Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cuatal posted:

Went 5-5 in Hero League and got Gold 1, what's the scoop on this?

I came back for 2.0 and I think HL was different in my day? I don't remember anymore but I don't think there were things like Gold and Silver, etc.

Open game. Click ranked. Click question mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Vikings are solidly niche, and super rad at 4 maps or so.

I miss when I could spam them in QM with a 75% winrate :(

Getting rid of this awful rotation should help.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Sonya has the skin that makes her look like Cable from X-Men, she's great

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You should watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaT9D0vW5Zg

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Praise Jesus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDrKm481D9Y

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Protip: If someone is bad, or playing poorly, or using a new hero, raging at them, accusing them of feeding on purpose, and telling them to log off because you'd rather play with AI, will not make them play better! In fact, it will probably make them play worse. Also, losing in QM is not a huge deal!

(We won, for the record. We caught them fighting a boss, finished them off, and grabbed the boss which destroyed their core. I said "gg" anyways because I am an Impeccable Sportsman)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Dehaka is fun as heck. I avoided using him so far because his kit looks really boring, but it's fun to sneak up on fools and drag them to their deaths. In general I like warriors a lot, I'm really bad with assassins. I feel like I'm either always too shy, and end up plinking ineffectively, or I overcommit and get immediately destroyed by the enemy team.

Chalk Leoric up as another dude way more fun than he seems. Entomb is way easier to land than I thought and it's fun to smash waves and heroes alike with your big stick.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Spudd posted:

So I was playing a quick AI game and something broke with Illidan, can you spot what it is?

I have the Hunt and somehow have his Demon Form, I hunted past the AI Illidan who used Metamorphosis and then I ended up being in Demon Form?????

oh jesus i know what happened

Long story short, both Metamorphosis and The Hunt use the same type of transformative state to make Illidan move how he needs to move for the given Heroic. Meta has a validator that only morphs Illidan if he's in that transformative state when it goes off, ideally to prevent Illidan A from using Metamorphosis on Illidan B and winding up with them both in Demon Form. You happened to make the stars align by passing over the Metamorphosis search effect while in the transformative state because you were using the Hunt.

Did you get the benefits of Metamorphosis, or was it purely graphical? Also, did the effect end after you used The Hunt again?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Power Bottom posted:

Long story short, both Metamorphosis and The Hunt use the same type of transformative state to make Illidan move how he needs to move for the given Heroic. Meta has a validator that only morphs Illidan if he's in that transformative state when it goes off, ideally to prevent Illidan A from using Metamorphosis on Illidan B and winding up with them both in Demon Form. You happened to make the stars align by passing over the Metamorphosis search effect while in the transformative state because you were using the Hunt.

Did you get the benefits of Metamorphosis, or was it purely graphical? Also, did the effect end after you used The Hunt again?

Purely graphical but I kept the metamorphosis state permanently even after casting The Hunt, I didn't die though so that may have fixed it. I'll be honest it was a cool bug. Also other people on my team could see it as well so it wasn't just bug on my end.

Trade Chat Troll
Jan 22, 2010
Will the Summer Loot crates be awarded for regular leveling during the event, or will they be limited to the event quests?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Trade Chat Troll posted:

Will the Summer Loot crates be awarded for regular leveling during the event, or will they be limited to the event quests?

TBD.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Power Bottom posted:

I wonder if you could do something similar with Morales and her evac.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Did they confirm that they're releasing summer loot crates, and that the stuff inside will be seasonal, like it is in overwatch?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

There is going to be summer crates.

The question is if it's like overwatch and that is how you get the new stuff, or if it's like the character crates and will just always have a summer thing

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Yukari posted:

Did they confirm that they're releasing summer loot crates, and that the stuff inside will be seasonal, like it is in overwatch?

They confirmed nothing. Summer Crates were datamined, but their contents and distribution are undisclosed.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I love Nazeebo. He's got a slow ramp up but if you take the 2% mana and HP return on Voodoo Ritual kills talent he can lane infinitely, and he starts to steamroll as you approach 20. When you complete the "200% Voodoo Ritual plus it affects heroes" quest (which should be immediately upon hitting 20 if you've been living right) you become death himself.

