Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

honestly I think since the arc is concluding they might for once address the consequences of y'shtola cheating death so many times and have her choose to go out with a bang instead of a whimper

Yeah they've definitely hinted in the past that she's living on borrowed time. Matoya pretty much outright states it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Finished the quests, yeah Endwalkers gonna gently caress me right up.

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

Begemot posted:

We'd better get more of this subplot :allears:

Ser Estinien, mayhap you might enjoy this? It is a tale from the far east, however instead of prose it contains only dialog and illustrations! And even queerer still, it is read from starboard to larboard!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

GentlemanGiant posted:

Ser Estinien, mayhap you might enjoy this? It is a tale from the far east, however instead of prose it contains only dialog and illustrations! And even queerer still, it is read from starboard to larboard!

Forsooth, yon events transpiring are alike to an example of mine Hingan tales...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The end of 6.0 has every living being on Hydaelyn, including every reflected shard, get turned into aether to save the world from the End of Days. All worlds are rejoined with no survivors and you're given new Post-Hydaelyn character slots to create new characters with (existing characters can still replay old content, but narratively you're always right before the final boss). 6.1 takes place 7000 years later in brand new world and city maps. The stinger of 6.55 is your new character unearthing a tomestone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hogama posted:

The stinger of 6.55 is your new character unearthing a tomestone.

My immediate thought here is the final shot of Jumanji.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
End of evangelion + Jumanji, yes

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

What's fun is you really can't say anyone's overestimating or underestimating how big 6.0 will end. It's really equally plausible

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They've specifically said you'll be taking your existing character into 6.x, I believe.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hogama posted:

The end of 6.0 has every living being on Hydaelyn, including every reflected shard, get turned into aether to save the world from the End of Days. All worlds are rejoined with no survivors and you're given new Post-Hydaelyn character slots to create new characters with (existing characters can still replay old content, but narratively you're always right before the final boss). 6.1 takes place 7000 years later in brand new world and city maps. The stinger of 6.55 is your new character unearthing a tomestone.

Doing the Zodiark plan and every Rejoining at once, a bold move

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also it seems unreasonable to expect them to essentially develop an entirely new game's worth of maps and assets and characters and whatnot to be ready for 6.x in like February.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Also it seems unreasonable to expect them to essentially develop an entirely new game's worth of maps and assets and characters and whatnot to be ready for 6.x in like February.

That's what the extra three months on top of the COVID delay is for duh

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Moofia Boss Val posted:

A king is invested in the fate of his country. It is in his selfinterest to ensure the wellbeing and prosperity of his people and his land. The king cannot easily walk away from his kingdom when things go south; his fate is anchored to it. If his people revolt or his kingdom is invaded, he and his family will most likely die. The king is extremely motivated to act in the best interests of his kingdom.

Elected officials in a democracy, however, are not invested in the fate of their country. They do not own the land or the people, nor are they at personal risk if things go south. The worst thing that can happen to an elected official is that they don't win reelection. As such, elected officials tend to not act in the best interests of their country, but for personal gain. They will take bribes/lobbying money or pay back favors by voting to do things that are counter to the wellbeing of the people and the country.

Furthermore, kings are highly visible public figures. They cannot act as a tyrant, or else they won't be king for very long. Pop culture likes to depict evil kings a lot, but in history most evil kings who fell in line were quickly punished and regined in by the aristocracy, and if not... they were overthrown and killed, and replaced by someone else who doesn't antagonize the populace. Whereas democracy as an institution exists to hide who the real decision makers are (usually wealthy unelected officials who are bribing the elected officials to work for them). People in feudal kingdoms were often more free than people in modern democratic societies, but I digress.
Ala Mhigo had a bad king, and as what usually happens in history, he was overthrown rather quickly. The only notable damage he managed to accomplish was sneak attacking an order of monks and wiping them out, before the rest of the country promptly took up arms and shut down the king. I find it most incredulous, however, that there were apparently no survivors of the royal family whatsoever. Ala Mhigo must've had some pretty awful bookkeeping of the royal family's heritage for no one to be able to figure out who was the next one in the line of succession, be they a cousin five times removed or whatever. Even that couldn't be found, there surely had to be some popular aristocrats who would have been nominated to start the next dynasty. Even if all of the aristocratic families had somehow died out, they could have just grabbed some popular local community leader and made him one too.

