Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Condiv posted:

yeah, they're idiots. it's not like moving is expensive, nor that CoL in cities is significantly higher in cities. wish these beached whales would just pull themselves up by their bootstraps

They could, like, not vote for people who run on platforms of hex chrome in every river and coal dust in every lung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

by working on them? they're an extraordinarily commm transmission
"Well, he's great with the transmissions. Taught himself in his own backyard. Too bad he's functionally illiterate and can't read the work orders at the repair shop he wants to work at."

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I love that when I type "perez" into Google News the first result is Perez Hilton.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Check out the Muslim prayer curtain

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

zegermans posted:

They could, like, not vote for people who run on platforms of hex chrome in every river and coal dust in every lung

perhaps, if there were dem infrastracture to combat the din of republican propaganda in these states. but dems and the dnc have written that off

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
new government program idea:

pay everyone to move to cities
boom dems win

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

they just need to move to new york city

this is basically what's been happening for the past 30 years but to lexington or atlanta or wherever

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/835155017820680193

Ah

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
also this isn't the first out-migration wave to hit appalachia when the jobs dried up

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
turn em into lakes, problem solved

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

nuke it from orbit 55 golden man babies

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

zegermans posted:

Check out the Muslim prayer curtain

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

It's pretty hosed up that Brazile is allowed to come within 500 ft of any DNC event after what she did.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Condiv posted:

they just need to move to new york city

yeah, they're idiots. it's not like moving is expensive, nor that CoL in cities is significantly higher in cities. wish these beached whales would just pull themselves up by their bootstraps
This is the core of the problem, people get stuck in a bad physical location and a degree alone isn't gonna help them.

Take the stereotypical coal mine worker in some part of Appalachia who loses their job because the mine closes down. Sending them back to college isn't gonna do any good if you don't also figure out a way for them to move out of the economically depressed mining town they live in. They've got a mortgage, but there's no way that they're gonna be able to sell their house because the local unemployment is 10-15% and the area is bleeding population as anyone who can leave does, leading to a glut of homes on the market and very few buyers. Even if they could get a job elsewhere, is it gonna pay enough for them to afford two mortgage/rent payments (one for their old house and one for where they move to)?

For someone like that, the area of southern MN where I am right now would be perfect. We've got 3% unemployment overall and the company I work for has entry-level, no education required jobs paying $12-$15/hr unfilled because they literally cannot get applicants that aren't "I've been fired from my last 8 jobs and I showed up to the interview drunk"-type fuckups, and this is in an area where $12-$15/hr is actually a living wage. You're not gonna be living high on the hog, but you can afford a house on that. At one of our town hall company meetings, someone asked a senior VP if they planned to expand in our area and the guy chuckled a little bit and said something to the effect of "none of our companies around here can find people to fill the jobs we have open, let alone if we tried to expand".

I'm sure that there's plenty of folks who would be glad to move up here for one of those jobs, but they're locked into a lovely situation where they're at, and no amount of free college is gonna break them out of that. You need a comprehensive program to not only get workers trained for the jobs that exist, but also to move workers around to where those jobs are.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grey Fox posted:

"Well, he's great with the transmissions. Taught himself in his own backyard. Too bad he's functionally illiterate and can't read the work orders at the repair shop he wants to work at."

yeah, such a shame the democrats have abandoned any and all efforts to keep schools properly funded in order to make sure he could read those shop orders, but cory booker wanted to make sure charter schools had to happen

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

I have more sympathy for whales being hunted than whales that keep beaching themselves.

Literally FYGM

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i hate these people so much

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Condiv posted:

it's amazing to me that the dems know the poor and middle class in this country is going through employment related crises, and refuse to do anything to help other than say "find better jobs". like hillary intentionally shot down programs she could've spun as job retraining programs for coal workers (free university). why the gently caress would you do this if you gave a poo poo?

It's pretty easy to not do something if you're paid to not do it

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

yeah, such a shame the democrats have abandoned any and all efforts to keep schools properly funded in order to make sure he could read those shop orders, but cory booker wanted to make sure charter schools had to happen
We're in agreement on that one, except for the part where you think Democrats have any control at the state and local level outside of the coasts right now.

Seriously, who do you think has pushed for more cuts in education at the state and local levels? GOP or Dems?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Grey Fox posted:

We're in agreement on that one, except for the part where you think Democrats have any control at the state and local level outside of the coasts right now.

