Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This isn't exactly a new problem for Star Wars. See also: the most famous and celebrated cosplay group for all of Star Wars being...stormtroopers.

Who are, y'know, literally named for Nazis and are all but explicitly a Nazi analogue.

And like, the cosplayers aren't bad people and do a lot of charity work but it still makes me real uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Remember when "nazi bad" was not considered to be "political", and using them was a common way to say "this character/group are evil" without too much whining?

Also, to add my two cents to the "keep it apolitical" - when the issue in the question is something like "should we kill all the jews?", saying things like "dunno, no opinion", or treating like something valid to discuss (as opposed to "stop being a chud")...ain't inspiring much confidence in yer morals, y'know?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
This seems relevant. By Night Studios are the guys who make the Vampire LARP rules. From the Industry thread:

JackMann posted:

So, yeah. Shane Robinett is one of their shareholders. Someone found some fairly disgusting stuff he posted on Facebook. Most of it was just fairly standard "Waahhh! It's so hard to be a white Christian male" whining, but there was also one saying that the US needs to start murdering immigrants using drones with .50 caliber guns.

By Night Studios has said they will make a statement tomorrow (12/31).

EDIT: According to their website, he's "Project Lead for Technology; Partner; Investor."

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

It's wild that I brought up 2 YouTubers and you all jump on the one that doesn't want lovely slap fights in their comments section over the other which may be platforming fash, in this the Fascists in Trad Gaming thread.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

WHOOPS phone's being a dick

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 30, 2019

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Team_q posted:

It's wild that I brought up 2 YouTubers and you all jump on the one that doesn't want lovely slap fights in their comments section over the other which may be platforming fash, in this the Fascists in Trad Gaming thread.

The thread has enormous blindspots. Goonhammer, the goon run warhammer blog that gets a summary post of new content every six hours in the 40k thread protects and shelters a morally abhorrent writer because they drive clicks.

EDIT: I say this because goons are currently working out how to give this website money in the 40k thread.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 30, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Team_q posted:

I mean to me it sounds like it's pretty settled on whether the second might be fash, while the former's apolitical stance can be a lot vaguer.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

The thread has enormous blindspots. Goonhammer, the goon run warhammer blog that gets a summary post of new content every six hours in the 40k thread protects and shelters a morally abhorrent writer because they drive clicks.

EDIT: I say this because goons are currently working out how to give this website money in the 40k thread.

Who? The point of this thread is for educating and not making GBS threads on people for not knowing something you're not sharing.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Who? The point of this thread is for educating and not making GBS threads on people for not knowing something you're not sharing.

Three people have been perma’d for making references to this. Completely unable to provide any explanation whatsoever without the same thing happening.

Goonhammer admins are aware, are fine with it and are relying on this blackout to let them ride it out.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Argas posted:

I mean to me it sounds like it's pretty settled on whether the second might be fash, while the former's apolitical stance can be a lot vaguer.

Yeah, once you know for a fact 'hey this is a fascist,' it's not really necessary to hash out whether or not they suck. That's a known quantity.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
I'm totally lost. What's going on?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Literally cannot explain without being permabanned. Just know this: gently caress goonhammer.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Like the man says, it'd be permabans for going into more detail. Even quoting other people talking about it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
We’re probably hosed for even posting this much but the calls to give them money were too much.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
OK well I hope you can understand my blindspot for something I don't know about and you can't talk about. This is totally hosed up though.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
I like Goonhammer's content and I'm lost. Please say it ain't so.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TTerrible posted:

E: thread updated while replying, but if nobody can talk about it that'd be why it's a "blind spot".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 30, 2019

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

OK well I hope you can understand my blindspot for something I don't know about and you can't talk about. This is totally hosed up though.

Yup I know this is lovely I just wanted to make some vague effort to make people aware.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

You can find the admin's 'reasoning' for it in reply to me in the last pages of the CSPAM reconciliation thread, but you won't get any actual details because there's a blanket of bollocks and arbitrary terror being drawn over it by the people with power. I'm not even linking to that because just making this post is more than I'm honestly comfortable with.

Which is sad to say after nearly twenty years of being on SA.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 30, 2019

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
There’s at least a little peripheral discussion of it in the CSPAM truth and reconciliation thread (and someone bought a bunch of red text avs with the info that has been getting deleted, but I think those all got deleted too.)

But yes, the admins are very aggressive in enforcement of discussion and I’m not really eager to post more for fear of banning.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
It's nothing new. Reece and FLG are in the OP and a lot of goons act like there's no other way to play outside of ITC therefore he's too big to boycott and so turn a blind eye to him.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't know if this is related to the Democratic Primary Thread invasion, some 30k in-joke, or some hot & fresh new garbage.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

This isn't exactly a new problem for Star Wars. See also: the most famous and celebrated cosplay group for all of Star Wars being...stormtroopers.

