Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

lol. Owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Every time I see this I crack up. They knew exactly what they were doing with the eyecatch placement.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think the Gundam 00 writers did wang liumei dirty

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MinerEdgar1/status/1790940372442693638?t=zg3YhmZCk4-p6FufVPLhDA&s=19

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kanos posted:

Every time I see this I crack up. They knew exactly what they were doing with the eyecatch placement.

I think I was a good 15~ episodes into Victory before I realized the eye catch was slowly changing each episode.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Stairmaster posted:

You could say it's one of the worst episodes in the whole series.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Everyone posts how Duker Iq introduces himself to the series but not how he goes out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u86RSIINJ5w

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Mister Olympus posted:

Everyone posts how Duker Iq introduces himself to the series but not how he goes out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u86RSIINJ5w

And this was after he committed mass murder, biker heaven will let anyone in.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GodFish posted:

And this was after he committed mass murder, biker heaven will let anyone in.

Are you sure that he's not allowed in because of the mass murder?

I mean, biker heaven previously admitted Tetsuo Shima, and he blew up part of the moon. Biker heaven seems like it should be the kind of place for people who start fights and kick rear end. Morality is somewhat lower on the entry criteria.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

It's worse than that. In the end, she and her whole subplot feel pointless. There's not really much that happens with her around that wouldn't happen with her gone in the end, despite a lot of screentime.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

She doesn't really get all that much screen time, but I do agree that she's largely a dead end character with no payoff.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

She doesn't really get all that much screen time, but I do agree that she's largely a dead end character with no payoff.

I'm going to recycle my Unicorn "that's the point" argument here, and it is stated as much in the text as I recall when Nena kills her. Liu Mei thinks she's Alejandro, the main character taking the reins of the Celestial Being project and taking revenge on the world that spurned her and building a better one from the ashes. But she's not. She's a rich failchild with delusions of grandeur. She tried to play puppetmaster like Alejandro but she isn't half as good at this as Ribbons is. Nena killing her is essentially the consequences of thinking you're the main character when really you're the lesson to the others catching up to her and contextualizes the contrast between how she acts when she's on screen vs the amount of time and importance she gets when she is on screen.

Whether you think 00 manages to cash that check is another matter, of course. Much like my Unicorn "Laplace's Box being a giant letdown is the point" argument.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Okay, but Laplace's Box, for better or for worse, was an underpinning element of the entire story. Wang Liu Mei is a side character who shows up a couple of times and has like two dozen lines in the show before she dies at the hands of another character who was also narratively spent(and then dies herself almost immediately after). There's extremely questionable narrative value in Wang Liu Mei almost exactly repeating Alejandro's character arc of rich failperson who thinks they're a master manipulator in control but is actually being duped by Ribbons, because Alejandro already had that arc on screen and when Wang Liu Mei does it Ribbons has already long been established as the powerful and competent main villain given that he has successfully bamboozled and controlled the entire world.

Almost nothing about 00S2 changes at all if Wang Liu Mei had ridden off into the sunset after season 1, whereas if you deleted Laplace's Box Unicorn would change substantially.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Her thread is that she was forced into being the family heir, a position she had no interest in, and sh tries to use CB as a way to change the world in order to get out of that responsibility.

Which isn't that far off from a lot of the historic examples of failsons-cum-revolutionaries, really.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Her thread is that she was forced into being the family heir, a position she had no interest in, and sh tries to use CB as a way to change the world in order to get out of that responsibility.

Which isn't that far off from a lot of the historic examples of failsons-cum-revolutionaries, really.

Yes, but what does she actually add to the story other than looking good in a qipao? We have one Alejandro, why do we need two?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Alejandro could probably rock a qipao.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
She also looks good in a little khaki jungle outfit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Yes, but what does she actually add to the story other than looking good in a qipao?

I sometimes wonder if that may have been all of it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Midjack posted:

It was definitely significant. My problem with her and with 00 in general is that everyone talks a lot about changing the world, but very few of them talk about what they're changing the world into. Setsuna, Lockon, and Alleluja all have concrete anti-war reasons, but... I cannot for the life of me recall a concrete vision from anyone else for why they signed up with CB's concept of "peace through superior firepower."

Which I think is a big part of the plot--the protagonists were trusting in the nebulous plan from the computer that everything would go well, meanwhile Ribbons et. al. already had designs to create an autocratic world government with them at the top of the pile. Part of me is also convinced that this might have been part of 00's social commentary but my thoughts on that are less fully formed aside from there being a good chance 00's progression into everything getting shittier was commentary on the War on Terror.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I do believe the novels and manga that came out at the same time filled in more of the backstory for CB's periphery.

As for Wang she's another example of people who are fed off negative impulses, Pride that you're the next stage of humanity or anger that you were forced into a role you didn't want, and she's lashing out at others because of that. She's just like Ribbons in that her driving force is anger that she has been pigeonholed and wants to take control to prevent that from happening again. The irony being that it isn't the richest scions or the genetically enhanced that will trailblaze humanity's future but a child soldier whose traumatic upbringing disabused them of faith in anything except the most idealist beliefs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Well, provided said child soldier has magic genes that mark him out as being extremely special and important and is given an environment where he's constantly bathed in the magic radiation that awakens that potential.

But that's mostly only a big thing in the movie, rather than in S2 where Setsuna being an innovator is mostly something that makes Ribbons Very Mad.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 18, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

A lot of it, probably, but 00 season 1 felt like it had much bigger ambitions than season 2 executed on. That is, it was going with all these viewpoints, and juggling all these ideas, and then in season 2 it stumbled about when trying to bring it all together.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

K so due to recent discussion I started on Victory Gundam last night.

Couple quick impressions.

