over the net saying that it'll hit 70 before shadowbringers launches when the reveal explicitly says "with every shadowbringers patch" not "every patch leading up to shadowbringers"

people cant read.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

very pleased at how chunky this gunblade is btw

gunblade is the potential class i'm most looking forward to because i love guns and swords (two of the three classes i have at 70 are DRK and MCH lmfao), but was worried that they'd all be the same thinness of the garlean gunblades we've seen so far which isn't really my style

extremely happy to see this fat sword hanging off thancred's back

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah holy poo poo, they really know how to have some fun. I love the self-awareness at the shirt stuff and really teasing out some "one more thing." announcements.

I do wish I knew what the region was: I know they said we're going up against Garalameld but neither of the maps they showed made me think of Garalameld territory?

I would guess we're heading to Garlemald through that chunk in the center of the map (Dalmasca, I guess? We've already seen the ruins of Dalmasca in the Return to Ivalice storyline)

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Failboattootoot posted:

They did change jobs in the hw and sb trailer, but not like was shown in this one, also you should watch those trailers.

I was wrong, I've seen SB but not HW (that I recall, maybe I did).

Edit: Also, it's me, I'm the fool who just bought herself a video game motorcycle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It seems like there's an idea going around Reddit that BLU's level cap will never be endgame level, so that it's a job that can never participate in endgame. Like it won't be able to hit the Shadowbringers level cap until the next expansion begins, essentially.

That makes a certain amount of sense if they've decided to design it like an actual, "learn abilities from monsters" Blue Mage, because I'm sure that would be a nightmare to balance in FFXIV's system. It's a pretty big letdown, though, for players who really wanted Blue Mage to be something that actually fits into the game rather than a side thing to just screw around with.

I think I would've accepted something that had a Blue Mage flavor but ultimately had mechanics that worked with FFXIV's combat system in a way that could be actually balanced (like some kind of interesting twist on a tank job, maybe)--even if it wasn't a true Blue Mage, well, neither is Red Mage a "true" Red Mage and that's still great, so that'd be fine by me. Taking the path of making it a "true" Blue Mage, even if that means it might need to never be usable in endgame content in order to keep things remotely balanced, is... an interesting choice. It might work out if there's enough fun stuff to do as a Blue Mage along the way, otherwise it'll just be a novelty.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think it's way too soon to make the call that it'll never be at the current level cap and people need to wait to find out what's going on until tomorrow.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People will jump to conclusions and then go off hearsay and so forth, instead of actually listening to what was said and taking the time to think. This is nothing new, really.

We don't know what "Limited Job" actually entails yet. That should be answered tomorrow.

e: ^^^^^^^^^ :agreed:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

very pleased at how chunky this gunblade is btw

gunblade is the potential class i'm most looking forward to because i love guns and swords (two of the three classes i have at 70 are DRK and MCH lmfao), but was worried that they'd all be the same thinness of the garlean gunblades we've seen so far which isn't really my style

extremely happy to see this fat sword hanging off thancred's back

:yeah:
The garlean gunblades we've seen so far look kinda wimpy to the point I would have rathered those big crazy mace weapons we see from time to time.

But the fact that his gunblade is a very new and detailed model seems like it's obvious it was made for a new job. Plus the garlean focus of the expansion.

The other leaked job was Dancer, right? Can't say I'm too familiar/excited. Curious what it could be like.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Harrow posted:

It seems like there's an idea going around Reddit that BLU's level cap will never be endgame level, so that it's a job that can never participate in endgame. Like it won't be able to hit the Shadowbringers level cap until the next expansion begins, essentially.

That makes a certain amount of sense if they've decided to design it like an actual, "learn abilities from monsters" Blue Mage, because I'm sure that would be a nightmare to balance in FFXIV's system. It's a pretty big letdown, though, for players who really wanted Blue Mage to be something that actually fits into the game rather than a side thing to just screw around with.

I think I would've accepted something that had a Blue Mage flavor but ultimately had mechanics that worked with FFXIV's combat system in a way that could be actually balanced (like some kind of interesting twist on a tank job, maybe)--even if it wasn't a true Blue Mage, well, neither is Red Mage a "true" Red Mage and that's still great, so that'd be fine by me. Taking the path of making it a "true" Blue Mage, even if that means it might need to never be usable in endgame content in order to keep things remotely balanced, is... an interesting choice. It might work out if there's enough fun stuff to do as a Blue Mage along the way, otherwise it'll just be a novelty.

Yeah, yeah!

Or we can wait until tomorrow instead of listening to the dumb poo poo off Reddit.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Azubah posted:

That's how you do an opening ceremony, I'm drat hyped to fail my way to success in this expansion.
Yeah, comparing this to how the last blizzcon went is kind of night and day. It's really dramatic, and definitely shows the difference in the two teams and how they treat their audience.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The real tragedy here is that now there are two expansions abbreviated SB

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SB and Edgier SB.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if the enemy of the expansion is gonna be angels, there better be a boss fight somewhere against one of these

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Asimo posted:

Yeah, comparing this to how the last blizzcon went is kind of night and day. It's really dramatic, and definitely shows the difference in the two teams and how they treat their audience.

The Raubahn EX callout and Yoshi-P going into full-on apology mode was amazing.

Also I heard someone yell out "GOBLIN PUNCH!" from the audience during BLU's reveal and :lol:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Yeah, yeah!

Or we can wait until tomorrow instead of listening to the dumb poo poo off Reddit.

