Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Mustang reveal in Sydney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heYEa47dwKA&t=2728s

Also, it's on Ford's website:

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/2015//

That's loving SEXY.

Tide fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tide posted:

Mustang reveal in Sydney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heYEa47dwKA&t=2728s

Also, it's on Ford's website:

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/2015//

That's loving SEXY.

:drat: That's nice. I'm still watching, do they bring out the coupe at some point?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Don't think so. But the Ford website is full of pictures.

Autoblog probably has the best coverage of it thus far: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/05/2015-ford-mustang-official-photos-reveal-info/

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 5, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

It's cool that they're going to continue to sell them to hipsters.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
OK that looks so much damned better in those pictures. I irrationally want one :|

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm weirded out by the front, still - something about that slope annoys me. I do like the rear, though.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't find anything about this redesign that I don't like. It's fantastic.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I know, it's just astounding to me how good it looks - muscular, refined, athletic.

Some technical details:
IRS - FINALLY
Revised front suspension
Same wheelbase but 1/5th inch shorter overall
Rear track is up from 62.1" to 64.9", with an overall width that is 1.5" wider than current gen
Pax volume is up from 81 cft to 84.5 cft, with more leg, shoulder and hip room in front
Base engine is the 3.7L V6, with the turbocharged 4 cyl ecoboost rated at 305hp and 300 lbft torque (same as the V6, I believe?)
Coyote gets new heads, higher flow ports, larger in/ex valves, new cams, rebalanced crankshaft, forged connecting rods. Output is projected at 420hp and 390lbft of torque
New linkage for the 6sp manual, paddle shifters for the auto with rev matching
Estimated 200 lb weight drop

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
First the C7 Corvette, now this. Holy poo poo are we in some kind of golden age for V8 American cars. :stare:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tide posted:

Base engine is the 3.7L V6, with the turbocharged 4 cyl ecoboost rated at 305hp and 300 lbft torque (same as the V6, I believe?)

The V6 is rated at 280 lb ft at 4250 rpm, and the 2.0T in the Focus ST makes 250 lb ft at just 2500 rpm, I'd guess that the 2.3T is going to make its 300 lb ft at similarly low revs and have a redline at least as high as the V6's 7000 rpm.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Why was I thinking the V6 had 300 hp? I dunno. Anyway, this '15 is seriously making me regret installing the blower on my '12. I probably don't need to see one in person because that would be bad for my credit rating and marriage.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tide posted:

Why was I thinking the V6 had 300 hp? I dunno. Anyway, this '15 is seriously making me regret installing the blower on my '12. I probably don't need to see one in person because that would be bad for my credit rating and marriage.

2011+ V6 is rated at 305 hp, but all of the power is up high.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
They even moved the cup-holders (kind of) out of the way! :newlol:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Necc0 posted:

That's nice, since they're in a pretty annoying spot if you have the manual transmission in the current cars.

I reallllly want to see what a new GT500 or GT350 will look like in this style.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The more I look at this the more I fall in love with it. I wonder how it would look with grill-mounted fog lights like the current generation, I'm sure that someone in the aftermarket will figure it out if ford doesn't. Frankly it doesn't need them, the car is gorgeous as is.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's cool that they're going to continue to sell them to hipsters.

Whoa, I may need to change my opinion on the roofline.

That looks fantastic!

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Tide posted:

Never regret :argh:

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Looks like a Camaro crossed with a SN95 :saddowns:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

For the first time, a modern car occupies my laptop's background.

I can really see the refinement in this style; someone on my facebook said it looked almost European, but I think Ford's finally managed to figure out how to neo-retro while still keeping true to the '65, which is important for the 50th anniversary cars.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The regret pretty much ended on a lunch run today but still. The '15 is an absolute sexy beast of a car. However, the wife likes the 'verts and my '12 will be paid off in Feb '16, so.....maybe.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

No Camaro 1LE killer though... I'll hold out for that

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I really hope Ford put some solid engineering into the IRS, because if not they are going to have an awful mess on their hands.
It's literally the one thing that auto-journalists have been screaming about for ages and it is going to be picked to death.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Very good point. At the same time doing yet another generation of live axle - especially for a world car - would have earned them no end of ridicule, no matter how good the live axle was.

They pretty much have to knock it out of the park on the IRS to not get a world of poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Crossposting from the New Cars thread:

Looks like a fairly sensible layout, big beefy control arms, none of that multilink nonsense. And basic, straightforward angle adjustments!

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

So does that mean the front will get camber adjustment?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

frozenphil posted:

I really hope Ford put some solid engineering into the IRS, because if not they are going to have an awful mess on their hands.
It's literally the one thing that auto-journalists have been screaming about for ages and it is going to be picked to death.