- this opening music is pretty cheerful and upbeat, is this setting the tone or
- Uh, I guess they aren't gonna explain the current situation or anything, am I sure this is the 1st episode?
- This Uso kid already knows all these people, and they are in the middle of some story arc, maybe this is like the 3rd or 4th episode and I messed up the order somehow?
- This Chronicle guy is a dick, but seems pretty smart putting together intel on the fly to find people.
- Uso is a pretty brave kid and good pilot right up front. Seems a bit different from Amuro / Camile / Judau ie he seems already on board with whatever the cause involved here, which I have no clue about, because I still think maybe this is like part way into the opening story arc?
- Multi-part mobile suits are a bit gimmicky, but they used it in interesting ways in the 1st fight, I didn't hate it.
- Everyone getting time on screen so far seems fairly competent / smart on both sides.
- Mech designs seem pretty cool, character design and animation started out p strong, liking all that part so far. Fights were decent.

Overall, decent ep, but a bit 'wtf is going on here I was expecting a typical UC opening arc and didn't get one'. I didn't hate the slight breaking of the formula, but the whole thing felt like they cut out part of a story kinda randomly and decided to roll with that for the opener. Weird choice.

Looking ahead it seems the next 2 eps are... flashback episodes? Ok did someone just drop the storyboards for the 1st season and shuffle them?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's 100% what happened. Suits wanted the Gundam to show up in the first episode and they shuffled the rest out of order to make it happen.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arc Hammer posted:

That's 100% what happened. Suits wanted the Gundam to show up in the first episode and they shuffled the rest out of order to make it happen.

:psyduck:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It was probably a lot less of a big deal in an age where your first introduction to a series might be flipping to a channel and watching episode 3, starting from 10 minutes in, because there wasn't anything else on

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

It was probably a lot less of a big deal in an age where your first introduction to a series might be flipping to a channel and watching episode 3, starting from 10 minutes in, because there wasn't anything else on

Yeah that's fair, good to remember the context in which it was aired.

Still though by design to just start up mid-story was definitely weird vs the previous shows starting with the same constraints. Did the toy companies have more of a stranglehold on production this time for Victory?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

That Works posted:

Yeah that's fair, good to remember the context in which it was aired.

Still though by design to just start up mid-story was definitely weird vs the previous shows starting with the same constraints. Did the toy companies have more of a stranglehold on production this time for Victory?

This is right after Bandai bought Sunrise, which is why Tomino was so depressed/pissed off.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Apparently it wasn't even the execs. And it puzzled the heck out of people at the time, too. Victory Gundam is a very weird project.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Its funny cuz you guys all said it was hosed up but I didnt expect it to be so apparent in random ways right from Ep 1 lol.

I'll get into Ep2 tonight and livepost after its done unless people think I shouldnt

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That Works posted:

Its funny cuz you guys all said it was hosed up but I didnt expect it to be so apparent in random ways right from Ep 1 lol.

I'll get into Ep2 tonight and livepost after its done unless people think I shouldnt

Ain't like your overriding discussion on all the ongoing Gundam shows or anything.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That Works posted:

:justpost:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Victory Gundam Ep 2

- OP is still pretty snazzy, cheerful vibes. Same for ED song tbh.

- This is more like a Gundam ep 1. Kid steals a mobile suit.
- OK this was loving rad. Uso parachutes onto a moving mobile suit, kicks the guy out of his own cockpit (fight in the 3d screen cockpit was actually p neat and disorientingly well animated). lmao now he tosses the guy out and kicks him in the dick. Judau tier poo poo kicking so far. Good job Uso.
- bit of good comic relief with Uso being absolute poo poo at flying at the start. Shakti is a wet blanket.
- Ok Uso got real good at this mobile suit thing, way better and more effective than the other major protags this early. Yeah killed another MS, Uso is good folks.
- Shakti is a major wet blanket. Unrequitted love saga coming up as Uso races into the city to protect some woman who prints his emails.
- The masked villain is kind of poo poo in this one and not respected by his peers. Bit more of an early Mashimyre vibe but without the stalker bit.

Ok still decent but another flashback episode next lol this pacing and structure is bananas.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think F91 collapsing into a mess for a variety of reasons also didn't help Tomino with Victory either

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think F91 collapsing into a mess for a variety of reasons also didn't help Tomino with Victory either

Right as 0083 was a huge hit, too. (A huge hit aided by a lot of people ditching F91 to work on a smoother production)That was awkward for everyone.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Victory Ep3

- Helicopters, everywhere, everything is a helicopter. Arm copter cat eyed zaku thing is kinda rad though ngl.
- Lot of dead bodies on the screen this early in a gundam. :ohdear:
- Kinda neat that the location, timeline and tech levels of this series are ambiguous but it all works well.
- Uso straight up deciding when and how to kill something in order to protect civilians is cool, still getting the vibe Uso is competent af. Yeah hes clowning on veterans on like his 3rd flight.
- helicopters and flying :goku: also this shokew is a loving tank...
- Folks are real scared of this guillotine thing being mentioned, hype is p decent.
- Oh drat :rip: mom dead baby not, Tomino you dick.
- Uso *flies over 1000 dead bodies just vibing. Also Uso *watches one guy trying to kill him get shot, freaks out.
- drat this city got loving rocked. Tbh good pacing in the single eps, lots happening here for a lot of characters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/TrafalgarLog/status/1792009552323371050

Translation of a quite rare novella by one of the episode writers of Gundam Z and ZZ about Sayla and Leina

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what the gently caress was the point of awakening of the trailblazers

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If they don't get up, they'll be late for work at the trailblazing factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Stairmaster posted:

what the gently caress was the point of awakening of the trailblazers

So they can communicate with aliens