Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Balance of Terror is a good episode but the Romulans have not appeared on Discovery as of yet (assuming they didn't show up in the most recent episode that I haven't watched)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Hell, if someone asks to watch good star trek before beginning Discovery why would you turn them down?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
In the context of "Hey, I really wanna watch this show, but I feel like I have to get up to speed with the previous shows to appreciate it" it makes sense to say there's no need. That's usually the framing for these kinds of questions. If what she actually wants is to just watch some old Trek then go for it, but that's not what I got from the original post.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The thing with Errand of Mercy is that yes it has Klingons, but it’s not going to do anything to make Discovery Klingons more interesting or understandable to you. Errand of Mercy’s Klingons aren’t even much like 80s/90s ARGHH HONOR KAPLAH Klingons, and Disco’s Klingons are a freakin weird take on those guys, not the guys from TOS. Errand of Mercy is a fun episode but you have to consider that what TOS is doing with Klingons is really its own little thing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Emma Stone joined the Tal Shiar.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1099826797632516096

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Balance of Terror is a good episode but the Romulans have not appeared on Discovery as of yet (assuming they didn't show up in the most recent episode that I haven't watched)
its funny because we watched it this evening and while it’s obviously not important for lore, it’s clear that it really, really heavily influenced that first Discovery episode. It also did a good job explaining the neutral zone and the idea of space borders.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They should probably avoid baking Oscar nominated actresses into waffle cones

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Distant Origin" and "Displaced" were great episodes, and they did a really convincing job presenting the evolved-hadrosaur species as one of the most technologically advanced species in Star Trek aside from the Borg. "Nemesis" is boring and feels like a lot of preaching to the choir, and having watched Kenneth Burns' Vietnam War 10-parter recently makes that worse. Second of all, TNG and DS9 have had plenty of "landing in the middle of two species at war" episodes that were much better because they gave it a technological twist, like the planet where the nanoprobes keep the warring parties from dying.

Edit: I take everything back. I expected the twist to be that the people rescuing Chakotay would be from the opposing side, but the actual twist was unexpected. I think the reason "Displaced" works so well is that it's like two episodes in one. The last crew member gets transported off the ship at the halfway mark. The portion with the portals to all the different environments reminds me of someone telling me about having a cat that seems to think there's such a thing as a "door to summer" or a "door to winter".

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 25, 2019

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

The thing with Errand of Mercy is that yes it has Klingons, but it’s not going to do anything to make Discovery Klingons more interesting or understandable to you. Errand of Mercy’s Klingons aren’t even much like 80s/90s ARGHH HONOR KAPLAH Klingons, and Disco’s Klingons are a freakin weird take on those guys, not the guys from TOS. Errand of Mercy is a fun episode but you have to consider that what TOS is doing with Klingons is really its own little thing.

Context is context; I was considering more the Star Trek franchise as a whole rather than Discovery specifically.

Actually "Trials and Tribbleations" might be a good one in that respect.

"Those are Klingons!?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

galenanorth posted:

"Distant Origin" and "Displaced" were great episodes, and they did a really convincing job presenting the evolved-hadrosaur species as one of the most technologically advanced species in Star Trek aside from the Borg.

Distant Origin is saddled by some of the worst science in Trek. The Voth are interesting as they seem to be by far the most advanced species technologically we've ever seen, aside from maybe things like the Caretaker. They seem way ahead of the Borg.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Captain Georgiou and her consort Pharrell Williams on the Oscars just now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Context is context; I was considering more the Star Trek franchise as a whole rather than Discovery specifically.

I think you'll find context is for kings. :smug:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman posted:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
TAS theme, best theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71dbxoFpMQc

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Astroman posted:

I'm too old-fashioned for that. I prefer the conscience.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, man, “Field of Fire” is such a let down. I thought for sure they were going for a suicide episode, with O’Brien and Bashir feeling awful for shutting that poor dude out of their holosuite adventures, and Ezri obsessing over whether she could have done more to prevent it.

LOL nope it’s a sadbrain Vulcan with a magic rifle. Why? “Logic demands it.”

I don’t say this often, but gently caress you, Deep Space Nine.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
DS9 really hated Vulcans.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

DS9 really hated Vulcans.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did you consider the possibility that maybe the Vulcan and his logic was correct?

Isn't it possible that key people needed to die for completely logical reasons?

Isn't? It? Possible?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Did you consider the possibility that maybe the Vulcan and his logic was correct?

Isn't it possible that key people needed to die for completely logical reasons?

Isn't? It? Possible?

He was probably a Logic Extremist.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phylodox posted:

No such thing

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Timeless Appeal posted:

I’m interested in “A Private Little War” becuase it deals with prime directive stuff, but I can definitely be convinced.

It's also a great example of how they would retell contemporary situations (Vietnam) with a thin veneer of sci-fi slathered over the top.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Phylodox posted:

Oh, so I'm an *extremist* if my use of Logic dictates the systematic murder of individuals and groups counter to an allegedly objective greater good?

Sounds like you've got some growing up to do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Vulcan logic makes so much more sense when you realize it's a religion.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Tell that to the MRA chuds who will whine all about how 'logical' they are.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ashpanash posted:

Tell that to the MRA chuds who will whine all about how 'logical' they are.

They are illogical. I am a Vulcan and perfect at logic

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watched the TNG episode Where Silence Has Lease, and I forgot how loving creepy the god-like being in that episode is. That episode disturbs me greatly and I hate it a lot.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

They are illogical. I am a Vulcan and perfect at logic

Any programmer can tell you that logic is a garbage in/garbage out system. Without evidence or critical examination logic is merely a way to be wrong with confidence.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ashpanash posted:

Any programmer can tell you that logic is a garbage in/garbage out system. Without evidence or critical examination logic is merely a way to be wrong with confidence.

According to the Vulcan science institute this is incorrect

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

How do you feel?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A handful of ancient-rear end Vulcans nod sagely at this and press "approve thesis" on their lecterns.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Phylodox posted:

How do you feel?

TƆƎЯЯOƆ

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I said come in! posted:

Watched the TNG episode Where Silence Has Lease, and I forgot how loving creepy the god-like being in that episode is. That episode disturbs me greatly and I hate it a lot.

Yeah it’s excellent. One of my favorite early TNG shows; their later attempts at horror were usually comparatively lame.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figure Field of Fire is just what happens when you give a Vulcan PTSD and not enough therapy, they believe themselves to be acting logically even when they're lashing out in pain.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

Yeah it’s excellent. One of my favorite early TNG shows; their later attempts at horror were usually comparatively lame.

Same. It just has this pervasive feeling of wrong throughout it that’s rarely done right. It’s almost David Lynch-like.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ashpanash posted:

Spock, why do you always say 'logic suggests' and 'probability dictates.' Shouldn't it be the other way around?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Phylodox posted:

How do you feel?

A true Vulcan would answer 'With the nerves embedded throughout my skin. Next question?'

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

skasion posted:

I want to see Nagilum and Q fight it out. I imagine multiple galaxies being destroyed.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

I want to see Nagilum and Q fight it out. I imagine multiple galaxies being destroyed.

Even better, Q basically says “uh yeah I don’t know what the gently caress this is :stare:” and peaces out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Even better, Q basically says “uh yeah I don’t know what the gently caress this is :stare:” and peaces out

I'm laughing pretty hard at the thought of this. The fact that the Star Trek universe has everything from primitive races, to literal gods and god like beings, is one of my favorite things about it.