Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I’m always thinking how good of names Treize Khushrenada and Lucrezia Noin are actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Personally I see them more like Pynchon names but hell, maybe Pynchon is where Tomino got his knack for naming. I have never seen anything to support this but I would love for it to be true.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A Bao a Qu is from Borges so maybe

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Charles Aznavour

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think if sochie gets a sad end because she is literally a child and makes childish decisions as a result, i still feel bad for her regardless of whether or not she """earned""" being miserable for the rest of her foreseeable future

i'm also pretty sure that post-gavanne she's clearly not taking it well that a nice dude she was just using to get loran jealous went and died for her? i mean that's an awful lot of guilt to carry around for the rest of your life because when you were a teenager you were kinda shallow and dumb about relationships

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah while it's a ending I don't interpret Sochie's ending as being sad forever. She's still in her late teens and while she grew she still has to put her emotions in order.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Wow Platinum is some top grade Gundam Name, yes.

But like... A b tier enemy pilot. One of the lesser known innovades. One of issue's blonde fuckboys maybe

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah while it's a ending I don't interpret Sochie's ending as being sad forever. She's still in her late teens and while she grew she still has to put her emotions in order.

i'm more worried about loran, tbh. i don't think he would have moved on with his life once dianna died.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/gouftroop/status/1790133266307043635?t=3lkyeAP3gvFOAWlnpRBUlA&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Man, Afterglow of Zeon is not good. They decided it was ok to hack apart the fights to save time, but keep the Nina and Kou flirting scenes in their entirety. They cut out the fight with the Mobile Armor but kept in Kou helping Kelly fix it. They added a voiceover by Nina but didn’t use it to explain any of her poo poo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lol Mayfly of Space doesn’t even explain Cima’s part in the colony gassing or that she was tricked into doing it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the old supernatural fans are melting the gently caress down its insane :3

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Utterly fascianted by this development.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.ign.com/articles/exclusive-gundam-breaker-4-interview

Bamco did an interview with IGN about Breaker 4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Summary: "We're really, really, REALLY sorry about New Gundam Breaker. That won't be happening again."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dear god who did they get to voice that announcement trailer

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

SRW 30 is front loaded with Victory Gundam; should I watch Victory Gundam?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TheMightyBoops posted:

It’s good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

It's top tier

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

TheMightyBoops posted:

If you've watched some other gundam shows, yes, definitely. If you haven't, watch some other ones first and then yes, definitely.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

it broadly has a reputation for being very interesting but not necessarily a "good story"

obviously that second part has some contention here

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

GodFish posted:

If you've watched some other gundam shows, yes, definitely. If you haven't, watch some other ones first and then yes, definitely.

I’ve seen The first UT series, all of the Cosmic Era shows and all of Wing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TheMightyBoops posted:

You are ready to stand up to the Victory.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

You are ready to stand up to the Victory.

I'd recommend Zeta first. It's a good warning for how Victory gets, but with a better show to make it all easier to get through.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

Victory is Peak Tomino Depression. Excellent if you want a window into the man's mind when he was absolutely burnt out trying to make extended toy commercials into something resembling art and is leaving his whole rear end hanging out with regard to his particular hang-ups in life.

He gets things under control later (Turn A).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd recommend Zeta first. It's a good warning for how Victory gets, but with a better show to make it all easier to get through.

People don’t need a “warning” about Victory, they can simply enjoy the show.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Victory is a very interesting gundam with its own things to say, but is also the most extreme example of the recurring problems people have with UC gundam. Be ready to read between the lines a lot and not sweat as much the literal meaning of what characters are saying. In Victory, actions speak louder, and not just because sometimes the dialogue is a total non sequitur because someone’s having a newtype moment.

