Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Seawolves, Hellsguard, and Hingans all have their own language based on in game sources. I'm sure a cursory examination would find considerably more examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hogama posted:

Arenvald gets to ride the prototype Ironworks Dreadnought.

I am ready to serve, again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Arenvald becomes chief Scion and helps run things with Tataru, taking a more active role.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtgQMdkFM6I
(heads up: loud siren at the start)

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 26, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Eimi posted:

I am ready to serve, again.

Even in Death Unto Dawn I still surf

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The WoL can also understand all languages and that's why everyone speaks English

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

All dragons speak Dragon, especially the kids. There's that Moogle Beast Quest where the baby dragons are loving around with the Temple Knights airship and the knights don't know wtf they want, but you can understand them and make them toy airships to play with. The knights are all "wow they are kids who like cool poo poo just like anyone else we almost really hosed up here"

Edit: I love to read dialogue boxes and remember things that I'm told and shown, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I know I'm doing it wrong.

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 26, 2021

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

it's really hosed up to know what happens in a beast quest.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CYBEReris posted:

honestly I think since the arc is concluding they might for once address the consequences of y'shtola cheating death so many times and have her choose to go out with a bang instead of a whimper

casting flare in the sharlayan forum, ambitious

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Languages don't come up very frequently because the Echo translates for you, and having translators show up for everyone else doesn't really seem relevant or necessary for the story they want to tell, but there are a bunch of languages in the lore. Pretty much every culture has one, or had one until people converged around the Eorzean language for trading purposes and it became the common tongue. The use of other languages is mostly mentioned in connection to more remote places and best tribes now. Your ability to understand moogles was a plot point in the 1.0 Gridanian opening, Y'shtola translating from Sahagin was important in the 1.0 Limsa opening, and, less relevantly, Ramuh's theme has a verse in Old High Sylphic. If you can get your hands on Encyclopedia Eorzea 2, pages 34-40 are all language stuff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If other languages didn't exist, we wouldn't have all the keikaku jokes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Moofia Boss Val posted:

What other languages? The only languages in FFXIV are 1. English, 2. Dragon (only spoken by Midgardsomr, Hraesvelgr, and Nidhogg and you understand it in your head anyway, all other Dragons just speak English), and 3. Ascian black speech/Ancient Amaurotine language (except everyone seems to understand it anyway).

The Domans do not speak another language. Gosetsu and Yugiri and the Doman refugees come to Eorzea and there are zero communication problems with them. Eorzean characters travel to Doma and Kugane and have zero communication problems.

Hingans and Domans do have their own language, as do Roes and also most of the dragons actually are speaking in dragon. These are all factual bits of the game referenced constantly everywhere. Read the text.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

erenoyo posted:

Not reading this lol

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Just realized that if there's a time skip, to 6.1, other stuff might happen.

We're gonna find Khloe grown up. She got a credit card as soon as she was legally able but then immediately maxed it out, and had to pay it off in Ul'dah gladiator fights, and now she chainsmokes and curses like a sailor.

But still gives us our weekly sticker game of course.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
A time skip seems like it would be a nightmare. You’d have to update the entire game to have changed for how long the time skip has been, or else you’d have places that are years in the past, like WoW.

Finished Bozja. The Diablo Armament was really loving cool. It’s really loving weird that they hid an epilogue to the story in Gabranth’s field notes. Seems like either Lyon killed him because he realized that Gabranth was going to die before achieving anything but still drag his troops with him, or they’re doing some weird rear end con where they just pretend he’s dead for reasons. Frankly, I’m not sure which is true

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
if there is going to be a time skip it's not going to be in a 6.x patch where they suddenly have to make a shitload of new assets

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They put in a line about Elezen having sudden growth spurts presumably so they could get away with the twins growing into giraffes in only a short timeskip which doesn't require updating anything else

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
To complete the FF4 reference Alphinaud and Alisaie will turn themselves to stone, and after the timeskip is when they'll get freed. Y'shtola will be Matoya's age and the Twins will still be 16.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

A time skip seems like it would be a nightmare. You’d have to update the entire game to have changed for how long the time skip has been, or else you’d have places that are years in the past, like WoW.

