Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

LRMs are much more interesting when they stop being 5/10/15/20-tube launchers and become 1/2/4/6-tube launchers (and fire big 5-damage missiles).
Yeah, but, like, fewer large missiles are not nearly as cool as swarms of missiles read: Anime man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That's why I'm keeping Rocket Launchers in. :haw:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Phrosphor posted:

It was doable in the beta. I don't know about now. I can try and do the same thing I did then (when I get my hands on the game) and will report back.

oh my god my avatar would be perfect

I hope it's still possible

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

PoptartsNinja posted:

Reducing the overall number of weapons fielded helps a lot, I find.

After the current mission in my LP thread I'm gearing up to publicly playtest a shake-up that makes all of the laser weapons significantly heavier (and hotter (and slightly higher-damage)), while giving missile weapons much less ammo to work with (so they have to buy more ammo as opposed to just buying extra launchers). It's essentially BattleTech balanced around the Autocannon/5 rather than the current iteration which is balanced around the Medium Laser.

It's been an interesting experience just from the design perspective, and I'm really hoping it plays "live" as well as it has in my private tests. The only downside is it can't really be ported to MegaMEK because I've changed the way LRMs function in an effort to limit the number of dice rolls.

LRMs are much more interesting when they stop being 5/10/15/20-tube launchers and become 1/2/4/6-tube launchers (and fire big 5-damage missiles).

That's sounds pretty good, but won't you have to rebuild all the mechs you use in your campaign? Any changes to SRMS?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PTN's campaign is to the point he's been building basically all his mechs from scratch anyway. Has been for quite some time.

it's pretty great.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

OB_Juan posted:

That's sounds pretty good, but won't you have to rebuild all the mechs you use in your campaign?

He's been working on this a long time. So the answer is yes he would have to, had he not already done so.

We're all quite excited

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I am too, now! I was sad I missed out on playing in that before, and was too intimidated by the thread length to try and catch up, but if a new one starts to work with the new rules, I'm deffo going to try to get in. Maybe drag another goon in, too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

OB_Juan posted:

I am too, now! I was sad I missed out on playing in that before, and was too intimidated by the thread length to try and catch up, but if a new one starts to work with the new rules, I'm deffo going to try to get in. Maybe drag another goon in, too.

It's not so much a new LP/thread as it is that there's going to be a time skip in the current setting to move it forward and thats when the tech changes will come into play.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

OB_Juan posted:

It won't be a new thread, but after the current mission ends there's going to be a time skip in the metaplot and that will coincide with the change of rules.

You should really give the thread a try, if you are feeling overwhelmed by its length, try reading the main updates and a few of the reaction comments before moving to the next update (all linked in the OP). My only experience with Battletech had been through MW games, but it takes just a bit to get used to the flow of the battle results, and the plot/writing is top notch, definitely a span above any other LP fluff I've read. This may have to do with PTN being a published Btech author (If I'm correct?).

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Yeah he had a couple short stories published in battlecorps I think it was.

Someone should really get on top of getting PTN a key so he can stream the game over the weekend. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

OB_Juan posted:

That's sounds pretty good, but won't you have to rebuild all the mechs you use in your campaign? Any changes to SRMS?

It's easier for me because I don't need to rebuild every 'Mech, but can just build myself a group of core machines to pull from and then bring in "newly updated" designs as time passes. I did all the machines I intend to give the Clans yesterday.

All launchers have Artemis's +2 on the missile table built in, which also makes ECM better by default since there's more things it can gently caress with.

SRMs get less ammo overall, but have more specialty ammo (deadfire trades the Artemis bonus for extra damage, chaff makes a 1 hex ECM field that blows away eventually, infernos everyone already knows and loves). Small weapons (SRM-2s, machine guns, and flamers) can be fired in the melee phase immediately after a melee attack to try to exploit any holes you just punched, provided they're not mounted in the limb you attacked with. So the Shadow Hawk's lovely SRM-2 now actually does add a little extra close-range punch.

The biggest real change is that Medium Lasers now weigh 2.5 tons (Larges weigh 8!) with a few bonuses to compensate them.

That means either a pair of 0.25 ton machine guns and a half-ton of ammo or a flamer are now the go-to 1 ton weapon systems, and small missile launchers like the SRM-2 are much more tempting.