From the sound of things, it looks like Ford Australia have had their hands in helping with this. And they do a good IRS for the Falcon.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aol news posted:

The second big change is the independent rear suspension (IRS). This system allows the wheels on the rear axle to move independently of those on the front. Prior to this, all four wheels in the Mustang were linked together, meaning each bump in the road on one side of the car made the entire car move.

:cawg:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Bumming Your Scene posted:

No Camaro 1LE killer though... I'll hold out for that

It sounds like the GT will be pretty drat special. Ford claims the 2015 GT will outrun the previous B302 without issue.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
"I want the high-resolution pictures from the 2015 Mustang Gallery that Ford has taken the liberty of breaking into dozens of tiny tiles"

This presumes you have ruby, wget, and imagemagick installed. View source and figure out how tiling works for each image. Don't hammer Ford's website.

Figure out how many tiles wide and tall the image is, change the URL and filenames, run each image in its own directiory.

Ruby code:
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

(0..10).each do |row|
  (0..14).each do |col|
    `wget [url]http://www.ford.com/global/2015mustang/img/gallery/music-man/tiles/TileGroup0/4-#[/url]{col}-#{row}.jpg`
  end

tile_jpegs = (0..14).map do |col|
    "4-#{col}-#{row}.jpg"
  end

`convert #{tile_jpegs.join ' '} +append 4-#{row}.jpg`
end

row_jpegs = (0..10).map do |row|
  "4-#{row}.jpg"
end

`convert #{row_jpegs.join ' '} -append musicman.jpg`
Huge: http://i.bf1c.us/musicman-huge.jpg

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

The more I look at this the more I fall in love with it. I wonder how it would look with grill-mounted fog lights like the current generation, I'm sure that someone in the aftermarket will figure it out if ford doesn't. Frankly it doesn't need them, the car is gorgeous as is.

As cool as they look, I honestly hope they don't do those this time. Every idiot that has one, seems to drive with them on all the time.

That said, it's an amazing looking car. Not completely sold on the hood and front fender strakes, but it is a sexy car that really looks well refined.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
So what is Ford's plan with the 2.3 and V6 in terms of model placement? It's obvious the States will get all 3 engine options, but will they say, only offer the 2.3 and the V8 in Europe, while other parts of the world only get the V6 and V8?

Or is this an overlap period and they plan to eventually phase out the V6 altogether? Because while the 2.3 looks great on paper, I'd dont know if it's going to have the same sound or instant torque as the V6.

These are going to sell insanely well in Australia as long as the base model is 30-34k. Hoping New Zealand doesn't get jacked on the pricing like we did with the 86.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jomo posted:

So what is Ford's plan with the 2.3 and V6 in terms of model placement? It's obvious the States will get all 3 engine options, but will they say, only offer the 2.3 and the V8 in Europe, while other parts of the world only get the V6 and V8?

Or is this an overlap period and they plan to eventually phase out the V6 altogether? Because while the 2.3 looks great on paper, I'd dont know if it's going to have the same sound or instant torque as the V6.

They haven't announced that much yet. Today (well, yesterday) is the first official communication about it in any level of detail. What engines go to which market is probably dependent on how cheap and easy it'll be to get them on sale there, and now that much of what the car is is public, Ford can actually do this without risking a leak.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Necc0 posted:

This right here is reason enough to upgrade...The IRS's just the cherry.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jomo posted:

So what is Ford's plan with the 2.3 and V6 in terms of model placement?
Word from my friends who work at Ford Australia is that Australia will be getting the turbo four and V8 editions.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jomo posted:

While I have no idea how the voodoo works, the turbo 4 is supposed to have 100% torque available as low as 1500 rpm and have a very flat curve.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jomo posted:

First, if you get a V6 mustang, you do not like cars enough to care. Secondly, the 2.3 I-4 is supposed to reach peak torque before the V6. Off throttle response will be based on gearing and tuning.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CarForumPoster posted:

First, if you get a V6 mustang, you do not like cars enough to care.

Hello, I'm a guy who likes cars a ton. I wanted a new RWD daily driver 1.5 years ago, drive about 17k miles a year including some city slogging, and preferred to shop in the <$23k range. My choices were mod motor GTs, another Miata, Genesis Coupe, or blowing the budget for an FR-S.I bought a 2013 V6 instead and I'm pretty happy with it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CarForumPoster posted:

First, if you get a V6 mustang, you do not like cars enough to care.
2011 happened, why are we still thinking like this?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Probably because his name is literally CarForumPoster.

Alternatively he's just an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Now I really really can't wait to see what the GT350 is going to end up looking like. That might be enough to convince me to do something very silly and upgrade.