Finished Bozja. The Diablo Armament was really loving cool. It’s really loving weird that they hid an epilogue to the story in Gabranth’s field notes. Seems like either Lyon killed him because he realized that Gabranth was going to die before achieving anything but still drag his troops with him, or they’re doing some weird rear end con where they just pretend he’s dead for reasons. Frankly, I’m not sure which is true

Huh, that seems odd given the whole cutscene stinger where he was presented some special weapons? Like a took that as a big hint for future content.

Side note, god I hate Lyon.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

What did everyone think of the choice in Bozja? It felt really ridiculous to me. Like everything Misijia did was because she wanted to do it. She was the one gleefully tempering people and turning them into flesh abominations. That Basaljan tried to just say it was Gabranth responsible for her seemed really stupid and like insulting to my intelligence. So of course I picked the one in favor of executing her.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Eimi posted:

What did everyone think of the choice in Bozja? It felt really ridiculous to me. Like everything Misijia did was because she wanted to do it. She was the one gleefully tempering people and turning them into flesh abominations. That Basaljan tried to just say it was Gabranth responsible for her seemed really stupid and like insulting to my intelligence. So of course I picked the one in favor of executing her.

I wanted to execute her, but the prisoner exchange was brought up only a few sentences before the choice, so I left it up to him so we could possibly get some good out of this, like some captured prisoners alive so they can go back home to their families.

I'm guessing Misija will die either way by the end of Zadnor, either by execution at our hands, or dying later on if she is released. Haven't finished yet.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm pretty thoroughly anti-death penalty so I went the other way

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Eimi posted:

I haven't finished it, but I also picked execution. To me the strongest argument he put forward was an exchange of prisoners, because we know the Empire does go for that, but... Misija doesn't actually have any value to the IVth Legion after her failure, they wouldn't go for a prisoner swap because they don't want her either. So to me it came down to 'execute now or execute later', and... at this point, why wait and risk revolt just so some rogue agents can get it done faster than the nascent state?

I'm typically against the death penalty, but... well, I don't see Misija surviving much of a 'life in prison' sentence anyway.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

When it came up my mind immediately went back to Raubahn asking you what they should do with Yuyuhase and Laurentius in 4.1, in the sense of if the player's answer to that kind of question had changed in the interim. Personally, I'm pretty sure I remember saying they shouldn't execute those two, but I suggested that Misijia should be executed.

It doesn't seem to make much of a different outside of the mood around the dagger scene at the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Executing a captured prisoner without trial is needless and pointlessly cruel.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's a good thing she dies before it has to come up then

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

ImpAtom posted:

Executing a captured prisoner without trial is needless and pointlessly cruel.

That's why I picked the third option. The first two seemed to be asking for a decision without trial, and that's the chance to admonish everyone for the societal issues that caused her defection, THEN kill her.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
What the hell is the end of Bozja? Misija is just like instantly forgiven for everything and then Gabranth and the entire IVth legion are defeated and Dalmasca is freed, off screen. Also Diabolos is still alive, maybe?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

thetoughestbean posted:

I assumed that it was a set-up: aside from the stuff about Gabranth's body being burnt beyond recognition and the "ghost of Gabranth," the field notes mention that he was ostensibly killed by Lyon, who escaped from prison. Which is interesting, because we saw in the last cutscene in Dalmasca that Meninius dying demanded a change of some mysterious plan which seemed to necessitate Lyon going to jail, which he agreed to. Which all smells like a staged spectacle to me. But I guess we'll see in 6.x! I'm hoping he's alive and the Dalmasca plot continues but either way this whole Bozja arc was a lot of fun

