Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

hobbesmaster posted:

So how long until they ruin Brienne?

Season 5 where she stood around waiting for a candle to be lit all season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

some guy on the bus posted:

That's like the female knight equivalent of carrying a printer around.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

some guy on the bus posted:

Better than wandering aimlessly for 2 books.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Bonus epilogue: Dany and Jon and Dany's newborn all die of Daario strain Hypersyphilis.

The real enemy was unprotected sex the whole time.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

maybe the books aren't coming out because gurm has been busy ghostwriting The Expanse for ty franck all this time

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's hard to remember how good this show used to be. A reminder:

I had forgotten. Although I never liked the last clip for some reason.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

They could not have picked a better actor for Jaime. It's a god drat shame they hosed up his story so badly. Walder is sooooo good and looks the part from beginning to end. The bath scene is just one of many. gently caress this show used to be so god drat good what the gently caress. I feel bipolar watching the new poo poo and feeling like I enjoyed it, then remembering how it used to be and being sad again. I would honestly punch the absolute fucker in the face if I saw him for making me give a poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, Jaime's story feels the most hosed up for sure. I would much rather have him kicking around the Riverlands talking to random nobles than whatever the hell this is.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's hard to remember how good this show used to be. A reminder:

For real. Now it feels like they've gone out of their way to discard all nuance and give us the story everyone could predict.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kingslayerrrr

geddinereee

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like I know there are lots of people, men and women alike, who look at Dany and somehow see an empowered heroine, I've had the displeasure of meeting some, but I don't loving get how anyone can be so stupid.
She starts as a slave, ends up as one of the most powerful people in the world. Frees slaves along the way. Wants to "break the wheel". Maybe you have different definition of empowered? I mean, I'm open to being wrong here, but "anyone can be that stupid" is a bit extreme don't you think?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

She's a monstrous person and even if you think she means well (which involves directly ignoring her stated motivations) then the fact still remains that her entire legacy is literally death and ruin. Every single place she visited in Essos she left a smoking ruin, literally or metaphorically. Everywhere she goes she has literally left naught but death and ruin in her wake.

EDIT: And that's not even bringing up the Iraq Wars metaphors or the fact she's practically White Privilege: the character.
Again I think "monstrous" is a bit extreme. Naive? yes. Inexperienced? of loving course - but a monster? why so strong?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PupsOfWar posted:

maybe the books aren't coming out because gurm has been busy ghostwriting The Expanse for ty franck all this time

"busy writing" cm'on now...

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

kcroy posted:

She starts as a slave, ends up as one of the most powerful people in the world. Frees slaves along the way. Wants to "break the wheel". Maybe you have different definition of empowered? I mean, I'm open to being wrong here, but "anyone can be that stupid" is a bit extreme don't you think?

Not a rhetorical question: does it count as being empowered if the only reason you have power is that the plot people threw endless money, soldiers, advisors, and dragon eggs at you because of who your father was?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In the books the hypocrisy surrounding Dany and the fact that she can't even notice the various ways in which she's privileged and absurdly lucky is obviously intentional, in the show who knows.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

In the books the hypocrisy surrounding Dany and the fact that she can't even notice the various ways in which she's privileged and absurdly lucky is obviously intentional, in the show who knows.

Also the contrast between how she essentially refuses to see her privileged status and so is constantly undermined by the assumption she deserves her victories and how Jon quickly learns how lucky he was to grow up with Ned and he learns to actually respect that he can use his luck to help others as well if he understands where they're coming from.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

kcroy posted:

Again I think "monstrous" is a bit extreme. Naive? yes. Inexperienced? of loving course - but a monster? why so strong?

Hard to use this bit as evidence either way until the show gives some indication of what the gently caress "breaking the wheel" actually means and involves. Someone ask Preston Jacobs, I'm sure he's got a theory or ten

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Crameltonian posted:

Hard to use this bit as evidence either way until the show gives some indication of what the gently caress "breaking the wheel" actually means and involves. Someone ask Preston Jacobs, I'm sure he's got a theory or ten

He actually discusses this in his latest video, he says that he believes the idea came from GRRM but that generally the books are already so far behind it's really just a guessing game.

poo poo this makes Preston sound reasonable.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He actually discusses this in his latest video, he says that he believes the idea came from GRRM but that generally the books are already so far behind it's really just a guessing game.

poo poo this makes Preston sound reasonable.