I'm also adjusting the heat curve to give a couple of small bonuses at lower heat levels to discourage heat neutrality. Sure, pushing 8 heat gives you a +1 penalty to-hit but if you're moving a little faster and punching harder in melee that's still an incentive to get yourself a little hotter.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 20, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
:o is TSM of some form becoming the new normal? Because oh my.

Also speaking of missiles, we were talking on Battletech discord and it turns out that this game doesn't use something like the TT cluster table for missile hits (In TT a non-streak launcher typically hits with 63% of it's missiles, or 75% with artemis IV). Instead it's just whatever the hit chance you had when you fire the launcher- If you're shooting with an 80% chance to hit, 80% of your missiles should hit.

This makes for a nice situational buff to the really porky large IS LRMs in 3025 where you have no weight savers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Halman posted:

Yeah he had a couple short stories published in battlecorps I think it was.

Someone should really get on top of getting PTN a key so he can stream the game over the weekend. :colbert:

Now we're talking!

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

OB_Juan posted:

Even if you haven’t read the thread from start to finish join in anyway, participating doesn’t need you to know the fine details of everything that happened before (except to laugh at old memes). :)

The game itself is pretty easy to get the hang of and PTN does the majority of bookkeeping for you. Just keep in mind things like to-hit modifiers and terrain and have fun.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I always felt that SRMs and LRMs that hit should get a bonus to their roll on the hit tabled based on how much higher than the to-hit that they rolled. Thus if your to-hit was an 8 and you roll and 11, you get +3 on your how many missiles hit table roll.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Has there been any word yet when steam vendors like GMG will get keys?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Gwaihir posted:

:o is TSM of some form becoming the new normal? Because oh my.

Also speaking of missiles, we were talking on Battletech discord and it turns out that this game doesn't use something like the TT cluster table for missile hits (In TT a non-streak launcher typically hits with 63% of it's missiles, or 75% with artemis IV). Instead it's just whatever the hit chance you had when you fire the launcher- If you're shooting with an 80% chance to hit, 80% of your missiles should hit.

This makes for a nice situational buff to the really porky large IS LRMs in 3025 where you have no weight savers.

Although LRMs only get to check for head-hits once per launcher not once per missile, so you don't get essentially guaranteed head hits (and guaranteed pilot damage) every big lrm salvo. SRMs supposedly still roll per missile for head hit checks, so they're great for fishing pilot damage.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The way kiva explained it is that location hits cluster in an area around the first missile to hit, so unless the first missile does hit the head you're unlikely to get headshots from followup shots.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

The way kiva explained it is that location hits cluster in an area around the first missile to hit, so unless the first missile does hit the head you're unlikely to get headshots from followup shots.

This doesn't seem true from playing the backer beta or from watching streams.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I don't think it's the first missile so much as it determines "this location is the center for this salvo" and then clusters missiles into and around that location.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Internet Explorer posted:

This doesn't seem true from playing the backer beta or from watching streams.

I know it wasn't the case when the beta came out, no idea how it's working past that obviously

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Internet Explorer posted:

Now we're talking!

There's plenty of low viewer schmendricks streaming it right now so why not our boy Poptarts??

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I wouldn't say no, but it's not something I'd expect either. The HBS folks have a lot on their plate I'm sure (or maybe at this point it's all relief and trepidation?)

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'll try and get caught up, and toss my name in for some future missions. Sounds like a lot of fun!

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
Yup. Time to begin the hike up the PTN battletech thread, the Everest of Let's Play threads.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've gone from not caring about a new strategy game release to frothing at the mouth for HBS BattleTech in a matter of days. Why can't I play this noooowwwww :cry:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Hmm, let's see:

1. Turn-based combat with an initiative mechanic
2. Tactical gameplay with vision, evasion, unit facing and resource-based weapon management mechanics
3. Tried-and-tested strategic mech loadout/customization mechanics
4. (from what I have seen) universally acclaimed early-access reviews with little or no bugged/broken gameplay
5. A $40.00 price point
6. A long campaign with optional skirmishes

I really don't see any reason not to buy this game if you like TBS games at all. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong about the review and impression information we have right now; it seems to me that everyone is saying great things here.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
My goal this week is to finish painting my Star Wars: Legion army because there is not a chance in hell of me doing anything productive after this game comes out.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

SirFozzie posted:

Soundtrack is up for preorder.