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah there's no way they let gabranth get out of bozja and then give him a vague "or is it???" death offscreen if they didn't have plans to run with this in the future, or at least wanted to intentionally leave it open in case they can come back to it later

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I mean, I know I'm not gonna turn down sequel hooks for More Matsuno Content.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

How Wonderful! posted:

I assumed that it was a set-up: aside from the stuff about Gabranth's body being burnt beyond recognition and the "ghost of Gabranth," the field notes mention that he was ostensibly killed by Lyon, who escaped from prison. Which is interesting, because we saw in the last cutscene in Dalmasca that Meninius dying demanded a change of some mysterious plan which seemed to necessitate Lyon going to jail, which he agreed to. Which all smells like a staged spectacle to me. But I guess we'll see in 6.x! I'm hoping he's alive and the Dalmasca plot continues but either way this whole Bozja arc was a lot of fun

Where was this mentioned? The last I saw was Gabranth saying he was dying which still leaves plenty of time for him to things in 6.1.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Spuzzz posted:

Where was this mentioned? The last I saw was Gabranth saying he was dying which still leaves plenty of time for him to things in 6.1.

It says it in the field notes on him you get for completing the last Bozja quest.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It seems super bizarre to have the stinger cutscene, then the field notes be like "nah, he dead," ... although the notes also make a point to say that noone is sure it was actually him, and Lyon and others are still at large.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Bruceski posted:

That's why I picked the third option. The first two seemed to be asking for a decision without trial, and that's the chance to admonish everyone for the societal issues that caused her defection, THEN kill her.

Yeah I went third option. It was your lovely society that produced this monster, you loving deal with it your own dumbass way. This is squarely on your shoulders.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I feel like the narration in the last cutscene gives the best context for the decision about Misija: Basjaljen knew she was guilty as hell but really struggled with the decision to punish her without trial because he feels responsible for not noticing just how bad the problems that caused her defection were. That’s why I chose to say that ultimately Gabranth and Menenius were to blame: not because I thought Misija was blameless (she did some horrific poo poo!) but because I wanted to give him the emotional support to not just summarily execute her.

Bozja ended up feeling a like a really good continuation of Stormblood

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Always spare fem Roe, they're an endangered species. If it were a Lala or Mi'quote she'd have an axe through her skull before the question was even asked.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

thetoughestbean posted:

I feel like the narration in the last cutscene gives the best context for the decision about Misija: Basjaljen knew she was guilty as hell but really struggled with the decision to punish her without trial because he feels responsible for not noticing just how bad the problems that caused her defection were. That’s why I chose to say that ultimately Gabranth and Menenius were to blame: not because I thought Misija was blameless (she did some horrific poo poo!) but because I wanted to give him the emotional support to not just summarily execute her.

Bozja ended up feeling a like a really good continuation of Stormblood

yeah, that's exactly how I felt. I hope they continue the story with what happened to Lyon after loving off out of gaol, and the reveal about Ashelia, and bozjan and dalmascan restoration.

also dear Mikoto: lol who needs Cid, you got Lilja and Fran right there. that motorcycle rescue ruled

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hopefully there's room to follow up with more Ivalice stuff in later expansions.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Chocobo posted:

Always spare fem Roe, they're an endangered species. If it were a Lala or Mi'quote she'd have an axe through her skull before the question was even asked.

Same, also the fact that she looked almost exactly like my character(but with a different hairstyle/hair color) made me really not want to see her die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Argas posted:

Hopefully there's room to follow up with more Ivalice stuff in later expansions.

Legit agree. I think one of the weird things about the Ivalice stuff is that the narrative weight is so heavily built off the fact you can't visit most of Ilsabard and Othard, so the end result is they can keep (especially with field record stuff) constantly painting a much bigger world than the constraints of an MMO normally allows for. There's constant references to cultures and states that would undoubtedly be sort of disappointing if it was represented like the classic city-states, although in general I think the clear implication is there's lots of areas we just don't visit and most of the cities are supposed to be far larger than they are.