Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yeah but at the end of season 2 there was no reason to believe they'd have problems doing so. The film introduces all of that

Also what was the point of Shaman Descartes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

the aliens learned to communicate via violence

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That and math are universal languages.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

if you think about it the aliens introduced violence first

how were they supposed to know the rest of the universe didn't work on the principles of assimilation

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/1792240129450373538?t=9-r7mcsMS93r1qj3wpLlGA&s=19

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

WOW COOL ROBOT

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

So this is going to be a map in Odaiba or Yokohama that has the statue, right?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If it's Odaiba and they went all in and added in Nijigasaki School idol club as well I'd maybe consider getting a COD game for like a minute

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/mobilesuitmia/status/1792220967906755071?t=f3SyWs45dZJFA9hgHJTt_Q&s=19

Missed opportunity to make Char a space Texan, tbh.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
How large is the overlap between Call of Duty players and Gundam fans?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Spelling Mitsake posted:

How large is the overlap between Call of Duty players and Gundam fans?

We'll have to file the results under Wow! Cool Robot.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finished the original Gundam, I really enjoyed 90% of it. I didn’t much like the episode where they concluded that the 5 year olds needed to stick with the teenager soldiers on the war ship including the last battle where a solar beam existed, and I wish the women in the show were allowed to much more than be sad about men and die. Great show otherwise, though, and am definitely going to keep watching the rest of the series.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/KabanBang/status/1792363021504741872

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr E posted:

I finished the original Gundam, I really enjoyed 90% of it. I didn’t much like the episode where they concluded that the 5 year olds needed to stick with the teenager soldiers on the war ship including the last battle where a solar beam existed, and I wish the women in the show were allowed to much more than be sad about men and die. Great show otherwise, though, and am definitely going to keep watching the rest of the series.

Sayla was the second best pilot on the White Base. Made ace against Zeon mobile suits, and her and Kai got scenes with Amuro emphasizing that those three are the Good Pilots, while Hayato (and to a lesser extent Job John) are The Other Pilots.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr E posted:

The manga MSG: The Origin fixes your issues and is a great read in general. It's a retelling of the original anime series, and the rise of Zeon/Char, with the whole conplete story to work with and adapt from the outset rather than writing week-to-week fighting to be given enough episodes to tell the whole story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Sayla was the second best pilot on the White Base. Made ace against Zeon mobile suits, and her and Kai got scenes with Amuro emphasizing that those three are the Good Pilots, while Hayato (and to a lesser extent Job John) are The Other Pilots.

sayla was the second best pilot despite almost exclusively piloting the goofy toyetic combiner forms. those things made a guntank look like the turn a by comparison.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah Sayla was able to keep up with Amuro in a dinky little Core Fighter.

That's not to say women in general in the original series were allowed to do a lot, admittedly, but there's at least one notable exception.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

kycilia is living proof that girl power is just as capable of being brutal and fascistic as boy power

she does die and experiences something us normal humans with hearts might identify as sadness over a man dying, but she also shoots gihren through the skull

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

is shooting space hitler really such a bad thing though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's not it loving rules

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It is slightly devalued if you shoot him because you want to be space hitler.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It’s so rad the 00 Trans Am system turns all the Celestial Being suits into a variation on the Formula 91.

Also I started rewatching the original series yesterday with my girlfriend, who’s never seen it but wants to know Char’s whole deal. The first two episodes are really good! Setting the stage with how dangerous the war is, the random casualties, the variety of ways you can be killed by random mobile suit fire. But it also does a great job showing how dangerous the Gundam is, while already setting up recurring themes with Bright being too demanding of Amuro and Amuro’s hesitance over killing human beings versus the abstraction of destroying a mobile suit.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Sure, I'm definitely exaggerating, and it didn't ruin the show or anything. I definitely will check out the Origin manga at some point.

The last few episodes were especially great, I loved the Gundam walking around missing a head and arm on autopilot and the final shot to the Zeong ruled. Char mostly forgetting his original goal to duel Amuro for a while was great, and his "I'm sure you'll get along with your sister" before blowing Kycilia up was hilarious.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Honestly between Sayla and (most of) Mirai I thought that Original Gundam was significantly better about women than I thought a late 70s production would be.

Still not great, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's not really any way for mirai to stand out on the battlefield. when she does her job well, it should be unnoticeable. so instead, her story in msg is all romance. her poindexter fiance, sleggar the chad, and finally uptight anxiety-ridden bright.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The CoD collab is apparently Grandpa, Zaku, and Aerial

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God that just looks so weird and bad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah that’s worse than the skinny Space Marines.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Wow that looks like poo poo.

Like I guess it makes sense that it's like a person doing a bad cosplay, because that's what it is, but man. Couldn't even throw some color on those ammo pouches?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It’s really obvious but I gotta say it: it’s funny that Gundam of all franchises is in a major propaganda outlet for the American war machine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ever since MW2 COD has gotten so bizarrely jingoistic. I know that modern Warfare 1 has the SAS missions doing the typical "hard men hard choices" BS but it really derailed in 2009 and went wacky with it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The CoD collab is apparently Grandpa, Zaku, and Aerial

They should've done the Exia or something slim enough to at least look decent with human proportions and scale.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Some of the earlier games did make vague hints at anti-war sentiment, like featuring anti-war quotes or figures for the cost of big military equipment. But I don’t think you can do any plausible deniability when you hire Oliver North as a consultant on a game or attribute an American war crime to the Soviet Union.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would have genuinely been hilarious if they decided to advertise Freedom. Make the super-AMERICA Military Shooter have Freedom and Justice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Some of the earlier games did make vague hints at anti-war sentiment, like featuring anti-war quotes or figures for the cost of big military equipment. But I don’t think you can do any plausible deniability when you hire Oliver North as a consultant on a game or attribute an American war crime to the Soviet Union.

Which one was the American War crime again? Was that in COD5?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Black Ops

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

COD was cooler when it had weird poo poo like being able to play Zork in it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Arc Hammer posted:

Which one was the American War crime again? Was that in COD5?

The Highway of Death thing, which is what I was remembering, was in the Modern Warfare reboot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's not really any way for mirai to stand out on the battlefield. when she does her job well, it should be unnoticeable. so instead, her story in msg is all romance. her poindexter fiance, sleggar the chad, and finally uptight anxiety-ridden bright.

She's the White Base's helmswoman. It's entirely the writers' choice whether or not she gets to pull off sicknasty cruiser stunts, as Eugene in IBO regularly demonstrates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

She's the White Base's helmswoman. It's entirely the writers' choice whether or not she gets to pull off sicknasty cruiser stunts, as Eugene in IBO regularly demonstrates.

Eugene in IBO has access to a magical borderline indestructable ship and the ability to hook it to his brain.