I love the music I've heard so far.

https://joneverist.bandcamp.com/album/battletech-original-soundtrack

"Mercenary Blues" is real good. :shepspends:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Hmm, let's see:

1. Turn-based combat with an initiative mechanic
2. Tactical gameplay with vision, evasion, unit facing and resource-based weapon management mechanics
3. Tried-and-tested strategic mech loadout/customization mechanics
4. (from what I have seen) universally acclaimed early-access reviews with little or no bugged/broken gameplay
5. A $40.00 price point
6. A long campaign with optional skirmishes

I really don't see any reason not to buy this game if you like TBS games at all. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong about the review and impression information we have right now; it seems to me that everyone is saying great things here.

Like, literally the worst things I could say about this game from having obsessively absorbed every bit of information about it over the past few weeks would be that the AI appears to be fairly basic, there aren't any difficulty settings that can be accessed without modding, and that for grognard legacy / lore reasons the majority of the stock mechs (and therefore all of the mechs you will be going up against in SP) are somewhat badly designed

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 21, 2018

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
how's the modding for the game? Would like to see some custom designed missions made to put people up against a real challenge.

Also how's the multiplayer.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Game's not even out yet and I'm excited for the dlc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Impermanent posted:

how's the modding for the game? Would like to see some custom designed missions made to put people up against a real challenge.

Modding is trivially easy, if you can use notepad.

Nothing's locked down and you can edit most anything you want. Custom weapons, mechs, loadouts, campaign events, the works.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Impermanent posted:

Multiplayer is 1 player vs 1 player, 4 mechs vs. 4 mechs. It'll probably be expanded upon in the future; Shadowrun had two super-DLCs/sequels that expanded on its features heavily.

Also, one of the few design complaints I've seen is that, with how salvage works, once you obtain three mech "parts" (you can get one for center torso-ing a mech, two for leg destruction, three for headshot/pilot death) your tech crew puts the mech in question together automatically... and it pops out, fully assembled, fully repaired, with its entire stock weapon loadout. Needless to say, since you also get weapons as salvage, you end up with a hilarious surplus of weapons and you build up a stock of mechs really quickly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Impermanent posted:

Modding is not officially supported but everything is in text files so it seems straightforward.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

sebmojo posted:

Modding is not officially supported but everything is in text files so it seems straightforward.

Phros' LP thread showed that the technical preview could be tinkered with to completely adjust the AI, pilot details, and even add in new 'mechs.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SpaceDrake posted:

Multiplayer is 1 player vs 1 player, 4 mechs vs. 4 mechs. It'll probably be expanded upon in the future; Shadowrun had two super-DLCs/sequels that expanded on its features heavily.

Also, one of the few design complaints I've seen is that, with how salvage works, once you obtain three mech "parts" (you can get one for center torso-ing a mech, two for leg destruction, three for headshot/pilot death) your tech crew puts the mech in question together automatically... and it pops out, fully assembled, fully repaired, with its entire stock weapon loadout. Needless to say, since you also get weapons as salvage, you end up with a hilarious surplus of weapons and you build up a stock of mechs really quickly.

I think the real money is going to be in the more rare weapons with the various accuracy, damage, heat, or stability modifiers, and you're probably not going to ever run in to a real surplus of those.

In that context I think it's fine that you get a bunch of stock medium lasers and AC5s and what not.

(That, and if you wanted to all it takes is changing a digit to make a Mech require 6 parts to assemble from salvage instead of 3).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gwaihir posted:

I think the real money is going to be in the more rare weapons with the various accuracy, damage, heat, or stability modifiers, and you're probably not going to ever run in to a real surplus of those.

In that context I think it's fine that you get a bunch of stock medium lasers and AC5s and what not.

(That, and if you wanted to all it takes is changing a digit to make a Mech require 6 parts to assemble from salvage instead of 3).

I would definitely like to see a version of the game where you don't get free guns from 'Mech pieces. I feel like that'd work materially toward a more rough and tumble campaign feel, where deploying a 'Mech missing parts could be a reasonable option.

But that might also be moddable, who knows?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Someone's almost certainly going to make a Battletech Long War for all you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Game is spending more and more time on the front page of Steam's top seller list. I don't know what HBS and Paradox's sales expectations are, but I hope they're pleased with all the positive buzz around the game.