Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they have sea shanties in the game apperently.

They make it sound like the shanties are more the sailors singing about your own accomplishments so it’s a shanty kind of but not like Black Flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Skeezy posted:

They make it sound like the shanties are more the sailors singing about your own accomplishments so it’s a shanty kind of but not like Black Flag.

ehh, i'll take it.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Proceeding on a tour of the series. Just finished Brotherhood. The last couple memories kinda railroad you to the end eh? I had a couple side things to finish yet and was expecting more of an opportunity to deal with them after memory 8.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Video describing the entire Nemesis-like mercenary system with a breakdown of special affixes, unique backstories, and loot. TW: Dutch accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uGwU7pTCEY

This looks totally insane! Gotta kick 'em all.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

i'm the bear that literally gets conjured out of thin air

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

i'm the bear that literally gets conjured out of thin air

Bear of eden.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

didn't know adam was cool that way but awesome

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

didn't know adam was cool that way but awesome

If there’s one guy you want to not be gay, though

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So they shoot an enemy for like 11k damage and just take a small piece of health off. What is even the point of making numbers this big? Just pare everything down by an order of thousands or something.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This thread missed a terrible opportunity to be named

rear end-rear end-in's Creed: Odyssey - Time to go Greek

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

PureRok posted:

So they shoot an enemy for like 11k damage and just take a small piece of health off. What is even the point of making numbers this big? Just pare everything down by an order of thousands or something.

I've always felt this way about sports games. I used to play Madden a lot in middle school and having 40 or 50 traits each with a 100 point scale seemed unnecessary. Make it 1 to 10 and allow the differences to actually matter.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Madden (and plenty of other sports games, like The Show) are far more grognardy than most modern RPGs and it's weird as hell.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Madden (and plenty of other sports games, like The Show) are far more grognardy than most modern RPGs and it's weird as hell.

stupid question(i have never played a madden game) so do you have like direct control of your character or is it just make play and AI goes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven’t played a football game since tecmo bowl so any mechanic more complicated than “bo Jackson is the fastest” is out of my league

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DrNutt posted:

Madden players are apparently pretty gorgnardy, too.

:ocelot::unsmigghh:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

stupid question(i have never played a madden game) so do you have like direct control of your character or is it just make play and AI goes.

Usually either is an option, but direct control is the main appeal. They also usually have stuff related to managing or training the team, etc.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Usually either is an option, but direct control is the main appeal. They also usually have stuff related to managing or training the team, etc.

hmm. i always assumed it was more vague AI control. etc.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Skeezy posted:

It always bugged me how sort've "clean" the sea shanties were sung. Like it was clearly done by some professional dork reenactors choir or something, when they should have just got a bunch of drunk football hooligans to sing them all.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Drinking and being drunk is for being at port and as special rewards if at sea, not while actually sailing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vadoc posted:

Drinking and being drunk is for being at port and as special rewards if at sea, not while actually sailing.

You know what they do with a drunken sailor, don’t you

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vadoc posted:

If you mean historically, the no, sailors were very often drunk while sailing. They had a ration of beer and rum, and it was quite common for sailors to save their rum for a week and then drink it all in one go and get blitzed on a Sunday.

If it became a problem, then they would water down the rum and turn it into grog to discourage the practice. And even if a sailor was caught being excessively drunk, they might get lashes or forfeiture of their share, but never, ever would they withhold their allotment of beer and rum.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
My point was they sing too purty for a bunch of pirates. It's like that punk band that had an awesome singer, but the rest of the band thought his voice was too good so they'd make him get shitfaced before they ever recorded any songs.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
if they sucked at singing it would sound horrible

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I’ve played nearly every iteration in this big dumb series, and I’m hype as hell for gorgons and summonable bears. AC is best when it lets its freak flag fly.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

My point was they sing too purty for a bunch of pirates.
They can even hit the high notes, it's just too bad they're tone deaf!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9bXjttMxKY

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fart City posted:

I’ve played nearly every iteration in this big dumb series, and I’m hype as hell for gorgons and summonable bears. AC is best when it lets its freak flag fly.

this. they seem to have finaly hit their sweet spot(for most people) gameplay wise. so maybe they will try to hit different eras now. ubisoft was talking about how next gen they may try to do multiple eras in a game.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
*in very ResetEra voice* I want an AC that's just the modern day subplot!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lambert posted:

*in very ResetEra voice* I want an AC that's just the modern day subplot!

then play watch dogs. lol, that takes place in the universe.

but yeah, they really love the modern plot poo poo and to fight about whether the voice actors have the right sexuality for the role.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dapper_Swindler posted:

then play watch dogs. lol, that takes place in the universe.

but yeah, they really love the modern plot poo poo and to fight about whether the voice actors have the right sexuality for the role.

doesn't the ubisoft ceo get murdered in that?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

doesn't the ubisoft ceo get murdered in that?

Yes.

Adrien Pearce murders the CEO of Abstergo Entertainment. Paving the way for the most adorable CEO, Melanie!.

No crossover stuff in Watch_Dogs 2 though, would have liked a side mission storming an Abstergo facility.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Snuffman posted:

Yes.

Adrien Pearce murders the CEO of Abstergo Entertainment. Paving the way for the most adorable CEO, Melanie!.

No crossover stuff in Watch_Dogs 2 though, would have liked a side mission storming an Abstergo facility.

Just more proof that Aiden Pearce was the better protagonist and Watch_Dogs 1 was the better game (it was).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Watch Dogs 2 had you hacking the actual Ubisoft instead

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

PureRok posted:

Just more proof that Aiden Pearce was the better protagonist and Watch_Dogs 1 was the better game (it was).

Haha, how'd you come up with this? I'd like to hear your arguments, since it doesn't match up with my experiences at all, or what I perceive the general feeling.

I can't decide if I oughta buy Origins now and then Odyssey when it comes out or just pick up Odyssey... I might just play Origins when the price has came down a couple times, it's been out for long enough and I haven't played it, I can't see it spoiling anything in Odyssey.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Watch Dogs 2 had you hacking the actual Ubisoft instead

WD2 just couldn't decide if it wanted to be goofy and fun or dark and real. At least WD1 knew it wanted to be dark and broody.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

“We’re gonna pull an epic lulz on this movie studio and steal the prop car!”

*i storm the gates and kill all the guards with an ak-47 to no real consequence*

“That was sick bro!”

(I still liked the game better than the first though )

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

My point was they sing too purty for a bunch of pirates. It's like that punk band that had an awesome singer, but the rest of the band thought his voice was too good so they'd make him get shitfaced before they ever recorded any songs.

I totally agree and idk why people are being pedantic about this.

David Byrne once said, in an interview with himself "the better a person's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying".

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
They sound like a group of reasonably salty dudes singing okay to me. It's not Freddie Mercury belting out ballads in a crystal clear tenor (which would be cool because people would flip, but yes).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Black flags shanties were great. What are we doing here

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i hope there's cool stuff to find underwater and also sea monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

isk posted:

They sound like a group of reasonably salty dudes singing okay to me. It's not Freddie Mercury belting out ballads in a crystal clear tenor (which would be cool because people would flip, but yes).

I just like the conceit that you managed to find a small chorus of angel voiced sailors among your crew of miscreants
Plus all that brown liquor and salty sea air must have polished their throats to a gruff, deep and melodious mirror sheen