I wonder why? 🤔

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
drat charter schools in WV caused everything

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
trump will make WV great again by subsidizing coal heavily

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
alternative: everybody gets coal in their christmas stocking, regardless of goodness and/or religion

coal becomes a holiday item. you're welcome middle america :smugdon:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

It's pretty hosed up that Brazile is allowed to come within 500 ft of any DNC event after what she did.

it's amazing how many really bad presidential campaigns she's been a part of yet still allowed to make decisions for the party

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

*education funding bill dies in GOP-controlled committee*

UGH, loving DEMOCRATS

*GOP governor vetoes funding bill to increase education funding at all levels in state*

WHY ARE THE DEMOCRATS SO BAD

*GOP legislature slashes education across the board, immediately signed by GOP governor*

WHY WONT THE DEMS DO SOMETHING

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grondoth posted:

Chin up this is no time for worry

FFS the left has been told there's no place for them in the dems for decades, Carter broke the trucker's union, clinton destroyed welfare, and obama didn't punish the banks after they ruined everything. The kind of people who car3e deeply about bernie have been told for longer than I've been alive there's no place for them in the two parties, so they became politically inactive and discouraged and why even loving bother. The leftist movement of occupy DELIBERATELY didn't try and get involved with running candidates or other political things, all that energy dissipated once everyone started mic checking about how important it was to integrate streamlined apps into the tent city

i fear you might be mixing up cause and effect. there was never a place for the left in the two parties in the first place. they weren't adopted by the Democrats out of generosity, they muscled their way into mattering so much that they couldn't be ignored. welfare and unions didn't legally exist in the first place until the left fought for them, organizing and pushing for them in spite of both political and physical opposition

sure, the Dems sold out unions and welfare. but the reason they were able to get away with that is because the left was already in decline. the left was once able to fight for those things to be created; but now they can't even fight to stop them from being dismantled. in other words, it's not that the left became politically inactive because the Dems betrayed it, it's that the Dems betrayed it because it became politically inactive

on the one hand, it's understandable that people wouldn't bother since it is hard and takes effort to fight against the organized resistance to leftism at the highest levels of society. on the other hand, that resistance has always been there, and the left used to be able to beat it back when the elites were even stronger and the working classes were even weaker. right-to-work laws suck and are certainly a burden on unions, but unions existed a hundred years ago when the Supreme Court thought labor laws were unconstitutional because they interfered with the "right to work" and violated due process. it's hard to fight for leftism now, and it's been hard to fight for leftism since the 80s...but it was also hard to fight for leftism back in the 20s and 30s. if the left is less powerful than it used to be, it's not because conditions have gotten worse for the left, it's because the left has weakened

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

"you have to get a degree in order to live like a human being"

i mean, that sounds classist as gently caress but okay

this is what happens when merely having white skin isn't a direct guaranteed ticket to a middle class life anymore

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

And then what? This kind of mentality is what led us here. Yea, fossil fuels are killing the planet, but people have to make a living. You can't leave them to die. And you can't have a presidential candidate that says your jobs are gonna go away when he or she becomes president.

There's 50k coal miners left, and they make like 70k a year. Just pay them all a 50k/yr pension ($2.5b) and let them figure out their own reemployment

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
that's quite the user title dude

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Grey Fox posted:

Seriously, who do you think has pushed for more cuts in education at the state and local levels? GOP or Dems?

i live in a blue state and can guarantee you that the democrats have no interest in properly funding and desegregating the public school system even in states where they have complete control over the state leg

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/seanmcelwee/status/835153906955141125

Tom Price's old seat

He regularly won with 60%+, but Trump only won he district by like 1%

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Fiction posted:

i live in a blue state and can guarantee you that the democrats have no interest in properly funding and desegregating the public school system even in states where they have complete control over the state leg
Can you elaborate which state?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
*GOP controls entire federal government and a large majority of state governments*

UGH, loving DEMOCRATS

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Tom Price's old seat

ossoff also raised $1.8 million so far, which is an absolutely nuts amount for a special election congressional

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Grey Fox posted:

UGH, loving DEMOCRATS

*GOP governor vetoes funding bill to increase education funding at all levels in state*

*GOP legislature slashes education across the board, immediately signed by GOP governor*

well they could have tried not losing 900+ seats, that would have been something

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Grey Fox posted:

UGH, loving DEMOCRATS

*is too busy eating lobster risotto with donors to do anything about the destruction of the middle class*

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Grey Fox posted:

Can you elaborate which state?

you know what town has a big segregation issue? greenwich, ct. they've been real upset about bussing people to the other side of greenwich to go to public schools. it's hysterical

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
not convinced they will grab the seat, yeah they hate trump but they like price which makes them still awful people

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well they could have tried not losing 900+ seats, that would have been something
oh, word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Tom Price's old seat

Too bad the election isn't until November when all of the momentum from the initial Trump resistance will be mostly dead.

• Locked thread