Yes, I acknowledge it's totally speculation, but I don't think it's entirely unwarranted speculation.

It even kind of makes sense. FFXIV has never really shied away from having sort of "alternative" things to do that aren't part of normal endgame advancement--things like leveling up your chocobo, doing the Deep Dungeon stuff, and that kind of thing. Why not have a job that's basically like an alternative progression job? You go back out into the open world as a Blue Mage and you have a totally different objective than you do as any other job, and even though it's not part of "endgame," it'd almost be a minigame. That'd be entirely consistent with the idea that its level cap will increase with each patch, too--that's sort of like adding more Blue Mage content, maybe.

Obviously this is all speculation and maybe none of it is true at all and they're just rolling out Blue Mage in a really strange way, but I also don't think it's totally impossible or even that it can't work.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Venuz Patrol posted:

if the enemy of the expansion is gonna be angels, there better be a boss fight somewhere against one of these

Bayonetta Expansion?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
SB2: Electric Boogaloo

Looking forward to gunblade and trusts.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

The enemies were the amdaporian constructs, statues given life via holy magics by a long dead civilization, we've fought them before.

Theyre the mages that eventually passed down what become white magic, compared to their enemies crafting black magic.

Why theyre after us specifically and who is giving them orders is a really neat question to me that I wanna find out.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

We don't actually know what a lot of the Garlean Empire territory looks like, except that all of the Return to Ivalice raid takes place within occupied lands.
The two named new areas are "Rak-Tikka Greatwood" in a swampy forest and "Ahm Araeng" in a desert-y waste.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'd be disappointed if I couldn't BLU at cap, but I do like some of the older stuff anyway so I can always do it there.

But I guess it's now a wait to see what the deal is.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yes, I acknowledge it's totally speculation, but I don't think it's entirely unwarranted speculation.

It even kind of makes sense. FFXIV has never really shied away from having sort of "alternative" things to do that aren't part of normal endgame advancement--things like leveling up your chocobo, doing the Deep Dungeon stuff, and that kind of thing. Why not have a job that's basically like an alternative progression job? You go back out into the open world as a Blue Mage and you have a totally different objective than you do as any other job, and even though it's not part of "endgame," it'd almost be a minigame. That'd be entirely consistent with the idea that its level cap will increase with each patch, too--that's sort of like adding more Blue Mage content, maybe.

Obviously this is all speculation and maybe none of it is true at all and they're just rolling out Blue Mage in a really strange way, but I also don't think it's totally impossible or even that it can't work.

IMO, releasing one of the most iconic FF jobs as a glorified mini-game would be a really bad move.

We'll see what this is all about soon enough.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
While most enemies in this game tend to have very simple and reserved weapon designs, as players we get all kinds of different wacky poo poo to swing around. I've no doubts that we'll have a bunch of big beefy gunblades as well as some elegant thin ones to glam around with.

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?
I could see "Limited Job" meaning that there just aren't any (or there are significantly fewer) job quests. After all, you don't need somebody to teach you how to use new moves. The monsters do that.

But we'll see. Spending dev time on a class that can never actually participate in current content seems like a complete waste, but then again Eureka exists so :shrug:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Also, can I just say lol at the being stepped on thing again. :mmmhmm:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Leofish posted:

Hoping Dancer gets a move that lets them stomp on an enemy and they call it "Step On Me".

Or just use it as the name for a quest somewhere.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Betting that BLU will remain capped until Stormbringers release - maintains player/sub engagement, allows players to familiarize with the class a bit (and make a call if they want to main that or switch) before expansion launch, helps keep lower level queues populated with veteran players (even if they're not healers/tanks), etc.

Overall I'm real hype and (manager willing) I'll likely take off a couple weeks for the expansion launch again.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel pretty confident that blue is a weird side thing, but it sounds like a blast and im excited to hunt for abilities and make funny and overpowered ability sets

I wonder what Role they will be, assuming you can bring them into group content at all. Could I tank old content for people? Heal leveling roulette?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also speaking as a dps main, we are loving Spoiled for job choices so I don't mind having one less. Enjoy your hell leveling queues, GUN and DNC players

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Countblanc posted:

Also speaking as a dps main, we are loving Spoiled for job choices so I don't mind having one less. Enjoy your hell leveling queues, GUN and DNC players

Between Squadrons, PotD, HoH, and Trusts....who needs real people?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

I'm just happy BLU is starting at level 1.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Countblanc posted:

the stats already say people dont switch to tank/healer, tanks and healers just play the new ones. So the queues will be relatively the same.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

While most enemies in this game tend to have very simple and reserved weapon designs, as players we get all kinds of different wacky poo poo to swing around. I've no doubts that we'll have a bunch of big beefy gunblades as well as some elegant thin ones to glam around with.

giv eme... BIG beef.........

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The obvious thing is that when BLU hits 50 you'll start getting genesis drops

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Leofish posted:

Yoshida has very specific tastes that must be met in order for him to do his job efficiently.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Combining MP and TP is a pretty interesting choice. Is there any indication what the new combined resource will be called? Just MP or TP or something else?

Countblanc posted:

I thought the leaks said that GUN would be a tank job, or has that changed since I last checked?

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?
oh, as a healer main who usually plays SCH, i am unbelievably hyped for shields to show up on healthbars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

KoB posted:

the stats already say people dont switch to tank/healer, tanks and healers just play the new ones. So the queues will be relatively the same.

I seem to remember during the Heavensward launch healer queues were a lot longer than DPS queues.