Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The first time you pull those out painted at a tourney people are going to freak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Hey is there a timeline about when the Good Viking list will be coming, and what all was supposedly in that again? I know its in the early stages I just can't remember what was said about it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pash posted:

Hey is there a timeline about when the Good Viking list will be coming, and what all was supposedly in that again? I know its in the early stages I just can't remember what was said about it.

Was recently posted that there's another expansion of some kind coming first, and then after that the expansion with them, Ophidia and the Twilight Kin is coming, so next year I guess? Daedleh is working on both, but no idea if he can say much of anything about them :v:

Combining the new rulebook fluff and memory, the good viking list is possily going to be elves, viking humans, frost trolls, frost giants and ogres plus more:

quote:

This young Kindred of Elves now rules
over a city of ice, outcasts united under
the banner of the exiled prince Talannar
Icekin. It is said that Icekin used the last
of his wealth to pay the Ogres to protect
his newfound lands and construct his
settlements, while his magic created a city
of ice-spires, known simply as Chill, to
watch over his domain. Hardy Northmen
flock to his banner, as do strange elemental
creatures of ice, and packs of vicious Snow
Trolls. Warriors come from far and wide
to swear fealty to this frozen prince, while
his allegiance with the Ogres to the south
adds to his strength. Icekin has somehow
exerted his influence over disparate tribes
and monstrous beasts, forging a Northern
Alliance to be feared.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The first time you pull those out painted at a tourney people are going to freak.

Cheers, I hope so :buddy:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 9, 2015

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

NTRabbit posted:

Was recently posted that there's another expansion of some kind coming first, and then after that the expansion with them, Ophidia and the Twilight Kin is coming, so next year I guess? Daedleh is working on both, but no idea if he can say much of anything about them :v:

Combining the new rulebook fluff and memory, the good viking list is possily going to be elves, viking humans, frost trolls, frost giants and ogres plus more:

Cheers, I hope so :buddy:

Timeline is Uncharted Empires first containing not-WHFB lists, coming out this year sometime. Next up it's the campaigb book for the worldwide campaign (contains a narrative 2 player campaign too, likely penned by yours truly). Next year, maybe mid-year, it's the next expansion with the Northern Alliance (good vikings), Ophidians and Twilight Kin.

Also there's a historicals supplement at some point and another expansion (no army lists) by me and Matt Gilbert but no idea on timescales.

After Uncharted Empires I think the Rules Committee is taking the rest of the year off. We started work on 2nd edition in September last year and been working flat out since...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat son

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
According to kickstarter, all of the kow stuff has shipped. Now it's a long wait until the 30th to find out if my stuff got porch jacked or not.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

drgnvale posted:

According to kickstarter, all of the kow stuff has shipped. Now it's a long wait until the 30th to find out if my stuff got porch jacked or not.

To clarify, "shipped" as in "on the boat from China". Actual shipping to us will start somewhere around October 10.

VVV welp you're right, I thought he was talking about DS.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 10, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

No kings of war has shipped, dungeon saga is on the boat

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

My KoW box (God of War with Dwarf mega-army plus an Undead mega-army for my brother) arrived yesterday, with no tracker being sent via email beforehand, so just because you didn't receive a tracking number doesn't mean they aren't in the mail.

Sadly it'll be another week before I can get started on them, but pretty hyped.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Warpath Kickstarter on the 21st

Did they ever get the not-mass-battle beta rules out?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is Mantic as lenient about their KSes as Reaper is? Like, chip in for one army, get more armies next year at the same price?

I'd go whole hog but the canadian dollar is currently ... flaccid.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They're trying to make it so retailers don't hate them so much, so the pledge managers are going to be mostly one and done from now on. You'll probably have until at least the end of the year for Warpath, though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The blog post mentions the previous Warpath kickstarter a few years ago missing the mark... what happened there?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Warpath in general. This is actually the third version of Warpath they've done. The first was mostly conversions of Fantasy kits and it went over really poorly. 2nd was all restic and not very popular.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is their restic akin to PP restic?