Also get ready for a LOT of blood but, again, it’s a UC series helmed by Tomino

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Much as the "Kill 'Em All" Tomino moniker is fun to throw around, I think Victory is another show where it's reputation is overblown, similar to the way 08th MS Team got talked up as the most hardcore super realistic Gundam show when it absolutely is not that. Yes, Victory guillotines and lots of death and some pretty drat questionable portrayals of women, but aside from the guillotine, specifically, I don't think there's really that much more to Victory that earns that reputation as the darkest saddest most mega depressing show in the franchise. It's Tomino without antidepressants trying to make a Gundam show and getting angry, which leads to mixed results.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Arc Hammer posted:

Much as the "Kill 'Em All" Tomino moniker is fun to throw around, I think Victory is another show where it's reputation is overblown. Yes there's guillotines and lots of death and some pretty drat questionable portrayals of women, but aside from the guillotine specifically I don't think there's really that much more to Victory that earns that reputation as the darkest saddest most mega depressing show in the franchise. It's Tomino without antidepressants trying to make a Gundam show and getting angry, ending up with mixed results.

I just finished rewatching victory after rewatching zeta and it’s not even close, victory has WAY more named characters dying all the time. The reason people remember it differently, though, is that the deaths tend to happen in streaks like the shrike team. There are long stretches without anything happening that run directly into several episode runs of “this person is introduced/shows back up only to die”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still I don't think that a higher body count inherently makes for a "darker" story because if we go by that metric then 0079 wins out for killing 5 billion people in a prologue narration.

Victory is a dour, angry show made by a creator going through a bad phase in his life and I think that's a better way to preface it to a new viewer than to repeat the common refrain that it's the darkest saddest gundam there is. The former description gives a better context than the latter, which is pretty vague on details but easy to repeat.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Still I don't think that a higher body count inherently makes for a "darker" story because if we go by that metric then 0079 wins out for killing 5 billion people in a prologue narration.

what if the metric is "characters with a name dying on screen"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

also 0079 is in fact a rather dark children's cartoon, i think the 5 billion people dying in the prologue does to some extent inherently make it a dark story

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

0080 loses that metric but is still the one about an 11-year-old being traumatized by war. That's pretty loving dark for a not incredibly high body count.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

Rough check IBO had 31 named deaths and Victory has 36.

ninjewtsu posted:

also 0079 is in fact a rather dark children's cartoon, i think the 5 billion people dying in the prologue does to some extent inherently make it a dark story

It is when you think about it but it never really gets the same reputation as Victory despite also having a pretty drat high body count of named characters.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Warmachine posted:

0080 loses that metric but is still the one about an 11-year-old being traumatized by war. That's pretty loving dark for a not incredibly high body count.

i think condensing a subjective opinion like how "dark" something is into a singular quantifiable metric like this will inherently have exceptions, but if you're going to pick just one metric it seems like a pretty drat good place to start

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Rough check IBO had 31 named deaths and Victory has 36.

It is when you think about it but it never really gets the same reputation as Victory despite also having a pretty drat high body count of named characters.

How things are framed matters, Dr. Stone should be one of the bleakest shows of all time if you were to describe a rough summary

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 15, 2024

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

i just wanna point out that 0079 absolutely has a reputation for being a dark and serious story about a kid getting repeatedly traumatized by the horrors of war, and i don't think "when you think about it" is necessary

the whole franchise has that reputation really. remember how many people were predicting a downer everyone dies ending for gwitch?

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 15, 2024

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

IBO has a happier ending than Victory all things considered.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
0079 dies have rough moments but it still doesnt get the same content-warning disclaimer in discussions the way Victory does.

I'm not saying these shows aren't dark or don't have depressing elements to them. They absolutely do. I'm saying that I think, in Victory's case, that labeling is overblown. There's a grain of truth in the reputations these shows get, of course, that's where the seed of their public perception begins. But I think it's rather reductive to label a given Gundam show as "the dark one", "the martial arts one", "the lesbian one", etc, because how you react to those broad descriptions could end up turning you off of a story you might otherwise have enjoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah but also sadly we can't write wikipedia summaries for everything and need convenient, understandable shorthands

if you aren't gonna call victory "the dark one" what are you gonna call it?

yes quote me and say "the good one" go on it's very clever