Then again, the Ala Mhigo storyline in Stormblood is quite poorly written. We're talking about Conrad's resistance group - said to be the largest of the many different resistance groups - apparently didn't even have a successor they planned to restore the throne, let alone an idea for what kind of government they would establish. Conrad also brought up that there were multiple factions in the Resistance with different ideas for what Ala Mhigo's government should be, but we never see them and that conflict is never brought up again (would have been great patch story material, but alas).
Could have been made by a good willed Amaurotine like Azem or Venat, but once the founders died out the society could have easily derailed as the following generations had slightly different ideas from their predecessors, until by today modern Sharalayn ideology is unrecognizable from whatever it was originally like.
Going by how it seems that Sharlayan is somehow involved in the creation and working of the towers, I suspect that the Forum is in collusion with Fandaniel and Zenos.

https://twitter.com/chocoboof/status/1396233293708763136

I think that (5.55) dad saw which way the wind was blowing in the Forum, but disagrees with the rest of the Forum (who voted unanimously to reject Eorzea's call for aid). So to maintain appearances, he voted to agree with the plan. That means he won't have to resign or be imprisoned... or possibly killed. He still has some power. I'm guessing he's going to try to work from behind the scenes to stop whatever is happening. He may have cut ties with his kids in order to keep them from being targetted by the Forum if they ever discover he is actually working against them. We know from the Astrologian storyline that the Forum is quite ruthless when comes to dealing with perceived traitors.
He was there as the Eastern Alliance's representative so the two continental alliances can coordinate with each other.

G'raha Tia was the useless guy in the room. He didn't have a single line at the meeting. Then again, G'raha Tia and Alphinaud are constantly fighting for screentime whenever they are in the same scene together. Whenever Alphinaud is the lead speaker, G'raha Tia has nothing to say, and vice versa.

Not reading this lol

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

erenoyo posted:

Not reading this lol

Then why the hell did you quote all of it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
someone edit that first paragraph into a praetorium text box

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

There are three things that I guarantee you about 6.1:

- There will have been a time skip
- The twins will be aged up
- There will be catmoms*

Everything outside of this is speculation, but it's far more probable it'll just feel like a new story arc, not a new game.

*I will probably be one of them

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

While I assume 6.0 will be finishing the primary story, of Zodiark, Hydalean and Ascians and all that junk, I kind of assume 6.x will be a lot of smaller closure and post mortem as we maybe help out with the aftermath of things around the places we've been before, and kind of plan for the future, while obviously building up whatever new threat/adventure will be in 7.0. Like, I can't imagine the break between 6.0 and 6.1 is going to be so dramatic, because of the work involved?

The culmination of Bozja: Seems to be maybe setting up that the liberation of Dalmasca / the Fourth Legion are still something to be dealt with? Nothing about EW's story seems to suggest they'll be dealt with there, and I can't imagine they'll just die off screen unceremoniously. Maybe it will just be the EW version of Bozja/Eureka.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

hazardousmouse posted:

He's dicking around cause that's how he gets our attention. Poor dude is so busted he literally doesn't know any other way of getting us to come over other than committing atrocities

Are we talking about Zenos or Moofia?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Something I thought was fun during the patch was the shoutout to one of our seldom seen Scion compatriots.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hogama posted:

Something I thought was fun during the patch was the shoutout to one of our seldom seen Scion compatriots.

You call it a shoutout, I call it "he's plugged into one of those towers."