Or worse?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I've been patiently waiting for warpath to come out, I'd like to see new corporate soldiers (not enforcers) and I liked the KOW style squad blocks.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It was about the same, but they're not doing anything new in that format. All hard plastic, resin, or metal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I finished reading the fluff sections of my Kings of War 2nd edition book yesterday.

It's not what I bought the book for, and I already like the rules and will play this game. But I have to admit, the fluff failed to exceed my very low expectations. It's generally pretty uninspired, but more importantly, it's badly in need of editing. The text is loaded with poor grammar (especially run-on sentences), weird tense shifts, eye-catching repetition of adjectives, inconsistent style, and an overall sense of being hurried filler. I wasn't very impressed with the artwork, more than half of which is photographs of models with decent but not exactly amazing paintjobs and often insufficient lighting.

If Mantic wants Kings of War to genuinely inspire enthusiasm for the Mantica setting and its characters and plots and conflicts, it needs to spend a lot more time and money on developing and (especially) presenting that setting in compelling ways. I'm sure budgets are very tight, but paying a good editor for a week or two of work on the fluff sections of its products would also be money well-spent.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

quote:

Hi Guys,

I don’t normally venture into this part of the forum, from an ETC perspective I am the Team England 40k Captain.

However I wanted to post up as I work for Mantic Games and I have been speaking to the Chairmen at the ETC and since about opportunities with Kings of War.

I can see you have a number of options open to you, 8th Edition, 9th age, Furion’s Version, a modified Age of Sigmar or possibly Kings of War. What I wanted to say was if you are interested in adopting Kings of War as your system of choice we as Mantic are very willing to work closely with the ETC to create a rules system you guys want.

Kings of War is the game it is, and the core version of our game has just launched as a 2nd edition and our sales have never been better. Really building momentum behind the system which is fantastic. Now for the ETC, if you guys want a Kings of War ETC edition we can do that. As long as the basis for this is the core of Kings of War, we are very happy to work in partnership to create a sustainable game you can enjoy at the competitive level, which is supported by a company who still wants to produce a mass battle, regimented Fantasy System.

I know you have a separate thread where Captains can nominate a proposed system, I suspect you mean Fantasy Captains so I haven’t posted there. But if someone is interesting in nominating Kings of War and if you decide it is the game you want to play we look forward to working with you. :)

:raise:

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Man the truth hurts when to mock the competiton the company literally just has to say we make games and provide prize support, and we EVEN respond to emails.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's interesting that the Warhammer 40k Team England captain is an employee of Mantic Games. Shouldn't he be playing deadzone or something?

But it's also good that it's apparently OK with his employers. If a GW employee was caught acting as countrywide team captain of a competitor's product, I imagine he'd be instantly fired, if not publicly executed.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

Doctor Borris posted:

Man the truth hurts when to mock the competiton the company literally just has to say we make games and provide prize support, and we EVEN respond to emails.

Except...

quote:

The posts on Warhammer.org.uk are the first time the RC have heard of a KoW ETC edition.

And this exchange on their boards:

quote:

You are really wellcomed next August in Greece for sure. As ETC wars ( if ETC community choose to support KoW) or even like a separate Team tournament.
Although, since we are testing almost every day KoW2, we already have some proposals for a team tournament according to ETC stanards ( "run away" rule: a Troops only flee reaction based on Nimble special rule, "Highly concentrated" rule: mages special rule, some new items and 6 Lores of magic, based on interaction between the basic rules and the tactical superiority against different gamestyles like cornerwars, MSU, flyingparties, tap tactics etc. Finally, apart the Magical Lores ( each spell cost a number of pts) , we have as a extra option the "unlimited power" effect, once per game, with some extraordinary actions on the battlefield.
I am really excited with KoW2.
Cheers
Edroulfo "Asarnil" Espinoza.
Team Greece 2015 captain
Orga member of ETC 2016.

quote:

Frankly, it sounds like you are ruining KoW.

It sorta sounds why there's someone on the KoW boards wanting to know about nerfing flyers for comp.]

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
I think it was said best by Daedleh - (to paraphrase) it seems like they want to like KoW by making it WHFB 8e.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Daedleh posted:

Warpath Kickstarter on the 21st

Did they ever get the not-mass-battle beta rules out?