I especially love pubbies who take ults or skills which require them to channel, giving me ample time to surround them with gingerbread men and dunk spiders on them. Thanks for the free kills, Gul'dan!

Nazeebo's been my favourite character since I started playing and he's in such a good place right now.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I like Frog Nazeebo right now, he takes much longer to ramp up but it's hilarious to unleash wave after wave of crashing poisonous death frogs on a team fight.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
He's a little weak on maps that don't hit level 20 or don't let you farm stacks (like Hanamura). But he's monstrously OP when he can get Vile Infection running.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Spiders are like 10x better than the other Nazeebo options, now, though. Like, you are taking Spider talents at every level at every opportunity. Which means he needs work. He's super good, but he basically has THE ONE TRUE BUILD problem that a few other folks do.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bamhand posted:

He's a little weak on maps that don't hit level 20 or don't let you farm stacks (like Hanamura). But he's monstrously OP when he can get Vile Infection running.

Hanamura is like the only map he isn't cray cray on right now. His spiders do infinite damage on Immortals and on any 3-lane map, he may as well write his name across a lane (2 if it's Tomb).

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Spiders are like 10x better than the other Nazeebo options, now, though. Like, you are taking Spider talents at every level at every opportunity. Which means he needs work. He's super good, but he basically has THE ONE TRUE BUILD problem that a few other folks do.

Range is often the better choice over spiders at level 1 depending on enemy team comp.

Toshimo posted:

Hanamura is like the only map he isn't cray cray on right now. His spiders do infinite damage on Immortals and on any 3-lane map, he may as well write his name across a lane (2 if it's Tomb).

You're not gonna hit 20 or 175 stacks on Braxxis either. There are a lot of other heroes that have better Immortal damage on BoE and he won't be able to get enough stacks for 20. He's not awful on any of those maps but there will be better choices.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bamhand posted:

Range is often the better choice over spiders at level 1 depending on enemy team comp.

You're not gonna hit 20 or 175 stacks on Braxxis either. There are a lot of other heroes that have better Immortal damage on BoE and he won't be able to get enough stacks for 20. He's not awful on any of those maps but there will be better choices.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Toshimo posted:

Spiders are definitely the better build, uncontested, but I still usually win with Toads and it's just way more hilarious.

Both builds feel way over-tuned. In general Nazeebo seems like it just does a lot more easy damage than most other characters.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Every time I get teamed with a Nazeebo and see them take Humungoid, it makes me want to peace out of the game right there, regardless of game state. It hurts my soul.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Toshimo posted:

Every time I get teamed with a Nazeebo and see them take Humungoid, it makes me want to peace out of the game right there, regardless of game state. It hurts my soul.

I rarely have 175 stacks when we hit 20 because I need to detour for objectives and such. I'll still take Vile Infection if I'm 30-40 shy or so because it's clearly the best talent, but if it's a map that's forced me to spend a lot more time away from laning like Battlefield or maybe Braxis (depending how things go there, sometimes I can watch a point and keep laning, sometimes it's a solid poke-brawl) I can hit 20 with just 80-100 stacks and I'd rather take SOME useful talent than just hope the game goes on long enough. Humungoid is going to be wasted a lot of the time just because the base ult has such a low cooldown for its impact, but it's better than Fury.

If you have some trick to more consistently keep the stacks building without abandoning my team, please let me know.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Toshimo posted:

I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. A lot of games it's hard to get the stacks and you can't reliably count on hitting it before the game ends. Fury of the Storm is good for clearing if you are behind and need to catch up and clean up the map for your team but otherwise is kind of underwhelming. Then if both talents aren't what you need the flat increase on uptime for the Gargantuan is gonna be the best choice.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Spiders, default build UNLESS:

Enemy team has A LOT of frontline with no dodges, you go toads, with the goal of landing them pt. blank so all 5 hit (at will because they must engage in melee and have no escapes)

Enemy team are all WALKERS, no escapes and must walk around, e.g. Guldan, Arthas, etc. then you go zombie

You pretty much only see 4/5 or 5/5 walkers in QM, and no ranged teams are rare in draft

So apart from it being an OP build, you find yourself playing spiders most the time, this is how it works

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Bruceski posted:

I rarely have 175 stacks when we hit 20 because I need to detour for objectives and such. I'll still take Vile Infection if I'm 30-40 shy or so because it's clearly the best talent, but if it's a map that's forced me to spend a lot more time away from laning like Battlefield or maybe Braxis (depending how things go there, sometimes I can watch a point and keep laning, sometimes it's a solid poke-brawl) I can hit 20 with just 80-100 stacks and I'd rather take SOME useful talent than just hope the game goes on long enough. Humungoid is going to be wasted a lot of the time just because the base ult has such a low cooldown for its impact, but it's better than Fury.

