Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Just covops it back, use bounces so you don't get smartbombed.

E:or have someone courier it with the collateral set to 2x value

What are bounces? My bomber character is maybe close to flying a cov ops. I'll explore courier too, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

stackofflapjacks posted:

What are bounces? My bomber character is maybe close to flying a cov ops. I'll explore courier too, thank you

If you warp directly from gate to gate, people can time it so that smart bombs blow you up as you drop out of warp. An easy way to avoid this is to warp to another celestial body first, then to the gate.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
A new eve goon being excited about a ship worth 9m makes jaded veterans reflexively send you a hundred times that in isk because to some players a billion isk is pocket change.

When I started a year and a half ago I was incredibly nervous flying my $100m asteros around, but now I casually gate things worth ten or twenty times that much.

A guy in delta sqad has 500B isk just in plex and another 500B in super caps and then like 5 rorqs. Some people in this game are insanely rich.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

stackofflapjacks posted:

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Stereotype posted:

A new eve goon being excited about a ship worth 9m makes jaded veterans reflexively send you a hundred times that in isk because to some players a billion isk is pocket change.

When I started a year and a half ago I was incredibly nervous flying my $100m asteros around, but now I casually gate things worth ten or twenty times that much.

A guy in delta sqad has 500B isk just in plex and another 500B in super caps and then like 5 rorqs. Some people in this game are insanely rich.

I was genuinely worried because I couldn't afford insurance for my frigate. These missions were rough and I didn't want to lose it. (I'm fine now though thanks!)

I was wondering why my ship had no shield and I think it was because it cost 22.000 isk which was too much.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Do not motorboat the smartbombs.

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Floppychop posted:

Do not motorboat the smartbombs.

that goes against all of my training

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Feliday Melody posted:

I was genuinely worried because I couldn't afford insurance for my frigate. These missions were rough and I didn't want to lose it. (I'm fine now though thanks!)

I was wondering why my ship had no shield and I think it was because it cost 22.000 isk which was too much.

Join a goon spaceship guild. Ask in gs_frigates for a free frigate of your choice (unlimited quantities seriously just ask). Go on a op pinged out on jabber. Mention that you are brand new to the game and trying to learn how to tackle in your t1 frigate. Bask in the glory that is free isk in your wallet.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

ded posted:

Join a goon spaceship guild. Ask in gs_frigates for a free frigate of your choice (unlimited quantities seriously just ask). Go on a op pinged out on jabber. Mention that you are brand new to the game and trying to learn how to tackle in your t1 frigate. Bask in the glory that is free isk in your wallet.

That does sound like fun. I'll be going around east of Amarr while they work on my application in the meantime.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Stereotype posted:

A few players who couldnt come back when the horn of Goondor was sounded logged in and gave the Imperium over 1T in moongoo & other assets each. A few guys alone paid the cost of those insane Keepstar assaults.

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018
I find your lack of fleets disturbing!

Im looking into becoming an FC as I think it would be nice to have a few more fleets for people to join.

Iv been trying to look into it on the forums but coming up blank.

I can’t find any training threads, places to apply or classes available.

Anyone got any idea how to go about this? Is anyone here an FC willing to share there story on their rise up the ranks, to becoming a commander of hardened f1 pubbies? I’m interested!

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

BIgDevine posted:

Im looking into becoming an FC as I think it would be nice to have a few more fleets for people to join.

Anyone got any idea how to go about this? Is anyone here an FC willing to share there story on their rise up the ranks, to becoming a commander of hardened f1 pubbies? I’m interested!

Imma be honest, they let me FC at one point so its just a matter of joining Skirmish Command and convincing other nerds to join your fleets.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

BIgDevine posted:

the sig you're looking for is Skirmish Commanders! There should be a thread about it in Recruitment, and you can apply through the Auth page thing (click I Want To Join A New Group or something like that).

They have done some classes but the best way to learn is to backseat another FC (so you can hear how command comms works) and then just run a bunch of them. I did it a lot during the war, you even get paid!