Nothing about how the series actually takes place on a Ringworld and 'breaking the wheel' is a reference to Dany wanting to break it apart because ???? Man, it feels like everyone's just going through the motions these days.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If she really wanted to break the wheel she would set up a Republic. Instead she wants to be queen of the 7 kingdoms because of birthright. So basically her "breaking the wheel" just means changing a tire on the side of the road.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

All my Social Media friends are very angry at GRRM, specifically, for the poor overall quality of last few episodes. I don't know if that is hilarious or sad.

Probably both.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Had he not publicly divorced D&D after season 4 so he could "dedicate himself to the book" the show would have probably been much, much better.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dangerllama posted:

All my Social Media friends are very angry at GRRM, specifically, for the poor overall quality of last few episodes. I don't know if that is hilarious or sad.

Probably both.

For all his faults read his writing credits before you go hitting him for the television program he's been adapting into a series of novels

quote:

Martin announced that he would not write a script for Season 5, to focus on writing the next novel. In March 2015, he also announced that he will voluntarily not be writing an episode for Season 6 either, as it would take about a month's worth of writing time away from his continuing work on the novel series.[5]

my man

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

kcroy posted:

"busy writing" cm'on now...

furthermore maybe ty franck was never real

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

syscall girl posted:

For all his faults read his writing credits before you go hitting him for the television program he's been adapting into a series of novels

That's what's so funny to me. I feel like it's fitting that he has to own the awful, awful end to a series he's now got pretty much nothing to do with

e: also this.

https://twitter.com/jonrosenberg/status/900968293955129345

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 26, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

In hindsight this is pretty hilarious:

quote:

Martin announced that he would not write a script for Season 5, to focus on writing the next novel. In March 2015, he also announced that he will voluntarily not be writing an episode for Season 6 either, as it would take about a month's worth of writing time away from his continuing work on the novel series.[5]

Oh no, not a whole month of delay!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

In hindsight this is pretty hilarious:

Oh no, not a whole month of delay!

I'm reading it right now.

You will not believe what Melisandre is getting up to.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Hearing things that Brendan Fraser will be casted for S8 to dispel her.

It's a tight race between him and Tom Cruise.

I know Cruise is old af and Fraser's career is nearly impossible to find so we'll see how that goes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Not impossible that Dolph Lundgren is in the running

#only80skids

(I just had to do the trifecta, I sincerely apologize)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dangerllama posted:

That's what's so funny to me. I feel like it's fitting that he has to own the awful, awful end to a series he's now got pretty much nothing to do with

e: also this.

https://twitter.com/jonrosenberg/status/900968293955129345

I'd 100% unironically accept an all-musical GoT episode that focuses on Tormund, the Hound, and Drogon.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PupsOfWar posted:

furthermore maybe ty franck was never real

I think it is more likely that Ty was ghostwriting than the other way around.

Solice Kirsk posted:

If she really wanted to break the wheel she would set up a Republic. Instead she wants to be queen of the 7 kingdoms because of birthright. So basically her "breaking the wheel" just means changing a tire on the side of the road.
I agree with you, but is that realistic or even a requirement of being empowered? Freeing the slaves was definitely a step in that direction - I'm not sure it is fair to expect her to create an entirely new form of government. I mean basically she's doing the benevolent dictator thing - but that is still a step above the status quo. So yeah, you are right it really is just changing the tire but we are saying that from our modern perspective.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I didn't get that in the book. I got that she is making mistakes and being a lovely ruler - but I don't see those as being about her not checking her privilege or something. You say she is absurdly lucky, but she takes some pretty bold actions:
-abandoning her brother to his fate
-eating that heart
-transitioning to her new life with the dothraki
-Killing Drogo and attempting to take over the khal
-walking into a giant loving bonfire
-trading her ships for mercenaries, against advice, and then using that to take over astapor

Is she "woke as gently caress?" no - and of course she was set up for much of this. When we look in her privilege knapsack, we see education, beauty, hereditary benefits, financial backers, etc. But compare that to Sansa - who had all of these things but is completely a pawn, and for the most part happy with it. I mean it turns out poorly, but you don't see her becoming an agent of her own actions in the books.

I think it is understandable that people would see Dany as an empowered woman / heroine. Is she a good leader? From a military point of view, she is doing pretty great early on in the books . Part of the problem with all this is GRRM hasn't finished, and even if he were to - the lack of editing is a loving problem. I mean he could be reinforcing that seizing power isn't the same as ruling ( echoing Robert's experience ). He could be comparing and contrasting the leader that is handed everything ( Joffrey or Tommen ) regardless of their fitness, to Jon who has to prove his fitness to succeed.. but then tempering it with Dany who shows that fitness is more than just conquering. But then what the gently caress is Faegon about? He has the same loving type of backstory as Jon. I feel that these would have been refined with some decent editing.