If you have some trick to more consistently keep the stacks building without abandoning my team, please let me know.

Yeah, this is my rule of thumb more or less as well.. Vile Infection if I'm there or close, Humongoid if I'm not and it doesn't look likely to happen before the end.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Disargeria posted:

I wonder if you could do something similar with Morales and her evac.

Completely different thing. Meta/Hunt uses a transformative state that alters how the unit interacts with terrain (which is to say "not at all" in their case) whereas the Medivac is a vehicle that units can be placed into (that ignores terrain as a property of the unit rather than an effect).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah, Illidan hunting is still vulnerable, since he can be killed or VP'ed during his flight. Medivac makes heroes invulnerable, so it's definitely coded differently, though there's no guarantee it doesn't have some weird other interaction.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What do you do on Haunted Mines as Nazeebo? Stay outside and push for free or go kill skellies?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

I still think Thing of the Deep is Naz's best level 1 talent, it's just way too useful.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Spudd posted:

I still think Thing of the Deep is Naz's best level 1 talent, it's just way too useful.

:yeah: I like the spiderquest and usually go spiderbuild but that extra reach is way too hard to pass up, especially if they've got a divey comp or are better at poking than me. Since I don't know at lvl 1 if I'm going to be in a lane against other players or soaking all alone, and range is useful either way.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

After months of slacking, I finished my Team League placements on the last possible night!

I went 4-6 and got Silver 3. :unsmith:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Outside of %HP damage and chain stuns, what can you do against a good Cho'Gall in QM? I was shocked how mobile he is when played well. I guess -%armor talents would help, anything else?

After playing Chen for free this week I finally figured out how I enjoy playing him. I really love boosting Keg Smash with tanky talents on the side. Any stragglers you catch suffer a huge slow and you can body block just fine with untalented Flying Kick. Landing kegs and keeping people stuck in combat is way more important than doing Keg -> Breath of Fire combos. Ult choice is entirely situational but keg build feels much more effective than anything else. Behind Johanna he is my favorite meat mans hero now.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

p-hop posted:

Outside of %HP damage and chain stuns, what can you do against a good Cho'Gall in QM? I was shocked how mobile he is when played well. I guess -%armor talents would help, anything else?

After playing Chen for free this week I finally figured out how I enjoy playing him. I really love boosting Keg Smash with tanky talents on the side. Any stragglers you catch suffer a huge slow and you can body block just fine with untalented Flying Kick. Landing kegs and keeping people stuck in combat is way more important than doing Keg -> Breath of Fire combos. Ult choice is entirely situational but keg build feels much more effective than anything else. Behind Johanna he is my favorite meat mans hero now.

Tychus or heroes with Giant Killer/percentage based damage abilities or talents.

Or wait until tomorrow and Malthael murks him super hard.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

p-hop posted:

Get you some Leoric, not only for the Cho'Gall erasing but for the fun meat mans.

e: sorry, bone mans**

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

p-hop posted:

Hope you get a three lane map, then completely dominate the opposing team in exp because they only have four heroes to soak/merc with.

This rotation is certainly not the best for that though, to be fair.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

The Shortest Path posted:

Hope you get a three lane map, then completely dominate the opposing team in exp because they only have four heroes to soak/merc with.

This rotation is certainly not the best for that though, to be fair.

Solo-queued into Cho'gall, Lucio, Lili, and Kazarim enemy team. On Hanamura. That poo poo was not okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The placements for hero league dont really seem to give you that much elasticity in where you are placing. I've won 7/7 so far but am still just getting matched against gold 1 people who are terrible. Is there a limit on how far you can climb based on your quickmatch mmr or whats the deal?