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018
Thanks guys I’m going to join skirmish commanders then and try get some FC experience

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Caracals, Harpys, and jackdaws fuckin own and I recommend you go on, then backseat, and then lead those fleets, or random rear end 10-25 person filament fleets in T1 trailer trash cruisers are a good choice too.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

BIgDevine posted:

Thanks guys I’m going to join skirmish commanders then and try get some FC experience

This is the way, almost every great FC starts out cutting their teeth in skirmish comm.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Let's see if he can pull a Dark Shines and FC two separate super fleets

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy
That's insane.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Let's see if he can pull a Dark Shines and FC two separate super fleets

Did that - about 100 times this war.
:smithicide:

Every super fleet I FC'd took a week off my life expectancy due to how many idiots there are that acquire the wealth to own a nyx.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ACCEPT THE WARM MOIST EMBRACE OF GOON GENEROSITY, GET THEE rear end TO DELVE POST HASTE, gently caress HIGHSEC IT'S FOR LOSERS.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, highsec is a trap. The longer you stay there, the more bad habits you'll have to unlearn in nullsec.

EVE isn't like other MMOs, you're doing yourself a disservice thinking you have to "learn the game" in highsec first.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Highsec is good for offloading crap to sell. Other than that, gently caress it forever.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

orange juche posted:

ACCEPT THE WARM MOIST EMBRACE OF GOON GENEROSITY, GET THEE rear end TO DELVE POST HASTE, gently caress HIGHSEC IT'S FOR LOSERS.

Agreed. I've been patrolling around the south east looking for things to shot (killed one thing, forget to loot it, died twice, fun over all). Returning to Amarr is the most depressing part. I almost got myself exploded by the police by reflexively targeting and almost shooting a ship that came too close in highsec. This is going to happen sooner or later.

Playing cat and mouse with a saber and his friend was probably a hundred times more interesting than mission running.

I'm just hanging around Amarr while my application is being processed. I applied pretty early so I'm not dragging out this stay in high sec.

People have been really helpful so far so things have been fun.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 5, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Feliday Melody posted:

Agreed. I've been patrolling around the south east looking for things to shot (killed one thing, forget to loot it, died twice, fun over all). Returning to Amarr is the most depressing part. I almost got myself exploded by the police by reflexively targeting and almost shooting a ship that came too close in highsec. This is going to happen sooner or later.

There's a weapon safety to stop you doing this isn't there?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Kesper North posted:

There's a weapon safety to stop you doing this isn't there?

It gave me some trouble out in space so I didn't really trust it.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 5, 2021

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Feliday Melody posted:

Playing cat and mouse with a saber and his friend was probably a hundred times more interesting than mission running.

I'm just hanging around Amarr while my application is being processed. I applied pretty early so I'm not dragging out this stay in high sec.

If you want to make a relative boatload of isk (for a newbie) and have some fun with competition for the sites, roam around in a cheap T1 scanning frigate with a data analyzer and scanning skills, and start scanning down and running the Crimson Harvest and Tetrimon network node cosmic signatures Data Sites(hide the "anomalies" and ignore combat sites, relic sites, gas sites, wormholes, and Data sites with a 'difficulty' of I or II). Scanning is a bit of an advanced skill, but there are guides on the Eve University wiki that can you can get started on it, before you get accepted into the alliance and see our internal resources for newbies. And if you get good at them, the more difficult sites in Derelik pay out about 45-120 mil isk per site.(ends November 10)

You might find scanning boring, and if you do just skip it. If there's one good thing about this game, it's that there is plenty of variety in the options and playstyles available to you. T1 abyssals are also decent and newbie friendly, would recommend looking into that as well if blowing up ships is more your style :shobon:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 5, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Feliday Melody posted:

How has nobody pushed button on someone who has posted in many disparate forums on this dead comedy website?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i literally just pinged atrum about it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Like Feliday Melody and Helperdog are the newbies we need, not people like BIgDevine.

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

orange juche posted:

Like Feliday Melody and Helperdog are the newbies we need, not people like BIgDevine.

I’m here trying to learn to become an FC and help people. Do you really need to make that comment about me. Seems a little toxic, are you holding a grudge?