No they didn't, which is concerning

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

enrious posted:

I think it was said best by Daedleh - (to paraphrase) it seems like they want to like KoW by making it WHFB 8e.

Well, a lot of KoW players are ex-WHFB players, so they are carrying with them certain expectations (and baggage) about what a mass fantasy battle game "should" be. They don't have anything else to compare such a game like KoW to, and they're so used to the various fiddly bits from WHFB--overpowered magic, big fighty heroes, cannons one-shotting monsters--that to them, a game without those elements feels off and wrong and not Warhammer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They'll be weaned off of it eventually, just not going to happen overnight. I mean, at least they're considering it right?

I'm still excited for Warpath don't get me wrong, it's just cautious until I see Fire Fight rules.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

They'll be weaned off of it eventually, just not going to happen overnight. I mean, at least they're considering it right?

I'm still excited for Warpath don't get me wrong, it's just cautious until I see Fire Fight rules.

I'm hoping they'll be weaned off of it, yeah. I already ran into one guy a couple months ago who was a long-time WHFB player who had a mild distaste for KoW, but was open to it since 8th is broken as gently caress and there's not going to be any more support for it.

So, I dunno. I like the KoW rules well enough, but I can see why some people might want some more mechanical weight to a few things.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It sounds like they're making firefight the focus at start so that's promising. Shows they learned a little bit.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I wish Mantic had advertised their artifact system more or included it in the free rules because a ton of the force customization comes from there. It's super easy to make your own unique snowflake units and characters and you can justify the stat effects in all sorts of ways.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

FishFood posted:

I wish Mantic had advertised their artifact system more or included it in the free rules because a ton of the force customization comes from there. It's super easy to make your own unique snowflake units and characters and you can justify the stat effects in all sorts of ways.

And include it in the fluff - "These guys are the Princess Peaches Power Regiment."

"Dave, those are the same as all of the other Mario Long Staves in your army, except they have boots of jumping."

"Stop trying to narrativeshame me!"

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's interesting that the Warhammer 40k Team England captain is an employee of Mantic Games. Shouldn't he be playing deadzone or something?

But it's also good that it's apparently OK with his employers. If a GW employee was caught acting as countrywide team captain of a competitor's product, I imagine he'd be instantly fired, if not publicly executed.

Not sure whether that's Tim or Josh - they're both big 40k players that attend ETC.

I'm not sure why they're offering to write an entire Not-WHFB edition of KoW but yeah those posts were the first the RC heard of it. Might be they got mixed up with the "We'll help you with the tournament pack" offer but offering an entire new edition is only going to go down badly when it doesn't happen.

Mantics got no issue with them playing or representing 40k. Their office library seems to have copies of most editions of 40k and Fantasy, as well as all the Blood Bowl, Necromunda etc books.

I can see why people are wanting a nerf to flyers already. I argued for it all the way through the beta but one of the other RC members insisted we'd nerfed them enough with counter-charge (not that it helps you if the flyer wipes you out in one turn). Then in the "oh poo poo we need to pull the print run because Mantic hosed up the layout" week he suddenly wanted to bump all flyers up 10-20%. I'd have preferred it if you could disorder and ground flyers myself.

Still, War Engines seemed similarly unbeatable when 1st edition launched but within 6 months people had figured out how to beat them. We're not going to be taking any action until we've seen the edition settle down.

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 12, 2015

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

Daedleh posted:

<snip>
We're not going to be taking any action until we've seen the edition settle down.

Frankly, that's probably the best reaction and the best policy - it beats panic and more importantly, silence.

That said, I sort of wish after things are settled a bit for a set of "these didn't make the final cut, but this was some of the rules we kicked around. Have fun, but they aren't going to be used in any official capacity."

Oh, and could we have a 100 page FAQ to memorize?

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

If we feel the need to start comping events I kinda want to push it with changes to scenarios rather than list restrictions. Things like a random weather effect which grounds flyers would make them far less desirable. Still powerful, but can't be relied upon - same as how we've "comped" static gunlines by making most of the scenarios requiring movement to win.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Having your good army be randomly hosed by unavoidable random events is GW's schtick, and it's not a good one. Please never write a rule to "discourage" players from fielding legal units they bought, laboriously painted, and added to their army in good faith.