NihilCredo posted:

Not a rhetorical question: does it count as being empowered if the only reason you have power is that the plot people threw endless money, soldiers, advisors, and dragon eggs at you because of who your father was?

It isn't the only reason - you could have thrown all of those things at someone else and they would still be riding around with Dothraki, unlike Dany who is... oh.. well you get the point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She's not empowered because she's inherited all of her power from others just throwing it at her. It's like saying the spoiled rich kid that turned his daddy's loan of 5mil dollars into 6mil dollars over the course of 10 years is a financial genius.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd 100% unironically accept an all-musical GoT episode that focuses on Tormund, the Hound, and Drogon.

Davos and Hot Pie have to participate.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ya shes not empowered shes just uhh powerful. those are actualky different things and this post isnt sarcastic

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

She's not empowered because she's inherited all of her power from others just throwing it at her. It's like saying the spoiled rich kid that turned his daddy's loan of 5mil dollars into 6mil dollars over the course of 10 years is a financial genius.

So how does that compare to the others in the running?

Winterfell was pretty nice before some dickhead burned down the library

Name your poorest and most deprived major character because it's Richie Rich looking at exciting maps tomorrow

Greyjoys can go get hosed and eat fish while drowning like the poverty-stricken losers they are

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Didn't see this posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptCERgbR9nk

Still watching (sad), so hmm some highlights until the 16th minute:
* George is afraid of the internet, thinks people should stop sending him hate mail
* George still goes on about how he doesn't get why people are shipping Sandor with Sansa and says the word SanSan

edit: oh obviously ignore the title cause he didn't say a single word about TWOW so far.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

kcroy posted:

I think it is understandable that people would see Dany as an empowered woman / heroine. Is she a good leader? From a military point of view, she is doing pretty great early on in the books . Part of the problem with all this is GRRM hasn't finished, and even if he were to - the lack of editing is a loving problem. I mean he could be reinforcing that seizing power isn't the same as ruling ( echoing Robert's experience ). He could be comparing and contrasting the leader that is handed everything ( Joffrey or Tommen ) regardless of their fitness, to Jon who has to prove his fitness to succeed.. but then tempering it with Dany who shows that fitness is more than just conquering. But then what the gently caress is Faegon about? He has the same loving type of backstory as Jon. I feel that these would have been refined with some decent editing.

Yeah, you'd think Dany might have learned that "seizing power isn't the same as ruling" from the Slaver's Bay clusterfuck, and that's why she's doing things differently going into Westeros. Then again, she hasn't been the best at learning from experience.

I'm sure the books (lol) would have worked this out in a more satisfying way, GRRM is/was preoccupied with questions of legitimacy, inheritance, what makes a king a king, etc. I like that line from Varys at the end of ADWD: "Tommen has been taught that kingship is his right, Aegon knows kingship is his duty"

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Cornflakes posted:

Yeah, you'd think Dany might have learned that "seizing power isn't the same as ruling" from the Slaver's Bay clusterfuck, and that's why she's doing things differently going into Westeros. Then again, she hasn't been the best at learning from experience.

Considering she dies in childbirth before ever getting to rule in Westeros, i'd say nothing she did in Slavers Bay matters at all.

On that note, in the end, since a Targ gets to rule a feudal kingdom with a Lannister as her Hand and no worries of anything beyond the wall, i'd say the events of the entire series are meaningless.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

On that note, in the end, since a Targ gets to rule a feudal kingdom with a Lannister as her Hand and no worries of anything beyond the wall, i'd say the events of the entire series are meaningless.

So deep and meaningful and pignoint...

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Davos will be secretary general of the seven soviets.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

syscall girl posted:

So how does that compare to the others in the running?

Winterfell was pretty nice before some dickhead burned down the library

Name your poorest and most deprived major character because it's Richie Rich looking at exciting maps tomorrow

Greyjoys can go get hosed and eat fish while drowning like the poverty-stricken losers they are

Dolorous Edd and Gendry. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dolorous Edd and Gendry. :colbert:

There's money you have and money you don't but Gendry should be heir to most of it

Dolorous Edd if he isn't dead can't have much of a fortune based on the whole night's watch thing

Cash on hand is useful though and there is apparently good and bad debt in Westeros