Who are, y'know, literally named for Nazis and are all but explicitly a Nazi analogue.

And like, the cosplayers aren't bad people and do a lot of charity work but it still makes me real uncomfortable.

I think a lot of the popularity for it comes from the fact that anyone can be a stormtrooper/Vader because of the helmets. It's a lot more fun to dress up exactly as something than it is to just be "that person in that other person's famous costume". Just sucks that they're also the bad guy nazi analogues.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TTerrible posted:

This is an insanely lovely thing that you're doing here, and I think you know it.

EDIT: You can have legitimate grievances with the way we run Goonhammer, but couching everything in this vague ominous poo poo to make it sound like we're giving all the money we don't have to Mitch PetRaper, CEO of Stormfront, is a bit much.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ANAmal.net posted:

This is an insanely lovely thing that you're doing here, and I think you know it.

EDIT: You can have legitimate grievances with the way we run Goonhammer, but couching everything in this vague ominous poo poo to make it sound like we're giving all the money we don't have to Mitch PetRaper, CEO of Stormfront, is a bit much.

I'm not sure how aware you are of the weirdness that's gone on recently but two (three?) people have been permabanned for quoting posts about it - without context yeah those posts come off as very weird but I'm not surprised they're being cagey.

On the other hand its what, $10 for a new account.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah it's extremely lovely when compared to the actions of the sucking void of inhumanity cloaked in human skin that you're happy to work with on Goonhammer.

I'm being vague in a naive hope that I don't get perma'd for this. My point is: Don't give money to whatever goonhammer patreon is setup, they're protecting an absolutely vile person that has done more real damage to human beings than any slightly fashy youtuber or greenstuf roller with the black sun on it.

It's very easy to come in here and shout me down when I by design cannot post any proof.

Again: Do not give money to any kind of goonhammer patreon while they protect people like this.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ANAmal.net posted:

Well give us your side of the story. I don't know what this is all about, but I'm betting you know who they're talking about and are ready to explain to us why they're not "morally abhorrent." Then maybe I can figure out what the gently caress is going on without anyone being perma'd.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well give us your side of the story. I don't know what this is all about, but I'm betting you know who they're talking about and are ready to explain to us why they're not "morally abhorrent." Then maybe I can figure out what the gently caress is going on without anyone being perma'd.

Same rules for everyone, friendo. I can't get into it on SA any more than anyone else can, and I'm sure as poo poo not dedicating any time or energy on Goonhammer about it. All I can say is that we're aware of the situation and it is far less shocking than anyone here is making it out be - no one that writes for the site is a cop, or a troop, or any other brand of murderer.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
Admin edit: Doxxing was here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Godspeed, you hero.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

It's nothing new. Reece and FLG are in the OP and a lot of goons act like there's no other way to play outside of ITC therefore he's too big to boycott and so turn a blind eye to him.

The same people who're screaming about a guy writing for our site are happily making content for FLG, incidentally. Check them out! https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2019/11/20/night-lords-vs-sons-of-horus-zone-mortalis-warhammer-30k-battle-report/

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

What's your Venmo so I can @you 10 dollars for a new account

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ANAmal.net posted:

Same rules for everyone, friendo. I can't get into it on SA any more than anyone else can, and I'm sure as poo poo not dedicating any time or energy on Goonhammer about it. All I can say is that we're aware of the situation and it is far less shocking than anyone here is making it out be - no one that writes for the site is a cop, or a troop, or any other brand of murderer.

You're either a gullible idiot or an incompetent liar.

Tell us, are you the former or the latter?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Corrode posted:

The same people who're screaming about a guy writing for our site are happily making content for FLG, incidentally. Check them out! https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2019/11/20/night-lords-vs-sons-of-horus-zone-mortalis-warhammer-30k-battle-report/

None of the people in that video are posting in this thread what are you talking about

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
I know everyone has a price, but come the gently caress on, "clicks for my toy soldier fan website" ? That's it?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Corrode posted:

That's one hell of a what-about-ism you got there.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Oh wait is this still about that dropnuts shitbag B4TBG who threw a tantrum because they couldn't handle having to read this thread? That guy?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
they're talking about beer4thebeergod, the permabans were not to prevent people from saying his username like he's voldemort but bc (rightly or wrongly) jeffrey of yospos thought he was being stalked and doxxed, and I have no clue why everyone itt is acting like they're hiding from the gestapo in an attic

literally the worst case scenario here is that you have to pay ten dollars for a new account for saying that, which I won't, for posting that

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

ANAmal.net posted:

This is an incredible 1-2 post combo Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The weirdly specific "no troops, no cops" thing made me think they'd hired grover but lol they did actually find a grover?