If a unit type is overpowered, carefully adjust its power. That takes more care and effort on your part, but it's the only approach that respects both the integrity of the game, and the investments made to it by the players.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Leperflesh posted:

Having your good army be randomly hosed by unavoidable random events is GW's schtick, and it's not a good one. Please never write a rule to "discourage" players from fielding legal units they bought, laboriously painted, and added to their army in good faith.

If a unit type is overpowered, carefully adjust its power. That takes more care and effort on your part, but it's the only approach that respects both the integrity of the game, and the investments made to it by the players.

I agree with you here Fish, but if flyers do end up too good a scenario where flyers cannot hold ground or have a movement penalty is a far cry from totally screwing them.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Also just being up-front and honest about the changes, and the reasons as to why you're addressing them, goes a long way to keeping players happy with you.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Doctor Borris posted:

I agree with you here Fish, but if flyers do end up too good a scenario where flyers cannot hold ground or have a movement penalty is a far cry from totally screwing them.

But let it be a predictable down side that you can plan around and not "poo poo, I rolled a 5+, my units are now useless"

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Not a viking posted:

But let it be a predictable down side that you can plan around and not "poo poo, I rolled a 5+, my units are now useless"

Yes, I was meaning that "Two of the games at this event will take place under heavy weather where units cannot use the Fly rule."

Flyers are still valuable but you wont see anyone taking a pure flying army.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If scenarios are drawn randomly for each match, that'd be even worse. I might never get the gimped-flyer scenario, or I might randomly draw it for half my matches. If I want to win the tournament, I have to assume my opponents are building the best all-comers lists t hey can, and do likewise.

I would say I'd not bring any flyers to a tournament where any significant fraction of the scenarios took away their primary capability. Why would I build a list that I knew was going to be gimped in two games? And if I already spent time and money building a force with flyers in it, I'd be disinclined to even attend a tournament where the organizers have branded my unit choices with a red letter and taken steps to discourage me from making previously-valid choices.

I realize there are always drawbacks and advantages to certain unit types in certain scenarios, but in my opinion, a well-designed scenario doesn't invalidate one or more unit choices that a reasonable player would have made. You can have a crowded map where it's harder for me to maneuver my cavalry... but I can still use them, and maybe I can find a narrow avenue where I can set up a good charge, and maybe bait my opponent into that spot.

If flyers are a little overpowered, raise their points cost by 10%, or adjust the flying rules a little, or add hard-counter units good at fighting flying units to all the armies.

Doctor Borris posted:

This is a slightly better solution: you build a scenario where fliers are perhaps less useful, but you don't just blanket take away their ability to fly. I still don't like it much, though. Either flyers are too powerful, in which case they need to be adjusted for every match; or they're not too powerful, in which case there's no need to design scenarios to screw them.

Not a viking posted:

Exactly.

Just to be totally clear:

Daedleh posted:

same as how we've "comped" static gunlines by making most of the scenarios requiring movement to win.

I don't see this as the same thing. A static gunline isn't a unit choice, it's a strategy. Specifically, it's a strategy that makes for poor game experiences. Being able to move and take objectives is the default assumption for army composition in basically any tabletop wargame. So, designing scenarios that make the basic assumption that both armies are capable of advancing on the board, is totally reasonable. And if it has the side effect of discouraging a strategy that makes for un-fun games, that's great!

Flyers aren't a "strategy" though, they're a specific subset of units. A dude who has invested in some stationary artillery can still use them in the above scenario to good effect: he's not put in a situation where he's leaving his expensive, carefully-painted units at home. But if you made a scenario where on a 5+, all artillery stop working for the rest of the game? That's the point where artillery-guy is being treated unfairly. Or if you made 2 out of 6 scenarios be ones where troops armed with guns simply can't use their guns. Same kind of thing. If I knew those scenarios were possible in a tournament, I'd immediately be thinking "I better make an all-cavalry list, to make sure I'm in best shape to win those scenarios" and now you've simply cost me money and limited my options and made me feel bad for investing in ranged troops.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Wasn't there supposed to be castle siege rules in KoW 2nd edition?