Do you need to talk to someone? If so, I can lend you a dollar so you can ring someone who gives a gently caress 😉

BIgDevine fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 5, 2021

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Mederlock posted:

If you want to make a relative boatload of isk (for a newbie) and have some fun with competition for the sites, roam around in a cheap T1 scanning frigate with a data analyzer and scanning skills, and start scanning down and running the Crimson Harvest and Tetrimon network node cosmic signatures Data Sites(hide the "anomalies" and ignore combat sites, relic sites, gas sites, wormholes, and Data sites with a 'difficulty' of I or II). Scanning is a bit of an advanced skill, but there are guides on the Eve University wiki that can you can get started on it, before you get accepted into the alliance and see our internal resources for newbies. And if you get good at them, the more difficult sites in Derelik pay out about 45-120 mil isk per site.(ends November 10)

You might find scanning boring, and if you do just skip it. If there's one good thing about this game, it's that there is plenty of variety in the options and playstyles available to you. T1 abyssals are also decent and newbie friendly, would recommend looking into that as well if blowing up ships is more your style :shobon:

This is a lot of good advice thanks and I'm going to save this. I have some starting funds (thanks you know who you are) which will last several dozen replacement ships. I think I'll be using those funds up first on war ships before I try exploring ways to make more money.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Make the money!

They will give you newbie tackling ships for fleet, so don’t feel guilty about spending the isk you have on you until you can fly the bigger ships with skill and style*.

*also tanking skills

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Solus posted:

Did that - about 100 times this war.
:smithicide:

Every super fleet I FC'd took a week off my life expectancy due to how many idiots there are that acquire the wealth to own a nyx.

I was one of those idiots! Thankfully, I never lost anything more expensive than an entire active flight's worth of T2 fighters (twice)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Feliday Melody posted:

Know that you don't get a notification or change of corp membership when buttons have been pushed, you gotta go into the corp menu and see if the "accept invitation" button has become available to you. If so, push button.

Buttons may have been pushed, you gotta look for evidence of it.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

shame on an IGA posted:

Know that you don't get a notification or change of corp membership when buttons have been pushed, you gotta go into the corp menu and see if the "accept invitation" button has become available to you. If so, push button.

Buttons may have been pushed, you gotta look for evidence of it.

Maybe i misunderstood the process. I emailed all my info and I thought that an invite would be sent to my pilot when everything was ready. I didn't apply in game until I got confirmation.

Am i supposed to apply in game right away?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Feliday Melody posted:

Maybe i misunderstood the process. I emailed all my info and I thought that an invite would be sent to my pilot when everything was ready. I didn't apply in game until I got confirmation.

Am i supposed to apply in game right away?

Yes

Kungfu Trader
Aug 15, 2020

Well, that escalated quickly.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, highsec is a trap. The longer you stay there, the more bad habits you'll have to unlearn in nullsec.

EVE isn't like other MMOs, you're doing yourself a disservice thinking you have to "learn the game" in highsec first.

Yeah, this is the truth. The only high-sec character I have is parked in Jita playing market games. I learned to be in low sec pirating around in Hagilar before going to null, It served me well. Null can be intimidating at first, but then you realize that it has predictable rules. Dont fly gate to gate, this avoids most bubbles and smart bombers. Learn where the jump bridges are and where they go. Get over the fear of ship loss, frigates are free, and you learn that the ship itself is the ammunition. Lots of things to learn, but you will never be alone and won't be broke for the most part.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

BIgDevine posted:

I’m here trying to learn to become an FC and help people. Do you really need to make that comment about me. Seems a little toxic, are you holding a grudge?

Do you need to talk to someone? If so, I can lend you a dollar so you can ring someone who gives a gently caress 😉

U mad bro?

Don't worry, you're just in the big time postin' leagues now, better never not post. If you got the j4g off you can relax and get used to the culture, no need to get jumpy

We're all idiots posting about games here, friend.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Okay because I'm reading this article

https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Joining_GoonWaffe_101#Process_A-1:_First-Time_SA_Member_Applications

And it says to email my information and then wait for an invite in game.

After I receive and accept that invite. I'm then supposed to register on the website.

Unless I'm misreading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

stackofflapjacks posted:

U mad bro?

Don't worry, you're just in the big time postin' leagues now, better never not post. If you got the j4g off you can relax and get used to the culture, no need to get jumpy

We're all idiots posting about games here, friend.

Maybe a lil mad at the time, id just woke up when i read it 🤷

I read it back, an thought I’d stick a wink on it, to make it a bit more friendly. I Guess that moody tone still made it PST the wonky face tho 😅

Don’t worry I will never not post!