Just checked the "meanwhile at the Capital" cutscene and while there are some roes among the bodies and one had almost the right skin tone I don't think any were him. I mean, if they wanted to make it noticeable they'd leave the helmet off.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Add a motor and we got something

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This would suck. I don’t want Arenvald fighting anymore. He was never good at fighting, he just felt obligated to do so because he had a rare trait that let him potentially fight extremely dangerous things.

Now that he can’t fight (physical battles) anymore he’s free to find what he has a true talent for. A way to contribute to The Fight as more than just a fool with a sword. Like Fordola said, there is more to being a hero than that.

I will be extremely disappointed if they do some magical or technological asspull and “fix” his new disability.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Bruceski posted:

You call it a shoutout, I call it "he's plugged into one of those towers."

Just checked the "meanwhile at the Capital" cutscene and while there are some roes among the bodies and one had almost the right skin tone I don't think any were him. I mean, if they wanted to make it noticeable they'd leave the helmet off.
Seems kind of rude to name the patch after him and not show us, then.

Arenvald will take over as the Scions' lead administrator to allow Tataru to go into the field with us.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I don't know, I'd kinda like if Arenvald is able to keep adventuring while being disabled?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Arenvald becomes a therapist and marries Fordola. They have three kids

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This would suck. I don’t want Arenvald fighting anymore. He was never good at fighting, he just felt obligated to do so because he had a rare trait that let him potentially fight extremely dangerous things.

Now that he can’t fight (physical battles) anymore he’s free to find what he has a true talent for. A way to contribute to The Fight as more than just a fool with a sword. Like Fordola said, there is more to being a hero than that.

I will be extremely disappointed if they do some magical or technological asspull and “fix” his new disability.

Agreed on all counts.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Arenvald becomes a therapist and marries Fordola. They have three kids

But I want my WoL to marry Fordola.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Eimi posted:

can't in case Fordola goes to Mars

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Eimi posted:

polygamy is legal on the moon

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

He becomes Tataru’s apprentice and ascends to godhood.

Also liked how the patch called out that, unlike Alphy’s little band, the Scions don’t suck because Tataru weeds out the crap.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Now that he can’t fight (physical battles) anymore he’s free to find what he has a true talent for.

They're just gonna do a repeat of Jean Havoc's change of career.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

derra posted:

He becomes Tataru’s apprentice and ascends to godhood.

Also liked how the patch called out that, unlike Alphy’s little band, the Scions don’t suck because Tataru weeds out the crap.

Tataru is the strongest lifeform after all. All the baddies fight the Scions to avoid fighting her.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

If Arenvald chooses to rejoin combat I'm sure we can have a G-Warrior ready for him.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Zomborgon posted:

If Arenvald chooses to rejoin combat I'm sure we can have a G-Warrior ready for him.

If the G-Warrior's cockpit is exactly the same as the Gundam's, then Arenvald would still need to be able to control his feet in order to operate the foot pedals.

Or I guess Arenvald could undergo surgery to get an Alaya-Vijnana spinal implant so he can control the robot through his nervous system, but I doubt Cid would be okay with that.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Arenvald gets to ride the prototype Ironworks Dreadnought.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

arenvald learns linux and becomes the ironworks' official hacker

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Whatever else happens, Arenvald is magically fluent in all languages and probably has a great future in diplomancy and leadership.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Arenveld will be the Ragnarok's pilot. He's gonna drive us to the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Rand Brittain posted:

Whatever else happens, Arenvald is magically fluent in all languages and probably has a great future in diplomancy and leadership.

What other languages? The only languages in FFXIV are 1. English, 2. Dragon (only spoken by Midgardsomr, Hraesvelgr, and Nidhogg and you understand it in your head anyway, all other Dragons just speak English), and 3. Ascian black speech/Ancient Amaurotine language (except everyone seems to understand it anyway).

The Domans do not speak another language. Gosetsu and Yugiri and the Doman refugees come to Eorzea and there are zero communication problems with them. Eorzean characters travel to Doma and Kugane and have zero communication problems.